#1420 - Saturday, May 3, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2003
      #1420 - Saturday, May 3, 2003 - Editor: Jerry

      George Carlin

      The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings, but
      shorter tempers; wider freeways, but narrower viewpoints. We spend more,
      but have less; we buy more, but enjoy less. We have bigger houses and
      smaller families; more conveniences, but less time. We have more degrees
      but less sense; more knowledge, but less judgment; more experts, yet more problems; more medicine, but less wellness.

      We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too
      little, drive too fast, get too angry, stay up too late, get up too
      tired, read too little, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom. We have
      multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values. We talk too much,
      love too seldom, and hate too often. We've learned how to make a living,
      but not a life. We've added years to life not life to years. We've been
      all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to
      meet a new neighbor. We conquered outer space but not inner space. We've done larger things, but not better things. We've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul. We've conquered the atom, but not our prejudice. We
      write more, but learn less.

      We plan more, but accomplish less. We've learned to rush, but not to
      wait. We build more computers to hold more information, to produce more
      copies than ever, but we communicate less and less. These are the times
      of fast foods and slow digestion, big men and small character, steep
      profits and shallow relationships. These are days of two incomes but more
      divorce, fancier houses, but broken homes. These are days of quick trips,
      disposable diapers, throw away morality, one night stands, overweight
      bodies, and pills that do everything from cheer, to quiet, to kill. It is
      a time when there is much in the showroom window and nothing in the
      stockroom. A time when technology can bring this letter to you, and a
      time when you can choose either to share this insight, or to just hit
      delete.

      Remember, spend some time with your loved ones, because they are not
      going to be around forever. Remember, say a kind word to someone who
      looks up to you in awe, because that little person soon will grow up and
      leave your side. Remember, to give a warm hug to the one next to you,
      because that is the only treasure you can give with your heart and it
      doesn't cost a cent. Remember, to say, "I love you" to your partner and
      your loved ones, but most of all mean it. A kiss and an embrace will mend
      hurt when it comes from deep inside of you. Remember to hold hands and
      cherish the moment for someday that person will not be there again. Give
      time to love, give time to speak, and give time to share the precious
      thoughts in your mind.

      Robertstheology
      Live Journal

      DRAGON POWER

      The wise man, then, when he must govern, knows how to do nothing. Letting things alone, he rests in his original nature. He who will govern will respect the governed no more than he respects himself. If he loves his own person enough to let it rest in its original truth, he will govern others without hurting them. Let him keep the deep drives in his own guts from going into action. Let him keep still; not looking, not hearing. Let him sit like a corpse, with the dragon power alive all around him. In complete silence, his voice will be like thunder; his movements will be invisible; like those of a spirit, but the powers of heaven will go with them. Unconcerned, doing nothing, he will see all things grow ripe around him. Where will he find time to govern?"
      -Chuang Tse

      Wildgarden
      Live Journal

      Today was a day off and tomorrow will be the same. After tea and yoga and Jon leaving for work I went back to bed and slept deeply for a few more hours. Spent time in the garden, pulled a few weeds and tried to pollinate some of the tomatos that are not setting by brushing the flowers all over with a blade of grass, and shaking the plants. I relaxed in a lounge chair under the old live oak tree and looked at the branches stirring in the breeze, and listening to the bees.

      I thought, "This is my life, these bees, this tree."

      Later in the kitchen chopped and cooked a mango chutney and vegetarian curry and fluffy basmati rice.
      And that is where I am now, waiting for Jon and Sam to return and share the food.

      Cee
      Live Journal

      ART
      "
      used to make a lot of art
      painted myself into a corner!
      *
      the highest art -
      discovering there is no artist
      "
      ------------------

      *
      throw in the towel
      *
      give up the ghost
      *
      abandon the persona
      *
      die while alive
      *
      --------------------

      *
      utter complete peace
      AND (equals)
      extreme awareness
      *
      exactly aware of every minute detail AS oneself
      every cell pulsing with life into (as) every other cell
      subject is object
      environment IS oneself
      no difference anywhere
      who hears this silence?
      who can fathom this profound joy?

      *
      utter complete peace
      AND (equals)
      extreme awareness
      *

      Michael Read
      The Way Station

      waxing

      another morning - adrift in time
      nothing shall preserve this life
      and it is nothing that will take this life

      the smallest of things and the least of dreams
      are the greatest of dreams and the most of it is dreaming
      dreams are schemes of hopes and fears while moments fall into years

      with your hair in the sky - combed across with eagle hawk crow and vulture
      you blow kisses from the peaks - kisses of snow and rain and pine
      on your breast  the mountains play - of lion and deer and bear
      your fertile belly the valley below - farms ranches towns and homes
      your arms and legs are rivers - that drink the corn wheat alfalfa and beans and squash
      and in the deep canyon holds your mysterious love hole - where i am born

      s~Z
      NDS

      They've damned up the river in my town but one day as I was driving around,
      from a distance I thought I saw water flowing rapidly between its banks. I
      raced home, grabbed my camera, and drove over closer to take a photo only to
      discover it was an illusion created by some tarps in the strawberry fields.
      There is no river
      Snaking sunlit to the sea
      Watch the river flow

      Posted on Sat, May. 03, 2003

      'Beat' goes on for local couple in their new downtown museum
      Monterey shop features literature, art and trinkets of Beat generation
      By DAN LAIDMAN
      dlaidman@...

      When Jerry Cimino and his wife had a bookshop in Monterey with a special Beat Generation section, tourists used to come in all the time asking about Jack Kerouac's book "Big Sur."

      If they were new to the author, Cimino steered them away.

      "I'd say don't read that one as your first Kerouac book," he said. "It chronicled his nervous breakdown."

      Seven years after the Monterey Bay Coffeehouse Bookstore shut its doors on Alvarado street, the Ciminos are back with a new venture in downtown Monterey. And this one allows the Beat literature aficionados to be full-time Kerouac counselors.

      The Beat Museum opens this week in a storefront at 211 W. Franklin St. It is a hybrid shop-museum that features Beat trinkets and art on the walls for the public's perusal. Cimino says he has been talking to contacts in the Beat community about bringing in more artifacts and possibly some guest speakers.

      Meanwhile, the shop, which keeps museum hours of noon to 4 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday, sells work by authors like Kerouac, Allen Ginsberg, William S. Burroughs, Gregory Corso, Lawrence Ferlinghetti and Gary Snyder, as well as t-shirts, videos and CDs related to the Beat movement.

      But Cimino says he isn't just cashing in on the counterculture.

      "We don't see this as a business," he said. "We see it as a way of spreading the word."

      Cimino, 49, still works as a corporate salesman. His wife, Estelle, runs her career counseling business from an office behind the Beat Museum.

      So the museum is a hobby, he said, that is about spreading the couple's love of Beat writers. And having a place to store all their stuff.

      Cimino's personal collection of Beat artifacts sits in boxes at the store, ready to become the museum collection. It includes a Playboy magazine from 1959 with a Kerouac essay titled, "Origins of the Beat Generation," a screenplay adaptation of "On the Road," a black and white photograph of Kerouac's daughter, and an original newspaper obituary of the author from 1969.

      Baltimore native Cimino traces his love of Beat authors to the eighth grade, when a teacher brought his class mimeographed copies of Ferlinghetti's book, "A Coney Island of the Mind." Cimino was raised Catholic and was "blown away" by Ferlinghetti's free verse account of the crucifixion.

      Later he discovered Kerouac, who became his favorite writer. He particularly likes the novel "Desolation Angels."

      "It's got the energy and drive of 'On the Road' and the spirituality of 'Dharma Bums,'" Cimino said. "To me Kerouac was all about spirituality."

      Cimino first read about Big Sur in Kerouac's works, and he and his wife were driven to visit the area because of the author's lyrical descriptions. They were taken enough to move west, and they settled in Monterey a dozen years ago after living in the Bay Area. The couple opened the Monterey Bay Coffeehouse Bookshop in 1991, and when enough tourists asked if they could buy Beat literature by mail, they started a catalog. In 1994 they got the phone number (800) KER-OUAC for their mail-order business, and the next year they registered www.kerouac.com.

      The bookstore closed amid money troubles in 1996, but the couple kept the mail-order business. They also kept in touch with the Beat figures they met through the store and through their attendance at conferences and readings.

      Now, with the museum, the Ciminos are calling on those contacts to acquire exhibit material. Cimino hopes to bring the "On the Road Scroll" to Monterey. The 120-foot scroll on which Kerouac is said to have composed his most famous novel sold at auction in 2001 for more than $2 million.

      Cimino said the goal of the museum is to spread the spirituality that drew him to Kerouac's work. The author's philosophy is all about engaging life, he said, and finding holiness in everyday things. Monterey is the perfect place for such a shrine, Cimino said.

      "I consider this a power center," he said. "You can feel it emanating from the earth, from the ocean. Did Kerouac buy into it? Absolutely."

      Dan Laidman can be reached at 646-4346.

      © 2003 Monterey County Herald and wire service sources. All Rights Reserved.
      http://www.montereyherald.com

      Nisargadatta
      Excerpts from I Am That (with page numbers)

      The mind is discontinuous. Again and again it blanks out, like in sleep or swoon or distraction. There must be something continuous to register discontinuity. Memory is always partial, unreliable and > evanescent. It does not explain the strong sense of identity pervading consciousness, the sense "I am". Find out what is at the root of it. (307)

      You cannot be conscious of what does not change. All consciousness is consciousness of change. But the very perception of change - does it not necessitate a changeless background? (516)

      Changes are inevitable in the changeful, but you are not subject to them. You are the changeless background, against which changes are perceived. (333)