#1432 Friday, May 16, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , May 17, 2003
      .

      Hidden birds sing as cool and clear
      As a bamboo forest.
      Between swinging willows
      Sun beams glimmer
      Like golden threads.
      Clouds return to this calm valley.
      The winds carry the fragrance of almonds.
      By sitting alone all day long
      I clear my mind of a thousand thoughts.
      To speak of this is beyond words;
      Only by sitting under the quiet forest
      Can we ever understand.

      - Fa Yen (885-958)

      Issue #1432 - Friday, May 16, 2003 - Editor: Gloria

      Waiting

      Waiting sells off
      the present moment
      on the auction block
      of the not-now,

      waiting conjures up ghosts,
      remembered realities sewn
      with past images,
      grabbed from the random
      roulette wheel of memory,

      waiting is always empty,
      it is your soul panhandling,
      and the price is your life.

      - Zen Oleary
      May 14, 2003

      I sought Zen from temples and teachers,
      Then found it along the way of Tsao His
      Inside this moment forever.
      When walking now, I walk Zen.
      When sitting, I sit Zen.
      Talking, quiet; moving, stillness,
      The calm within.

      - Hsuan Chyuen (655–713)

      The water of the mind,
      how clear it is!
      Gazing at it,
      the boundaries are invisible.
      But as soon as even
      a slight thought arises,
      ten thousand images crowd it.
      Attach to them,
      and they become real.
      Be carried by them,
      and it will be difficult to return.
      How painful to see a person
      trapped in the ten-fold delusions.

      - Ryokan

      Manuel Hernandez  A Net of Jewels

      "Discard every self-seeking motive as soon as it is seen and you need not
      search for truth; truth will find you."

      The Wisdom of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

      Joseph Riley  Panhala

      No, no, there is no going back.

      Less and less you are

      that possibility you were.

      More and more you have become

      those lives and deaths

      that have belonged to you.

      You have become a sort of grave

      containing much that was

      and is no more in time, beloved

      then, now, and always.

      And so you have become a sort of tree

      standing over the grave.

      Now more than ever you can be

      generous toward each day

      that comes, young, to disappear

      forever, and yet remain

      unaging in the mind.

      Every day you have less reason

      not to give yourself away.

      ~ Wendell Berry ~

      (The Sabbath Poems, 1993, I)

      Gill Eardley  Allspirit

      What keeps us alive, what allows us to endure?
      I think it is the hope of loving,
      or being loved.

      I heard a fable once about the sun going on a journey
      to find its source, and how the moon wept
      without her lover's
      warm gaze.

      We weep when light does not reach our hearts. We wither
      like fields if someone close
      does not rain their
      kindness
      upon
      us.

      ~Meister Eckhart

      lunar eclipse photo from: www.mikey.net/astronomy/

      David Bozzi

      Awakening

      Snap piece.
      Icicle twig off
      frozen heart.

      Lick. Suck.

      Tongue melts taste.
      Cools hot mouth.

      Summer hibernates
      under layers of winter
      awaiting spring.

      I snuggle
        like a bear in my cave
      insulated in body fat
        stored to last a lifetime,
      I sleep.

      Soul fire
      breathes warmth.

      Burning.

      Dreaming.

      Dreaming of awakening.

      Your voice lands gently
      on cozy ears
      like snow flakes,

      like sun
        kissing snow
      like a long, lost lover...

      Daily Dharma

      "Alexander Berzin, a translator for His Holiness the Dalai Lama, commented on the connotation of the word ‘refuge’ as a translation of the Tibetan term.  He pointed out that ‘refuge’ conveys a sense of isolation, of withdrawing into an ivory tower, whereas what it is meant to represent is an active process, a constant engaging of the dharma path.  He himself uses an alternative translation, ‘wholehearted commitment.’" ~~Chagdud Khadro

      From the book, "Red Tara Commentary,” published by Padma Publishing.

      Joyce (Know Mystery)  Spiritual Friends

      "Whitebird"

      "And it won't help any, it won't get us anywhere!
      it won't wipe away what has been
      nor hold off what is to be
      if you hear me saying-
      -LOVE is a little white bird-
      and the flight of it so fast
      you can't see it
      and you know it's there
      only by the faint whirr of its wings
      and the hush song coming so low to your ears
      you fear it might be silence
      and you listen keen and you listen long
      and you know it's more than silence
      for you get the hush song so lovely
      it hurts and cuts into your heart
      and what you want is to give more than you can get
      and you'd like to write it but it can't be written
      and you'd like to sing it but you don't dare try
      because the little white bird sings it better than you can
      so you listen and while you listen you pray
      and one day it's as though a great slow wind
      had washed you clean and strong inside and out
      and the little white bird's hush song
      is telling you nothing can harm you
      the days to come can weave in and weave out
      and spin their fabrics and designs for you
      and nothing can harm you
      unless you change yourself into a thing of harm
      nothing can harm you....
      I give you the little white bird
      -and my thanks for your hearing me-
      and my prayers for you
      my deep silent prayers."

      ~ Carl Sandburg ~

      http://www.megafoundation.org/Ubiquity/UbiQSum01/UltraPeacock.jpg

      My hut settled among neighbors,
      I ignore the noise of horses and carts.
      You ask how I get along;
      My mind remains wide,
      So my place is naturally remote.

      - Tao Yuan Ming (365 – 427)

      This, and other Zen poems from:

      http://www.dailyzen.com/homey.asp

      Bondzai  SufiMystic

      I found this great book by Norman Fischer... He has a nice
      translation of the Psalms called "Opening to You"

      Here is Psalm 1

      HAPPY IS THE ONE WHO walks otherwise
      Than in the manner of the heedless
      Who stands otherwise
      Than in the way of the twisted
      Who does not sit in the seat of the scornful
      But finds delight in the loveliness of things
      And lives by that pattern all day and all night--

      For this one is like a tree planted near a stream
      That gives forth strong fruit in season
      And whose leaf doesn't wither
      And whose branches spread wide--

      Not so the heedless

      They are like chaff scattered by the wind
      Endlessly driven, they cannot occupy their place
      And so can never be seen or embraced
      And they can never be joined

      What you see is always lovely and remembered
      But the way of heedlessness is oblivion

      _______________________________

      Opening to You  Psalm 15

      WHO CAN REST in your tent?
      Who can stand on your mountain?

      The one who walks upright
      Does what is good
      Utters true words of the heart
      And does not deceive with the tongue
      Who does no harm to a neighbor
      And never reproaches others
      who sees crookedness for what it is
      And honors the truth that flows from you
      Whose word is firm even in difficulty
      Who gives asking nothing in return
      And does not seek advantage
      At the expense of the innocent

      The one who lives this way
      Will never be shaken

      Nonduality Discussion from SufiMystic

       "Good, evil ... what is the difference?"

      Michael McCarthy:  My take:
      1. Duality is not real, but only apparent. That it "seems" so
        terribly, terribly real is beside the point.

      Bill Rishel:
      I think you are missing the point. What you perceive is real to you. That is
      exactly why I feel it is a mistake to say there is no good or evil. This is
      like having a preference and pretending you don't. Self deception is not
      exactly the best path to truth. If anything is beside the point to us most
      of the time it is the non dual perspective. That is as it should be as
      non-duality has no problem with duality, it encompasses and embraces it. If
      it didn't it wouldn't be non-dual.

      We are all both dual and non-dual at all times. A decision to attain a
      non-dual perspective is the same thing as maintaining a dual perspective.
      This might seem like some kind of impossible catch 22 if not for grace. All
      That Is is pulling us toward itself. We are unable to drive ourselves toward
      it. We are however permitted the illusion that we can drive ourselves to
      heaven so to speak. I for one prefer reality to illusion.

      MM:
      2. So-called action by so-called persons always arises "organically",
      be it a confrontation in a dark alley or the brushing of teeth.

      There is no synthetic maker. Only one Maker. The "pseudo-entity"
      never acts. Just as the pseudo-entity is only apparent, so all
      actions attributed to such are only apparent.

      BR: What is the value of making people into so-called people? Every person who
      has ever walked the earth was a so-called person. Why not call people,
      people and be done with it. As to calling folks pseudo entities same goes
      there. Every action performed since the dawn of creation was performed by a
      "pseudo entity" that includes Buddha, Jesus, Nisargadatta and anyone else
      you care to mention. These labels seem to to keep life at arms length. To
      what end?

      Can non-duality act in any way and still maintain its non-dual status? I
      don't think so. Perhaps "acting" is our proper function as we are both dual
      and non-dual simultaneously. That would seem to give us slightly greater
      status than apparent pseudo beings deserve.

      ...My Private Hallucination:

        There is no "indefinitely sustained suspension of tension".
        The reason for this is that "suspension of tension" is a relative
        term. It is stated from the perspective "not always sustained tension".
        Non-duality is not the same as indefinite samadhi. Again, indefinite
        samadhi is a relative term. Non-duality, on the other hand, is not
        a *state*. This is very difficult to comprehend for one who is trying
        to "realize Non-duality", for it is inherently impossible to comprehend
        from such a perspective. Realization of Non-duality is inherently
        *non-coincident* with a perspective of seeking attainment thereof.

        So why speak of Non-duality if it is not attainable through a process
        of seeking attainment?

        Because Non-duality *is the case*. It is the only truth. All else is
        fiction. It is inherently impossible to attain something that is
        already, and always has been, the case. There is no change in state
        required.

      Ramana Maharshi addresses what seems to me this very issue (of "sustained
      samadhi" or "liberation") with a directness and lucidity that leaves
      me in awe. I quote him:

        'Bondage' and 'Liberation' are mere linguistic terms. They
        have no reality of their own. Therefore they cannot function
        of their own accord. It is necessary to accept the existence
        of some basic thing of which they are the modifications. If
        one enquires, 'for whom is there bondage and Liberation?' it
        will be seen, 'they are for me'. If one enquires, 'who am
        I?', one will see that there is no such thing as the 'I'. It
        will then be as clear as an amalaka fruit in one's hand that
        what remains is one's real being. As this truth will be
        naturally and clearly experienced by those who leave aside
        mere verbal discussions and enquire into themselves inwardly,
        there is no doubt that all realized persons uniformly see
        neither bondage nor Liberation so far as the true Self is
        concerned.
                                    Ramana Maharshi
                                    Spiritual Instruction
                                    Ch. IV

      The above quote and its full context can be found at:
      http://www.ramana-maharshi.org/spiritb.htm

      Gill Eardley  Allspirit

      The Realization of the Nondual traditions is uncompromising:
      There is only Spirit, there is only God, there is only Emptiness
      in all its radiant wonder. All the good and all the evil, the very
      best and the very worst, the upright and the degenerate -- each
      and all are radically perfect manifestations of Spirit precisely
      as they are.  There is nothing but God, nothing but the Goddess,
      nothing but Spirit in all directions, and not a grain of sand, not
      a speck of dust, is more or less Spirit than any other.

      ~Ken Wilber

      ------------
      Allspirit Website:
      http://www.allspirit.co.uk

      'Misinformation" poster courtesy of Gene Poole

      Hey Jerry,

            Happy Birthday!

            Folks, I had coffee with Jerry earlier today - he didn't tell me
      it was his birthday - he even bought the coffee! - anyway - I can
      attest that there really is a nondualguy...and the dude is ageless?

      Love and Gratitude,
      James

      ps - my birthday is Nov. 10

      ~ ~ ~

      Thank you for the birthday greetings, the sentiments, revelations, good will, creative efforts, and humor. We're a great group. We have great creative artistic people, enough friction to keep it interesting, and people who know how to prattle, entertain, confess, converse, and educate. Thank you for your thoughts and your company.

      Jerry