#1463 - Monday, June 16, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 17, 2003

      Fractal image courtesy of Mind-Boggling Fractals website

      #1463 - Monday, June 16, 2003 - Editor: Jerry

      Glimpses of God:
      God's favourite shape:

      Fractals are the blueprints of the organic world. Trees,
      snowflakes, shorelines, lightning bolts, and river deltas form
      obvious fractal patterns. Fractal rhythm defines the human
      heartbeat. "The nonlinear mapping of Bach concertos and a
      healthy heartbeat are almost identical. Perhaps the root of
      musical genius is the ability to recognize biological
      patterns. It is the complexity of the human spirit, which is
      physiological."
      Human organs, such as the lungs and brain, are
      fractal shapes.

      But on an even grander scale, fractals represent the way the
      universe is organized. Self-similar patterning on ever-smaller
      scales. Fractal patterning governs evolution and the
      development of consciousness. And I think the fractal nature
      of the universe explains how and why synchrony can exist.
      Synchrony reflects self-similar patterning and the web of
      existence.

      The evolving universe in a sense has its own consciousness,
      which I call "God." We can feel that consciousness manifesting
      in us sometimes when we intuit things beyond what we're
      capable of fully understanding on a logical level. Researchers
      have found that human crowds also move and congregate
      according to fractal patterns. Like ants, we are governed by a
      "one mind" of the overall human organism. Like ants, we
      synchronize our movements to environmental stimuli and one
      another just because of an innate, interconnected awareness
      that affects our movements and intuition.

      An individual human consciousness is a small encapsulation of
      the unified consciousness of the universe. Our neurons form
      fractal patterns and I would assume they fire at fractal
      rates. This is because the growth of a fractal results in the
      encapsulation of a complex shape within smaller and smaller
      spaces. The human mind is a microscopic rendition of the
      macro. Like the image-within-an-image that appears in Warner
      Brothers cartoons, Surrealist paintings, and the cover of Pink
      Floyd's Ummagumma.

      Our mind is a small representation of the "mind of God." And
      through this fractal that is humanity, and then animal life,
      and then the Earth, and then the solar system, and then the
      universe... We are interconnected. We move in synchrony and do
      things we don't fully understand. Because usually we see
      things as from within the jungle--only able to perceive what
      is a few feet in front of us. Only rarely do we perceive the
      whole of which we are part--the view from the top of the
      mountain.

      "God moves in mysterious ways." What that means is that as
      little human ants wandering around with our own individual
      small minds, we somewhat sense how we are connected to
      something greater, but we are not fully capable of
      understanding. We must learn to sit in this mystery and not
      struggle against it, trying to pin down in logic what cannot
      be fully known. Zen students call this "Don't Know Mind" and a
      14th century Christian mystic called it "the Cloud of
      Unknowing." God only speaks to one in an intuitive way which
      grasps the essence of the whole in a way beyond ordinary
      understanding. The stories and explanations of religion do not
      reflect concrete realities. They tell the truth, though, in a
      deeper way--on another plane of understanding beyond the
      physical. We don't yet know how to describe the essence of
      reality in its purest or most technical terms, so we must use
      metaphor and imagery.

      Just as religion tries to interpret these truths, so too do
      certain modern-day beliefs reflect a tentative view of the
      nature of reality. "Psychic" these days refers to the
      laughable conception that we can read thoughts like books or
      predict specific future events, but I do believe that we have
      a "sixth sense." To Buddhists, "mind" is considered one of the
      senses. And we are psychic to the extent that sometimes our
      individual minds pick up a current of the larger, universal
      Mind or get a sense of what a person next to us might be
      feeling. But intuition by its nature only glimpses the whole,
      not details. These intuitive conceptions are marked by
      fogginess and uncertainty. Even the logical thrusts of physics
      have come to mathematical proofs that there are things that we
      cannot fully know--the Heisenberg uncertainty principle,
      relativity...

      The still small voice of God is the flow of the universe
      rising up within us. It is always speaking and governing our
      actions but it takes the cultivation of a deep quiet to be
      able to hear and observe it. It is wisdom beyond wisdom and is
      accessible to all, regardless of education or IQ. It is the
      innate intelligence of the human species. Mystics, prophets,
      physicists, schizophrenics all hear it and interpret it
      according to their inner reference points and the framework
      with which they arrive at it. And all views of it are equally
      true because while they all have different adornments, they
      all describe the same essence.

      Sometimes you can hear it in the sound of the rain.

      "Fight Club" by
      Chuck Palahniuk

      "This is your life, good to the last drop. It doesn't get any
      better then this. This is your life, and it's ending one
      minute at a time. This isn't a seminar, this isn't a weekend
      retreat. Where you are now, you can't even imagine what the
      bottom will be like. Only after disaster can we be
      resurrected. It's only after you've lost everything, that
      you're free to do anything. Nothing is static; everything is
      falling. Everything is falling apart. This is your life.
      Doesn't get any better then this. This is your life, and it's
      ending one minute at a time. You are not a beautiful and
      unique snowflake! You are the same decaying organic matter as
      everything else! We are all part of the same compost heap. We
      are the all singing, all dancing crap of the world. You are
      not your bank account, you are not the clothes you wear, you
      are not the contents of your wallet. You are not your bowel
      cancer, you are not your grande latte, you are not the car you
      drive. You are not your fucking khakis. You have to give up.
      You have to give up. You have to realize, that some day you
      will die. Until you know that, you are useless. I say, let me
      never be complete. I say, may I never be content. I say,
      deliver me from Swedish furniture! I say, deliver me from
      clever art! I say, deliver me from clear skin and perfect
      teeth! I say, you have to give up. I say, evolve; and let the
      chips fall where they may. This is your life, doesn't get any
      better then this. This is your life, and it's ending one
      minute at a time. You have to give up."

      George Carlin

      For a long time, my stand-up material has drawn from three
      sources. The first is the English language: words, phrases,
      sayings, and the way we speak. The second source, as with most
      comedians, has been what I think of as the "little world,"
      those things we all experience every day: driving, food, pets,
      relationships, and idle thoughts. The third area is what I
      call the"big world": war, politics, race, death, and social
      issues. Without having actually measured, I would say this
      book reflects the balance very closely.

      The first two areas will speak for themselves, but concerning
      the "big world," let me say a few things.

      I'm happy to tell you there is very little in this world that
      I believe in. Listening to the comedians who comment on
      political, social, and cultural issues, I notice most of their
      material reflects an underlying belief that somehow things
      were better once and that with just a little effort we could
      set them right again. They're looking for solutions, and
      rooting for particular results, and I think that necessarily
      limits the tone and substance of what they say. They're
      talented and funny people, but they're nothing more than
      cheerleaders attached to a specific, wished-for outcome.

      I don't feel so confined. I frankly don't give a fuck how it
      all turns out in this country - or anywhere else, for that
      matter. I think the human game was up a long time ago (when
      the high priests and traders took over), and now we're just
      playing out the string. And that is, of course, precisely what
      I find so amusing: the slow circling of the drain by a once
      promising species, and the sappy, ever-more-desperate belief
      in this country that there is actually some sort of "American
      Dream," which has merely been misplaced.

      The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly
      amusing if you are emotionally detached from it. I have always
      viewed it from a safe distance, knowing I don't belong; it
      doesn't include me, and it never has. No matter how you care
      to define it, I do not indentify with the local group. Planet,
      species, race, nation, state, religion, party, union, club,
      association, neighborhood, improvement committee;I have no
      interest in any of it. I love and treasure individuals as I
      meet them, I loathe and despise the groups they identify with
      and belong to.

      So, if you read something in this book that sounds like
      advocacy of a particular political point of view, please
      reject the notion. My interest in "issues" is merely to point
      out how badly we're doing, not to suggest a way we might do
      better. Don't confuse me with those who cling to hope. I enjoy
      describing how things are, I have no interest in how they
      "ought to be." And I certainly have no interest in fixing
      them. I sincerely believe that if you think there's a
      solution, you're part of the problem. My motto: Fuck Hope!

      P.S. Lest you wonder, personally, I am a joyful individual
      with a long, happy marriage and a close and loving family. My
      career has turned out better than I ever dreamed, and
      continues to expand. I am a pesonal optomist but skeptic about
      all else. What may sound to some like anger is really nothing
      more than sympathetic contempt. I view my species with a
      combination of wonder and pity, and I root for it's
      destruction. And please don't confuse my point of view with
      cynicism; the real cynics are the ones who tell you
      everything's gonna be all right.

      P.P.S. By the way, if, by chance, you folks do manage to
      straighten things out and make everything better, I still
      don't wish to be included.

      by R. K. Shankar
      from the I Am list

      Verse 56:
      edhukuRukku mElkIzhA menguniRai vAgu
      medhusachchith thinbiraN dilla - dhedhanantham
      niththamA yondrAy nigazhvadhedhu vAghumav
      vaththu pirama madhi. 56.

      Transliteration

      " 1) That which is filling everywhere down, up and across,
      2) That which is non-dual existence-knowledge-bliss, that which is
      endless,
      3) That which shines as the One Eternal,
      4) That thing is 'Brahman' "
      regard thus.