#1434 Sunday, May 18, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , May 19, 2003

      Let go of what may come.
      Let go of what is happening now.
      Don't try to figure anything out.
      Don't try to make anything happen.
      Relax, right now, and rest.

      ~ Tilopa

      #1434 -  Sunday, May 18, 2003 - Editor: Gloria

      "Waterlilies" by Monet

      Dogen said, "Although everything has Buddha
      nature, we love flowers, and we do not care for
      weeds." This is true of human nature. But that we
      are attached to some beauty is itself Buddha's
      activity. That we do not care for weeds is also
      Buddha's activity. We should know that. If you
      know that, it is all right to attach to something. If it
      is Buddha's attachment, that is non-attachment.

      ~Shunryu Suzuki  Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind

      Mazie & b   AdyashantiSatsang

      So in love there should be hate, or non-attachment. And in hate there should be love,
      or acceptance. Love and hate are one thing. We should not attach to love alone. We
      should accept hate. We should accept weeds, despite how we feel about them. If you
      do not care for them, do not love them; if you love them then love them. Usually you
      criticize yourself for being unfair to your surroundings; you criticize your
      unaccepting attitude. But there is a very subtle difference between the usual way of
      accepting and our way of accepting things, although they may seem exactly the same.
      We have been taught that there is no gap between nighttime and daytime, no gap
      between you and I. This means oneness. But we do not emphasize even oneness. If it
      is one, there is no need to emphasize one. Dogen said: "To learn something is to know
      yourself; to study Buddhism is to study yourself." To learn something is not to
      acquire something which you did not know before. You know something before you
      learn it. There is no gap between the "I" before you know something, and the "I"
      after you know something. There is no gap between the ignorant and the wise. A
      foolish person is a wise person; a wise person is a foolish person. But usually we
      think, "He is foolish and I am wise," or "I was foolish, but now I am wise." How can
      we be wise if we are foolish? But the understanding transmitted from Buddha to us
      is that there is no difference whatsoever between the foolish man and the wise man.
      It is so. But if I say this people may think that I am emphasizing oneness. That is
      not so. We do not emphasize anything. All we want to do is to know things just as
      they are. If we know things, as they are, there is nothing to point at; there is no way
      to grasp anything; there is no thing to grasp. We cannot put emphasis on any point.
      Nevertheless, as Dogen said, "A flower falls, even though we love it; and a weed
      grows, even though we do not love it." Even though it is so, this is our life. In this
      way our life should be understood. Then there is no problem. Because we put
      emphasis on some particular point, we always have trouble. We should accept things
      just as they are. This is how we understand everything, and how we live in this world.
      This kind of experience is something beyond our thinking. In the thinking realm
      there is a difference between oneness and variety; but in actual experience, variety
      and unity are the same. Because you create some idea of unity or variety, you are
      caught by the idea. And you have to continue the endless thinking, although actually
      there is no need to think. Emotionally we have many problems; they are something
      created; they are problems pointed out by our self-centered ideas or views. Because
      we point out something, there are problems. But actually it is not possible to point
      out anything in particular. Happiness is sorrow; sorrow is happiness. Even though the
      ways we feel are different, they are not really different; in essence they are the
      same. This is the true understanding; transmitted from Buddha to us.

      ~Shunryu Suzuki  Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind

      DC Vision  Spiritual Friends

      One of the strange little idiosyncracies of mine throughout my life,
      has been the desire to stand in a spot upon the earth where I
      envision no one has ever stood before. We had 70 acres of woods
      behind my parents home in southern New Hampshire, and whenever I got
      the chance I took walks out there. I would go off the beaten paths,
      and stand in the middle of a thicket, and imagine that I was the
      first human to ever occupy that space. There was a resonance to the
      experience that I have never outgrown.

      Throughout my horseback journey I repeated this same ritual of seeing
      a spot I was sure, either because of its impassability, or because of
      it undesirability, that no one had ever been on that spot. I would
      tie up the horse and go to the place I spotted, and just breathe in
      its essence. I have left my presence throughout the United States in
      this fashion.

      Out west, during my driving and teaching phase, I would come across
      many places that had the same feel of loneliness to them. My most
      vivid was in Nevada on route 50 (touted as the loneliest highway in
      America). There would be these mountain passes, with 50 mile valleys
      in between without a sign of human habitation. I would get to the
      base of the valley, then pull off and drive a mile into the flat
      desolation. Getting out of my vehicle, I'd walk another hundred yards
      and marvel at the lack of human noise. These experiences still haunt
      me to this day. I crave them.

      This summer I know I will traverse this island from end to end and
      seek out this experience as often as I can. I have also been known to
      go into abandoned houses and just silently take in the echoes of it's
      inhabitants. There are many of these abandoned houeses across the
      country, and I have absorbed hundreds of them over the years. I just
      walked through and touched the walls, delapidated furniture, and
      picked up any debris to seek it's history.

      I have often wondered if anyone else had this same peculiar appetite
      for standing alone in a place of either desolation, or abandonment,
      and tried to be present within it. It is like a well kept secret of
      mine, and I hope I have inspired you by sharing it here.

      DC Vision
      Mazie Lane  HarshaSatsangh

      There are those sleeping who are awake,
      and others awake who are sound asleep.

      Some of those bathing in sacred pools
      will never get clean.

      And there are others
      doing household chores
      who are free of any action.

      ~Lalla

      Today, sitting by the cold stream,
      dreaming, dreaming

      a thousand seasons came and went,
      unnoticed.

      Truth and lies, twining smoke vapors,
      spiraled higher and higher into the
      deepest blue these eyes have
      ever seen.

      Somewhere, a dharma preacher
      inexplicably fell silent in
      mid-sentence.

      Somewhere, love welled up again
      in an old couple's eyes.

      Somewhere, a thousand seasons
      flooded by unnoticed, while
      somebody sat near a clear
      cold stream,

      dreaming, dreaming.

      ~Mazie & b

      "Cloud Reflection" photo by Al Larus

      Gill Eardley  Allspirit

      Mind at Peace

      When the mind is at peace,
      the world too is at peace.
      Nothing real, nothing absent.
      Not holding on to reality,
      not getting stuck in the void,
      you are neither holy or wise, just
      an ordinary fellow who has completed his work.

      ~P'ang Yün

      Quietness

      Rumi

      Inside this new love, die.
      Your way begins on the other side.
      Become the sky.
      Take an axe to the prison wall.
      Escape.
      Walk out like someone suddenly born into color.
      Do it now.
      You're covered with thick clouds.
      Slide out the side. Die,
      and be quiet. Quietness is the surest sign
      that you've died.
      Your old life was a frantic running
      from silence.

      The speechless full moon
      comes out now.

      "These Branching Moments"
      Translated by Coleman Barks

      Eric Paroissien   HarshaSatsangh

      now i look, here i see
      lo the world has come
      right on time for my love
      for my eyes only

      "Irises" by Monet

      before talking about beauty
      of course i must see it and:
      light is given to my eyes
      only as much as my heart
      opens to my true nature

      now mentioning disasters and pain
      surely makes buddys
      and obviously
      when a person rejoices in herself
      immersed in buddha or only in the quest for him
      she does not "rely" much on friends
      the whole world is friends
      she is her own beacon
      on her own sea
      in peace
      Savitri  SufiMystic

      BIODANCE - Whirling Dervish and NATARAJ - THE DANCE OF SHIVA

      We renew our physical body just as we regrow hair and nails. We are on the
      move. Five years ago we didn't exist, all our atoms having been replaced in the
      interval. Here today, completely gone in five years, renewed down to the last
      single atom, we endure only in the shape, form and pattern that are assured by
      our genetic blueprint.

      Our replacement parts come in constant flow from the earth itself. The carbon
      atoms in my body were once of the earth and shall be again, only to be
      exchanged for more of the same. After leaving my body they may re-enter me at a
      later time. Or they may be fixed for a while in the body of someone else- or
      something else- in this unending round of "biodance," this dance of life.

      BIODANCE- the endless exchange of the elements of living things with the earth
      itself - proceeds silently, giving us no hint that it is happening. It is a
      dervish dance, animated and purposeful and disciplined; and it is a dance in
      which every living organism participates.

      These observations simply defy any definition of a static and fixed body. Even
      our genes, our claim to biologic individuality, constantly dissolve and are
      renewed. Our dissolution is a silent flow occurring outside our awareness. we
      are in a persistent equilibrium with the earth.

      It is not only our genes that renew themselves. The entire body participates in
      this astonishing dynamism. Radioisotopic techniques allow us to trace the
      chemicals that enter and leave the body. Aebersold has concluded that 98
      percent of the 10 to the power of 28 28 atoms of the body are replaced
      annually. Some tissue, such as bone, is especially dynamic. Each body structure
      has its own rate of reformation: the lining of the stomach renews itself in a
      week; the skin is entirely replaced in a month; the liver is regenerated in six
      weeks.

      Yet the boundary of our body has to be extended even farther than the earth
      itself. We know that certain elements in our body, such as the phosphorus in
      our bones, were formed at an earlier stage in the evolution of our galaxy. Like
      many elements in the earth's crust, it was cycled through the lifetime of
      several stars before appearing terrestrially, eventually finding its way into
      our body.

      A strictly bounded body does not exist. Our roots go deep; we are anchored in
      the stars.

      The biodance, the constant renewal of our body from the world outside, stands
      in playful contrast to our ordinary idea of death. We do not wait on death, for
      we are constantly returning to the earth while alive. Every living moment a
      portion of the billions of atoms in our body returns to the world outside. This
      constant streaming is so pronounced, so necessary for life, that the very
      notion of 'boundary' begins to appear as an arbitrary idea rather than a
      physical reality.

      The dance of Shiva is considered an act of creation. It arouses dormant
      energies.This productive energy of the Absolute in its pristine strength
      represents the forces of evolution and involution, the appearance and
      disappearance of the universe.

      Every aspect of life has two opposite entities. Deva is the divine principle
      and Bhuta is matter. Deva is light , truth and immortality; Bhuta is darkness,
      untruth and death. One is positive and the other is negative; one is life and
      the other is inertia. The cycle of life and death can only proceed when these
      two basic opposite forces, represented by the Devas and the Bhutas are finally
      reconciled. These two opposite principles are eternally in conflict
      (Daivasuram) but become reconciled in the body of Shiva. Their co-existence is
      expressed in the rhythm of Shiva's dance.

      http://www.hinduism.org.za/

      Toby  SufiMystic

      Some words from John de Ruiter...
      John: "This is what I live in. You can call it the kingdom of God, or
      the world of everything that God is, or reality or Truth. The
      universe of God-stuff is within. You cannot find it with the mind,
      you cannot find it through thoughts, so you cannot use your world to
      catch it. In that way, it is unassailable. But when the consciousness
      of a human is completely relaxed and lets itself be quiet and gentle,
      it finds itself within something that it always knew to be true. It
      cannot do anything to get there. And it can only be there without
      effort. One can only be immersed in it through simple, openness and
      softness of heart."

      "Irises" by Van Gogh