Tuesday, April 8, 2003

  • Michael A. Read
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 9, 2003
      Non Duality Highlights

      Issue #1396 - Tuesday, April 8, 2003 - Editor: michael

      home.wanadoo.nl/archyklinkert/ Overview%202/Overview%202.htm

      From Gene Poole on the MeditationSocietyofAmerica list:

      Spiritual Hierarchy

      Offered as help, this illustration of the
      imaginary hierarchy of spiritual rankings...
      and the temptations of AVERSION...
      lest we forget.

      Remember, this hierarchy is imaginary...

      Spiritual Hierarchy: Ranked from top to bottom

      God (or the Ultimate Deity of your choice)

      Fully Realized Beings (Saints, Masters, Gurus)

      Beings Now Ascending (Successful Seekers)

      Beings dedicated to correct devotion and practice

      Beings of Innocence

      Beings who mean well, but victimized by deceptions of others

      Ordinary ignorant Beings (Average person)

      Beings who indulge in non-spiritual acts

      Beings who deliberately choose to ignore spiritual precepts

      Beings who tempt and lure the innocent to ruin

      Beings who have lost all virtue

      Beings who take joy in harming others

      Beings whose only purpose is to harm (Demons)

      * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

      What this imaginary hierarchy does:

      It gives permissions...

      To harm those, who are perceived to harm;

      To feel superior, to those seen as below;

      To ignore and deny, one's own harmful acts;

      To justify, speaking against others;

      To manipulate, (via speech and acts) others to harm a targeted person, as in 'witch trials';

      To create artificial divisions, between persons and groups of persons for the purpose of giving advantages to some and denying to others;

      To create from nothing, your own fear and grief, as you see yourself in some lower region of the hierarchy... or as you fear that there is a force which will bring you down and down...

      The list goes on...

      * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
      Flaws in the model above, are corrected below:

      Entire hierarchy is a popularized concept, and not real. It is imaginary, yet it is widely believed, because it gives permissions.

      The 'believer' in the above hierarchy, gets a payback, reinforcement for belief, and this can be done very slyly. All reinforcements gained, are for purpose of nourishing the acquired identity, reinforcing it to make it 'real'.

      The 'Realizer' understands that there are no 'persons', no 'Beings', and that there is only SELF BEING.

      Correct practice and teaching, which may include meditation and study, is designed to ERADICATE the imaginary hierarchy, and to FREE of attachments which perpetuate the imaginary hierarchy.

      SELF BEING subsumes (takes to itself) all apparent factors. Perceived 'disharmony' is always 'harmony' in SELF; our 'job' is to let go, of attachment to all perceived disharmony.

      'Proof' of this concept is found in the "Tibetan Book of the dead"... in which, is revealed the schema of the 'Bardo', a realm in which our very thoughts and feelings, create the reality which we assume is real...

      (The newly dead) dwellers in the Bardo are advised, to strictly avoid reacting to anything perceived, by either aversion or desire...

      Modern 'seekers' and 'students' may know or understand the 'dangers of desire', but are usually completely ignorant of the dangers of aversion...

      The imaginary hierarchy, gives permission to act in aversion... in 'righteousness', against those perceived to be lower, and it is this very thing, which has created the very 'hell on Earth' which we now decry...

      Choose your hell, and start complaining...cursing, lynching, killing... justified by your insane belief in a spiritual hierarchy...There is no spiritual hierarchy; it is a concept of the mind, a model which should never be used to give permissions.

      ==Gene Poole==

      Help stamp out, eliminate, and abolish redundancy.

      Brain of Brian

      www.brainofbrian.com/

      From Karta:

      > > For more on brain centers related to religious belief and fervor

      see
      > > Cingulate system.

      the name and domain of the Professor is here

      http://psy.ucsd.edu/chip/ramabio.html

      > Vilayanur
      Ramachandran.

      > Here is the link about illusions:
      >
      > http://psy.ucsd.edu/chip/ramaillusions.html

      Ramachandran has explored religion as mental sickness.

      He found astonishing parallel facts with epileptics.

      Ramachandran explores people in deep meditation,
      > people with spirituel
      phenomens like enlightenment.

      > In the computerized tomography of
      the brain he has demonstrated

      astonishing parallel pictures.

      > The question in the
      SPIEGEL-Magazine was concerned:

      > Is religion and spirituel
      phenomens a form of brain-sickness?

      > ....could be a
      key for deeper and better understanding for several sister=
      s-
      > and
      brothers in beliefs.

      Dr.Persinger wrote about the subject
      too:

      "Persinger speculates that our left temporal lobe maintains our sense
      of self. When that region is stimulated but the right stays
      quiescent, the left interprets this as a sensed presence, as the self
      departing the body, or of God."

      But exactly how are these religious states produced? Our "sense of self"
      says Persinger, "is maintained by the left hemisphere temporal cortex.
      Under normal brain functioning this is matched by the corresponding
      systems in the right hemisphere temporal cortex. When these two
      systems becomes uncoordinated, such as during a temporal lobe seizure
      or a transient event, the left hemisphere interprets the
      uncoordinated activity as 'another self', or a 'sensed presence' thus
      accounting for subjects' experiences of a 'presence' in the room.

      Sometimes, it seems to be God, angels, demons, aliens, or ghosts.
      Sometimes, one has a sense of leaving one's body, as in near-death
      and in out-of-body experiences.

      The Power of the God Experience "In general, the more severe the
      disturbance, the more intense the God Experience. . . .

      The power of the God Experience shames any known therapy. With a
      single burst in the temporal lobe, people find structure and meaning
      in seconds. With it comes the personal conviction of truth and the sense
      of self-selection." -- Michael A. Persinger, Ph.D. Neuropsychological
      Bases of God Beliefs, p.33 and 17

      When the amygdala (the deep-seated region of the brain involved with
      emotion) is involved in the transient events, emotional factors
      significantly enhance the experience which, when connected to spiritual
      themes, can be a powerful force for intense religious feelings."

      However, when one has such experiences in a cold, clinical
      laboratory, the psychological impact of the induced "presence"
      is greatly reduced. The set and setting of the triggering experience
      is of overwhelming importance for its self-interpreted context and
      can even determine whether or not the experience occurs. This is
      akin to the difficulty in having a primal feeling in such an
      environment.

      Thus, having spiritual feelings in a religious location such as in a
      church, mosque or even in one's home without the helmet and without
      being hooked up to laboratory equipment, could easily convince
      the experiencer that he is being favored with God's presence. Having
      a far less intense experience, as one lives one's day-to-day life,
      can have a much more intensely persuasive effect.

      This is what happened to St. John of the Cross, St. Teresa of Avila,
      St. Thérèse of Lisieux and all of the Christian and other
      religious mystics in and out of convents and monasteries during
      periods of isolation and prayer.

      Such "God experiences" when combined with unitiveness have
      even resulted in the martyrdom of some Islamic clerics (e.g.,
      Hallaj in the tenth century) for their claiming that they were
      one with God. In the Catholic Church, Meister Eckhart's writings,
      for this reason, were condemned as heretical by Pope John XXII.9

      Osama bin Laden:

      "I was ordered to fight the people until they say there is no God but
      Allah and his prophet Muhammad."
      -- Osama bin Laden - in the Dec. 21,2001 video about the WTC terrorist
      attack "Not surprisingly, their...behaviors and psychological
      experiences are predominated by a sense of personal destiny, the
      most supreme form of infantile egoism.

      Each one has been selected to give a message to the world. Like the
      committed preacher or the proselytizing prophet, they have
      a sense of the special - their experiences are somehow exceptional."

      -- Dr. Michael A. Persinger, Neuropsychological Bases of God
      Beliefs, p. 20

      He writes,
      "The notion of God is not only there to quell our Pains but to fulfill
      our key, unfulfilled needs (to be listened to, protected, watched
      over, loved, etc.). It is the notion that begins to produce the
      endorphines that literally answer our prayers for surcease. The idea
      of God is the real power, yet we imagine that the relief is the
      workings of a deity. We ourselves bring on the relief by fiats of
      faith and hope.

      Those two psychological factors arise out of Pain and suppress it.
      The power is inside of us; positive belief has the power to tranquilize

      "In spite of these two radically opposing viewpoints concerning
      spirituality, could Persinger's technique be used to supplement or
      expedite the therapeutic efficiency of different forms of regressive psychotherapies?

      What would be the effect of having regression therapy sessions under
      the stimulus of electro-magnetic energy fields? Of the two
      psychotherapies, Grof's holotropic breathwork, at least theoretically,
      would seem better

      peace, Karta

      From Pete on the AdvaitatoZen list:

      A Zen detective investigates Being

      “I know I exist, but when I look into this existence, I can’t pinpoint exactly
      the core of my identity.”

      “How do you know you exist?” The Zen detective asked.

      “I think, therefore, I am.”

      “Ah, yes, Descartes famous dictum. Do you consider it true?” He said with a
      smile.

      “Certainly.”

      “Thinking is just comparing information. Computers do that, don’t they? But
      they are not conscious of this process? So, what you really mean is that you
      are conscious of your thoughts, so therefore, you can pose a question regarding
      your existence. Consciousness, rather than thinking, is the proof of existence.
      But can we really extend this proof to an “I” different from this awareness?”

      “I think we could.”

      “I’m not so sure. Let’s look into it. When you say, “I am aware” you are
      posing an entity that is conscious of awareness. By saying this, you are
      claiming, two awareness simultaneously conscious of each other, when in
      reality, there is only awareness of a memory. The ‘I’ is a very intricate
      mental contraction resembling a spider web knitted by memory. It’s a magical
      spider web and anything it traps becomes a memory. It’s this magical spider web
      reflecting the light of awareness, which gives the illusion of
      self-consciousness. When we say we are aware, it’s only awareness trying to
      catch itself in the act of being aware. Awareness chasing its own tale gives
      birth to the ‘I feeling’, and to that peculiar activity called spiritual
      search. In trying to unearth the core of the self, you will only expose endless
      layers of thoughts, and memories.”

      “So must I give up the search for my true self?”

      The detective laughed, “ There is no ‘I’ to give up anything, when awareness
      stops chasing itself, then endless luminous openness is there. This openness
      can neither be defined nor possessed. It just is.”

      Pete

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 9, 2003
        Issue #1397 - Tuesday April 8, 2003 - Editor: Jerry

        Jody
        NDS

        "It became clear to me that enlightened people are as fallible as anyone. They are expanded human beings, not perfect human beings, and they live and breathe with many of the same faults and vulnerabilities we ordinary humans must endure. "
        --Osho

        Matthew Files
        NDS

        A man of peace is not a pacifist . . .
        A man of peace is
        simply a pool of silence . . .

        He pulsates a new kind of energy into
        the world . . . he sings a new song.

        He lives in a totally new way . . .
        His very way of life is that of grace . . .
        that of prayer . . . that of compassion.

        Whomsoever he touches . . . he creates more love.

        The man of peace is creative. He is not against war . . .
        because to be against anything is to be at war. He is
        not against war . . . he simply understands why war exists.
        And out of that understanding he becomes peaceful . . .
        Only when there are many people who are pools of
        peace . . . silence . . . understanding . . .
        will the war disappear . . .

        OSHO Zen: The Path of Paradox Vol. II ***

        David Godman's new website:

        Shankar's web page is now up to date:

        Kailasa
        NDS

        Hello Friends, Just looking for like-minded souls.
        I am directly experiencing my life, emotions, habits, and the pain of
        my own self-betrayals more and more.  With the support of this love.
        Such Beauty.  Even in the pain. I pray for more willingness for my
        heart to open all the way.   Thanks, Kailasa

        This We Have Now

        This we have now
        is not imagination.

        This is not
        grief or joy.

        Not a judging state,
        or an elation,
        or sadness.

        Those come
        and go.

        This is the presence
        that doesn't.

        It's dawn, Husam,
        here in the splendor of coral,
        inside the friend, the simple truth
        of what Hallaj said.

        What else could human beings want?

        When grapes turn to wine,
        they're wanting
        this.

        When the nightsky pours by,
        it's really a crowd of beggars,
        and they all want some of this!

        This
        that we are now
        created the body, cell by cell,
        like bees building a honeycomb.

        The human body and the universe
        grew from this, not this
        from the universe and the human body.
                                          -Rumi

        J.P. Poffandi
        NDS

        Baghdad - 08 April 2003
        (Rooters)

        "We have won the war", stated Iraqi Information Minister Mohammed
        Saeed al-Sahaf in an impromptu news conference held early Tuesday
        morning.

        "We have beaten their stupid bombs and missiles with our palaces and
        government buildings. The unholy mercenaries are running away into
        the desert, flapping their arms like fightened drag-queens.

        We have pulverized their cheap toy tanks with the bare hands of our
        brave martyrs. The old, rusty helicopters they sent to annoy us were
        pesky flies that we swattted and squashed with rolled Oprah
        magazines. We have captured 263,000 American, British, Australian
        and Polish mercenaries but we are treating them very well -
        exceeding all Geneva Covention minimal requirements - with full
        access to the tastiest low-fat beef shish-kabobs and our best
        bellydancers. Their divisions have been utterly destroyed and driven
        into the sea to drown with their evil dolphins and satanic sea
        lions.

        The foreign jackals never even came close to Baghdad. Saddam and his
        glorious sons are driving right now through the city in captured
        Hummers with expensive stereos blaring our national anthem - to the
        cheers of his beloved flower and rice throwing people who adore
        him.  Our brave hero they scorn as 'Chemical Ali' is alive and well
        and he is planning to send aerosol cans of "special hair-growing
        mousse" to Chemical Ari.

        This morning, Washington has been pulverized into looking like
        Afghanistan by our Cessna loaded with - believe me - a very powerful
        really big exploding molotov coktail thing. The son of Bush did not
        suvive. He could not hide in his Pennsylvania Avenue bunker when our
        bunker busting dromadaires drilled through the cheap mortar and wood
        of his fancy pants castle.

        We warned them not to come here and invade our country, didn't we?
        But did they listen? Nooooooo they didn't!

        Nah-nah-nah-nah, nah-nah-nah-nah, hey-hey, goo-ood-bye!"

        David Bozzi
        NDS

        The soap-opera of nationalism

        I really love
        how the President,
        (the one without most of the votes)

        that Darth Vader wannabe
        who pre-emptively attacks

        acted-out
        his true feelings
        before the camera eyes
        today,

           ...for once they did not lie

        watching

        this president possessed
        like a boy entangled
        in his professional wrestling fantasy

        gripping tightly
        with both his hands
        for all the world to his

        fanatical
        gnarled fingers
        surrounding empty space
        where in his mind
        he fetishes his inner demon's throat...

        If that don't get me hooked
        on the soap-opera of nationalism
        well I'll be darned...

        INTRODUCTION INTO THE CHHANDOGYA UPANISHAD

        OM. May Brahman protect us both !

        May Brahman bestow upon us both the fruit of Knowledge !

        May we both obtain the energy to acquire Knowledge !

        May what we both study reveal the Truth !

        May we cherish no ill-feeling toward each other !

        Om.  Peace !  Peace !  Peace !

        The Brihadaranyaka and the Chhandogya Upanishads are the two longest Upanishads and occupy a superior position among the Upanishads.

        Both of these Upanishads form the basis for later development of Vedantic teachings.

        There are 8 parts to the Chhandogya Upanishad which are divided into
        2 sections.

        The first section has 5 parts which deal with upasana, ritualistic worship, and meditation.

        The second section has 3 parts which discuss fundamental doctrines of Vedantic philosophy.

        The sixth part is the of the vedantic dictum--Tattvamasi--That Thou Art

        The seventh part is the doctrine of Bhuma, Infinity

        The eighth part concerns itself with the Doctrine of Atman.

        Sri Sankaracharya drew his teachings from Upanishadic statements such as:

        "One only without a second" in His non-dualism philosophy.

        The Vedas have two sections :

        1.  Dealing with karma and ritualistic worship, for those seeking happiness on earth and in heaven.

        2.  Is about jnana and the Knowledge of Brahman for those seeking Immortality.

        The Vedic theory is to slowly and methodically take minds away from the sensate world and lead them to the loftiest ideal--Brahman.  Therefore, the Upanishad will begin with the five parts of the first section :

        Upasana, ritualistic worship, and meditation.

        Satchitananda

        Kathy

        (From Swami Nikhilananda's THE UPANISHADS.  Chhandogya Upanishad in Book Four)

        SRI SANKARACHARYA'S INTRODUCTION

        Om. Salutations to the Supreme Self.

        The Chhandogya Upanishad, consisting of eight chapters, commences with the words :  "The syllable Om."  We begin this short treatise, containing a simple explanation of the book, for those who wish to know, in brief, the import.

        to be continued..

        Sri Sankaracharya will say :"When work is performed with a knowledge of such deities as the prana and agni, it enables the agent to attain Saguna Brahman."

        If the study of and the means for attaining Brahman is of interest, you would enjoy Sri Sankaracharya's group:

        Matthew and Gene
        NDS

        Matthew:
         At NDS a lot of talk is given to the idea, or truth, depending how
        you look at it, that there is really no 'doer'and that what we call
        life, is the natural arising of phenomena. Why does this not seem to
        be the case when war is talked about? Why is war not talked about as
        the natural arising of phenomena? Why is it seen as seperate from the
        whole? As something that should not be? Why are those in positions of
        political and economic power, who are for the war, seen as 'doers',
        even creators of the war. How can Bush be wrong or bad if in truth
        there is no 'doer'?  How can war be the wrong path if all paths lead
        to the same end?
        Gene:
        Your concerns are noted.

        If you are asking 'why', the answers
        are not available without such as this:

        http://tinyurl.com/94ch

        The questions you ask are good leads,
        but in themselves, incomplete.

        If one does not know, and wants to
        know, the information available thru
        the link will start the actual questioning
        process...