Friday, April 18, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 19, 2003

      #1405 - Good Friday, April 18, 2003 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      DANCE FOR JOY

      He is the Way.
      Follow Him through the Land of Unlikeness;
      You will see rare beasts, and have unique adventures.

      He is the Truth.
      Seek Him in the Kingdom of Anxiety;
      You will come to a great city that has expected your return for years.

      He is the Life.
      Love Him in the World of the Flesh;
      And at your marriage all its occasions shall dance for joy.

      -- W. H. Auden in "For the Time Being"

      Marc Chagall
      (1887-1985) Français d'origine russe
      La Crucifixion blanche
      Art Institute, Chicago

      ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~
       Carolyn Rong  Spiritual Friends

      "I was not aware of the moment when I first crossed the threshold of this life.  What
      was the power that made me open out into this vast mystery like a bud in the forest
      at midnight!  When in the morning I looked upon the light I felt in a moment that I
      was no stranger in this world, that the inscrutable without name and form had taken
      me in its arms in the form of my own mother.  Even so, in death the same unknown will
      appear as ever known to me. And because I love this life, I know I shall love death as
      well. " ~from gitanjali~

      ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~
      Jan Sultan  SufiMystic

      Cuckoo's Song of Total Presence

      The nature of multiplicity is non-dual
      And things in themselves are pure and simple;

      Being here and now is thought-free
      And it shines out in all forms, always all good;

      It is already perfect! the disease of uptight striving expunged,
      Spontaneity is as it is.

      http://www.gileht.com/Dzogchen/

      ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~

      "Ripples" photo by Al Larus

      ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~
      Terry Murphy  SufiMystic

      Bhagavad Gita
      CHAPTER XIV
      Gunatrayavibhaga-Yoga,
      The Yoga of the Distinction of the Three Gunas

      Arjuna said:
      What are the characteristics of those
      Who have transcended the three Gunas,
      And what is their conduct?
      How does one transcend these three Gunas, O Lord Krishna?

      Krishna said:
      One who neither hates the presence of
      Enlightenment, activity, and delusion
      Nor desires for them when they are absent; and

      The one who remains like a witness;
      Who is not moved by the Gunas, Thinking that the Gunas only are operating;
      Who stands firm and does not waver;

      (verses 21, 22, 23)

      ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~
      Viorica Weissman  MillionPaths

      Mr. P. Brunton, while reading Upadesa Manjari, came across the
      statement that the ego, the world, and God are all unreal. He desired to
      use a different word for God or at least a qualifying adjective, e..g., the
      Creative Force or personal God. Sri Bhagavan explained that God
      means Samashti, i.e., all that is plus the Being in the same way that "I"
      means the individual plus the Be-ing, and the "world" means the variety
      plus Being. The Being is in all cases real. The all, the variety and the
      individual is in each case unreal. So also in the union of the real and
      the unreal, the mixing up or the false identification is wrong.

      It amounts to saying sad-asad-vilakshana, i.e., transcending the real
      and the unreal — sat and asat. Reality is that which transcends all
      concepts, including that of God. Inasmuch as the name of God is used,
      it cannot be true. The Hebrew word Jehovah (I Am) expresses God
      correctly. Absolute Being is beyond expression. The word cannot be
      replaced nor need it be replaced.

      The Englishman casually said that in prehistoric ages there was
      spirituality but not high intellect, whereas intellect has now developed.
      Sri Bhagavan pointed out that "intellect" raises the question "whose
      intellect?" The answer is, "the Self." So intellect is a tool of the Self.
      The Self uses intellect for measuring variety. Intellect is not the Self nor
      apart from the Self. The Self alone is eternal. Intellect is only a
      phenomenon. People speak of the development of variety as being the
      development of intellect. Intellect was always there. Dhata yatha
      parvam akalpayat
      (The Creator created just as before). Consider your
      own state, day by day. There is no intellect in dreamless deep sleep.
      But it is there now. There is no intellect in a child. It develops with age.
      How could there be manifestation of intellect without its seed in the
      sleep state and in the child? Why go to history to teach this
      fundamental fact? The level of truth of history is only the level of truth of
      the individual.

      ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~
      Daily Dharma

      THE CROSS OF JOY

      "Take up My Cross a little bit today. I promise it won't weigh
      too much. Know I love  you and let's laugh together.

      Only those who take their own suffering so seriously really
      believe I was suffering.  As I stumbled up the hill, only peace
      prevailed. There was no cross, no nails, no lance,  only JOY!

      I try to tell them but they do not listen. They want an excuse
      for their own crosses  so they invent mine, they honor mine.
      My crucifixion was a time of expectancy, a much  awaited
      birth was due. I was going Home as you often wish to do.

      There was no pain.
      Who has pain?
      Not thee who was never born.
      Wipe my brow.
      Pick up the end of the
      dragging wood,
      and let's be together -
      to play."

      From personal notes
      ~~~~~
      El Greco (Dhominikos Theotokopoulos)
      (1541 - 1614) Espagnol
      Le Christ portant sa Croix
      Musée du Prado, Madrid

      ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~
      A Net of Jewels

      Ramesh S. Balsekar
      http://www.advaita.org

      The guru who helps you escape from sorrow by prescribing procedures and
      methods is not an enlightened guru.  A true sage requires that you face your
      sorrow so thoroughly and intimately that it disappears in the very
      understanding of itself.

              ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~

      Gems from Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj's Conversations

      "Just keep in mind the feeling "I am," merge in it, until your mind and
      feeling become one.  By repeated attempts you will stumble on the right
      balance of attention and affection, and your mind will be firmly established
      in the thought-feeling "I am."  Whatever you think, say, or do, this sense
      of immutable and affectionate being remains as the ever-present background
      of the mind."

      ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~

      Hafizullah  SufiMystic

      The Sufis seek to experience all levels of the human being, not idealizing the
      Absolute nor being wholly enmeshed in the relative world, and all the planes in
      between.

      It is possible to live in a state of nonduality while simultaneously appreciating God in
      multiplicity. What distinguishes an advanced adept from the rest of us is that the
      ebb-and-flow of consciousness along the continuum between
      multiplicity-consciousness and unity-consciousness (and beyond) is not manipulated
      and there is a relative freedom from preference for any particular state, letting the
      locus of identity reside in whatever place is harmonious and co-emergent with the
      dynamic unfolding of reality.

      ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~

      Gill Eardley  Allspirit

      Penetrating Zen

      People who are sharp should have their feet on the ground, and need an iron spine,
      traveling through the world looking on everything as illusory, holding still and being
      the master, not following human sentiments, cutting through discrimination between
      others and self, and getting rid of intellectual interpretations of Zen.

      Then, when it comes to practical function, responding to conditions, they don't fall
      into clichés. Developing single-minded persistence, keeping profound calm, lightening
      body and mind, while in the midst of the toil of the world they penetrate through to
      freedom.

      -Zen Master Yuanwu
      'Zen Essence' Translated and Edited by Thomas Cleary

      ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~

      Zen Oleary  Exclusive to Highlights

      Breaths

      I can hear the breaths of
      wild water-spider orchids