Highlights for Saturday, October 23

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 23, 1999
      The following is delivered into our palms by John Metzger:

      St. Kevin and the Blackbird

      "And then there was St. Kevin and the blackbird.
      The saint is kneeling, arms stretched out, inside
      His cell, but the cell is narrow, so

      One turned-up palm is out the window, stiff
      As a crossbeam, when a blackbird lands
      And lays in it and settles down to nest.

      Kevin feels the warm eggs, the small breast, the
      tucked
      Neat head and claws and, finding himself linked
      Into the network of eternal life

      Is moved to pity: now he must hold his hand
      Like a branch out in the sun and rain for weeks
      Until the young are hatched and fledged and flown.

      And since the whole thing's imagined anyhow,
      Imagine being Kevin. Which is he?
      Self-forgetful or in agony all the time

      From the neck on out down through his hurting
      forearms?
      Are his fingers sleeping? Does he still feel his
      knees?
      Or has the shut-eyed blank of underneath
      Crept up through him? Is there distance in his head?
      Alone and mirrored clear in love's deep river,
      'To labour and not to seek reward' he prays,

      A prayer his body makes entirely
      For he has forgotten self, forgotten bird
      And on the riverbank forgotten the river's name."

      --Seamus Heaney

      NOTICE OF CHAT SESSION:

      Hi All...

      Big ChatFest on Sunday, noon, Pacific time.

      See you all there!

      We will be discussing the upcoming 'ZeroFest' gathering...
      bring creative ideas!

      Beyond Y2K...

      On to Y2OK...

      ==Gene Poole==

      For anyone who is new to chat, you might want to go to the
      following link and check it out.

      The chat room itself is at

      <a
      href="http://www.eScribe.com/religion/nondualitysalon/chat">

      Thanks for organizing this, Gene.

      --Jerry

      ERIC:

      I wanted to share here the experience which just occurred
      within me, these last few moments.
      Another, an acquaintance of little more than a few weeks of
      internet connection, opened, a door, of such profound
      experience, that gifting gentleness, and power.

      And in this place of speaking, and thusly furthering a
      sharing from friend to friend, I wish to attempt to remind
      all of us why we have come to this list.

      I am simply talking through a dream, until a connection is
      in actually, realized. This happened for me tonight in the
      chat room. The *server* is now gone, and yet their link
      remains *active*. Recent objection to banter and rants is
      clearly understood from this place of pervasive stillness.
      I, a fully licensed trickster, has just momentarily bowed
      out. The immensity of all this is not lost on me.

      I did not come here for any other reason than to increase
      perceived Light, and offer my life force toward *helping*
      other's awakening. What a surprise, to be assisted by
      another, myself! In love, truly humbleness, shines. And
      thanks to all of us here, dearly including those on
      sabbaticals, I am finding myself further humbled,
      unbelievably, yet again.

      This occurs to me as an invention, and natural result, of
      the Complete Sum of our energies, from seekers to Old Hags,
      list rulers to drop-ins.

      I float on a momentum created waterway of care, and freely
      offered Love.

      It inspires in myself, that far beyond me. I wished to
      give...and yet I received.

      Stay! Awaken!
      Blessed Hotel.

      We are all so very beautiful, round here.

      Eric S. Laing Good Morning Loves~

      PHIL:

      What is this "human mind" which is so powerful as to eclipse
      nonduality?
      I am not so sure I believe in "human mind". I posted a view
      of "mind"
      some time back that got lost in the ozone of this list (no
      response).
      What is called "mind" is a subtle energy, which is creative
      in essence.
      Mind does not exist over against the nondual, but openly or
      obliquely manifests the One. It is the play of
      Shiva/Shakti, and there are no separate or separative powers
      as against That. All that is is consciousness/energy.
      Consciousness is energy and energy is consciousness.
      Neither mind nor body nor soul nor personality exist apart
      from That. Realizing is That. Non-realizing is That. Use
      the mind recursively and see what it means.

      PHIL:

      How can you be so sure that you are not now in the "other
      place" of which you speak? "Mars and Earth" are just a
      perspective. From the point of view of the whole solar
      system, there is no difference.

      This did remind me of a PBS special about Rumi I watched
      last night.
      Rumi said somewhere that language-use is a mark of
      separation from the Source. But what if separation is
      impossible? What if "separation" is only a "leela" or
      divine trick and the ineluctable reality is that You are
      That always and everywhere?

      JOHN METZGER:

      Am I even close, to surmise that nonduality might be a
      "perfection" of one's point of view, but not necessarily of
      one's personality? From my lowly discursive vantage-point,
      can the same question be asked of what is called
      enlightenment? Do I need to "see" nondualistically to
      evolve toward or realize a state of being unconditionally
      loving?
      What is an example of the most loving, most aware being of
      duality? Does 'it" depend on how I cut the Christ-mind, "I
      and the Father are one," according to my own petty measure?
      What can an ol' hillbilly do?

      I saw Bo Diddly at one of those Everly Brothers festivals
      one year in Central city. One more lesson in nonduality.

      HANS:

      This is my meditation. I totally ignore whatever arises.
      Whatever arises is only a story and nothing more. A bunch
      of words or pictures. If I would pay any attention to it, I
      would get caught up in it. Just not worth it. I just stay
      within this feeling of "existence". The "I" is still there,
      but is not filtering anymore. It feels as if my attention
      is being drawed to a certain "non-place" and whatever arises
      just falls into it and vanishes. Very difficult to explain
      in words.

      LITTLE B:

      Thank you Hans for the courage to write and send this
      message. It is of great encouragement and help to little
      b. The messages floats close to my heart.

      Jean Klein is a very meaningful teacher for this mean little
      spark.

      Some excerpts that I found in "The Ease of Being"...

      "Once you give the body a chance to be body, once you stop
      projecting patterns, the unconditioned nature of your body
      comes up in your awareness."

      "In waiting without expectation, your real life appears.

      "Heidegger calls this way of seeing "waiting without
      waiting." JK-- "objectless waiting"

      "You must lose yourself in objectless waiting. When you do,
      you give up taking, you give up doing, you give up
      creating. Then life spontaneously creates in you." "But
      when this happens, there is nobody to whom it happens.
      In timeless awareness there is nobody."

      Giving all objects their freedom.
      I return to stillness and silence.
      In this I discover that I am Free.

      JAN:

      Is is quite possible to "arrive" at nonduality without
      having any knowledge of it. As this is the exception, it
      cannot be made into a system or belief but the exception is
      fundamental; recognition of "what is" will happen
      automatically when awareness is (temporarily) freed from
      conditioning. No quest, no seeking, no meditation, no
      belief and unlearning instead of learning. I won't say that
      is easy difficult or anything else:
      it has happened this way and the biography of Ramana
      Maharshi shows one of such examples; probably there are
      many.

      "Awareness temporarily freed from conditioning" is likely to
      be a very inexact term. If the "first flash" is untainted,
      one knows immediately "this is it" and one will go after it
      no matter what it takes. Intuition will cry out loud what
      to do and what shouldn't so again, no quest, seeking or
      belief but spontaneous meditation and learning by
      experience. This will result in a second "flash" with
      permanent relief (from the "I"). As nondual only means "not
      two" I hope it is clear. It still isn't the end of the road
      but the wheel is halted.

      Just for the sake of argument for those "not +knowing+ to be
      there already" this is described as simultaneous living in
      two worlds, the immovable kingdom of heaven and the world of
      sense objects, or as a "dual, simultaneous consciousness":
      one of the changeless Brahman and one of Maya.

      Although the foundation of nondualism can be found in
      scriptures, the foundation of the foundation is the pathless
      path and direct experience.
      P.S. One might ask why the "first flash" is for some so
      bright as to see the "goal" at one glance. If this wasn't
      possible, again that would mean a cause to "arrive" and the
      need of a path to "go". So the question could be rephrased
      as "how does one know for sure to have dropped all
      conditioning?" and the answer to that is " one can only know
      when taking leave from life in the act of dying". This is
      rather serious and one won't laugh until the "first flash".
      Interestingly, in Italy there has been a monastery where the
      monks were sleeping in coffins. There isn't a description
      of their sadhana though...

      PEON:

      If peon has not experienced there is not a cow in Texas nor
      a guitar in Tennessee, but by equal odds peon can never
      expect to help another experience, nor does peon really much
      care.

      Being in agreement with Richard Bucke of Cosmic
      Consciousness recognition, there is not any feeling or
      thought, that such is, or even could be, a consideration.

      That such experience is spontaneous is of no doubt to peon.
      That it could well fit the definition of an accident is also
      of little doubt. I do however believe (as differentiated
      from "know") that actions may be taklen which enhance the
      probability of having such accident.

      Peon is not here to teach anyone anything, nor does peon
      care to do so. I am here for the sole purpose of being in
      the company of other souls who are either experiencers or
      interested in such because life at my age is, in retirement,
      finally allowing time for such activity, and this media
      allows me to reach into places sorely missed and unavailable
      in earlier days.

      If it becomes apparent to me that my presence is not desired
      I shall, as I have in the past, depart.

      My attitude is such that if I can learn from anyone, great.
      If anyone perchance learns anything from this simple minded
      experiencer, that too is fine. If not, so be it.

      My natural state is a very joyful one, simple, open,
      truthful, not obsesssed by doubts but trusting this Universe
      which has labored endlessly for billions of years that I
      might be sitting here tonight pecking with two feeble
      fingers on this keyboard.

      That we are here is proof enough for me that all is Miracle
      and worthy of our acceptance, and it is evident to me that
      creation requires a Creator. Beyond such, I have, as I have
      stated, experienced the Creator. Belief in that by anyone
      else carries no weight nor does disbelief. What is is.

      ==GENE POOLE==

      Hi All,

      Well, it is me again, or still. Sometimes I feel like I am
      fielding balls from a hundred batters. No matter.

      I want to assure you that no matter what heavenly postion
      you may assume that I assume myself to be holding, that I am
      actually right in here with you, in both mud and light. I
      truth, I enjoy both.

      I have often revealed my longing for direct honesty. Yet to
      do so, invariably brings forth protests that I accuse others
      of dishonesty.
      Similar to my statement of my own style, which elicited
      protests that I was issuing edicts. Why are these things an
      issue for me?

      I am unsure of others, but my own goal is to clear obstacles
      to unassuming clarity. For me, this means to state myself,
      rather than my 'beliefs'. I am not dogma, I am me. If I do
      not present dogma, it cannot be objected to.
      But if I present me, no matter what style or words used,
      objection is possible. And this is good. Why? Because at
      the base of it, it is not belief or dogma which will 'rule',
      but instead, an abiding, unshakeable 'sense of self'. It is
      in the security of myself, that I propose to write here.

      I note that myself is not an idea, although the idea of
      myself does exist as an idea. I experience myself as an
      unseen, unknown (usually! Not always!) quality. If anyone
      has an idea of what I am, and they do not approve of that,
      they my certainly point that out to me, in their own way.
      But I offer that if one actually does 'know' what I am, that
      one also knows the 'me' as being the 'same me' which that
      one is. So then there is no contention.

      Contention occurs around ideas in discussion; it also occurs
      around evaluation of other's behaviour and the assumptions
      behind those evaluations. Hurt feelings abound; it is usual
      to find that one who usually is 'sensitive' will strike
      'back' if it is assumed that there has been a 'strike' in
      the first place, as though being struck is an allowance to
      strike.

      I have written many of these letters; this is the first one
      that I am sending. I do not wish to clog the bandwidth with
      my personal whinings, especially if I think that I will be
      seen as some vast pontificating stuffed shirt, or worse.
      (heaven forbid!)

      I ask you... what is going on with you? Do you enjoy the
      tensions of unexpressed anxiety and fear? Why do you
      tolerate it? I propose that it is tolerated, because in
      their own way, each has a vested interest in maintaining
      it. It serves to 'shake out' loyalties and provokes
      side-taking; in that regard, it is also interesting to note
      that some will placate, and others will fan flames. But no
      matter, as long as the game continues, it is all grist for
      the mill. It is only the family-game of 'we do not talk
      about these things here' which enables ongoing unstated or
      understated tensions in a population; someone has something
      to gain, and someone has something to lose, so the
      conspiracy is to keep the stressors going, to provoke the
      evolution of short-term gains.

      I state honestly, that I love every one of us; this NDS is a
      great thing, and I want to keep it going. I do not want it
      to degenerate into a personality cult; either by praise of
      personality or by condemnation of personality. It can work
      either way.

      I say, beware pickpockets!

      Figure that one out.

      As I said, I do not usually send these letters which I write
      to myself, to help myself clarify my own thoughts. But this
      one I am sending, rather than to the trash. Put it there
      yourself if that is where you feel it belongs.
      Comment invited.

      "Community is the sharing of the burden of personality"

      NONDUAL DON QUIXOTE

      from ZEN IN ENGLISH LITERATURE (1941)

      R.H. BLYTH

      from the PREFACE

      Zen is the most precious possession of Asia. With its
      beginnings in India, development in China, and final
      practical application in Japan, it is today the strongest
      power in the world. It is a world-power, for in so far as
      men live at all, they live by Zen. Wherever there is a
      poetical action, a religious aspiration, a heroic thought, a
      union of the Nature within a man and the Nature without,
      there is Zen.

      Speaking generally, in world culture we find Zen most
      clearly and significantly in the following: in the ancient
      worthies of Chinese Zen, for instance, Eno and Ummon; in the
      practical men of affairs of Japan, Hojo Tokumune, for
      example, and in the poet Basho; in Christ; in Eckehart, and
      in the music of Bach; in Shakespeare and Wordsworth. 'Zen
      in English Litarature' embraces the literature of Zen in
      Chinese and Japanese, the Chinese and Japanese classics, and
      the whole extent of English literature, with numerous
      quotations from German, French, Italian and Spanish
      literatures. Don Quixote has a chapter all to himself; he
      is for the first time, I believe, satisfactorily explained.
      He is the purest example, in the whole of world literature,
      of the man who lives by Zen; but Sancho Panza also is not so
      far from the Kingdom of Heaven as perhaps even his author
      supposed.

      The Pathway of Nonduality

      by Raphael

      Chapter 7

      The Three States of Being

      Q. What do the three states of Being and the Fourth,
      mentioned in the Mandukya Upanishad, mean? There is also
      mention of the three worlds of manifestation; do these
      correspond to the three states? Some speak of seven worlds;
      is this perhaps in disagreement with the teaching of the
      Upanishads?

      A. Every world can be subdivided into other worlds or
      spheres of existence; therefore mention is made of three,
      five, seven and even ten worlds. The number is of little
      importance. It depends upon the point of view from which
      one wishes to examine things.

      For example, the physical plane may be taken as a whole or
      divided into its solid, liquid and gaseous dimensions; we
      know that, within each of these live and move entities which
      are different from one another. Thus in the 'liquid'
      dimension, although it belongs to the gross-physical domain,
      a world quite apart from the solid one lives and moves and
      may even be considered as a world unto itself with its own
      specific qualities. In any case, we can say with the
      Mandukya Upanishad:

      "All this is surely Brahman. This atman is Brahman and
      atman has four quarters (pada).

      "The first quarter is vaisvanara, whose sphere of action is
      the waking state....

      "The second quarter is taijasa (the luminous), whose sphere
      of action is the state of dreaming....

      "The third quarter is prajna, whose sphere of action is deep
      sleep....

      "The sages believe that the Fourth...is invisible,
      non-acting...."

      The Mandukya is defined as that Upanisad which alone
      synthesizes the whole of Vedanta teaching. We find in it
      the enunciation of the three states of Being as well as the
      Fourth which refers to the metaphysical and transcendent
      state.

      All branches, both Western and Eastern, of the Tradition
      recognize the fact that the one Being expresses Itself, on
      the plane of manifestation, in different vital states, in
      different existential forms or in various modes.

      One may also say that Being expresses Itself in various
      vibratory states of consciousness, both at the formal and
      formless levels. It follows that we have to distinguish the
      existential plane from the entities that live and are in it.

      Let us take as an instance the dense physical plane, that
      is, the plane on which we are experiencing our present
      lives. It is a plane of existence. It is formed by solid,
      liquid and gaseous vibrations, etc., which belong to the
      gross plane of vaisvanara, in all these vibratory state, as
      we already mentioned, there are entites that live, move, a
      way of being, millions of entities that express their
      qualities through well-defined forms; in the gaseous state,
      or in the air, as many millions more of entities carry on
      their existence and their being, and so on.

      When the Mandukya Upanisad speaks of vaisvanara it refers to
      our bodily state, our physical being, our gross state, which
      corresponds to the gross universal plane Being (Virat).
      Therefore we have that visva, or the entity identified with
      visva, experiments [sic] upon a portion of the Virat plane.

      Visva is the individual entity; Virat is the universal
      Entity; therefore Virat is not only our planet but the
      totality of the worlds that express themselves upon the
      gross plane.

      The sphere of action, of manifestation of the jiva-visra
      (the soul embodied upon the gross plane) is that which man
      normally calls waking -- naturally as compared with dream
      and sleep. Through this state of consciousness and upon the
      existential plane of Virat, the human jiva has various kinds
      of experience.

      This state is characterized by ahamkara (the sense of ego),
      by manas (the empirical projective mind), by kama (desire in
      its indefinite expressions) and by the gross physical body
      (sthulasarira or annamayakosa, body made of food, or, in the
      correspondent's case, 'cheetomayacola'). Therefore the
      jiva, by means of appropriate bodies of manifestation, with
      their respective senses and faculties, experiences the
      vaisvanara sphere.

      The world of the bodies-visra is a world of needs, tension
      and conflict because it is essentially a world of want,
      poverty and non-being.

      But besides the dense physical plane, the jiva-entity
      experiences with its subtle body (lingasarira) another
      existential plane, that of Hiranyagarbha.

      (to be continued)

      SKYE:

      In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a
      lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a
      bad move...

      Nonduality Salon Website
      http://www.nonduality.com
      Nonduality Salon Email Forum
      http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/nondualitysalon
      Nonduality Salon List of Nondual People
      http://www.nonduality.com/morea.htm
      Encyclopedia of Nonduality
      http://www.nonduality.com/context.htm
      Nonduality Salon Chat
      http://www.eScribe.com/religion/nondualitysalon/chat
      New to Chat? Please consider the following suggestions:
      http://dragon.minopher.net.au/WebEd/protocol.htm