#1464 - Tuesday, June 17, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 18, 2003

      Nirvana
      Formerly owned by the Murayama Family.
      155.1x202.8.
      Heian Period, 12th century.
      Important Cultural Property.
      A10599
      View enlarged image and details: http://www.tnm.jp/scripts/col/MOL1.en.idc?X=A10599

      "Silence is the language God speaks and everything else is a bad translation."

      Thomas Keating

      (contributed by Jan Sultan to SufiMystic)

      I received the following letter. Comments invited.

      Jerry

      Dear Sir,
      Does anyone know of any living teachers of the same calibre as Nisargadatta or Ramana?
      I have done EVERYTHING and still have not realised.
      I need to go beyond words and to the direct experience of THAT in and through the presence of a fully realised teacher.

      Vicki Woodyard

      Well, you need to realize at least once a day or you will become constipated.
      There are many realizers to be found, some above ground and some beneath.
      Some are beyond belief.  They must be extricated from the vaults and dusted
      off, but they can do the job.  Sitting on the" can I,  should I,  will I realize "is a
      healthy thing to do. Be sure to flush and wash your hands.  I realize that this is
      not the answer that you are seeking, but what the heck.  Why not try the
      pathless path where there is neither teacher nor student, just healthy
      realizations.
      John L.

      Namaste,
      The key word in the request is "done".
      Doing is not the way; Being is.
      When Being includes Doing, the Doing will adjust itself.

      The question is "Who is doing everything?"
      This question cannot be answered by logic, or analysis, or practice.

      The question is "Who is realizing?"
      There is nothing to be "realized". It already is. There is no one
      to "do" the "realizing". These are only words, no answers here.

      He is already in the presence of the living guru. If this is
      understood, the question is already answered.

      And beyond all that "When the student is ready, the teacher appears!"

      Gene Poole

      Dear Inquirer,

      Thank you for your interest; on the other
      hand, what is the sound of it clapping?

      You ask about calibre; am I to assume
      that you desire 'high calibre', as in
      'large bore' teachers?

      But all seriousness aside, what you seem
      to want, is to stop wanting. Well, stop.

      Perhaps  you are receiving certain impressions
      as you read this; perhaps you can identify the
      voice that is speaking to you now. Whose
      voice is it?

      Welcome, seeker, to the aggregate and
      unified world which is the internet. Here,
      you may be subject to a rigorous grinding,
      refining, and polishing process, by the means
      of subscribing to a numer of 'nondual' Yahoo
      groups, and then sincerely responding to as
      many postings as you are able. This will deliver
      the lesson of 'futility', in a fullness which will
      simply overwhelm your current frustration
      with yourself.

      Given time and participation, you will be
      subject to more than mere resurfacing;
      your substance will be polished until there
      is left nothing; and in the nanosecond of
      your realization of which, your 'realizer'
      will vanish; yet, there will be no witness
      to this non-event.

      Later, you will awaken refreshed and
      invigorated, to the dawn of a new eternal
      day; memory washed clean of troublesome
      remnants of identity, you will stagger forth
      into the light, asking: "Who Am I?"
      Robert

      I'm brand new to the group.. but the one who led me to the highest
      experience of "devotional nonduality" is Dr. David Hawkins, author of
      Power vs. Force.. I believe he is a true living master..

      http://www.beyondtheordinary.net/drhawkins.shtml

      http://www.dowsers.info/map.htm

      I'm willing to be wrong, however. So do your own checking.

      By the way, this is an awesome forum.. Thanks to all of you for
      making this space possible.

      Peace,

      Robert
      Jerry

      Take two Gurus and call me in the morning.

      Patriarchs of Zen Buddhism
      By Kano Motonobu.
      175.7x137.5 (2 scrolls), 175.1x92.4 (4 other scrolls).
      Muromachi Period, dated 1513.
      Important Cultural Property.
      A288, A298
      View enlarged image and details:

      Endless Eons

      cee: It seems like for endless eons I have been looking and
      witnessing the states of mind. i was instructed to look the
      other way. it made a huge difference. even the witness had
      some sense of identity to it. the states of mind have no
      reality. what is leftover is unmoving, so complete. this
      teaching will take one all the way. the inquiry is the perfect
      tool to dissolve any concept of who I am, and it is
      communicated in silence because there is only one here, but
      the words are perfect also. there is nothing left over. there
      is nothing left over.

      nome: yes, the whole purpose of the inquiry is to negate
      whatever is “other” so that the sense of reality returns to
      its rightful place, so the sense of Identity returns to its
      rightful place. in relation to all else, when we consider all
      else, whether we view all else as real, as a passing
      phenomena, as a dream - however it is viewed, in relation to
      all else - the self is referred to as the witness, not just
      the witness of phenomena, of course, but witness of the
      content of the mind, witness of whole states of mind such as
      waking, dreaming, and deep sleep, within which is all the
      content and all the objects or worlds that one ever
      experiences. in relation to all that, it has been called the
      witness. that very same thing, called “the witness,” not in
      relation to anything else, is just pure consciousness, the
      unmoving reality that has no change.

      how does it get to be “not in relation to anything else?” by
      deep inquiry, recognize there is no such thing as "anything
      else.” it is not that we ignore anything else. rather, we are
      no longer ignorant, and so no longer conceive of “anything
      else.” then that very same thing that was called the witness
      is just resting in itself as pure consciousness, one without a
      second.

      that is the abiding reality. it is completely unmoving. it has
      no change at any time. if some idea arises, even so much as
      the idea of “i,” whether that “i” appears as an experiencer, a
      thinker, an embodied being, so forth and so on, then the
      inquiry should be taken upright then and there, so the sense
      of identity or reality remains firmly right where it belongs,
      not mixed up with something that is really born out of
      imagination. yes, the way is always non-objective, not looking
      outward, which means looking into imagination, but looking
      inward, which really means not a direction but in terms of
      knowledge.