NDS Digest - for Sunday, June 13

  • Melody
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 14, 1999
      Nondual Digest - June 13, 1999:

      To join the Nonduality Salon please go to
      <http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/nondualitysalon>

      Hi Everyone,

      As I scanned thru this digest just now, looking
      to see if I had a 'slip' hanging anywhere, I
      was struck by how short this one was.

      Sorry, if I got carried away with the
      scissors today.....I just got a new pair. :-)

      Bob says:

      "One" implies "two", etc. etc.

      Obviously there is neither existence nor non-existence; both are mere
      concepts constituting just another one of the infamous "pairs of
      opposites", all of which are transcended by the Truth (which I like to
      call "X", the unknown and unknowable).

      Dogs do not have Buddha-nature. The monk has no Buddha-nature. Chao-chou
      has no Buddha-nature. Tim has no Buddha-nature. Phil has no
      Buddha-nature. Gautama has no Buddha-nature. Buddha-nature has no
      Buddha-nature.

      The operative word (if it's a correct translation) is "has". Being is
      all-sufficient and "has" nothing and needs nothing other than simply Being.
      "Having Buddha-nature" is like saying clouds have a "nature" in addition to
      simply being clouds. "Having a nature" is simply an abstract way of
      parsing out a state of affairs. In the end, you lose whatever you "have".
      And that's the way it is.

      Mu.

      {+} Phil {-}
      a conversation between
      Andrew and Gene....

      Andrew:
      > > The scene becomes the scene only through the
      > > viewer, and the viewer is made the viewer by the scene.

      Gene:
      > Yes. I hope that this fact is not skipped over as
      a mere 'new aphorism' to > read once and forget.

      <snip...already 'digested' material>

      Andrew:
      The statement is forgotten, it is restated in
      other words, until a formulation of words is found
      that sticks. It has been stated and restated throughout history, and will
      continue to be restated, no doubt. Eventually, the individual stops and
      stays with the
      fact. Because the time has come, or because the right formulation of words
      has been found (the right spell).
      ________________

      Gene:
      As you say, as long as one is bound, all are bound. This
      is literally true. That is why it is so important to give attention to the
      _process_ of unbinding.

      Andrew:
      It's there all along, a matter of sitting still. Being the absolute is not
      something that can be avoided or gained or lost. The sitting still must be
      fierce, intense, charged with intent and urgency, this is another reason
      for the dramatic stories. My own major fault for a long time in my attempts
      at sitting was that I was too gentle, quiet, relaxed, too much
      concentrated on Tathagata's serene bliss as a model. Now I have learned to
      charge my sitting, and not just sitting, but all the activity of my life
      with energy, spirit, like a Nio (warrior guardian)or like Fudo
      (wrathful buddha) with his sword and lassoo, to capture and kill delusion
      and throw it into the fire. Now, after I sit meditating, my brain feels
      exercised, like after
      an intense game of chess for example. Stillness has intensity, it roars.
      ____________

      Gene:
      >Neti-neti and ruling out must be done. The point is,
      >to do that practice to _clear space_, not to add a >hurricane to that
      space which is consciousness.
      >This is why gentleness must be learned and exercised,
      >at least in regard to oneself. Getting extreme or rough >with oneself,
      leads only to more and more
      >violent and self-punishing movements in that space. >Having compassion for
      oneself, one learns that in dealing >with oneself, one may create peace and
      space in ones own >life. It is that space which is the workshop of the
      >conscious self.

      Andrew:
      Not extreme or rough in the sense of self punishing, but there must be a
      feeling of
      creativity, excitement, intense probing inquiry. To use the wind analogy,
      the fire
      needs a good supply of oxygen so it will burn bright and clear. Not a
      hurricane, but
      good steady breath.

      Gene:
      > Indeed... the judge is the Unicorn. And to insure that my 'Unicorn'
      > metaphor does not lose potency, I will mention that we are speaking of
      > actual, real Unicorns here, not some vague and mushy idea of Unicorns.

      Andrew:
      Absolutely real, and full of the desire to live, but willing to give itself
      to be
      consumed, knowing that
      that is the way to live.

      andrew

      > Dear List,
      >
      > I'm confused by the intimations some have made that there is neither
      > subject nor object. It seems to me that there is only eternal Subject
      > (Self), and that there can be Subject without there being a corresponding
      > object (why not?). Is my viewpoint "wrong," or simply "incomplete?"
      >
      > In Sadhana,
      >
      > Tim

      In order to prevent the mind from using all kinds of clever tricks to
      conceive there is some kind of "reference", it is said that anything that
      belongs to a pair of opposites, can't be Truth. When saying there is a
      subject, this can only be valid if there is a subject-object relationship.
      Otherwise, why use the term subject? Even silence doesn't escape from this
      tool; the opposite of silence is sound. Life and death are opposites as
      well; while the body is alive one could say to be the Subject; when the link
      with the body is broken, a Subject without objects no longer makes sense.
      The point is, Truth cannot be captured in words. Humans are thinking in
      words; language depends on impressions in memory, made "somewhere in the
      past". So the saying "one's real nature is free from the pairs of opposites"
      indicates "It" is beyond the reasoning mind, senses, feelings and
      experiences like life and death.

      Jan

      i think we should be able to buy food with sand dollars. then maybe
      everyone would rush to the beach and learn something from its immensity and
      seeming limitlessness.

      at the boardwalk,
      love and light,
      zero

      Lately, the primary desire for 'me' has been simply "To Be," to sense pure
      being and nothing more. A most positive sign, if Nisargadatta is correct.
      Grace has not yet deigned to open the doors to moksha as yet, but
      everything is set up for the 'occurrence'.

      Thanks to all (who answered wordlessly),

      Tim

      offered by Glo:

      The Unicorn in Captivity

      (After the tapestry in The Cloisters)

      Here sits the Unicorn

      In captivity;

      His bright invulnerability

      Captive at last;

      The chase long past,

      Winded and spent,

      By the king's spears rent;

      Collared and tied

      To a pomegranate tree-

      Here sits the Unicorn In captivity,

      Yet free.

      Here sits the Unicorn;

      His overtakelessness

      Bound by a circle small

      As a maid's embrace;

      ( 6 middle verses excerpted.)

      Quiet, the Unicorn,

      In contemplation stilled,

      With acceptance filled;

      Quiet, save for his horn;

      Alive in his horn;

      Horizontally,

      In captivity;

      Perpendicularly,

      Free.

      As prisoners might,

      Looking on high at night,

      From day-close discipline

      Of walls and bars,

      To night-free infinity

      Of sky and stars,

      Find here felicity:

      So is he free -

      The Unicorn.

      What is liberty?

      Here lives the Unicorn,

      In captivity,

      Free.

      First and last verses of a poem by Anne Lindbergh