#1442 - Tuesday, May 27, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , May 28, 2003

      Our own life is the instrument with
      which we experiment with truth."

      --  Thich Nhat Hanh
      Bart Simpson cartoon courtesy Al Larus

      #1442 - Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - Editor: Gloria

      Sam NDS

      You wrote...

      "What can 'turn off'  the attitude of
      suffering? What can 'destroy' the
      assumption of difference?"

      You can't turn off or destroy something that doesn't exist.. just see that
      it isn't there...

      I used to call the Anteroom 'The Eternity Ward' To wait we still have to be
      there expecting some big change to come in the future...Can you wait without
      waiting? Wey wu wait?

      Sambolini

      Marcia  NDS
      There was a wonderful episode on Star Trek
      Voyager where Captain Janeway had to
      become enlightened to save Seven of Nine.
      There was what she thought was the waiting
      room and she became impatient and went through
      all these horrible ordeals only to discover that
      the waiting room was enlightenment. Does anyone
      else remember that episode? It was one of my
      favorites.

      Vicki Woodyard  NDS

      I have been in the Enlightenment Waiting Room for some time now.  Although
      they give you a number and tell you to sit and wait your turn, I have discovered
      that the whole thing is a hoax.  I would leave, but I love a good hoax as much
      as the next person.  And I am next in line.
      JP Poffandi  NDS

      My number came up once.

      I was once at the front of the line.

      To my surprise, I saw that the clerk
      on the other side was me.

      He let me take a look around,
      but no one else was there.

      I asked if there were any good
      Sushi restaurants around.

      He rolled his eyes and said nothing.

      Apparently, there aren't.

      He then looked at my numbered tag
      and with a mischievious smile
      and a wink, muttered something
      about the small legalities outlined in
      the fine microprinting on my tag.

      I told him I don't read Norwegian.

      He told me to go get another number and
      get back in line with the others.

      I swore at him. I told him it's
      crazy there. He shrugged.

      The nerve! He then asked if I could please sneak
      him some Ama-Ebi (sweet shrimp), Unakyu (broiled eel
      and cucumber)and a bottle of Sake.

      ---------------

      Boogie Street (Leonard Cohen)

      O Crown of Light, O Darkened One,
      I never thought we'd meet.

      You kiss my lips, and then it's done:
      I'm back on Boogie Street.

      A sip of wine, a cigarette,
      And then it's time to go
      I tidied up the kitchenette;
      I tuned the old banjo.
      I'm wanted at the traffic-jam.
      They're saving me a seat.
      I'm what I am, and what I am,
      Is back on Boogie Street.

      And O my Love, I still recall
      The pleasures that we knew;
      The rivers and the waterfall,
      Wherein I bathed with you.
      Bewildered by your beauty there,
      I'd kneel to dry your feet.
      By such instructions you prepare
      A man for Boogie Street.

      O Crown of Light, O Darkened One.

      So come, my friends, be not afraid.
      We are so lightly here.
      It is in Love that we are made;
      In Love we disappear.

      Though all the maps of blood and flesh
      Are posted on the door,
      There's no one who has told us yet
      What Boogie Street is for.

      O Crown of Light, O Darkened One,
      I never thought we'd meet.
      You kiss my lips, and then it's done:
      I'm back on Boogie Street.

      A sip of wine, a cigarette,
      And then it's time to go.

      Gene Poole

                        Is there a bigger fish? (image)

      Sarlo  NDS

      It's a god-eat-god world
      Eric Paroissien

      uroboro swallows fish most efficiently

      three pictures of the uroboro (see kg jung for explanation)
      the bottom right knot of moebius explains in addition the
      outside/inside relationship (it is like "static breathing"!)
      in bliss
      eric
      Diana  NDS

      Interested in testing your unconscious biases?
      You can do so at:

            <http://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit>

       MJ Gilbert  Along the Way

              Do your work in the world, but inwardly
              keep quiet.  Then all will come to you.  Do
              not rely on your work for realization.  It may
              profit others, but not you.  Your hope lies
              in keeping silent in your mind and quiet in
              your heart.  Realized people are very quiet.

                                - Nisargadatta Maharaj
      Gill Eardley  Allspirit

      Do not try to become anything.
      Do not make yourself into anything.
      Do not be a meditator.
      Do not become enlightened.
      When you sit, let it be.
      What you walk, let it be.
      Grasp at nothing.
      Resist nothing.

      If you haven't wept deeply, you haven't begun to meditate.

      ~Ajhan Chah

      Morning Zen
      Only the supremely wise and the abysmally ignorant do not change.
      --Confucius

      Wolfgang I Waas  E-Zendo

      As you've got no sangha and no master to join, maybe this website might be a
      bit of support:
      http://www.geocities.com/nozendo/

      gassHo ()
      Wolfgang

      Gill Eardley  Allspirit

      "Once, a few weeks after I came to the woods, for an hour I
      doubted whether the near neighborhood of man was not essential
      to a serene and healthy life. To be alone was somewhat unpleasant.
      But in the midst of a gentle rain, while these thoughts prevailed, I
      was suddenly sensible of such sweet and beneficent society in
      Nature, in the very pattering of the drops, and in every sight and
      sound around my house, an infinite and unaccountable friendliness
      all at once, like an atmosphere, sustaining me, as made the fancied
      advantages of human neighborhood insignificant, and I have never
      thought of them since. Every little pine-needle expanded and swelled
      with sympathy and befriended me. I was so distinctly made aware
      of the presence of something kindred to me, that I thought no place
      could ever be strange to me again."

      'Walden' Henry David Thoreau

      Allspirit Website:
      http://www.allspirit.co.uk