# 1446 - Saturday, May 31, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2003

      Nondual Highlights Issue # 1446 - Saturday, May 31, 2003 -  Editor: Mark Otter

      Please wait for the elephant to arrive...

      Oh self, you are the fragrance in the flower known as the body; you are the nectar in the moon known as the body; you are the essence in the herb known as the body; you are the coolness in the ice known as the body. Just as there is butter in milk, there is friendship or attachment in the body. You dwell in this body even as fire dwells in wood. You are the light in all luminous objects; you are the inner light that makes knowledge of objects possible. You are the strength of the elephant known as mind. You are both the light and the heat of the fire of self-knowledge.

      - from Vasistha's Yoga, translated by Swami Venkatesananda, and published by State University of New York Press

                                                 The self is bodiless. - Ramana Maharshi

      Am I the Body/Mind?

      "I" is the first pronoun. The second pronoun is "am".
      When you realize "I am," you become free.
      This is called "Being."
      Not being this or that. Just plain Being.
      I AM.

      It's quite a different situation than identification
      with the body.
      The body will continue to have experiences, yet you will not.
      You will be free from the whole ball of wax.
      Yet to other people, to others, it will appear as if you're doing
      whatever you're doing.

      It appears as if what you're doing is a reality.
      Yet when you discover the truth about
      yourself and you awaken,
      you will no longer be connected to your body.
      At the same time you will appear to be a body to others,
      and they will see the games you are playing.
      But you will be free from that.
      Yet your body will continue to play the games.

      It's a paradox.
      Your body appears as the water in the mirage,
      as the snake in the rope.
      But yet, when you awaken, you are no longer the body.
      and there is nobody.
      But the body appears to others as being real.

      This is why when a Jnani dies, or appears to be suffering,
      nothing is really happening to the Jnani.
      But to the ajnani all kinds of things are happening.
      They see suffering.
      They identify with sorrow, or death, and
      with everything else.

      Therefore, I say to you, do not disturb yourself
      by these things,
      Inquire "to whom do they come?" and be free.

        - Robert Adams from Silence of the Heart, published by Acropolis Books.

      All of This for Nothing

      Was I always so luscious?
      Did I gleam and ripple, without adornment,
      like the sparkling sea?
      Every cell in my body is dancing!
      I am shining from the inside
      with a light that comes from nowhere.

      I am pinned to this moment like a butterfly.
      No longer does there appear to be
      anywhere else to go.
      The candle flickers inside my heart,
      my child's breaths -- only one of the sounds I am making.
      My heart is thickly laden with invisible fruit.

      Something broke inside me.
      Something laid down, exhausted from the struggle,
      and died.
      Whatever I gave myself to then has flowered inside and taken over,
      turning my home into night sky.

      Father, I cannot write home and tell you
      where I have gone, where I am going.
      As the darkness took me the road disappeared behind me,
      and ahead of me, nothing.

      I am only walking through now and always now.
      All of this for nothing!
      With the entire universe lovemaking inside me
      I have stopped asking anyone for anything.

        - Jeannie Zandi from My Eyes Are Filled with Diamonds, self-published.

      Mary's azaleas go here.

      Azalea 2 - Scanner art by Mary Bianco

      Little River!

      -- For Pamela

      Miracle of simplicity and play
      soothing company of your murmurs
      no other being could love what I laid at your shore
      nor bring to silence the storm inside.

      Little River!
      Only beauty soft enough to quiet me
      ripples and dapples and dancing
      grasses swaying and leaves fluttering
      softened the clench in my heart.

      Little River!
      Carried me away from myself
      left me empty, whole, scattered to the winds.
      run and dance in me
      weave and roll, softening and dissolving all.
      all is well.

        - Jeannie Zandi from My Eyes Are Filled with Diamonds, self-published.

      Click here to go to a page from which you can browse for teachers in the lineage of Ramana Maharshi, or go forward to Pamela's page.

                                          When life breathes love, what can we do but dance? - Pamela Wilson

      A Tendency to Shine

      If you prefer smoke over fire
      then get up now and leave.
      For I do not intend to perfume
      your mind's clothing with
      more sooty knowledge.
      No, I have something else in mind.
      Today I hold a flame in my left hand
      and a sword in my right.
      There will be no damage control today.
      God is in a mood to plunder your riches and
      fling you nakedly
      into such breathtaking poverty
      that all that will be left of you will be
      a tendency to shine.
      So don't just sit around this flame
      choking on your mind.
      This is no campfire song
      to mindlessly
      mantra yourself to sleep with.
      Jump now into the space
      between thoughts and
      exit this dream
      before I burn the damn place down.

        - Adyashanti from My Secret is Silence

      Click here to go to Adyashanti's home pages.

      I dunno, maybe it WAS the roses...

      Yellow Roses - Scanner art by Mary Bianco

      The Right Connection - excerpt of Neelam satsang found here .

      Q. My experience with teachers is that it's hard to stay tuned and
      connected with the glimpse of Reality that is given to me. Perhaps I need a
      better connection.

      N. Whatever you want, but I tell you that "connection" means trouble! You
      know something about this. One day it works, the next day it doesn't, yes?
      You don't want this constant trouble. So why not want what you are? Why
      not just that? This doesn't need anything. No maintenance necessary! So
      it's not a teacher you need, it's your Self that you need to discover,
      finally. Otherwise, there will always be something else outside of you that
      will require this whole shtick. Yes, so this is the only desire . . .. for
      your Self. That will finish it all off. Simply the willingness to follow
      it wherever it takes you. For once do not be led by anything else.

      Q. It's quick.

      N. Don't worry about it. Even just looking makes you so happy, you see!

      Click here to go to Neelam's home pages.

      Who IS your body anyway?

      Swan Lake - Digital art by Felicity Rogers

      Click here to go to the 2003 International Digital Art Awards pages.

      Bless your heart with love and vacation. - Sophia Zandi from My Eyes Are Filled with Diamonds, self-published.

      Editor's note: Sophia was 3 years old when she wrote this. She's 5 now. She's a lovely being and so are you. Namaste.