Monday, April 7, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 8, 2003

      “Ohio Buckeye in Gramercy Park, NY” 2002

      ink/gouache, framed
      28” h x 21 1/2”w
      $ 2300.00
      http://www.nataliegoldberg.com/P-OhioBuckey.html

      Issue #1395 - Monday, April 7, 2003 - Editor: Jerry

      We're a nation united proudly behind our president, in whose
      leadership we have the utmost confidence, or so they tell me. But
      then, why have David Rees' cartoons become a certifiable internet
      phenomenon, seemingly more popular than MP3s and free porn
      combined? I think it's because a lot of people these days have a
      small screaming voice buried deep down inside, a voice which simply
      cannot fucking believe this fucking shit--but instead of keeping
      that voice locked safely away while he puts more flag stickers on
      the SUV, Rees invites it up to the microphone and cranks up the
      sound system as loud as it'll go, and in doing so, provides us all
      with a kind of public scream therapy. Sure, we've been thrust into
      a world none of us would have chosen, a world of suicide bombings
      and terrorist attacks and John Ashcroft and under God only knows
      what else--but at least we got a good comic strip out of the deal.

      —Tom Tomorrow

      Melody
      NDS

      These verses are from the third Ch'an patriarch - a worker and
      wanderer in Ancient China, fleeing for his life from jealous monks.

      Hsin Hsin Ming
      Verses On the Faith Mind
      by Sengstan
      translated by Richard B. Clarke

      "The Great Way is not difficult
      for those who have no preferences.
      When love and hate are both absent
      everything becomes clear and undisguised.
      Make the smallest distinction, however
      and heaven and earth are set infinitely apart.

      If you wish to see the truth
      then hold no opinions for or against anything.
      To set up what you like against what you dislike
      is the disease of the mind........."

      http://www.sentient.org/hsin.htm

      NDS
      Zen priest Genryu speaks:

      In order to recieve (sic) ordination one has to study with a recognised
      teacher usually for at least several years and it generally implies
      at least an initial Kensho. The duties of a Zen priest are to
      always continue training, to not be afraid to speak the truth, to
      manifest their realisation in daily life and to offer that life for
      the sake of all beings. The only other requirement for ordination,
      which is implicit in the other requirements, is that one has
      realised enough to have something to offer others and that becomes
      one's life vow, rather than career or image, or collecting Rolls
      Royces.

      Genryu

      “Tavern, Yellow Springs, Ohio”

      ink/gouache/on paper, framed
      21 3/4”h x 24 1/4”w
      $2200.00
      http://www.nataliegoldberg.com/paintings.html

      from Wild Mind: Living the Writer's Life
      by Natalie Goldberg