#1450 - Wednesday, June 04, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2003

      #1450 - Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - Editor: Joyce (Know_Mystery)

      Sweet Grace

      Bill Rishel

      Pure Burst

      Pure Burst

      click to enlarge

      For me, finding Grace was by abiding in my heart. After some time of such practice, Grace suddenly "took me". It was as two oceans merging. I was swallowed into a voyage of never-returning [bye bye Kansas!].

      Looking back, it seemed that by abiding in my heart I had "put myself at the door of Grace".

      I also thought of it as sitting close to a black hole. I eventually joggled close enough to the "event horizon" that I was wooshed into another dimension, a dimension where all is Heart and the world only a shadow on the wall. Where Heart is the one Reality.

      And it seems to me that Heart and Grace are somehow the same. The path to Grace is through the Heart. The path to Heart is by Grace.

      As Nisargadatta says, it is our earnestness that opens the way for us. He says that if we are truly earnest it doesn't matter how we proceed. And if we are not truly earnest, it doesn't matter how we proceed.

      Drawing by Bill Rishel

      A Sailor's Tale

      Bill Rishel

      Angelicus

      Angelicus

      click to enlarge

      Artwork by Bill Rishel

      I must speak my story.

      I was touched. I was touched somewhere very deep. I felt myself melting. And then an experience as if two oceans merging. And I, a solitary sailor, tilling his solitary raft on his solitary great, great ocean; suddenly was I overwhelmed by the effulgence of this coming together. Suddenly I had no rudder, no raft, no endless horizon, no sky. Suddenly I was overwhelmed, melted into a vast rich, deep turning that poured into my heart. I knew that my sailor days were over. I had no choice. I was one with the depth.

      And I was changed, changed, so changed. My iniquities, so many more than I knew, came flooding to the surface like rats fleeing a flooding cellar. And by Her Grace, a sweet flooding wave of Her Grace, my darknesses were healed. And time and again, in moments of trial, another darkness comes to the fore, another blemish works to the surface, and each time Her Grace sweeps my blemishes away, heals the wound in my heart, clears the flaw in my mind.

      And so this life goes on within me.
      A love welling in me fills me, fills me, fills me.

      So who I was is gone, and who this is I cannot tell you.

      I have been overcome by Sweet Grace. And her name?
      Harken. I tell you truly. Her name is,

      Essence of Love

      Sri Ramana Maharshi quoted by Mazie Lane ~ AdiyashantiSatsang

      "True surrender is love of God for the sake of love and nothing else, not even for the sake of liberation. Love itself is the actual form of God. That is pure bliss. Call it pure bliss, God, Self, or what you will. That is devotion,  that is realization and that is everything. The experience of not forgetting consciousness alone is the state of devotion which is the relationship of unfading real love, because the real knowledge of Self, which shines as the undivided supreme bliss itself, surges up as the nature of love. Only if one knows the truth of love, which is the nature of the Self, will the strong entangled knot of life be untied. Only if one attains the height of love will liberation be attained. The experience of Self is only love, which is seeing only love, hearing only love, feeling only love, tasting only love and smelling only love, and this is bliss. God does not reside in any place other than the Heart. Be sure that the heart is the Kingdom of Heaven."

      ~ Sri Ramana Maharshi, Absolute Consciousness ~

      Charlotte Joko Beck quoted by Paul Cote ~ AdvaitaToZen

      bird

      "It's not that "I" hear the birds,
      it's just hearing the birds.
      Let yourself be hearing, seeing, thinking.
      It is the false "I" that interrupts the
      wonder with the constant
      desire to think about "I."
      And all the while THE WONDER
      is occurring:
      the birds sing, the cars go by,
      the body sensations continue,
      the heart is beating --
      life is a second-by-second miracle.
      But dreaming our "I" dreams
      we miss it."

      ~ Charlotte Joko Beck ~

      Charlotte Joko Beck; "Everyday Zen/Love & Work"; edited by Steve Smith; Harper

      Photograph by Alan Larus ~ HarshaSatsang

      Joe Riley ~ Panhala

      At Blackwater Pond ~ Mary Oliver

      "At Blackwater Pond the tossed waters have settled
      after a night of rain.
      I dip my cupped hands. I drink
      a long time. It tastes
      like stone, leaves, fire. It falls cold
      into my body, waking the bones. I hear them
      deep inside me, whispering
      oh what is that beautiful thing
      that just happened?"

      ~ Mary Oliver ~

      Tim Gerchmez ~ ConsciousnessIsAll

      How strange...

      There's nothing fixed about this, nothing at all...
      Nothing predictable.
      The dream takes strange twists and turns...
      Sensations and images seem to come and go.
      People and things arrive and depart;
      clarity and confusion don't apply
      to what has no substance.
      Mysterious beyond mystery is the ordinary.

      Stranger than a sleeping dream is this,
      The waking dream.
      Universes come and go inside this tent
      which has no inside or outside, no top or bottom.

      There is nowhere to rest, and no thought of resting;
      No getting weary or having the strength to go on.
      Like the blink of a strobe,
      the universe flashes in and winks out...
      This, that and the other
      weave a discontinuous non-web
      movement without purpose
      just like a dream
      none of it makes sense
      and none of it is nonsense.

      Beyond words and description,
      the words and description play out too
      as this, 'what is' -- it isn't.
      This play of image, sound, sensation, thought,
      contained in nothing and containing nothing.

      Sri Ramana Maharshi quoted by Yosy Flug ~ iam

      93. Questioner: How is sadbuddhi (Pure Intellect) to be steadily kept up?

      Bhagavan: All living beings are aware of their surroundings and therefore intellect must be surmised in all of them. At the same time, there is a difference between the intellect of man and that of other animals, because man not only sees the world as it is and acts accordingly but also seeks fulfillment of desires, he extends his vision far and wide; and yet he turns away dissatisfied. He then begins to think and reason out. The desire for permanency of happiness and of peace bespeaks such permanency of his own nature. Therefore, he seeks to find and regain his own nature, i.e., his Self. That found, all is found. Such inward seeking is the path to be gained by man's intellect. The intellect itself realizes after continuous practice that it is enabled by some Higher Power to function. It cannot itself reach that Power. So it ceases to function after a certain stage. When it thus ceases to function, the Supreme power is still left there all alone. That is Realization; that is the finality; and that is the goal. It is thus plain that the purpose of the intellect is to realize its own dependence on the Higher Power and its inability to reach the same."

      ~ Teachings of Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi ~

      Pete ~ AdvaitaToZen

      Samadhi, practice and parietal lobe epilepsy.

       It's being known for quite a while in neurological circles that patients with parietal lobe epilepsy are prone to experiencing feelings of bliss, and visions of unity. One significant thing about this, is the fact that after  repeated attacks the feelings of bliss and the visions of unity become independent from the attacks. These patients often become very spiritual and undergo drastic personality changes. Something akin to what we can call enlightenment happens to them. Some neurologists theorize that the seizures permanently rewire the brain connections in the parietal lobe. The question arises could certain meditation practices rewire the brain just as this electrical storms do?

      Greg Goode  ~ in reply on AdvaitaToZen

      Re: Samadhi, practice and parietal lobe epilepsy.

      If you could push a button right now and have a combination of those physical brain states and those feelings for the rest of your life, then would you push that button?

      [YES button] [NO button]

      Tykal ~ AdyashantiSatsang

      Fresh Blood: Fingertips Touched to a Wound

      cut on the top of the head
      by an unseen branch of tree,
      thank you for this opportunity
      to undergo the experience
      of what it feels like to bleed
      the blood of nature's sap,
      slow, coagulate, and heal

      Mazie Lane & Robert O'Hearn ~ AdyashantiSatsang

      Heavy with golden tears falling
      like wet leaves from Autumn trees,
      the moon swells inside the dark sky,
      weeps silently into my heart through
      the night, devoid of any pretense
      we are other than
      OneHeart.

      This moon and I are friends
      we glide down the corridors of time,
      unafraid to be alone, neverminding
      past or future.

      In the dawn light the moon will disappear.
      In this heart light I will disappear into dawn.
      This moon and I, we are not fooled by appearances.
      Being is present in all I am, and I am present as Being --
      moon, sun, rivers, this high delight, Cold Mountain.
      I drift through the sky of my own Being,
      innocent and free, spontaneously happy
      for no reason at all,
      no reason at all.

      Here every day is the same day
      the darkest night that descends between light
      is nothing but a finer form of
      that same light.

      Some say
      every day is a new day and
      there is that which changes, yet
      there is that which doesn't change
      though all else rearranges
      in OneHeart.

      ~ Mazie &

      Mace Mealer ~ Illuminata

      ant_blossoms

      Ant Blossoms

       An Ant On The Path

      Of all earthly creatures
      we may have the greatest
      capacity for kindness.
      In the end, it may be
      the only thing that truly matters.
      If we learn to be capable
      of extending it
      bereft of the insidious poison
      of self righteousness.

      Photo by Brian Fitzgerald

      Sam Pasciencer ~ NDS

      I have read in Kinky Fryedman that when we die all the cats and dogs etc. that have preceded us come rushing out to greet us on our arrival. A fantasy of course but a lovely one.