Sunday, February 23, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 24, 2003
      "Follow your bliss... Participate joyfully in the sorrows of the world..
      We cannot cure the world of its pain and violence, but we can choose
      to live in joy." ~Joseph Campbell

      posted on Daily Dharma

      Issue #1359 - Sunday, February 23, 2003 - Editor: Gloria

      Walking in winter fields
      where birds are few
      and mice are losing
      sight of spring

      and for eternity,
      to look where we are not,
      travelling to the deep or heights
      and slipping back unknown

      passed once more
      like a stranger on the path
      or the recognition,
      a meeting at the door

       the listener in peace and glory
      inside this never ending story

      tonight joining sleeping beauty
      in every seed
      while the owl is singing
      under the moon.

      _____________________________________

      David Hodges  NDS

      Hankering for Disaster

      I don't usually write on political themes even though I follow the news closely. But last night I read the following poem by Robert Bly and it seemed to fit the current mood in the United States exactly. It refers to the battle at Ypres, France, in World War I, when hundreds of thousands of soldiers lost their lives for a few yards of territory.

      The Battle at Ypres, 1915

      Tammuz, bright with feathers, goes to the Underworld.
      The peat-bog man sleeps on his slanted face.
      Not to worry; it means that spring has come.

      Naked men crawl into tunnels to retrieve the giant
      Snakes. They don't resist if pulled out backwards.
      Ah, friends, the world pulls us out backwards.

      Some say that every bit of iron we pull
      Out of the earth, and shape, we have to pay for.
      At Ypres we paid dearly for the Bentley car.

      Some greedy part hankers for disaster, for things
      To go wrong, for the war to start. Many people
      Are disappointed when the bombing is canceled.

      Events at times turn out exactly wrong with us.
      The Magi are misled by a satellite in the night;
      And a rabbit sacrifices people during our Easter.

      How happy the Europeans were in 1914.
      It seemed as though spring had come at last!
      Our gaiety the morning of war is momentary.

      --- Robert Bly,
      The Night Abraham Called to the Stars

      I feel that many in the United States, especially in the executive branch of our government, have this hankering for disaster. And many people in this country would be disappointed if the war on Iraq doesn't happen - "Many people are disappointed when the bombing is canceled."

      The problem is compounded because Saddam Hussein also has this hankering for disaster, as he has shown many times. He seems to be willing to pull down the roof on his own country. And my country seems to be willing to unleash the necessary destruction to help Saddam achieve his disaster.

      Some notes on the poem itself:

      Bly writes in images which sometimes are paradoxical and hard to understand. Tammuz was a Sumerian (i.e. pre-Christian) savior figure who predates Jesus in his death and resurrection. It is said that he fertilized the earth with his blood when he died. So in the first stanza Bly references the cycle of death and resurrection, blood in the fields, and then, in talking about the peat-bog man, that which is ancient which comes to light in modern times.

      The second stanza makes that more explicit - the men who crawl into tunnels to pull out the giant snakes - this image gives me an echo of the caves of Afghanistan and how U.S. soldiers sought Osame bin Laden there. This stanza again talks about the primitive, the archaon, coming back to life.

      "Every bit of iron we pull out of the earth we have to pay for" - What is this iron that we pull out of the earth? Easy to think about iron in the earth in conjunction with bombs, bullets, shells, missiles, destruction. Bly says we have to pay for this. There are debts incurred when we do this.

      "The Magi are misled by a satellite in the night" - this image creates a wonderful image that, if it must be reduced to  prose, refers to our tendency to get direction from technology, not spirit. So the satellite in the night sky is mistaken by the Magi for the true star of Bethlehem.

      "A rabbit sacrifices people during our Easter" - This ties back to the earlier mention of Tammuz. Easter is the Christian celebration of death and resurrection, of our savior (not Tammuz!). And the rabbit is a pagan fertility motif that has been incorporated into Easter (the Easter Bunny). So this image is a reversal. At Easter, Jesus is sacrificed for the people. Bly says, though, a rabbit sacrifices people. In other words, the order of things is turned upside down and the pagan, primitive forces unleashed from the earth (peat bog man, the Snakes, iron) lead to a bloody sacrifice of our own people.

      Yes, a rabbit sacrifices people. instead of the other way around..from earliest times, animal sacrifices were used as offerings to the gods. An animal would be slaughtered in a highly ritualized way and burned on the sacred altar.  Christianity substituted a person for the animal, the very son of God, as the sacrifice. The Christian ceremony of Communion incorporates this, in ritual of eating Christ's body and drinking his blood.

      In either case, the sacrifice is a "scapegoat", sacrificed for the good of the community. Scapegoats were also banished rather than sacrificed, thrown out of the camp. Modern American politics seems to need scapegoats at all times, such as Saddam Hussein and Osama bin Laden. These are both men whom we armed and trained before banishing them from our camp. The problem now is, these scapegoats have now scapegoated us, blaming Americans for their ills and seeking to sacrifice us to heal their own land.

      The last stanza of the poem says "It seemed like spring had come at last". In this late-winter time, when we are tired of what has been a cold and snowy winter,  the coming of spring might be accompanied with an unleashing of horrors. We Americans have to be very careful to note who is scapegoating whom, to note the blood that is spilled into the earth of our enemy's fields, to note if we are participating in some collective hankering for disaster that could prove our undoing.

      David Hodges

      _____________________________________

      Gene Poole  NDS

                Greg Goode wrote:
      Of course the makeup of any person is not the person. I, you, whatever, is not
      the person, is not the teacup or telephone. This is the freedom, and it's
      here, there, everywhere, nowhere-not. The person is not made up of a person,
      but of concepts, relations, colors, textures, surfaces, sounds, images and
      other stuff. And these things themselves aren't made up of just themselves
      either. They are in turn dependent on other things, which are in turn related
      to other things. Start a thread anywhere and it leads everywhere. The very
      wandering of the mind will give a clue to this..... This lack of fixed
      identity, lack of concrete nature is the freedom. Imagine if a person really
      were a person and just that, nothing else. That would be fixed, rigid,
      set-in-stone, and unchangeable. THAT would be lack of freedom.

      Well stated, Greg...

      Here is a link to a very unusual online book, which just happens
      to deal with this very aspect, to a depth that would place it among
      the Vedas, in my opinion.

      CAUTION! This is reading material for the mature (over 21) and
      stable person. Contains 'adult' material, vivid descriptions of
      despair, happiness, enlightenment, and violence. This book could
      be called 'Matrix: ProGenesis', but its actual name is:

      "The Metamorphosis of Prime Intellect"

      <
      http://www.kuro5hin.org/prime-intellect/>

      You may read the book online, or download
      the ZIP file.

      CAUTION: Contains POSTLARVAL concepts!

      ==Gene Poole==

      _____________________________________

      Daily Dharma

      Dears:
      This is longer than the usual DailyDharma quote, but thought, in these
      troubled times, it might be fine to consider a point of view on going to
      war by a well-known and highly respected Buddhist monk, scholar and
      author, who wrote the excerpt below in 1958.  love, dg

      "There can be no peace or happiness for man as long as he desires and
      thirsts after conquering and subjugating his neighbor. As the Buddha
      says, 'The victor breeds hatred, and the defeated lies down in misery.
      He who renounces both victory and defeat is happy and peaceful.' The
      only conquest that brings peace and happiness is self-conquest. 'One may
      conquer millions in battle, but he who conquers himself, only one, is
      the greatest of conquerors.'

      You will say this is all very beautiful, noble and sublime, but
      impractical. Is it practical to hate another? To kill one another? To
      live in eternal fear like wild animals in a jungle? Is this more
      practical and comfortable? Was hatred ever appeased by hatred? Was evil
      ever won over by evil? But there are examples, at least in individual
      cases, where hatred is appeased by loving-kindness, and evil won over by
      goodness.

      You will say this may be so, practical in individual cases, but it never
      works in national and international affairs. People are hypnotized,
      psychologically puzzled, blinded and deceived by the political and
      propaganda usage of such terms as 'national', 'international', or
      'state'. What is a state but a vast conglomeration of individuals? A
      nation or a state does not act, it is the individual who acts. What the
      individual thinks and does, the state or nation thinks and does. What is
      applicable to the individual is applicable to the state. If hatred can
      be appeased by love and kindness by the individual, surely it can be
      realized on the national and international scale too..

      Even in the case of a single person, to meet hatred with kindness one
      must have tremendous courage, boldness, faith, and confidence in moral
      force. May it not be even more so in regard to international affairs? If
      by the expression 'not practical' you mean 'not easy,' you are right.
      Definitely it is not easy. Yet it should be tried.  You may say it is
      risky trying it. Surely it can not be more risky than trying a nuclear
      war." ~ Ven. Walpola Rahula

      From the book, "What The Buddha Taught," published by Grove Press.
      _____________________________________

      XAN  Million Paths

      Understand this if nothing else:
      spiritual freedom and oneness with the Tao
      are not randomly bestowed gifts,
      but the rewards of conscious self-transformation
      and self-evolution.

      -
      The Hua Hu Ching
      _____________________________________

      Viorica Weissman  Million Paths

         Forgetful one , get up !
         It's dawn , time to start searching.

         Open your wings and lift .
         Give like the blacksmith
         even breath to the bellows.

         Tend the fire that changes
         the shape of metal.

         Alchemical work begins at dawn,
         as you walk out to meet the Friend.

                     Lalla, Naked Song
                     tr- Coleman Barks

      _____________________________________

      Terry Murphy  SufiMystic

      from "The Essential Rumi," rumi/barks, p239-243

      *Green Ears*

      There was a long drought. Crops dried up.
      The vineyard leaves turned black.

      People were gasping and dying like fish
      thrown up on the shore and left there.
      But one man was always laughing and smiling.

      A group came and asked,
      'Have you no compassion for the suffering?'

      He answered, 'To your eyes this is a drought.
      To me, it is a form of God's joy.

      Everywhere in this desert I see green corn
      growing waist high, a sea-wilderness
      of young ears greener than leeks.

      I reach to touch them.
      How could I not?

      You and your friends are like the Pharaoh
      drowning in the Red Sea of your body's blood.
      Become friends with Moses, and see this other riverwater.'

      When you think your father is guilty of an injustice,
      his face looks cruel. Joseph, to his envious brothers,
      seemed dangerous. When you make peace with your father,
      he will look peaceful and friendly. The whole world
      is a form for truth.

      When someone does not feel grateful
      to that, the forms appear to be *as he feels*.
      They mirror his anger, his greed, and his fear.
      Make peace with the universe. Take joy in it.

      It will turn to gold. Resurrection
      will be now. Every moment,
      a new beauty.

      And never any boredom!
      Instead this abundant, pouring
      noise of many springs in your ears.

      The tree limbs will move like people dancing,
      who suddenly know what the mystical life is.

      The leaves snap their fingers like they're hearing music.
      They are! A sliver of mirror shines out
      from under a felt covering. Think how it will be
      when the whole thing is open to the air and the sunlight!

      There are some mysteries that I'm not telling you.
      There's so much doubt everywhere, so many opinions
      that say, 'What you announce may be true
      in the future, but not now.'
      But this form of universal truth that I see
      says,
                *This is not a prediction. This is here
      in this instant, cash in the hand!*

      This reminds me of the sons of Uzayr,
      who were out on the road looking for their father.
      They had grown old, and their father had miraculously
      grown young! They met him and asked, 'Pardon us, sir,
      but have you seen Uzayr? We heard that he's supposed
      to be coming along this road today.'

      'Yes,' said Uzayr, 'he's right behind me.'
      One of the sons replied, 'That's good news!'

      The other fell on the ground.
      He had recognized his father.

      'What do you mean *news!* We're already inside
      the sweetness of his presence.'

      To your minds there is such a thing as *news*,
      whereas to the inner knowing, it's all
      in the middle of its happening.

      To doubters, this is a pain.
      To believers, it's a gospel.
      To the lover and the visionary,
      it's life as it's being lived!

      The rules of faithfulness
      are just the door and the doorkeeper.
      They keep the presence from being interrupted.

      Being unfaithful is like the outside of a fruit peeling.
      It's dry and bitter because it's facing away from the center.
      Being faithful is like the inside of the peeling,
      wet and sweet. But the place for peelings
      is the fire. The real inside is beyond 'sweet'
      and 'bitter.' It's the source of deliciousness.

      This can't be said. I'm drowning in it!

      Turn back! And let me cleave a road through water
      like Moses. This much I will say,
      and leave the rest hidden:

      Your intellect is in fragments, like bits of gold
      scattered over many matters. You must scrape them
      together, so the royal stamp can be pressed into you.

      Cohere, and you'll be as lovely as Samarcand
      with its central market, or Damascus. Grain by grain,
      collect the parts. You'll be more magnificent
      than a flat coin. You'll be a cup
      with carvings of the king
      around the outside.

      The Friend will become bread and springwater for you,
      a lamp and a helper, your favorite dessert
      and a glass of wine.
                                    Union with that one
      is grace. Gather the pieces,
      so I can show you what is.

      That's what talking is for,
      to help us to be One. Manyness
      is having sixty different emotions.
      Unity is peace, and silence.

      I know I ought to be silent,
      but the excitement of this keeps opening
      my mouth as a sneeze or a yawn does.

      Muhammed says, *I ask forgiveness seventy times a day*,
      and I do the same. Forgive me, forgive my talking
      so much. But the way God makes mysteries *manifest*
      quickens and keeps the flow of words in me continual.

      A sleeper sleeps while his bedclothes drink in
      the riverwater. The sleeper dreams of running around
      looking for water and pointing in the dream to mirages,
      'Water! There! There!' It's that *There!*
      that keeps him asleep. *In the future, in the distance*,
      those are illusions. Taste the *here* and the *now* of God.

      The present thirst is your real intelligence,
      not the back-and-forth, mercurial brightness.
      Discursiveness dies and gets put in the grave.

      This contemplative joy does not.
      Scholarly knowledge is a vertigo,
      an exhausted famousness.
      Listening is better.

      Being a teacher is a form of desire,
      a lightning flash. Can you ride to Wahksh,
      far up the Oxus River, on a streak of lightning?

      Lightning is not guidance.
      Lightning simply tells the clouds to weep.
      Cry a little. The streak-lightning of our minds
      comes so that we'll weep and long for our real lives.

      A child's intellect says, 'I should go to school.'
      But that intellect cannot teach itself.

      A sick person's mind says, 'Go to the doctor,'
      but that doesn't cure the patient.

      Some devils were sneaking up close to heaven
      trying to hear the secrets, when a voice came,
      'Get out of here. Go to the world. Listen
      to the prophets!' Enter the house through the door.
      It's not a long way. You are empty reeds,
      but you can become sugarcane again,
      if you'll listen to the guide.

      When a handful of dirt was taken from the hoofprint
      of Gabriel's horse and thrown inside the golden calf,
      the calf lowed! That's what the guide can do
      for you. The guide can make you *live*.

      The guide will take your falcon's hood off.
      Love is the falconer, your king.

      Be trained by that. Never say, or think,
      'I am better than...whoever.'

      That's what Satan thought.
      Sleep in the spirit tree's peaceful shade,
      and never stick your head out from that green.

      terry

      ps  ibid p243

      Birdsong brings relief
      to my longing.