Friday, April 11, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 12, 2003

      Consciousness has produced this play.
      Consciousness has written the script.
      Consciousness is playing all the characters.
      And Consciousness is witnessing the play.
      It's a one man show.

      - Ramesh S. Balsekar
      by XAN on MillionPaths

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Issue #1399 - Friday, April 11, 2003 - Editor: Gloria Lee
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Zen Oleary SufiMystic

      Chopin Summer

      The summer of endless Chopin
      is the summer I spent with
      my father as he lay dying,
      he played piano, Chopin mostly,
      though he couldn't any longer so
      we played his collection of CD's,
      they filtered the air we breathed,
      became the soundtrack of our days,

      we lived those summer days mindfully,
      savored everything, the taste of a peach,
      the laughter of children streaming
      in the window, the bark of a dog,
      rain drumming on the porch's tin roof,

      we shared memories, snippets of our
      childhoods, of family members
      long gone, of my mother, also gone,
      our talk became music, melodies
      that erased old misunderstandings,
      and wrote new poems, new stories to
      sew together the diminishing now,

      we held every moment in our hands
      as gently as we would have a butterfly
      or a baby bird knowing that this
      moment was gifted to us, that their
      numbers were rapidly diminishing,
      I watched him fade like a leaf
      slowly turning brown,
      I was with him when he died.

      I realize now how light and
      wondrous those days were,
      how thick with awareness,
      with life, with caring, as if
      sculpted in fragrant rosewood,
      I have only to listen to Chopin
      to replay the summer soundtrack
      of those gifted last lived days,

      to hear my father's voice urging
      me to take nothing for granted,
      or carelessly step on garden paths
      my mind full of other things and miss
      the lavendar flowers scenting the air,
      I want this aching mindfulness to
      bloom in me and fill my soul.

      ~ Zen Oleary
      April 10,2003
      *  *  *  *  *

      EMAN8TIONS

      Contradiction and confusion is almost always a semantic thing.

      We use words ambiguously and so when we use a word two ways, thinking we are
      saying the same thing, it creates confusion.

      Or we substitute a word that really means the same thing, thinking we have
      made a distinction. We may say that we don't hate someone, we just dislike
      them. We are in the same general area of meaning but we may think it's
      alright to dislike someone as long as we don't hate them. Or we may hide it
      even further by saying that we prefer not to be in their company or that we
      just don't have time for them. But the damage is spiritually done by the
      fundamental fact of negative energy towards them. The rest is simply a
      semantic progression within the same general meaning.

      So we try to find words that make things sound good rather than actually
      doing the thing that would be truly healing. For instance, collateral damage
      actually means killing innocent people, but sounds much better.

      Spiritually we can go beyond words into a universe that is more direct, more
      beautiful, more loving than we could ever describe.

      In a sense, words don't have meaning. They point at things, ideas,
      experiences, refer to various realities. We have gotten into such a verbal
      habit that our reality often becomes the words themselves, rather than the
      reality they are pointing to. So we often change our words, not our reality.

      I try to go beyond the words. They will catch up to consciousness.

      But a verbal jungle can obscure our awareness of reality. That is how we are
      manipulated, distracted, and misled.

      To be truly conscious, go beyond the words into the silence within.

      Be content for it to be beyond description.

      Eman8tions
      Copyright © 2003  by John MacEnulty
      4/11/2003, St. Louis, MO
      *  *  *  *  *

      BOBBY G  HarshaSatsangh

      Hi:

      Today I went to my dentist.  She doing a lot of work for me in trade
      for artwork.  And there is a problem.  She lost a daughter two years
      ago, a child, and she is not recovering from it.  There is a brittle
      barrier between her and any event that may be a bridge to her
      memories of her lost child.  I, of course, must honor her reticence.
      The work I was to have traded her was to be a portrait of the little
      girl and also a portrait of her living daughter.

      She has already done a tremendous amount of good for me as I was ill
      from abcesses and neglect.  As a dentist she feels she hurts her
      patients too much.  When I filled a prescription, the pharmacist saw
      it and joked that she always apologizes to her patients for hurting
      them, which was true in my case, profusely so.

      It has been more than six months and I have not started on any work
      for her.  She cannot face it nor can her husband, a school teacher.

      I have been dwelling on a way to be a friend to her.

      I few years ago I read 'The Creative Mind' by Henri Bergson the Nobel
      laureate.  It is about metaphysics.  He also who wrote on time and
      duration.

      "Metaphysics, most generally, the philosophical investigation of the
      nature, constitution, and structure of reality.  It is broader in
      scope than science, e.g., physics...."  Panayot Butchvarov, Univ of
      Iowa  for the Cambridge Dictionary of Philosophy.

      In order to be called an entity or 'real', philosophy of metaphysics
      gives a list of criteria.  An entity must be either an individual
      thing, or a property, or a relation, or an event, or a state of
      affairs, or a set.  These categories are not complete but that is the
      idea.  All of these except the first has to do with people on the
      scene or it would not exist.

      I came away from Bergson with the idea that Physics describes
      phenomena without people and metaphysics describes phenomena with
      people on the scene.

      Beauty is a category of experience.  Everything is beautiful but
      sometimes we block that beauty.  The more we want to hurt ourselves
      the more we block the beauty.

      Beauty is real but dependent on  people and art must deal with beauty
      and its blockage.

      If the mind's fear of pain blocks the perception of the pain then the
      heart never has the chance to absorb it, and the mechanisms of life
      in the metaphysical sense, are eventually damaged.

      The heart is as big as the ocean.  The fear of pain is in the head.

      I left Dr. Ann with two paintings until she overcomes her fear that
      she will be consumed by pain and I can paint her lost treasure.

      People are so lovely.

      Love,
      Bobby G.
      *  *  *  *  *

      GILL EARDLEY  Allspirit

           In our souls everything
      moves guided by a mysterious hand.
      We know nothing of our own souls
      that are ununderstandable and say nothing.

          The deepest words
      of the wise man teach us
      the same as the whistle of the wind when it blows
      or the sound of the water when it is flowing.

      ~Antonio Machado

      Quoted in 'The Enlightened Heart'
      Edited by Stephen Mitchell

      *  *  *  *  *

      VIORICA WEISSMAN  MillionPaths

      Meditation is to find out whether the brain, with all its activities, all its experiences,
      can be absolutely quiet. Not forced, because the moment you force, there is duality.
      The entity that says, 'I would like to have marvellous experiences, therefore I must
      force my brain to be quiet' will never do it. But if you begin to inquire, observe, listen
      to all movements of thought, its conditioning, its pursuits, its fears, its pleasures,
      watch how the brain operates, then you will see that the brain becomes extraordinarily
      quiet; that quietness is not sleep but it is tremendously active and therefore quiet. A
      big dynamo that is working perfectly hardly makes a sound; it is only when there is
      friction that there is noise.

      J. Krishnamurti -

      *  *  *  *  *

      DAILY DHARMA

      "Awareness is the original source of all that is. It
      is the uncaused, unchanging silence without beginning
      or end. Consciousness arises in awareness and is the
      all and everything of creation. There can be no
      Consciousness except in awareness which is beyond
      being and not being. Unconditional love originates in
      awareness and is the ground of all that is. You are
      that awareness. Whatever else you may believe yourself
      to be ... the body, the mind, the separate "me"
      involved in its apparent dramas and purposes, all of
      this is only an invitation to discover that you are
      the awareness through which all life emanates."
      ~Tony Parsons

      From the Book. "As It Is: The Open Secret to Living an
      Awakened Life," published by Inner Directions
      Foundation.

      *  *  *  *  *

      SHAWN  NondualParent

      This is madison, my second child, the first to be born in hawaii.

      The boss, she's a force to be wreckoned with...what does that mean? Don't
      butt heads, she's smart and always wins.

      She named her first doll, Kaliyuga at one yr old.  She never heard me say
      that....it came out of the void.

      A bit of a control freak, I'm sure someday she'll make a good Walmart
      manager. ;-)

      )))))))))Shawn

      "sweet Maddi" photo

      *  *  *  *  *

      SHADOWFAUX  NDS

      There is no sure way out of here save death.  We meditate.  We
      reflect upon our tenuous glimpses of "nothingness" and "timelessness"
      and "selflessness".  We are touched by the writings of others who
      have done the same.  We are awed by the vastness of what lies beyond
      us.  We laugh at the absurdity of where we are.  We cry with the pain
      of what we feel.  And through it all we remain.  Here.  Here in this
      life.  Here on this planet.  Here within our bodies, our selves.  The
      glimpses of what lies beyond offer us - what - comfort, freedom,
      peace... "enlightenment"?  We are drawn to it, this "great beyond".
      We feel the unceasing pulse of it, just beyond our grasp.  We long
      for more (or perhaps "less"?).  We crave deeper meaning.  Our
      glimpses of vastness inspire and enlighten us.  And still we remain.
      Here.  What then?  Are we here to find something unique, something
      that can only be found by being here, rather than anywhere else - or
      nowhere at all?  Is the greatest irony of life that we spend more
      time seeking what lies beyond it than what lies within it?

      *  *  *  *  *

      GLORIA LEE  HarshaSatsangh

      ALL THE BREATHS

      All the breaths all the people
           who ever lived or are alive now
                 breathe in their life put together
           could fit in a space
                 as big as
           Lake Michigan,
      Whereas an ant's total breaths in its life
           would fit in a space
                 the size of
           your body,
      And a human breathes