#1421 Sunday, May 4, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2003
      .

      Everything in nature contains all the power of nature.
      Everything is made of one hidden stuff...
      - Ralph Waldo Emerson
      ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
      .
      Highlights #1421
      Sunday, May 4, 2003
      Editor: Gloria

      ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

      John Metzger  Allspirit

      E-courses

      Practicing Spirituality with Nature Writers
      Led by Fred & Mary Ann Brussat

      Edward Abbey once described his essays as "prose psalms which celebrate the divine beauty of the natural world." Others who write about nature could say the same thing.

      Come along with us on a 40-day retreat with some of those who see the divine imprint in trees, rivers, meadows, mountains, deserts; who recognize wild animals, birds, and sea creatures as God's emissaries; who practice their spirituality outdoors.

      "Practicing Spirituality with Nature Writers" is the latest in the popular series of e-courses from SpiritualityHealth.com. We will savor the spiritual insights of Annie Dillard, Terry Tempest Williams, Barry Lopez, Gary Snyder, Rick Bass, Wendell Berry, and many others. These poets, essayists, and naturalists tutor us in the spiritual practices of wonder, play, reverence, and attention. The course will begin on June 9 and continue until July 18. You will receive a daily email with a short passage from a nature writer and a related practice suggestion.

      http://www.spiritualityhealth.com/newsh/items/ecourse/item_5843.html

      ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

      Tom Hickcox  Awareness-The Way to Love

      And let there be no purpose in friendship save the deepening of the spirit.
      For love that seeks aught but the disclosure of its own mystery is not love
      but a net cast forth: and only the unprofitable is caught.

      Kahlil Gibran
      ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

      "Like So Much Cave Art"

      "It wants to write its own poem,
      to be the creator,
      and the created,
      my heart.

      It wants to pluck a quill from the pheasant,
      or the swan,
      or the eagle,
      to dip the tip gently,
      softly into our blood,
      and to gracefully inscribe its own tales
      deep within it's many chambers,
      right there on the walls
      like so much cave art.

      The beautiful drawings it would paint
      there inside
      amidst the unceasing whooshing,
      undeterred by a throbbing pulse.

      The heart inscribes its own poems
      right there on its walls
      inside the chambers
      and waits
      with
      silence,
      pulsing,
      for the archaeologists to come."

      joyce (know_mystery)

      ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

      Viorica Weissman  MillionPaths

      A European gentleman began in measured tones and spoke clearly and slowly: Why should
          individuals remain caught up in the affairs of this world and reap troubles as a result?
          Should they not be free? If they are in the spiritual world, they will have greater
          freedom.

      M . The world is only spiritual. Since you are identifying yourself with the physical
          body, you speak of this world as being physical and the other world as spiritual.
          Whereas, that which is, is only spiritual.

      D . Do the disembodied souls, i.e., the spirits, have a deeper insight and enjoy greater
          freedom?

      M . Because you identify yourself with this body, you speak of the dis- embodied souls as
          being spirits. From these limitations, you talk of their limitations and seek to know
          their capacities. Even the disembodied souls have subtle bodies; otherwise, you would
          not say "disembodied souls." Disembodiment means "divested of this gross body."
          Inasmuch as you endow them with individuality they are centered in their subtle
          bodies. Their limitations will be according to their own state. Just as you feel the
          burden of your limitations, they also feel the burden of their limitations. What I
          meant by spirit and spiritual world is the Absolute Spirit and not relative. If you
          realize yourself as a Spirit, you will see that this world in only spiritual and not
          physical.

      from : Talks with Ramana Maharshi  InnerDirections Publishing , 2000 page 246

      ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

      Scott Reeves  Awareness-The Way to Love

      Lets get back to that marvelous sentence in the gospel about losing oneself  in order to
      find oneself. One finds it in most religious literature and in  all religious and spiritual
      and mystical literature.

      How does one lose oneself? Did you ever try to lose something? That's  right, the harder
      you try, the harder it gets. It's when you're not trying  that you lose things. You lose
      something when you're not aware. Well, how  does one die to oneself? We're talking
      about death now, we're not talking  about suicide. We're not told to kill the self, but to
      die. Causing pain  to the self, causing suffering to the self would be self-defeating. It
      would be counterproductive. You're never so full of yourself as when  you're in pain.
      You're never so centered on yourself as when you're  depressed. You're never so ready
      to forget yourself as when you are  happy. Happiness releases you from self. It is
      suffering and pain and  misery and depression that tie you to the self. Look how conscious
      you are  of your tooth when you have a toothache. When you don't have a toothache,
      you're not even aware you have a tooth, or that you have a head, for that  matter, when
      you don't have a headache. But it's so different when you  have a splitting headache.

      So it's quite false, quite erroneous, to think that the way to deny the  self is to cause
      pain to the self, to go in for abnegation, mortification,  as these were traditionally
      understood. To deny the self, to die to it, to  lose it, is to understand its true nature.
      When you do that, it will  disappear; it will vanish. Suppose somebody walks into my room
      one day. I  say, "Come right in. May I know who you are?" And he says, "I am
      Napoleon." And I say, "Not the Napoleon . . .." And he says,  "Precisely. Bonaparte,
      Emperor of France." "What do you know!" I say,  even while I'm thinking to myself, "I
      better handle this guy with care."

      ''Sit down, Your Majesty," I say. He says, "Well, they tell me you're a  pretty good
      spiritual director. I have a spiritual problem. I'm anxious,  I'm finding it hard to trust in
      God. I have my armies in Russia, see, and  I'm spending sleepless nights wondering how
      it's going to turn out." So I  say, "Well, Your Majesty, I could certainly prescribe
      something for  that. What I suggest is that you read chapter 6 of Matthew: "Consider
      the  lilies of the field . . . they neither toil nor spin."

      By this point I'm wondering who is crazier, this guy or me. But I go along  with this
      lunatic. That's what the wise guru does with you in the  beginning. He goes along with you;
      he takes your troubles  seriously. He'll wipe a tear or two from your eye. You're crazy,
      but you  don't know it yet. The time has to come soon when he'll pull the rug out  from
      under your feet and tell you, "Get off it, you're not Napoleon." In  those famous
      dialogues of St. Catherine of Siena, God is reported to have  said to her, "I am He who
      is; you are she who is not." Have you ever  experienced your is-not-ness? In the East we
      have an image for this. It  is the image of the dancer and the dance. God is viewed as the
      dancer and  creation as God's dance. It isn't as if God is the big dancer and you are  the
      little dancer. Oh no. You're not a dancer at all. You are being  danced! Did you ever
      experience that? So when the man comes to his senses  and realizes that he is not
      Napoleon, he does not cease to be. He  continues to be, but he suddenly realizes that he is
      something other than  what he thought he was.

      To lose the self is to suddenly realize that you are something other than  what you
      thought you were. You thought you were at the center; now you  experience yourself as
      satellite. You thought you were the dancer; you now  experience yourself as the dance.
      These are just analogies, images, so you  cannot take them literally. They just give you a
      clue, a hint; they're  only pointers, don't forget. So you cannot press them too much.
      Don't  take them too literally.

      Anthony de Mello, SJ

      ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

      Terry Murphy  SufiMystic

       Now that the whales are gone, on my daily walks I take my dog Lou
      down to the ocean to certain little inlets where the turtles hang
      out.  Turtles, unlike octupi, are protected, and so they have no particular
      reason to hate people.  I have had turtles actually swim a quarter of mile
      or so with me, for no better reason (that I could tell) than liking my
      company.
            Turtles eat the green stuff that grows on the rocks in the tidal
      zone.  Everyone figures that those hard shells are to protect the turtles
      from predators, but having seen those turtles get a good bit of banging
      around by the water on the rocks, I figure they are to protect them from
      that as well.
            Of course, scuba-diving is the easiest way to hang with the turtles,
      as they have to make a real effort to get away from you; in those little
      inlets you have a tendency to corner them without even meaning to.  Plus,
      they have favorite spots and habitual places that they are reluctant to
      abandon, even for the novelty of a scuba diver.
            It is harder to carry on a conversation (interaction) with a turtle
      from the land, but evening is a good time, as they come in at that hour to
      grab a few breaths (whatever predators they do face are further out to
      sea).  About once an hour turtles have to surface to breathe, but they
      spend most of their time underwater, much more so than whales.  I can tell
      they are aware of me when they come and eyeball me; plus they come up more
      often than necessary.  I talk to them, and I'm sure they can hear me.  They
      have attitude and personality, as anyone who has kept a turtle knows.  The
      younger (smaller) ones are excited, the older ones more interested in not
      disturbing their routine.  They are graceful swimmers but not above getting
      absorbed in goggling at a human and getting tossed about by an unexpected
      wave (thank goodness for those hard shells).  On occasion I have seen a
      wave go up that you can see through, and a turtle silhouetted against the
      light coming through the wave.
            Some local men a few years back were busted for selling turtle meat
      door to door.  They had a net whose mesh size was perfect for catching
      turtles, and possessing such a net is a violation of federal law.  I am
      happy there is a law against catching turtles.  Laws have been passed to
      outlaw "finning" sharks - it has been a common practice to catch sharks and
      cut off their fins and then release them to die a slow death.  Apparently
      sharkfins are valued in the East for use in traditional medicine.  Sharks
      are long-lived and slow to reproduce.
            I wish they would pass a law against spearing octopus.
            I understand hunting, an ecology has evolved in the american mountain
      states that allows for an annual "harvest" of game animals which are
      essentially grown for the purpose, and without such a harvest - and in the
      contrived absence of other predators - the excess animals would
      starve.  But fishing, besides being cruel compared to a bullet, is
      essentially strip-mining the ocean of edible protein.  Our gross
      intererence with the ocean ecology, similar to the destruction of the
      american buffalo in the nineteenth century, is likely to have profound
      effects on a food-chain we only dimly understand, one which may be more
      fragile than we think.  As long as the ocean fisheries aren't regulated,
      people will exploit them to the maximum technology allows.

            I know this is way off topic so I'll let it go.

      ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

      Gill Eardley  Allspirit

      Whales and redwoods both make us feel small and I think
      that's an important experience for humans to have at the
      hands of nature. We need to recognize that we are not the
      stars of the show. We're just another pretty face, just one
      species among millions more.

      ~Roger Payne in Talking on the Water

      ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

      Sam  NDS

      Some old Dutch tulips for you guys (and goils).  Their Dutch name is Gouwe Ouwe
      which means golden old ones...just like you...Sam

      ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

      John Logan  HarshaSatsangh

      I heard a poet on NPR talking about "unpacking" a work of art,
      poetry, prose, music, painting, sculpture. I found it an interesting
      concept. Behind the word is the question: What happens when we go
      back and revisit a work of art?

      Some works are actually quite superficial and don't merit revisiting,
      but others we go back to again and again and each time new depths of
      meaning and experience are revealed. It is this quality of a work of
      art that the word "unpacking" applies to. A high quality work has
      this quality that it can be "unpacked" to find deeper and deeper
      meaning for the viewer.

      I found it interesting enough that I am revisiting many old friends,
      especially poetry and paintings.

      Cheerio,
      John L.
      ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

      Tozen  TheUnbornMind

      When you put your trust in anything mortal or self-empty indeed you
      choose to believe in the corrupted light of spirit.

      Remember, there is nothing lasting in mortality, there is only change
      and fallibility.This is why your spirit should strive to know itself.
      To backtrack its own divided light, over the great river of
      dispersion known as "amnesia", and simply recall what its true nature
      is, before corruption.

      When this happens, trust comes naturally.

      In its own true light, spirit cannot find corruption, nothing divided
      that is absolutely real in itself. It can only find peace and direct
      wisdom.

      It is a matter of allowing the real looking upon the real. That is
      all. That is the miracle.

      Best regards

      Tozen
      ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
      Alan Row  LookforYourself
      (A discussion generated by Douglas Harding's article in latest TAT forum)
      The May issue of the TAT Forum is now online at www.tatfoundation.org/forum.htm
      Douglas's article comparing Ramana Maharshi and Krishnamurti can also be
      found in Look for Yourself,  a splendid collection of essays,  published by
      The Shollond Trust.  I read it first quite a time ago and felt that Douglas
      had been rather unfair to K by the selective quotation of only that side of
      K which emphasizes the psychological work one needs to do on oneself.  He
      seemed to want to make the point that Ramana could be said to belong to the
      'sudden' school and K to the 'gradual'.   But it is possible to find plenty
      of passages from K's talks which emphasize the need to see immediately.

      There is one very powerful talk of K's,  Saanen, July 23rd, 1964, which I
      read several years before discovering Douglas.  I remember the impact it
      made on me  -  the feeling of authenticity  -  and yet the seeming
      impossibility of doing what he said.

      The talk contains a few startling statements which would make quite a  lot
      of people I know sit up....''Whatever their origin, all theologies are
      immature, as are all philosophies''.........''Both the conscious and the
      unconscious mind are very trivial''.    But the main theme is that of
      'search'...

      ''Surely, all search implies a movement from the periphery to the centre,
      from the circumstances to the cause,  from the boundaries to the very origin
      of existence''...

      ''Now, is there a coming to the centre immediately, without this endless
      struggle to reach the centre, and from the centre, flowering?''...

      ''You must sometimes have asked yourself if there is not a possibility of
      coming suddenly, unexpectedly, to the original source, the very essence of
      things, and from there living, functioning, flowering, so that you need
      never read a single book, study any philosophy, worship any image or
      saviour, because wherever you  look there is that centre from which all
      action, all love, everything takes place''...

      ''....you suddenly come upon the well of life,  the original spring of all
      existence, and when once the mind has drunk at that fountain, it has lived
      and it lives from there forever''...

      ''I want to find out *immediately* what is true, and not wait a few seconds
      or until the day after tomorrow.   I want to be *there*.  I am too impatient
      to wait.   I have no use for time, for achieving something at the end of my
      life, or after ten thousand lives.......I want to be so awake that when I
      open my eyes, my heart, my mind, the truth is *there*,  and from there to
      function, to act, to live, to enjoy the beauties of the earth''...

      Douglas wouldn't quarrel with any of that, would he?    But he might say, as
      I felt, that K does not really *show* one this.   And K does seem to make it
      rather difficult by going on in this vein...

      ''Then the cloud in the sky,  the dust on the road,  the flower by the
      wayside and the whisper of your own thought, are all part of the whole.  But
      that wholeness can only be understood when the positive movement of the mind
      has completely ceased''...

      ''So you see for yourself that to come upon the centre, that original source
      of things, which is the supreme, all movement of the mind must come to an
      end''...

      This is where I part company from K.   I feel that any positive  movement of
      the mind *is* part of the whole.  Evidently K came upon the supreme when all
      movement of the mind came to an end, but I don't now feel this is
      necessary.  What is necessary is for a particular kind of thought to come to
      an end  -  the thought that creates a self-image and holds to it as the
      central reality.   Douglas's way shows this so clearly.

      Indeed it is true that ''a single showing is worth ten thousand words''.

      Love to all,

      Alan
      ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
      Chris Cheney  LookforYourself

      Yes, I think I understand what you are saying. The thinking part is
      also here now, yup. Yip, can't stay in the now, since you are already
      here, now, yup.

      Just ARE, yap. Simple, yipe, that's it.

      YES! YOU ARE HERE! NOW!

      With nothing extra, that's it.

      With 'something extra' there is also nothing extra, that is also it.

      THIS is it. (point both ways to See It.)

      Just a child's mind. Watch something, only that, but not rigid, it is
      appearing in this IT, which is empty (looking in), full looking out,
      (and they are not served up separately). Fullness and emptiness not same
      or different. All thinking dissolves in perception.

      Just See, just Hear. Just attention is necessary, analysis not really
      necessary. Very alive feeling maybe, like little kid. SURPRISE,
      SURPRISE, SURPRISE!!! Then time to eat. Taste, touch, hear, feel, see.
      Everything is present! World is wide awake here where you are what you
      are.

      All of these, Douglas, Krishnamurti, Christ etc. are pointing to you,
      this here, now no thing everything space. So no thing sharing everything
      happens.

      Love,
      Chris

      Janet Hierbach  LookforYourself

      "It matters not Who you love, Where you love, Why you love, When you love,
      Or how you love, It matters only that you love."

      --  John Lennon