Saturday, March 15, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 16, 2003
           Saturday, March 15, 2003

      The dark will be your womb
      tonight.

      The night will give you a horizon
      further than you can see.

      You must learn one thing
      The world was made to be free in.

      Give up all the other worlds
      except the one to which you belong.

      Sometimes it takes darkness and the sweet
      confinement of your aloneness
      to learn

      anything or anyone
      that does not bring you alive

      is too small for you.

      ~from Risking Everything edited by Roger Housden c.2003

      Sculpture: Bodhisattva Maitreya - Gandhara, India Kushan period
      collection of San Francisco Asian Art Museum http://www.asianart.org

      Editor note: This day spent in gratitude for the clear flow of
      Leo Hartong's book Awakening To The Dream
      Leo is a member of our "Highlight" community.
      He is gracefully sharing this river with us.

      The mind not only appears in Awareness, it tends to confuse
      its own intellectual activity with Awareness. In fact,
      Awareness is not a product of the mind, but the mind is a
      product of Awareness- the silent and permanent background
      common to everything, including the mind and its activity.
      Like the screen on which we watch a movie, this background
      is generally ignored in favor of the impermanent activity that
      appears on or against it. Zoom out, and Awareness and its
      content unify in a Self-luminous singularity about which
      nothing can be said or known for the simple reason that
      anything said or known is part-and-parcel of this singularity.  p. 40

      Awareness is the consistent characteristic in and behind all
      experience, yet it is also that which most easily escapes our
      attention. Attention is not the same as Awareness. Our brain
      is designed in such a way that giving attention to something
      automatically implies ignoring something else. We see the
      stars and ignore the space; we read this text and ignore the
      page; we see the movie and ignore the screen; yet it is
      obvious that the ignored space, page, and screen are as
      fundamental to our observations as the stars, the text, and
      the movie, which hold our attention. This is an important
      point, as the mechanics of attention often get confused with
      Awareness. Attention works through noticing something in
      contrast to something that’s ignored, while Awareness is the
      non-dual space that sustains both the noticed and the
      ignored. Attention may require effort; Awareness simply is.
      Everything that comes up is contained in and embraced by
      this Awareness, including objects perceived as “out there”
      (rocks, cars, other sentient beings) and emotions, thoughts,
      and feelings experienced as “in here.” In this sense,
      Awareness is as much in the body-mind as the body-mind is
      in Awareness. Compare it to a clay pot, which contains
      space and at the same time is contained by space.
      Breaking the pot will not affect this space. p. 61

      Another way of seeing this is to follow your path backward.
      Instead of going after the realization you want, look to where
      the want arises; then take another step back and observe
      from where the "I" arises. What is the silence before the "I"?
      What is this no-thing-ness, this absolute presence? Does it
      strive to get something or somewhere? Does it need to
      become something, or does all becoming arise from and in it? p. 82

      It is the sort of experience that people who want
      enlightenment are looking for; and many have confused it
      with enlightenment, as did I. What is generally overlooked,
      however, is the silent background in which both the
      experience and the "I" that remembers and interprets it
      occur. To this mirror-like Awareness, such an experience is
      simply another cloud drifting by.

      The silent background in which experience appears and
      disappears had escaped the attention of the "me" that
      thought he "got it." p. 103

      This vibrant, pulsating display of energy has no purpose
      beyond itself, and in this very purposelessness lies its infinite
      delight. To the one hearing this music, it extends an open
      invitation to realize the ever-present flow that is going on, to
      simply go with it and surrender to its causeless joy. When
      this invitation is accepted, it becomes plain as the nose on
      your face that any step taken to get closer to one's true Self
      is one step too many. p. 116

      The truth is, of course, not in these words but in the
      understanding of them. If you really hear, you're really here,
      and you encounter the answer everywhere. It is repeated in
      and as everything and says again and again, "All is One.
      This is IT. You are IT." p. 135

      If no answer or concept can jolt you from your sense of
      separation, if you have reached a dead end in your search,
      perhaps it is possible to disregard all concepts, to simply
      surrender to what is and stand naked and alone as this.
      Perhaps you can stop waiting for an event to confirm that you
      are fully awake and simply accept that it must be already so.
      To accept that there is no separate you, and therefore no
      one in need of waking up, is a shortcut. You might call it the
      final "stepless step." Rip off all the labels, ignore the
      ever-changing stories in your head, and see what remains
      unchanged. p. 136

      Breathing peace by way of xan

      Have sound turned on for this one...

      http://www.attractinggenuinelove.com/peace1.html

      Jan Barendrecht NDS

      two nondual birds
      both engaged in dueling
      with the roaring surf

      among feathered friends
      ev'ry eye reflects the light
      even in the dark

      John Metzger offers:

      'The conditions of a solitary bird are five:

      First, that it flies to the highest point.

      Second, that it does not suffer for company, not even of its own kind.

      Third, that it aims its beak to the sky.

      Fourth, that it does not have a definite color.

      Fifth, that it sings very softly.' - Carlos Castaneda

      Been putting off learning how to get my music on a computer & the Internet for years. Well, I just got my first tune up. [MP3] Anyone is welcome to to take a listen. My only request is please don't rip me off. If I heard a sample of my stuff ripped on some rap song I would surely puke.

      This one's called 'Slow Down' written & recorded circa 97-98. Like most of my tunes
      written then I haven't put guitar on it yet. (musicians are notorisly lazy)

      (this is not a real group, I only set it up for file sharing so please don't try to subscribe)

      Lyrics to this song are here if interested:
      http://www.angelfire.com/poetry/inkblot/slowdown.htm

      I'll put more music up later. (but I reserve the right to be lazy)

      EnJoy David (struggling artist who works for free)

      Ellen Lorenzi-Prince

      The Crone Speaks:

          To know me, first know this ~
          In the beginning, as in the End
          there is Nothing
          There is Nothing
          Behind your ordinary world
          Behind all manifestation
          Lies the Void

          I am the emptiness surrounding
          the universe
          I am the uncertainty of the electron
          I am the nothingness hiding in
          your soul

          In the Void you have no name
          Words do not exist
          You have no memory, no past
          or future
          Time does not exist
          You find no landmarks, you have
          no body
          Matter does not exist

          But You
          You may still exist

          A mere spark of awareness

          But that is enough
          That is where you begin

      Wandering words ... found on LiveJournal

      WHY ENGLISH IS DIFFICULT TO LEARN

      1) The bandage was wound around the wound.

      2) The farm was used to produce produce.

      3) The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.

      4) We must polish the Polish furniture.

      5) He could lead if he would get the lead out.

      6) The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.

      7) Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was time to present the present.

      8) A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.

      9) When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.

      10) I did not object to the object.

      11) The insurance was invalid for the invalid.

      12) There was a row among the row of oarsmen about how to row.

      13) They were too close to the door to close it.

      14) The buck does funny things when the does are present.

      15) A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.

      16) To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.

      17) The wind was too strong to wind the sail.

      18) After a number of injections my jaw got number.

      19) Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear.

      20) I had to subject the subject to tests on the subject.

      21) How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?

      Lets face it - English is a crazy language:

      There is no egg in eggplant, nor ham in hamburger, neither apple nor pine in pineapple.

      English muffins weren't invented in England or French fries in France.

      Sweetmeats are candies while sweetbreads, which aren't sweet at all, are meat.

      We take English for granted, but if we explore its paradoxes, we find that quicksand can work slowly, boxing rings are square and a guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig.

      What other reason could there be for saying that people recite at a play and play at a recital?

      Or, ship cargo by truck and send cargo by ship?

      Or, have noses that run and feet that smell?

      How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same, while a wise man and a wise guy be opposites?

      How can overlook and oversee be opposites, while quite a lot and quite a few are alike?

      You have to marvel at the unique lunacy of a language in which your house can burn up as it burns down, in which you fill in a form by filling it out, and in which an alarm goes off by
      going on.

      English was invented by people, not computers, and it reflects the creativity of the human race, which, of course, isn't a race at all.

      That is why, when the stars are out, they are visible, but when the lights are out, they are invisible.

      And why, when I wind up my watch, I start it, but when I wind up this essay, I end it.

      - Author unknown

      Dave Mason (Searby LiveJournal)

      personally,
      i do not favour