#1461 - Saturday, June 14, 2003

  • Christiana Duranczyk
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 16, 2003

      ND Highlight - Issue #1461 - Saturday, June 14, 2003 - Editors: Joyce and Christiana

      Paul Cote (Bondzai)
      AdvaitaToZen@yahoogroups.com

      God's Clean Up....

      If God didn't think you were worth cleaning up
      he wouldn't a put you through the ringer like that.

      The Wisdom of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

      "You are responsible only for what you can
      change. All you can change is only your
      attitude. There lies your responsibility."

      submitted by Tony O'Clery

      Daily Words of the Buddha June 14, 2003

      If you hold yourself dear then don't fetter yourself with evil, for happiness isn't easily gained by one who commits a wrong-doing.  Samyutta Nikaya III, 4

      photo: Al Lazarus

      Kindness

      We are our own activity: those patterns of activity that flow
      from an agenda, from the past, Patterns which, are
      channeled by memory, and always seek certain results. Few
      people are aware of the many ways in which this repetition is
      perpetuated with subtle variations, but with an underlining
      monotony.

      In this repetition we find security, reassurance, it has
      become our *self.* This false self is the seeker, and anything
      *we* *do* to stop it, gives it life.

      Just to see this clearly brings about a sense of liberation, a
      deep rest from which action now flows unbidden,
      spontaneously, without any other purpose that its own
      delight.

      Some people would say action always flows unbidden,
      without a doer, and that is so, but it is not usually perceived
      as such, the illusion of the doer is there. This illusion, this
      heart of darkness is the seeker of results, the seeker of
      praise and reassurance. It resents anything and anyone who
      try to slow it down.

      It's not kindness to feed complements to a hungry ghost.

      The Last Adventure at Rasa Ranch?

      Dear Friends,

      Hi. :)

      I think this is my last letter for a while. I guess it was about a year ago that I felt the enormous urge to tell my story. It started out with some words here and there to one group of people and, to my surprise, ended up being a whole series of stories sent out to many. However, the inspiration to write them has all but vanished, and because we have been outdoors so much lately, there are full days that go by when no one has even turned on the computer!

      Anyway, in the interest of tying up any loose
      ends, here's the latest from Rasa Ranch: The
      drama around here has definitely died down.
      The logs from the great tree that fell just
      beside our house are out drying in the sun
      right this moment to be used to keep us good
      and warm during next winter; the punching
      bag has long been replaced by a basketball
      hoop that is getting a lot of use lately; my
      mother did thankfully respect my wishes to
      allow us to live our lives without her, and my
      brother lovingly sent me that great song "The
      Gambler" by Kenny Rogers (the chorus of
      which he and I used to like to sing real loud
      together when we were kids). Ananda is a
      feisty little fireball who keeps me endlessly at
      the inner door of "surrender or die" and I am
      grateful for this. Zachary is mellow as ever
      and sweet as honey, just like his dad, and I
      am grateful for this too.

      The four of us and Bodhi are going to be
      leaving soon for a roadtrip to the Rocky
      Mountains where our life together began. Jim
      and I are finally getting married! He asked
      me for the very first time in the midst of one of
      my darkest hours this past January, and his
      doing so made me crumble into his arms and
      cry so hard that I don't even remember if I
      said "yes." Nevertheless, FedEx delivered
      our Rasa rings yesterday and we will be
      exchanging our vows privately on our
      eight-year anniversary on July 4th. Think of us
      if you watch some fireworks! :) Thank you
      everyone for being there to read all the words
      spoken from my heart. Please write to me if
      you want to.
      Kheyala@...

      Love to Everybody, here, there, and everywhere,

      Kheyala

      picture of me and Zack taken by Ananda a couple of days ago

      Hafiz Poem No.200

      POWER OF LOVE

      Remember the time
      your stolen glances were mine
      And the mark of love
      Shone on my face.

      Remember when
      Your commanding eyes slew me;
      Your Christlike sweet lips
      gave me life.

      Remember when
      you and I paired drunk
      with love until dawn
      only the grace of God between us

       Remember when
      Your face lit up with joy like a candle
      and my flaming heart circled
      about you as a fearless moth

      Remember when
      The ruby wine sparkled in the chalise
      as intimate tales flutter
      between your ruby lips and mine.

      Remember those
      Winehouse days, ruined in ecstasy.
      What I found there, I cannot find now
      Even within the mosque's prayer.

      Remember when
      You chose to depart,
      the silver crescent of the new moon
      Was the envoy of your light

      Remember when
      Your alterations aligned every
      New verse of Hafiz to become
      Poetry so fine as a string of pearls

      (Translation and imagery by F.Rassouli)

      Maharshi-the "I" continues in sleep as well as now.

      Is there a sixth sense to feel "I AM" ?

      Bhagavan:

      Do you deny your existence ? Do you not
      remain yourself even in sleep ? As for the
      senses , they work only periodically. Their
      works begin and end; whereas the "I"
      continues in sleep as well as now. There
      must be a substratum on which the activities
      of the senses depend. Where do they appear
      and merge ? There must be a single
      substratum . That is the Self of which they are
      not independent . It is the power which works
      through them.

      from Reflections on Talks with Ramana Maharshi by S.S. Cohen

      viorica weissman MillionPaths@yahoogroups.com

      J. Krishnamurti - Relationship is a mirror

      Self-knowledge is not according to any formula. You may go to a
      psychologist or a psychoanalyst to find out about yourself, but that
      is not self-knowledge. Self-knowledge, comes into being when we
      are aware, of ourselves in relationship, which shows what we are
      from moment to moment.

      Relationship is a mirror in which to see ourselves as we actually
      are. But most of us are incapable of looking at ourselves as we
      are in relationship, because we immediately begin to condemn or
      justify what we see. We judge, we evaluate, we compare, we deny
      or accept, but we never observe actually what is, and for most
      people this seems to be the most difficult thing to do; yet this
      alone is the beginning of self-knowledge. If one is able to see
      oneself as one is in this extraordinary mirror of relationship which
      does not distort, if one can just look into this mirror with full
      attention and see actually what is, be aware of it without
      condemnation, without judgment, without evaluation - and one
      does this when there is earnest interest - then one will find that the
      mind is capable of freeing itself from all conditioning; and it is only
      then that the mind is free to discover that which lies beyond the
      field of thought.

      After all, however learned or however petty the mind may be, it is
      consciously or unconsciously limited, conditioned, and any
      extension of this conditioning is still within the field of thought. So
      freedom is something entirely different.

      H.W.L. Poonja-Having known your Self,you know everything.

      When you return to your Self , this is called
      awakening , liberation, freedom. Having
      known your Self , you know everything.

      In this awakening the whole universe is
      discovered to be within yourself. All universes are within you, and
      you are the universe.

      This is ultimate understanding . Knowing this, you know everything. If you don't know this, you know nothing, regardless of how much information you collect.

      Without this knowledge, you are ignorant.
      Having known the absolute, you are
      everything ... without beginning, middle, end,
      without birth or death. Here, all fears end.

      Wake up and Roar satsangh with H.W.L. Poonja volume 2

      Catherine Ingram
      Enlightenment is clear seeing -

      Enlightenment is not a word I use. I prefer to call this a
      natural way of being, the most natural actually. Or just radiant
      presence or dear awareness, clear seeing. I don't use the
      word enlightenment because the term itself is very loaded.
      To many people it implies a kind of Big Bang after which you
      are eternally in a steady state called enlightenment. While in
      fact the actual experience is a kind of opening in
      spaciousness, here and now, which allows anything to come
      and go, with no resistance. It is not a state, it is just relaxing
      into a natural ease of being. It's already here. When people
      use the word enlightenment, it implies some point in time
      that you hop into or it happens to you and then you are there
      for ever more... I don't think this is a good way of thinking
      about it.

      Instantaneous or gradual?

      Q: A switch in perception which usually takes place as a
      gradual process?

      CI: Well, it can happen totally instantaneously too. Some
      people recognize their true nature right away and that is
      where their attention rests from that moment on. But for many
      people it is a process of getting used to it. It is not a process
      of an occurring; it is a process of a consistency. It is a
      deepening and a slow relaxation into that recognition. .... It
      takes a moment to realize that the central problem is gone
      before you realize that all the other problems that were
      hanging on to it are also gone. The moment you recognize
      your true nature, it takes a moment to realize that all your
      problems were hanging on the central erroneous belief that
      you are somebody. When this belief is gone, all the
      problems are gone at the same time. To realize this is
      waking up fully from the dream.

      The Beauty of Sound

      If anyone is interested in understanding
      the soundwave and how it interacts with us
      on an atomic level, I have attached some links below.

      I suppose the experience I am referring to , is
      the resonant activation of the standing wave
      in many of the atoms that compose the form
      through which I sense the world. My natural
      atomic frequencies are diverse - each group
      of atoms sharing the same common natural
      frequency....bone, blood, muscles, water etc.
      As sound waves pass through the medium of
      me - my body... certain harmonics resonate
      with the existing natural frequencies of my
      physical form giving rise to enhanced
      feelings. I basically feel the sound vibrating in
      cells - as opposed to hearing it as I normally
      do.

      Ok....my two favorite CD's that I have purchased which resonate with me are :
      " The Eternal Presence " Octave Alliance Mission...4 x didgerdoo's
      "The Enchantment " Harmonic Encounters...various, overtone
      chanting, tibetan bowls and other instruments

      Some web sites you might wish to visit:

      I do have a copy of " Whispers of Now " by the Relaxtion
      Company.....words of Eckhart Tolle spoken over music by
      Brian Scott Bennett which I find completely unagreeable ( crap).

      art: The World is Sound - Ed Pas

      Poetry Jam from SufiMystic: One Sound - A Poem in Three Parts & Three Voices

      Part I

                 One Sound.

                 The Sound of the Sun,
                 Nourishing the grass.

                 The Sound of the Earth,
                 Whirling through the Void.

                 The sound of the Moon,
                 Refelecting the Beloved's bright Light.

                 One Sound.

      Part II

                 In this Sound is the
                 Diadem of Perfection
                 reflected.

      Part III

                 The Sound of Her breath,
                 escaping from Our lips.

                 The Sound of Her pulse,
                 beating in Our Heart.

                 The Sound of Mystery,
                 roaring from Our Souls...

                 The Sound of Silence...

      Part I: Shams Michael

      Part II: Bill Rishel

      Part III: Joyce Know_Mystery

      Troward said, "Having seen the end, you have willed the
      means of its realization." ================

      Free will presupposes-- only ---choice, not consequence,
      content, but not form, action, but not reaction. We cannot
      ever ---know ---any interrupted or continuous finality. It is ego
      sensory interpretation that causes us to choose "again" as
      all previous choices have produced this current observation
      and personal assessment of our experience.

      Free will also presupposes an energy initiation by intention.
      It is our initiation of our passion, energizing our intention, that
      creates this continuous "sound", then "echo" where the
      consequence, form, and reaction continuously ripple through
      the universe bouncing off everything in its path. And my echo
      melds with your echo and other's echoes and the ripples
      become waves on the sea of change and move the universe
      and all consciousness.

      I have said that "There is no thought with an emotional void"
      and therein lies the passion of intention, spoken or not,
      acted upon or not but there nonetheless. I could also add that
      "There is no intention without consequence" That's kinda, a
      no brainer.

      It is our vested interest in our energetic egos, which
      assesses our seeming moment to moment unrealized chaos
      of all that we survey, converting it into a living reproduction of
      how we consciously played our earlier "ending creation", that
      perpetuates this chaos.

      It is again--attachments of ego that produce a troubling
      outcome dilemma of difficult forms and reactions.

      "In any proposed ending, the begining of that end is already
      written". (Somebody a lot smarter than I musta said that.).

      eric paroissien to NDS

      Holy Madness by Georg Feuerstein

      Live broadcasts and interview archive links

      "Making Known the Unknown - The radio program dedicated
      to the search for knowledge where an ordinary life is not an
      option."

      Clara Ibanez to NDS

      Hello Jerry and forum members,

      I have uploaded as a pdf file a small book by Neville
      Goddard (1905-1972)
      for you to enjoy. Neville was a not very
      renowned nondual teacher who knew the Upanishads and
      Kabbalah, but who taught using biblical quotes, as he found
      that the Bible is not an historical account but an encoded
      spiritual teaching about reality as consciousness.

      Neville's books and lectures are hard to find, except a few of
      them published by DeVorss. He is conceived to have been a
      New Thought teacher, but actually he was a jnani in full
      meaning of the term, a wise man and a mystic that realized
      the self.

      I thought this e-group would benefit from knowing about him
      and his teachings.

      look for: Neville-I know my Father.pdf

      su gandolf to NDS

      from Awake in the Heartland by Joan Tollifson

      What We See Is What We Get

      Once at a satsang with Isaac Shapiro, in the back of the
      room where I was sitting, a beeping noise started up and
      didn't stop. Somebody's pager or cell phone was going off.
      In those days, I had an intense dislike for the ever-growing
      presence of cell phones and pagers in public places. They
      seemed perfectly symptomatic of everything I found
      pathological in our culture. It was no exaggeration to say that
      I hated cell phones and pagers. And now, somebody had
      one in their purse or backpack, and it was going off in the
      middle of satsang (outrageous!), making it hard to
      concentrate on what Isaac was saying, and I was furious.
      Furthermore, no one was doing anything about it! A few
      people were looking around, as I was, but no one was
      turning it off. The idiot who owned it was oblivious. I got
      angrier and angrier. Modern technology and human stupidity
      were ruining my chance for enlightenment! Suddenly,
      someone near me spotted the pager. It was a cricket. A
      cricket had somehow gotten into this room in the middle of
      the city.

      Instantly, the whole movie changed. I love crickets. They're
      part of nature, which is dear to my heart, and they remind me
      of Springwater. I found it charming and miraculous that there
      was a cricket in the room attending satsang. I was suddenly
      so happy.

      The sound itself was exactly the same as it had been before,
      only now I had a different conceptual picture, and a different
      set of stories and beliefs. Instead of a pager or a cell phone
      (representing everything in life I hated), now it was a cricket
      (representing everything in life I loved). Nature produced it,
      not evil human technology. And furthermore, "the idiot who
      owned it" didn't exist, and wasn't really oblivious to his
      non-existent pager after all. Now it was a pleasant sound, a
      miraculous sound. It no longer made it hard to concentrate
      on what Isaac was saying. In fact, it seemed to perfectly
      compliment his words.

      Some years later, when I was teaching at a city college
      where people's cell phones were frequently ringing during
      class, I noticed that I no longer hated them. In fact, I found the
      ringing and the whole phenomenon rather charming.

      Tao Te Ching [1]

      Tao Te Ching of Lao Tzu
      Rhyme and Reason by Jim Clatfelter

      1.

      Words and names are not the way
      They can't define the absolute
      It's better that you look within
      Hold your tongue and just be mute

      Look within and look out too
      You will not find a separation
      Out there you see appearance
      Within you see origination

      Look within with wonder
      At emptiness and bliss
      For wonder names totality
      Where nothing is amiss

      The space within is always there
      If you can moderate desire
      A place of utter emptiness
      And possibility entire

      Lao Tzu begins the Book of Tao by telling us that the Tao, the
      absolute, cannot be defined with words. He says we must look for
      it. He will repeat this theme throughout. This looking or seeing is
      total seeing - looking out at the world of appearance and looking
      in at its origin in the spacious emptiness at the very center of our
      being. This emptiness is truly empty and truly great because it
      contains all possibility, all potential, and all that appears. It's the
      source of all that exists - and aware of itself as such. What a
      promise! He even tells us where to look. Look within for origin.
      Look without for creation. Look and see both ways
      simultaneously. Origin and creation are one! Lao Tzu makes
      another promise. This emptiness that is totality is also bliss and
      wonder. Bliss is our true identity!
    • Christiana Duranczyk
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 27, 2003

                NDH
          Issue # 1504
          Saturday, July 26, 2003
          Editor: Christiana

            Love itself
               is the actual form of God.
                    -Ramana Maharshi

           Art: Andy Goldsworthy - rowan leaves

        Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

        The Nisargadatta Song of I Am
        (Edited by Jerry Katz)
        Instead of seeing things as imagined, learn to see
        them as they are. When you can see everything as
        it is, you will also see yourself as you are. It is
        like cleansing a mirror. The same mirror that
        shows you the world as it is, will also show you
        your own face. The thought 'I am' is the polishing
        cloth.

        'I am' is ever afresh. You do not need to
        remember in order to be. ... At present your
        being is mixed up with experiencing. All you need
        is to unravel being from the tangle of
        experiences. Once you have known pure being,
        without being this or that, you will discern it
        among experiences and you will no longer be
        misled by names and forms.

        ...the 'I am' in movement creates the world. The
        'I am' at peace becomes the Absolute.

        In the immensity of consciousness a light
        appears, a tiny point that moves rapidly and
        traces shapes, thoughts and feelings, concepts
        and ideas, like the pen writing on paper. And the
        ink that leaves a trace is memory. You are that
        tiny point and by your movement the world is
        ever re-created. Stop moving and there will be no
        world. Look within and you will find that the point
        of light is the reflection of the immensity of light
        in the body, as the sense 'I am'. There is only
        light, all else appears.

        Andy Goldsworthy

        I enjoy the freedom of just using my hands and "found" tools--a sharp stone, the quill of a feather, thorns. I take the opportunities each day offers: if it is snowing, I work with snow, at leaf-fall it will be with leaves; a blown-over tree becomes a source of twigs and branches. I stop at a place or pick up a material because I feel that there is something to be discovered. Here is where I can learn.

        Looking, touching, material, place and form are all inseparable from the resulting work. It is difficult to say where one stops and another begins. The energy and space around a material are as important as the energy and space within.

        The weather, rain, sun, snow, hail, mist, calm is that external space made visible.
        When I touch a rock, I am touching and
        working the space around it. It is not
        independent of its surroundings, and the
        way it sits tells how it came to be there.
        I want to get under the surface. When I work with
        a leaf, rock, stick, it is not just that material in
        itself, it is an opening into the processes of life
        within and around it. When I leave it, these
        processes continue.

        Movement, change, light, growth and decay are
        the lifeblood of nature, the energies that I try to
        tap through my work. I need the shock of touch,
        the resistance of place, materials and weather, the
        earth as my source. Nature is in a state of change
        and that change is the key to understanding. I
        want my art to be sensitive and alert to changes
        in material, season and weather. Each work
        grows, stays, decays. Process and decay are
        implicit. Transience in my work reflects what I
        find in nature.

        Jan Sultan offers a free e-book

        ...following the example of Jerry's excellent ebook
        [http://nonduality.com], I have decide to select postings
        from the SufiMystic group and compile them in ebooks.

        Maitri Bhavnu song recorded by Mukesh in 1969.

        opening another box of words

        Someone asks:

        Did this cause that, or did that cause this?
        Did I grow from practice or practice from growth?
        Did my karma give me karma?
        What makes it all happen?

        Someone answers:

        No cause.
        No effect.
        No practice.
        No growth.
        No karma.
        No what.
        No happening.
        No you.

        Just one Love being what it is,
        having long forgotten all the details.

        Art: Sharon Ellis Cathedral of Dandelions

        Stephen Wolinsky from:

        I Am That I Am: A tribute to Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

        The I AM made easy

            One who is completely rid of one's very own
            concept of I AM is completely liberated.
            Nisargadatta Maharaj
            p. 203 Seeds of Consciousness

        What is the I AM? To begin with, according to
        Nisargadatta Maharaj, the I AM has two levels.
        The first is the Verbal I AM.

        According to Nisargadatta, the verbal I AM is all
        you can say about yourself after you say, I AM.
        All else after this verbal I AM is to be discarded.

        The Non-Verbal I AM: The I AM is the glue of
        individuality, and the primal illusion which holds
        the mirage together.

        The non-verbal I Am has no thoughts, memory,
        emotions, associations, perceptions, attention or
        intentions and is the Gateway and touchstone to
        the Nothingness. The Non-Verbal I AM is the
        stateless state or No-State state, that is prior to
        the verbal I Am.

        By staying in the gateway, I AM, the
        Consciousness which the I AM is made of,
        absorbs the I AM like a dry sponge absorbs
        water. - Stephen Wolinsky

            Be in that Beingness then it will tell you how
            beingness turns into Non-Beingness.
            - Nisargadatta Maharaj
            p 5 Nectar of the Lord's Feet

        Sathanas Livejournal.com nonduality community

        BE HERE NOW There are many paths in life -
        untold pathways as numberless as the stars in the sky. But many overlook the Beloved - the Self. This Self is everywhere and nowhere at the same time. It simply is. It is ever-present, and yet it never comes into being from anywhere outside or inside of itself. How is it possible for us to overlook this Beloved? The answer, some would say, is that we never overlook the Self, for it permeates all of infinite existence - therefore, our "ignorance" is only an illusion, and enlightenment is also an illusion. There are, however, beings who have fully realized the nature of this paradox without conceptual restraints. Such beings have
        no set of rules for others to follow. However, they do sometimes give us precious clues as to how we may also partake of the One Taste. Who can describe such a person? For what that person has become, there is no name. Not Hindu. Not Buddhist. Not Christian.
        Just a sentient being who truly understands
        how things are. Such a person has gone beyond
        the boundaries of such distinctions, which are
        products of the mind only. Consider. In order to
        form concepts, one must compare and contrast
        one word from another for any of the words to
        have any meaning - thus, duality, conceptualization,
        etc. Perhaps the true master has stopped setting
        one thing against another, for that person knows
        that all things are One even thought the mind perceives
        seperation. How can you identify such a person? Such
        persons defy description. They have no set of
        rules to follow. They do naturally what comes
        their way, but they always seem to exhibit infinite
        compassion for all of existence. Knowing all
        things to be the Self, they are One with all things.
        Devotees of Neem Karoli Baba often asked him
        for teachings, but he would say, "Be here now.
        Love others. Feed others. See only the Self." You
        are already One with all of infinite existence. It is
        your very nature, regardless of any efforts or lack
        of efforts on your part. Because you try to find
        the One, you fail to see the Beloved. It is neither
        inside nor outside. It is HERE, NOW, FOREVER.
        No hurries. Relax. Love your true Self, which is
        already 'enlightened' and 'perfect' without ever
        trying to be.