Highlights for Thursday Oct 21

  • andrew macnab
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 22, 1999

      Can it last forever?

      *It* is forever.
      As we awaken
      from our dreams of the temporary
      there we are as we always were
      Silent and whole and love.

      It's now
      or never

      Surrender to what?

      surrender past and future to this Moment
      surrender identity to boundless Heart
      surrender ideas to Unknowing

      surrender struggle to Effortlessness
      surrender all my small stuff to Vastness
      surrender doing to Being

      now now now now now now now now now

      surrender everything I think is going to One

      Can't speak for others but thirty odd years ago plus I
      surrender to "what is".......just gave up desire, with
      the barrel touching the temple, and I guess it's fair
      to say "all heaven broke loose".(S) and (G)

      A must have book, great little stocking stuffer, hot off the presses,
      by my very dear friend Timothy Schoorel in Amsterdam.
      "The 7 Principles of Freedom, Handbook for a New Humanity"

      The last paragraph of his book reads. I quote " Being enlightened does
      not mean that you cannot be hurt or disappointed, or that all problems
      have magically disappeared from life. Life always has its own problems,
      even if you know that all is well. However, enlightenment does mean that
      heart is free of conflict. The question is not how to be without
      problems, or how to never be hurt. The question that matters,
      is whether your heart is free!"

      Beyond self or world, I am. Beyond mind or body, I am.

      Sir, how did you come to know of this. When did it happen. How has your
      vision changed. Can you share, if it is not too personal.

      The "personal self" went through quite a lot before it lost everything
      it thought it stood on. But the vision doesn't belong to that self. The
      vision is only "Itself". It is One, of One, and Itself never came into
      being or went out of being. My "personal" vision changed
      when I realized I didn't have to anticipate anything, could *be* "one
      moment at a time". All simply is as it is. This One Moment simply
      *is*. So I came to know of it *now* -- this moment. It happened *now*.
      What happened was "this," or "myself". There is nothing that needs to
      change or be changed. -- with love --

      Dan: my intention is to wish you Truth, only Truth, always Truth --
      being in Truth and nothing but the Truth (so help me God) -- with love

      Welcome to the Cloud of Unknowing. Enter and lose distinctions.
      Lose distinctions and then lose your awareness of losing distinctions.
      Lose the loss of distinctions and then "return" to friends, family,
      colleagues - your responses will fit in perfectly - no self-conscious
      "detachment" - simple responses to each situation - a perfect "fit"
      with the situation. Karma being played out is no-karma when seen
      from the Cloud of Unknowing... -- with love --

      What is the problem? What is the very heart seed of the problem? The
      Buddha said the problem is desire, but it seems to me that the problem
      is faulty responses to various and sundry cues. But fine tuning one's
      response system isn't exactly an attainment worthy of the ancient
      rishis. So what really is the problem?

      Perhaps the belief that there is a problem? :-)

      who is seeing what problem?

      The problem, at its heart is the desire "to have" and the
      associated anxiety about loss...
      faulty responses to cues are the result of the
      interposed "one who reacts" - that self which is built
      of associations about what is desired, what one
      has and can have, what one has lost, fears losing, and
      is likely to lose in the future...

      The problem is false identity.
      What you assume to be You is a collection
      of ideas, memories, expectations, desires,
      a veil over the reality of you which is undefinable,
      unboundaried and eternal.

      The truth of you is found only in the present
      moment, in the Silence between, beyond and
      beneath your thoughts.

      The problem is the socially conditioned assumption that our original and
      aways heartbreak is bad.

      If we allow ourselves to realize the nature of our original condition,
      that it is not bad, then there is no problem.

      The socially conditioned assumption that our original condition, one of
      longing, of heartbreak, is a bad thing and is a suffering that indicates
      that we are incomplete, has spawned a multitude of 'saviours'. Some of
      these 'saviours' are ideas, some are reputed to be people. These
      'saviours' are very tempting, for one who assumes that heartbreak is a
      problem. Eventually, however, each seeker realizes that they cannot be
      'saved' by any of these saviors. At that point, the real struggle may
      actually occur; the struggle to come to grips with reality, naked
      reality, which is our original condition.

      Buddha said that suffering is caused by 'dukkha'. Dukkha is defined as
      'the assumption of incompleteness'. It is our assumption that we are
      incomplete, which causes us to thus assume that our experience is one of
      suffering. In our assumed suffering, we seek wholeness. By such seeking,
      we suffer.

      If we can stop for a while and examine our original condition, we can
      see that we have concluded in error (with a lot of help, from our
      cultures) that we are actually suffering. We suffer from lack of
      understanding and nothing else. And our main misunderstanding is our
      _assumption of incompleteness_, or as Buddha called it, "dukkha".

      To remove dukkha, is to surrender to our original condition, which is an
      attraction; It is not a neutrality.

      This is why so many 'realizers' proclaim their 'love of G-d' as their
      ultimate statement of reality.

      It may be hard to realize this simple thing. Attraction does not imply
      lack; instead, it implies the completeness of our given relationship
      with G-d.

      The desires of a 'profane one' are those desires which ignore the
      wholeness of our given condition; it is those desires which are
      indicative of the ignorance which results from the 'dukkha'.

      Assuming wholeness is permitted at any time; to do so will remove one
      from the arena of insufficiency which is the common human drama.
      Typically, humans derive their only identity from this common human
      drama; to do so is to also initiate a search for what we already have,
      which is this gift of Being.

      To allow wholeness is to allow the falling-away of what was taken up in
      compensation for assumptions of 'unwholeness'. Thus denuded of the
      clothing of shame, the underlying pride also disappears.

      In summary, what is wrong, is our assumption that something is wrong.

      ...Xan stated ...that 'some things do not fit neatly into packages of
      understanding'. Maybe we could tolerate a little messyness, to unwrap a
      of those packages, and see what they might contain? I can handle that. I
      not always need *precise* and *clean* allusion, to appreciate the
      or thrust of the writer. If what is going on with this is to have to
      the adherance to a 'party line', then I may have to start a new party.
      Messy is Okay with me. Call me an infidel.

      My heart has been completely and totally broken,
      along with some others here too that know that
      to be the case.

      Some of you still fight it, but I tell you true,
      it's a losing game. You will never win.

      Love is a losing affair.
      Everybody already knows that at heart.
      That's what this is all about - heart.

      So nobody is kidding anybody here, doesn't
      matter how much anybody knows.

      Like I have said before, what else can we really
      expect except happiness itself??

      That's it. If you think there's something else in it
      for you, you're gonna be disappointed.

      Thank you, sister. This is SO true. Absolutely true.

      That which you refer to, is indeed all that there is. That is not just
      the bottom line, it is the line over which nothing else may pass, not
      matter how alluring and glorious anything else may seem.

      So I hear you saying that it is good to surrender to this, at once.
      Like, there is no good to negotiate, to bargain, to propose a wonderful
      thing which then somehow would be allowed to pass. Yes, this I agree
      with, totally.

      You call it 'happiness'. That will serve for me.

      In my own experience, the vaunted goals which the
      seeker/sufferer/attainer/overcomer sees as worthy, are indeed worthy in
      the context of the experience of the seeker. But at base, it comes down
      to what you say. I appear naked, without accessories, at the gates of
      the infinite, and that is all. My heartbreak is my happiness. Everything
      else is ultimately chaff, blown away in the wind.

      This seems to be hard to understand. I did not understand it for years.
      It always seemed that I was required to acquire something, some kind of
      key to something. What seems to be hard to understand is that the 'key'
      is letting go of all keys; I am the key, you are the key, it is Being
      which is the key, thus it can be said that I have always had the key.
      And I know deeply, that I have always had heartbreak; it is what I
      called suffering, for so many years. _It is the misapprehension_ of
      heartbreak, that allows it to be commonly defined as suffering. Is this
      what you mean here?

      If I understand that I always have heartbreak, that all of these fine
      toys are mine for a while only, that I only create real suffering by my
      trying to make anything 'good' of these goodies, if I allow attachment
      to this treasure of apparent life on Urth, that I miss the actual gift,
      which is happiness? That by assuming that my _original_ heartbreak is
      bad, that by then seeking what is good, that I in my frantic search,
      simply succeed in acquiring what is 'bad', and that is exactly what I
      must give up in order to find myself as that which is? That I accumulate
      what I do not need, thinking that I need it?

      Thank you, Judi, for your constancy in presenting this basic, most
      basic, of realities to us, over and over again. Yes.

      Happy and heartbroken,

      Living in love,

      ==Gene Poole==

      PS: Life on Urth IS a treasure. It is a great gift. I relish every
      I am a hedonist. I simply point to 'who' is getting this gift. I do not
      need to reject the gift, to assume that I am real. I can have it all!
      And I

      Thanks again.

      Broken heart
      breaking open
      cracking here
      crumbling there

      Blowing through
      my pure essence
      a hurricane
      a breeze
      twirling leaves

      blown away
      into unanticipated

      This is a question for the Masters.
      How to go about life in which we are expected to play roles
      and wear masks and yet remain true to ourselves?

      The Masters say, "Remember that the
      roles and masks don't mean anything at all."

      I remember something from Jesus in
      the New Testament that said something like,
      "Wear your role in the world like a loose cloak."

      Jerry posted:

      The Pathway of Nonduality

      by Raphael

      Chapter 6

      Metaphysical Realization (concluded)

      And Samkara comments: "Asparsa is the yoga without sparsa:
      contact or connection with anything at all; it is of the
      very nature of Brahman [Absolute]. Those who know Brahman
      call it by this name; in other words Asparsa-Yoga is that
      which is free from all relation. It becomes a blessing for
      all beings.... We can say that the enjoyment of any
      particular type of object may bring happiness, but not
      constant well-being [we stated above that the happiness of
      the empirical ego is always contingent and fleeting because
      it is based on external factors]; this yoga, instead, brings
      blessings and at the same time stable well-being, because
      its nature is beyond the non-permanent. Besides it is devoid
      of opposition. Why? Because it is devoid of contradictions
      [individuality is based on opposition because it expresses
      itself upon the ego/non-ego plane].... The idea is that this
      truth can only be realized as consequence of an impetus the
      crowning of which is awareness of the atman as sole
      Reality.... The non-discriminating fear, while practising
      this yoga, is the extinction of their individuality,
      although (asparsa) is beyond all fear.

      Those who believe the mind and the sense organs to be the
      snake superimposed on the rope, therefore having no reality
      independent of Brahman, identify with Brahman without fear,
      enjoying in a natural way that eternal peace called
      emancipation, which depends on no other factor."

      Those who think that the psychological or empirical ego is
      their true reality undoubtedly fear metaphysical realization
      because they beleive they will extinguish, annhihilate and
      lose themselves. And wanting at all costs to avoid the death
      of their ego -- which is in any case perishable -- they
      invent philosophies and sciences to support and satisfy
      their insecurity and incompletelness.

      This philosophical vision is typical of the present day
      where the mirage and illusion of the 'golden calf' appears
      as the solution to the 'well being' of the ego.

      Q. So Asparsa realization has no other aim than to actuate
      oneself in metaphysical Unity?

      A. The dualist philosophy cannot lead to the realization of
      metaphysical Unity. At most it can achieve a mathematical
      unity which implies duality and which is not the Absolute.

      On the contrary, true metaphysical realization implies
      actuating our most profound nature which is Non-duality.
      Now, our true nature (not that illusory 'second nature'
      represented by our empirical ego) is achieved by an act of
      Knowledge and of Identity.

      To disclose our true nature we do not need any particular
      physical or mental 'exercise', though they may be used at
      the preparatory stages, but we have to eliminate the
      qualitative superimpositions that have been projected upon
      the Self-Being.

      Q. Is metaphysical realization a question of knowledge,

      A. This question helps to clarify further the concept of
      'actuation' or of 'potentiality' and 'act'.

      Metaphysical Unity is pure actuation and excludes all
      passages from potentiality to act: to speak of the eternally
      present and infinite Being in terms of even theoretical
      phases is impossible. The Ever Present has no history, it
      has no actuation, it has no movement because it has no
      generation (ajati). Metaphysical realization, rather than a
      question of actuation-realization as presented above, is an
      act of immediate knowledge and awareness, because pure Being
      is not attained by steps or through supports, nor can pure
      Being be grasped in the process of actuation.

      If we fail to understand, though, through intellection, what
      we are and what we are not we shall always remain in the
      sphere of sensory perception and of subject-object

      Q. However, many kinds of yoga and religious doctrines adopt
      empirical media rather than Knowledge.

      A. Most people, by means of empirical media, 'actuate'
      samadhis which imply simple experimentation of individual
      states of consciousness, states outside of the dense and
      gross sphere.

      Individuality is not confined to the corporeal state, but
      extends also into the subtle, though substantial, one.
      However, in the subtle
      even in the causal state (the three levels of existential
      manifestation) we are not in the realm of the Absolute or in
      the metaphysical sphere.

      Pure Being is attained through Being, through a
      consciousness awakening which resolves itself in Identity or
      in being Being.