Saturday, March 1, 2003

  • Christiana Duranczyk
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2003
           Lift up the self by the Self
           And don't let the self droop down,
           For the Self is the self's only friend
           And the self is the Self's only foe.

           —The Book of Runes

           Nondual Highlights
           Issue #1364 -
           Saturday, March 1, 2003
           Editor: Christiana

      Swami's 2003 State of the Universe Address
      by Swami Beyondananda
      Hello everybody -- it is great to be here ... and you know what?
      We really have no choice. Because no matter where we are, we
      are always here. And it is always now. In fact, there's even a
      book called The Power of Now. I haven't had time to read it yet,
      but I hope to get to it in a later now.
      Meanwhile, back in this now, the issue facing the United States,
      and indeed the world is, will George Bush give in to his Big Iraq
      Attack and order up a war? Latest reports say that a war to force
      a regime change in Iraq will cost $200 billion. It is puzzling to me
      why some of those fiscal fitness fanatics in the Republican Party
      haven't tried to find a cheaper way to do it. Maybe if they offered
      the Iraqis half -- $100 billion -- they could do it themselves. Then
      we'd still have $100 billion left to spend on regime change in this
      Because -- and I have to be blunt here -- the folks we have in
      charge are fossils fueled by fossil fuels. And in the reptilian brain,
      problems aren't solved, they're attacked. Like the War on
      Poverty. Remember that? I'm happy to report that it's finally over.
      The poor people have all surrendered. And take the War on
      Drugs -- please! How many billions have they spent? My solution
      is cheaper and more effective ... improve reality!
      Now we have the War on Terrorism. We're going to terrorize
      those terrorists into giving up terrorism if it's the last thing we do!
      And it just might be. The good news is -- and I have it on the
      Highest Authority -- there will indeed be peace on Earth.
      Whether we humans are around to enjoy it, that is up to us.
      No wonder there is so much fear, uncertainty and confusion on
      the planet. I'll tell you how bad it's gotten. You've heard of
      Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle? Well, they're not even sure
      about THAT anymore. And so, more and more people are
      turning to the mystics for answers.
      I have often said there are two kinds of mystics, the optimystics
      and the pessimystics. Now pessimystics seem to be more in
      touch with "reality," but optimystics are happier and live longer
      for some reason. The pessimystics have been crying, "The sky
      is falling, the sky is falling!" The optimystics say, "No. It just looks
      that way because we are ascending."
      Now, for those people who read the news -- not to mention those
      unfortunate enough to BE in the news -- last year was not an
      easy year to keep an optimystic attitude with so much
      pessimystic evidence. Call me a hopeless "hopium" addict, but I
      choose to accentuate the positive. For example, you can say we
      human beings have moved further down the path of
      self-destruction. Or you could say the Earth is ridding itself of a
      virulent parasite.
      You can despair over continuing war, disease and starvation, or
      you can go, "Hey, population control the good, old fashioned way
      -- without birth control or abortion." Who says "compassionate
      conservative" is an oxymoron?
      You can worry about the government taking liberties with our
      liberties or you can say, "Life has become simpler! They've
      boiled the Bill of Rights down to just one: You have the right to
      remain silent."
      So I am not going to dwell on the negative. As my guru Harry
      Cohen Baba used to say, "Life is like photography ... we use the
      negative to develop." So let us look at the bright side.
      Like technological advances, for example. Forty years ago
      President John F. Kennedy promised to have a man on the
      moon by the end of the 1960s. Well, we have far exceeded that.
      Thanks to the so-called Patriot Act, George Bush can have a
      man on Uranus by the end of the week!
      George Bush was responsible for a great spiritual advance last
      year, as well. He upgraded the Golden Rule for the new
      millennium. It's now the Gold Rule: "Doodoo unto others before
      they can doodoo unto you."
      And -- say what you will -- President Bush has made great
      strides on behalf of minority representation. Never before have
      we had a President who was looking out for a smaller minority.
      Now this is the State of the Universe Address, and seen from
      that higher perspective, things look great! I am happy to report
      that the Universe continued to expand in 2002, and in fact, they
      actually had to let the Photon Belt out a another notch. An
      expanding Universe means more jobs too, so we can expect a
      steady influx of aliens looking for work. Yep, the Universe just
      keeps purring in perfection, ever-changing as usual. The planets
      continue to harmoniously spin in their orbits, and except for the
      occasional case of asteroids, they just calmly go about their
      Meanwhile, back here on earth, things are a bit more
      problematical. We still haven't fully recovered from that vicious
      dogma attack of 911. But as an optimystic, I believe you can
      indeed teach an old dogma new tricks, simply by changing the
      emPHAsis to another sylLABle. Instead of focusing only on
      emergency measures, why not take emerge 'n SEE measures?
      When we emerge from our fearful hiding places and see from
      the cosmic comic perspective, we realize that beneath all the
      stress and distress and sadness in life there is a deep well of
      joy. Each time we let laughter bubble up from the well, we
      experience deep wellness. Levity helps us overcome gravity,
      especially when we shine the light of laughter on those poorly-lit
      corridors of power.
      Do you know what the leading cause of terrorism is? It's
      seriousness. I'm serious. Think about it. Those people have no
      sense of humor. Otherwise how could they believe they will get to
      heaven by putting other people through hell?
      Here is my vision: A suicide bomber arrives at the Gates of
      Heaven, and God clops him over the head and says,
      "SCHMUCK! What'd you do that for? 72 virgins? YOU get one
      72-year-old virgin, and his name starts with Ayatollah!"
      But if Americans are willing to revive the Iraqi Horror Picture
      Show just to feed our out-of-control oil habit, how are we that
      different? How many innocents will be put through hell, just to
      preserve our little corner of relative heaven? There is no real
      peace without harmony and balance, only the vicious cycle of
      injustice. Peons get tired of getting peed on, right? You get
      pissed on, and pretty soon you're gonna get pissed off. This
      causes the hot spots to flare, and pretty soon you have an
      uprising, which usually results in a downfall. All these uprisings
      and downfalls can be wearing on the body politic.
      Fortunately, we do have a choice. One of my favorite stories
      recently is about a Native American grandfather talking to his
      young grandson. He tells the boy he has two wolves inside of him
      struggling with each other. The first is the wolf of peace, love and
      kindness. The other wolf is fear, greed and hatred. "Which wolf
      will win, grandfather?" asks the young boy. "Whichever one I
      feed," is the reply.
      Every day -- every moment -- we have the choice to feed the wolf
      of love or the wolf of fear. It is interesting that we are called
      humanKIND. What better time than now to find out, can mankind
      treat man kindly?
      I have a dream ... I call it tell-a-vision. I say, if you're dissatisfied
      with the current programming, you can turn off your TV and tell a
      vision instead. Here is my vision: Remember the Manhattan
      Project during World War II? It took less than four years for a
      group of scientists to develop the first weapon of mass
      destruction. My vision is, we can do even better for an even
      worthier goal. We could call it the Manhelpin Project, and its
      purpose would be to develop the first weapon of mass
      construction instead.
      Think about it. What if we used that $200 billion set to detonate
      in Iraq, and put it toward becoming the worldwide leader in
      renewable, clean, ustainable energy sources? Now there's some
      real power. Create something so plentiful you don't have to pay
      an army to protect your share. A healthy income, a healthy
      outcome ... what could possibly make more sense? Boy, talk
      about feeding two birds with one scone!
      The choice is up to us. If we want an alternative, we must feed
      the "alter native" economy ... anything that alters us natives for
      the better. The world we live in is a byproduct of the products we
      buy, is it not? What if we only choose to buy products with healthy
      byproducts? Think about this: There are at least 45 million
      Americans who consciously want to feed the wolf of peace. If
      each of us switched just $100 into the alter native economy, that
      would be $4.5 billion!
      Last year, we launched a blisskrieg and declared "all out
      peace." I'm happy to report it is already working. More people
      are letting their inner peace out, and these outbreaks of peace
      are actually causing esteem to rise! And we all know that rising
      esteem is good for the atmosphere. As esteem rises, more
      people on the planet will be able to be all that they can be --
      without joining the army. And when more of us put our energy into
      love and laughter instead of criticizing and condemning, we will
      have Uncritical Mass ... and we will bring about Nonjudgment
      Day, and along with it, Disarmaggedon. Now you might be
      wondering, what will Nonjudgment Day look like? Let me tell
      another vision.
      I have been to the heights of levity, and I have seen people all
      over the world dancing together in the universal dance of fool
      realization ... The Hokey Pokey. I want you to hold this vision with
      me: all of the world leaders at the United Nations beginning their
      sessions with the Hokey Pokey. What if Ariel Sharon and Yasser
      Arafat put their whole selves in in? That would be commitment.
      And then pulled their whole selves out. That is detachment. Then
      they turn themselves around, which is transformation. And that,
      my friends, is what it is all about!
      So, how can you help raise the laugh force on the planet enough
      to bring about Nonjudgment Day? First, you can take a vow of
      levity, and laugh more. And we even have a Laughmore Society
      to help you do just that. Next, you can support everyone's right to
      laugh by joining the Right To Laugh Party ... "One big party,
      everyone is invited. All for fun, and fun for all."
      Commit random acts of comedy. Practice Fun Shui and leave
      the world a funnier place. Anything to elicit a moment of
      fool-realization with a spark of laughter. Because only when we
      lovingly laugh at our foolishness, can we seriously change things
      for the better . May you wake up laughing and leave laughter in
      your wake ... and may the Farce be with you!
      © Copyright 2003 by Steve Bhaerman. All rights reserved.
      To find out more about the Swami, and how you can promote
      healing laughter and ransformational comedy through the
      Laughmore Society and the Right-To-Laugh movement, go to
      www.wakeuplaughing.com or call Swami's hotline at

      The March issue of the TAT Forum is now online at
      This month's contents include: The Path (part 5) by Richard Rose
      | Poems by Shawn Nevins | Thought Experiment by Shawn
      Nevins | How to Be Happy by Douglas Harding | Do You Think a
      Higher Power Can Help You? by Bob Cergol | What Dream of
      Mind? by Bob Fergeson | Self-Knowledge by Gary Harmon |
      Humor | Reader Commentary

      Seeking the doorway to enlightenment

      Vicki Woodyard NDS

      Boddhisattvas Needed

      Boddhisattvas needed, apply within. I saw that in
      the shop window of someone's eyes the other day.
      In fact, I see this in everyone's eyes. A pleading
      and a longing for the help of true kindness is being
      transmitted twenty-four hours a day. And yet no
      one seems to have the time.

      What is a boddhisattva in today's world?

      Who could possibly relieve the suffering of all sentient beings? The answer is not a who but a what, for the boddhisattvic state is one of knowing your true nature. All blessings flow from this knowledge.

      I need the beauty of the buddha in my life. I
      need the sound of surrender tinkling like a
      brook in my bloodstream. "I sing the body
      electric," said Walt Whitman. We are the
      music of the spheres, if we would just stop
      and listen.

      Silent transmission of the truth works, too; in fact, it works the best. Ramana Maharshi's gaze is everlasting. Our own look within reveals a diamond mine of the dharma. Surrender is a silent process involving the demise of our own delusion. For we are not apart from the boddhisattvas. Only our unconscious suffering seems to separate us. Conscious suffering is the key to clear being. Not getting rid of suffering, but transcending it.

      Make no mistake about it--enlightenment is your
      own darkness made conscious....made cosmic.
      None of us are anything but mud and mistakes
      until we rise above our tendency to lie about this.
      Enlightened compassion is a gift that we receive
      from within.

      Photo courtesy of MSN News: A Mongolian woman prays beside a doorway at the Kumbum Monastery (Ta'er Si) on Feb. 20 on the outskirts of Xining in western China's Qinghai province.  One of the six great monasteries of the Yellow Hat sect of Tibetan Buddhism, Kumbum was built on sacred ground in 1577 and is the birthplace of the sect's founder, Tsong Khapa. Located on the Qinghai plateau, which was once a part of Tibet and known as Amdo, the monastery attracts Buddhists from across central Asia and western China.

      from http://www.misericordia.edu/users/davies/maya/paint.htm

      Gospel of Thomas Painting by Charles Hardaker

      Saying 42) Jesus said, "Become passers-by."

      Among a million believers in God,
      there is scarcely one
      who makes God a reality.

      --Hazrat Inayat Khan

      from: http://www.dogchurch.org/indexfrm.html

      God is a comic, playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh."
       — Voltaire
      Too often we put saddlebags on Jesus and let the donkey run
      loose in the pasture.
      — The Essential Rumi, translated by Coleman Barks, 256.