#1410 - Thursday, April 24, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 26, 2003
      #1411 - Thursday, April 24, 2003 - Editor: Jerry

      Vicki Woodyard
      NDS

      A Mind Full Of Light

      A drop of water has the tastes of the water of the seven seas:
      there is no need to experience all the ways of worldly life. The
      reflections of the moon on one thousand rivers are from the same moon: the
      mind must be full of light.

                      Hung Tzu-ch'eng (1593-1665)

      How do you get a mind full of light?  That is an intriguing question.  Like a
      dipper of cold water, a mind full of light would be soothing to the parched
      soul.  Enlightenment must equal that.

      But wait a minute--hang on a sec; there is no mind.  It has been said, however;
      that when the mind is still it can reflect the Self.  That is why we sit in
      meditation, pray, do zazen, whirl, and so forth.  We want what we haven't
      got--a mind full of light.

      I am not such a good student of zen koans.  To me the sound of one hand
      clapping is pretty clear.  A dog has buddha nature and you can't put a head on
      top of a head, but I am getting off-topic. I see that someone has put up a sign
      saying, "Mind has just been mopped.  Stay off of it."  Okay, okay.

      Right now I am in the school cafeteria of life and as usual I have put more on
      my tray than I can eat.  First I grabbed dessert....lemon icebox pie.  Then I saw
      clear red cubes of jello and grabbed that too.  Next came fried chicken and
      mashed potatoes and green beans...gotta have a yeast roll and a cup of coffee.
      That'll be....how much?!

      I sat down with some other students and saw that they had done the same
      thing.  Bitten off more than they could chew.  Karma, predestination, free will,
      nonduality--all look pretty tasty until you start to consume your attachments.
      Belly ache, get the Pepto.  Call the witch doctor....where's a good shaman when
      you need her?

      I had completely forgotten that I wanted a mind full of light....an empty tray
      sitting serenely, reflecting light from the overhead flourescent bulb.  I come
      to myself....hear dishes banging, silverware clanking and water running.  I just
      sit and take it all in.  So that's how I get a mind full of light.  Neat.

      Vicki Woodyard
      http://www.bobwoodyard.com

      The following few quotes are from http://www.escapefromwatchtower.com/

      ANNE FRANK

      "I don't think of all the misery, but of the beauty that still remains. This is one of the things that Mummy and I are so entirely different about. Her counsel when one feels melancholy is: 'Think of all the misery in the world and be thankful you are not sharing in it!' My advise is: 'Go outside, to the fields, enjoy nature and the sunshine, go out and try to recapture happiness in yourself and in God. Think of all the beauty that's still left in and around you and be happy!' I don't see how Mummy's idea can be right, because then how are you supposed to behave if you go through the misery yourself? Then you are lost. On the contrary, I've found that there is always some beauty in life - in nature, sunshine, freedom, in yourself: these can all help you. Look at these things, then you find yourself again, and God, and then you regain your balance." - ANNE FRANK - The Diary of a Young Girl, p. 153

      "The unconscious is always one step ahead of the conscious mind, & it is therefore impossible ever to know that you are doing the right thing (since knowing is a function of consciousness. However, if your will is steadfastly to the good, and if you are willing to suffer fully when the good is ambiguous, your unconscious will always be one step ahead of your conscious mind in the right direction. In other words, you will do the right thing even though you will not have the consolation of knowing at the time that it is the right thing.
      M. SCOTT PECK

      "The true value of a human being can be found in the degree to which he has attained liberation from the self."

      ALBERT EINSTEIN

      "I never came upon any of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."

      Daily Dharma

      "Because they challenge us to the limits of our open-mindedness,
      difficult relationships are in many ways the most valuable for
      practice.  The people who irritate us are the ones who
      inevitably blow our cover.  Through them we might come to
      see our defenses very clearly.  Shantideva explained it like this:  If we
      wish to practice generosity and a beggar arrives, that's good news.  The
      beggar gives us an opportunity to learn how to give.  Likewise, if we want
      to practice patience and unconditional loving-kindness and an enemy
      arrives, we are in luck.  Without the ones who irritate us,
      we never have a chance to practice."

      ~Pema Chodron

      Lobster
      Nasrudin

      Nasrudin was once found sitting
      at a deserted cross roads.
      A passerby asked him what he was doing.
      "Oh", said Nasrudin, "directing the traffic."
      "But Friend there is no one here?"
      "Indeed," said Hodja, "I directed everyone elsewhere."