#1471 - Monday, June 23, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 25, 2003

      Photo by Sam on NDS

      #1471 - Monday, June 23, 2003 - Editor: Jerry

      from Daily Dharma

      "Everyone of us is basically uninformed but not stupid. We
      just learn at different speeds and in different ways. So Just
      slow down. Have a cup of tea. Relax. You don't understand
      everything overnight. It's OK!!!! A tortoise is no more stupid
      than a hare just because it is slower or takes a different
      route. It's never foolish to ask for help or clarification
      when studying or practicing. That's what teachers and fellow
      students are for. Even teachers don't know it all, let alone
      remember it all. If your teacher is a good one they will be
      the first to admit this. And a good teacher will never
      belittle you but guide you as best he can along the path at
      your own speed. After all they were students once too and
      indeed they still are all their lives. All of that fear is in
      the mind. Just let it go. Laugh when the frustrations come and
      get on with life, studies, practice, or whatever you need to
      do. Sometimes a slowly sipped cup of tea can be a better
      teacher than any sutra page are ceremony. So enjoy that cup of
      tea because it too is filled with Dharma."

      ~ Tasogare Shinju

      from The Other Syntax

      "It can be said that at this moment in our history, we human beings are
      readers, regardless of whether we read philosophical themes or instructional
      manuals.  A worthwhile challenge conceived by don Juan for such readers is
      to become readers of infinity."

      Readers of Infinity -A Journal of Applied Hermeneutics
      (Published in The Warriors' Way magazine, January 1996)
      Carlos Castaneda

      from AllspiritInspiration

      In a small affair or in a big affair, first consult
      yourself and find out if there is any conflict in your
      own being about anything you want to do. And
      when you find no conflict there, then feel sure that a
      path is already made for you. You have but to open
      your eyes and take a step forward, and the other
      step will be led by God.

      'A Meditation Theme for Each Day'
      Inayat  Khan

      Janaka
      NDS

      THE LINE OF LONGING

      Dear friend,
      I understand the fascination,
      the lure, if you will,
      of dropping your line in the depths
      to see what you might hook.

      But what do you expect to land
      when you cloak your deadly barbs
      with tender treats?

      All you can get are fish.
      Shiny and multi-colored perhaps.
      Some large, others usually small.

      But fish nonetheless.
      And for what?
      To bake and to feast upon with dinner guests?

      Careful of those bones.

      Or maybe to mount above your mantel piece,
      that others may look upon with awe?

      Fish are just fish,
      whether upon the shore flopping,
      or in your belly,
      they just rot and become quite smelly.

      There is something else,
      much greater to be found in the depths.

      The hook cannot be covered with deceit,
      for its eyes see past all falsehood.

      And the line must be very long,
      for down into the very bottom of Silence
      must it sink.

      No bait? you ask.

      Oh, there is bait.
      It is the bait of longing.

      And when that longing
      squirms and twists
      and makes all sorts of wiggling motions
      as it can’t sit still,
      get ready;

      for the bite comes.

      And when it happens
      pull and pull,
      and don’t give up,
      even though the catch seems bigger than the world.

      Keep pulling and pulling.

      Feeling that pull.

      And don’t stop
      until you flop upon the shore.

      --Janaka

      Janaka currently lives in the Monterey Bay Area in California
      where he is a Waldorf teacher, artist, writer and STORYTELLER.
      He is the author of ‘Silent Ripples: Parables for the Soul’
      and ‘Footprints Along the Shore of an Incoming Tide.’ He can
      be reached at
      janaka_om@... or visit his website at
      www.janakastagnaro.com

      Western Nondualism in the Fifties:

      Neville Goddard

      (From INTA Bulletin, “New Thought” summer 1953)

      FUNDAMENTALS -- NEVILLE Author of "The Power of Awareness"

      WITH so vast a subject, it is indeed a difficult task to
      summarize in a few hundred words what I consider the – most
      basic ideas on which those who seek a true understanding of
      metaphysics should now concentrate. I shall do what I can in
      the shape of three fundamentals. These fundamentals are:
      Self-Observation, Definition of Aim, and Detachment.

      The purpose of true metaphysics is to bring about a rebirth or
      radical psychological change in the individual. Such a change
      cannot take place until the individual first discovers the
      self that he would change. This discovery can be made only
      through an uncritical observation of his reactions to life.
      The sum total of these reactions defines the individual's
      state of consciousness, and it is the individual's state of
      consciousness that attracts the situations and circumstances
      of his life.

      So the starting point of true metaphysics, on its practical
      side, is self-observation in order to discover one's reactions
      to life, reactions which form one's secret self – the cause of
      the phenomena of life.

      With Emerson, I accept the fact that “Man surrounds himself
      with the true image of himself . . . what we are, that only
      can we see."

      There is a definite connection between what is outer and what
      is inner in man, and it is ever our inner states that attract
      our outer life. Therefore, the individual must always start
      with himself.

      It is one's self that must be changed.

      Man, in his blindness, is quite satisfied with himself, but
      heartily dislikes the circumstances and situations of his
      life. He feels this way, not knowing that the cause of his
      displeasure lies not in the condition nor the person with whom
      he is displeased, but in the very self he likes so much. Not
      realizing that "he surrounds himself with the true image of
      himself" and that "what he is, that only can he see," he is
      shocked when he discovers that it has always been his own
      deceitfulness that made him suspicious of others.

      Self-observation would reveal this deceitful one in all of us;
      and this one must be accepted before there can be any
      transformation of ourselves.

      At this moment, try to notice your inner state. To what
      thoughts are you consenting? With what feelings are you
      identified? You must be ever careful where you are within
      yourself.

      Most of its think that we are kind and loving, generous and
      tolerant, forgiving and noble; but an uncritical observation
      of our reactions to life will reveal a self that is not at all
      kind and loving, generous and tolerant, forgiving and noble.
      And it is this self that we must first accept and then set
      about to change.

      Rebirth depends on inner work on one's self. No one can be
      reborn without changing this self. Any time that an entirely
      new set of reactions enters into a person's life, a change of
      consciousness has taken place, a spiritual rebirth has
      occurred.

      Having discovered, through an uncritical observation of your
      reactions to life, a self that must be changed, you must now
      formulate an aim. That is, you must define the one you would
      like to be instead of the one you truly are in secret. With
      this aim clearly defined, you must, throughout your conscious
      waking day, notice your every reaction in regard to this aim.

      The reason for this is that everyone lives in a definite state
      of consciousness, which state of consciousness we have already
      described as the sum total of his reactions to life.
      Therefore, in defining an aim, you are defining a state of
      consciousness, which, like all states of consciousness, must
      have its reactions to life. For example: if a rumor or an idle
      remark could cause an anxious reaction in one person and no
      reaction in another, this is positive proof that the two
      people are living in two different states of consciousness.

      If you define your aim as a noble, generous, secure, kindly
      individual – knowing that all things are states of
      consciousness – you can easily tell whether you are faithful
      to your aim in life by watching your reactions to the daily
      events of life. If you are faithful to your ideal, your
      reactions will conform to your aim, for you will be identified
      with your aim and, therefore, will be thinking from your aim.
      If your reactions are not in harmony with your ideal, it is a
      sure sign that you are separated from your ideal and are only
      thinking of it. Assume that you are the loving one you want to
      be, and notice your reactions throughout the day in regard to
      that assumption; for your reactions will tell you the state
      from which you are operating.

      This is where the third fundamental - Detachment - enters in.
      Having discovered that everything is a state consciousness
      made visible and having defined that particular state which we
      want to make visible, we now set about the task of entering
      such a state, for we must move psychologically from where we
      are to where we desire to be.

      The purpose of practicing detachment is to separate us from
      our present reactions to life and attach us to our aim in
      life. This inner separation must be developed by practice. At
      first we seem to have no power to separate ourselves from
      undesirable inner states, simply because we have always taken
      every mood, every reaction, as natural and have become
      identified with them. When we have no idea that our reactions
      are only states of consciousness from which it is possible to
      separate ourselves, we go round and round in the same circle
      of problems – not seeing them as inner states but as outer
      situations. We practice detachment, or inner separation, that
      we may escape from the circle of our habitual reactions to
      life. That is why we must formulate an aim and constantly
      notice ourselves in regard to that aim.

      This teaching begins with self-observation. Secondly it asks,
      "What do you want?" And then it teaches detachment from all
      negative states and attachment to your aim. This last state-
      attachment to your aim – is accomplished by frequently
      assuming the feeling of your wish fulfilled.

      We must practice separating ourselves from our negative moods
      and thoughts in the midst of all the troubles and disasters of
      daily life. No one can be different from what he is now unless
      he begins to separate himself from his present reactions and
      to identify himself with his aim. Detachment from negative
      states and assumption of the wish fulfilled must be practiced
      in the midst of all the blessings and cursings of life.

      The way of true metaphysics lies in the midst of all that is
      going on in life. We must constantly practice
      self-observation, thinking from our aim, and detachment from
      negative moods and thoughts if we would be doers of truth
      instead of mere hearers.

      Practice these three fundamentals and you will rise to higher
      and higher levels of consciousness. Remember, always, it is
      your state of consciousness that attracts your life.

      Start climbing!

      Neville

      Photo by Al Larus on NDS