Friday, February 14, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 15, 2003

      "STRANGE GAME.

        THE ONLY WINNING MOVE IS NOT TO PLAY."

      Uttered by Joshua, the computer simulation in the movie
      "War Games" after trying to find a way to "win" at nuclear war.

      ~Joyce  NDS

      Would that even today you knew the things that make for peace.
      Luke 19:42

      Huge Europe protests move to U.S.

      LONDON, England (CNN) -- Millions took to the streets of Europe
      to protest against a rush to war with Iraq in huge demonstrations
      later repeated in the United States.
      ********
      The biggest demonstrations seen in Europe for years were
      part of marches by millions across the globe, from the
       Antarctic to Iceland.  (Full story)
      ********
      An estimated 200,000 demonstrators converged near the
      United Nations to protest the possible war -- just one of
       the more than 600 antiwar rallies around the globe Saturday.

      Issue #1350 - Friday, February 14, 2003 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      Thoughts on War and Peace

      Nothing could be worse than the fear that one had given up too soon, and left one unexpended effort that might have saved the world.  Jane Addams
      It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.  Alfred Adler

      When you're finally up on the moon, looking back at the earth, all these differences and nationalistic traits are pretty well going to blend and you're going  to get a concept that maybe this is really one world and why the hell can't we  learn to live together like decent people?  Frank Borman, astronaut

      We do not inherit the earth from our fathers. We borrow it from our children.  David Bower

      We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the Sermon on the Mount. Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war  than we know about peace, more about killing that we know about living.  General Omar Bradley

      Better than a thousand hollow words, Is one word that brings peace.  Buddha

      Until we have the courage to recognize cruelty for what it is--whether its victim is human or animal--we cannot expect things to be much better in this world... We  cannot have peace among men whose hearts delight in killing any living creature. By every act that glorifies or even tolerates such moronic delight in killing we set back the progress of humanity.  Rachel Carson

      What good is it to me that Mary gave birth to the son of God fourteen hundred  years ago, and I do not also give birth to the Son of God in my time and in my culture? We are all meant to be mothers of God. God is always needing to be born.  Meister Eckhart

      We must be prepared to make heroic sacrifices for the cause of peace that we make ungrudgingly for the cause of war. There is no task that is more important or closer to my heart.   Albert Einstein

      While you are proclaiming peace with your lips, be careful to have it even more fully in your heart.  St. Francis of Assisi

      We are going to have to find ways of organizing ourselves cooperatively,sanely, scientifically, harmonically and in regenerative spontaneity with the rest of humanity around the earth.... We are not going to be able to operate our spaceship earth successfully nor for much longer unless we see it as a whole spaceship and our fate as common.  Buckminster Fuller

      When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall -- think of it, ALWAYS!   Mahatma Gandhi

      The gloom of the world is but a shadow. Behind it, yet within reach, is joy. There is radiance and glory in the darkness, could we but see, and to see, we have only to look. I beseech you to look.  From a letter written by Fra Giovanni, 1513

      Peace is a gift,
      It is a gift we give to ourselves,
      And then to each other.
      Richard Goode, Founder, "2 Billion Voices for Peace" project, Australia

      The first essential characteristics of nonviolent action is that it is creative.  Hildegarde Goss-Mayr

      The pursuit of peace and progress cannot end in a few years in either victory or defeat. The pursuit of peace and progress, with its trials and errors, its successes and setbacks, can never be relaxed and never abandoned. Dag Hammarskjold (1905-1961)Former UN General Secretary

      Smiling is very important. If we are not able to smile, then the world will not have peace. It is not by going out for a demonstration against nuclear missiles that we can bring about peace. It is with our capacity of smiling, breathing, and being peace that we can make peace.  Thich Nhat Hanh

      Nuclear war is inevitable, says the pessimists; Nuclear war is impossible, says the optimists; Nuclear war is inevitable unless we make it impossible, says the realists.  Sydney J. Harris

      I really see no other solution than to turn inwards and to root out all the rottenness there. I no longer believe that we can change anything in the world until we first change ourselves. And that seems to me the only lesson to be learned from this war.  Etty Hillesum (concentration camp victim)

      It's a bit embarrassing to have been concerned with the human problem all one's life and find at the end that one has no more to offer by way of advice than "try to be a little better."  Aldous Huxley

      It is reasonable that every one who asks justice should do justice.  Thomas Jefferson

      The means by which we live have outdistanced the ends for which we live. Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men.  Martin Luther King, Jr

      Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal.  Martin Luther King, Jr.

      If it were proved to me that in making war, my ideal had a chance of being realized, I would still say "No" to war. For one does not create human society on mounds of corpses.  Louis Lecoin, French pacifist leader

      I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends.  Abraham Lincoln

      Peace is more important than all justice; and peace was not made for the sake of justice, but justice for the sake of peace. Martin Luther (1483-1546)

      The belief in the possibility of a short decisive war appears to be one of the most ancient and dangerous of human illusions.  Robert Lynd (1879-1949), Anglo-Irish essayist, journalist

      Nonviolence doesn't always work -- but violence never does.  Madge Michaels-Cyrus

      There is no way to peace. Peace is the way.  A.J. Muste

      If we don't stop the bomb who will take care of the flowers?  Neil J., Seattle, Age 9

      Poetry is an act of peace. Peace goes into the making of a poet as flour goes into the making of bread.  Pablo Neruda, Memoirs (Confieso Que He Vivido: Memorias) (1974)

      When men talk about defense, they always claim to be protecting women and children, but they never ask the women and children what they think.  Pat Schroeder, American politician and feminist

      Past the seeker as he prayed came the crippled and the beggar and the beaten. And seeing them...he cried, "Great God, how is it that a loving creator can see such things and yet do nothing about them?"...God said, "I did do something. I made you."  Sufi Teaching

      To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.  Sun Tzu

      Peace is not the absence of conflict but the presence of creative alternatives for responding to conflict -- alternatives to passive or aggressive responses, alternatives to violence.  Dorothy Thompson

      What good is a house, if you haven't got a decent planet to put it on?  Henry David Thoreau

      The law of violence is not a law, but a simple fact which can only be a law when it does not meet with protest and opposition. It is like the cold, darkness and weight, which people had to put up with until recently when warmth, illumination and leverage were discovered....  Leo Tolstoy

      I swore never to be silent whenever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.  Elie Weisel

      In 1989, thirteen nations comprising 1,695,000 people experienced nonviolent revolutions that succeeded beyond anyone's wildest expectations . . . If we add all the countries touched by major nonviolent actions in our century (the Philippines, South Africa . . . the independence movement in India . . .) the figure reaches 3,337,400,000, a staggering 65% of humanity! All this in the teeth of the assertion, endlessly repeated, that nonviolence doesn't work in the 'real' world. Walter Wink

      selections from 352 quotes at:  http://www.salsa.net/peace/quotes.html

      THESE BEAUTIFUL LOVE GAMES

      Young lovers wisely say,

      “Let’s try it from this angle,
      Maybe something marvelous will happen,

      Maybe three suns and two moons
      Will roll out
      From a hiding place in the body
      Our passion has yet to ignite.”

      Old lovers say,
      “We can do it one more time,
      How about from this longitude
      And latitude –

      Swinging from a rope tied to the ceiling,

      Maybe a part of God
      Is still hiding in a corner of your heart
      Our devotion has yet to reveal.”

      Bottom line:

      Do not stop playing
      These beautiful
      Love
      Games.

      (“The Gift” – versions of Hafiz by Daniel Ladinsky)

      Web archive of Panhala postings at www.Panhala.net/Archive/Index.html

      Ed Jason  Sufi Mystic

      LOVE BUDDHA
      http://tooting.webspace.fish.co.uk/love/
      SUFI VERSION
      http://tooting.webspace.fish.co.uk/love/sufi.html

             "Are there simple, basic practices even beginners can do, even
      learned on the internet and practiced at home with just internet friends to
      share with?"

      s2o ~ goes live today ~ those wishing to register for virtual practice
      http://tooting.webspace.fish.co.uk/s2o/

      Deep Well - new internet group including Buddhists, poets
      http://pages.britishlibrary.net/edjason/deep/

      Nasrudin - old internet group now owned by a Buddhist
      http://pages.britishlibrary.net/lobster/nasrudin/

      Forum including Buddhists, Moslems, ex-buddhists and chocolate lovers
      blank email to:
      Chishtiyya-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Practices of the Friends
      http://pages.britishlibrary.net/edjason/friends/

      --------------------
      William C. Chittick, SUNY Press, 1992, Part four.
      "You imagined that you would accomplish this task through your
      own strength, activity and effort. This is the Wont that I have
      established: Expend whatever you have in Our way. Then
      Our bounty will come to you. In this endless road, We
      command you to travel with your own feeble hands and feet.
      We know you cannot traverse this way with feet so feeble.
      Indeed, in a hundred thousand years you will not arrive at the
      first waystation. However when you travel this road until your
      legs are exhausted and you fall down flat, until you have no
      more strength to move forward, then God's grace will take you
      in its arms."