Saturday, February 8, 2003

  • John Metzger
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 9, 2003
      NDhighlights #1344
      Saturday, February 8, 2003

      "War is both father and king of all.... It shall be understood that war is the common condition, that strife is justice and that all things come to pass through strife."

      So wrote Heralcitus, who lived in Ephesus in the 6th Century BC.

      At what stage is it right to defend ourselves? Do we wait for a chemical attack? Or do we strike now? If the USA and Britain had squashed the Nazis in 1937 they might have saved 11 million lives. Who knows, perhaps the Japanese might not have attacked Pearl Harbour.

      Maybe

      Maybe

      so many maybes.

      My heart goes out to those pursuing world peace through pacifism but I ask myself, when would I step in to save the life of my tender four-year-old son? When the wolves are at the door? At the end of the street? Or still up in the hills?

      It is very difficult to see all ends. Violence begets more violence and if we want to break that cycle we have to start somewhere. When should that start happen I wonder? I salute the pacifists. My heart is with them but my eyes are on the hills . . . .

      I have not come to terms with this bottom line - what would I do to defend my wife and son? Even more pressing on my mind right now, is when would I do it? I lack the courage of a Ghandi because I could not watch my wife and son suffer whilst I renounce violence. Perhaps that is what it takes, when enough of us find that courage, perhaps then we will have the critical mass to install a long-term peace.

      As John Lennon said:

      "What if they gave a war and no one came?"

      even so, my eyes are on the hills . . . . .

      Dave Mason   LiveJournal

      rejuvenation   LiveJournal

      So many thought provoking comments recently - reflections that go on both loudly and silently between men, women and young people. All concerned, angry, upset, indifferent or some other emotion... myself included. I don't think there has ever been another time in my life that I have ever felt so unsure of the future as now. I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing. Everything I have leaned toward trying to reach with my spiritual being - of being present and not looking forward or back... is before me and so many others as well. The 9/11 - the wars and rumors of war - the distrust - the alerts - the general fear and uncertainity - the stuckness. It's awful. It's ugly. I don't like it... but there is nothing I can do about it... in and of myself to change what "Is". The more I reflect, the more stuck I become. So, what to do? All along - the "good words" from the wise Sages, we embrace only when things are going smoothly? They where so easy to follow then, but now what? What should happen when the alert color changes? Does the "within" change to? Does it revert to the "old man/every man for himself" or does it become invisible? All these questions that circle my mind... and then I keep hearing a tiny voice that tries to be heard over all that other mind chatter saying that the only way the true self will ever know the right answer - is in it's silence. Peace within myself. I have no authority over anything else.

      viorica   HarshaSatsangh

      An educated visitor asked Bhagavan about dvaita and advaita.

      Maharshi :

      Identification with the body is dvaita .
      Non-identification is advaita.

      from Talks with Ramana Maharshi ,
      InnerDirections Publishing , 2000
      page 34

      Sandeep   being_one

      Things To Do At Wal-Mart While You Wait For Your Family To Shop

        1. Get boxes of condoms & randomly put them in peoples' carts when they
      aren't looking.

        2. Set all the alarm clocks to go off at 10-minute intervals.

        3. Make a trail of orange juice on the floor to the rest rooms.

        4. Walk up to an employee and tell him/her in an official tone, "I think
      we have a code 3 in housewares," and see what happens.

        5. Put some M&M's on lay away.

        6. Move CAUTION WET FLOOR signs to carpet areas.

        7. Set up a tent in the camping department, tell others you'll only invite
      them in if they bring pillows from the bedding department.

        8. When someone asks if they can help you, begin to cry and ask, "Why
      won't you people leave me alone."

        9. Look right into the security camera and use it as a mirror while you
      pick your nose.

        10. Dart around suspiciously while humming the theme from 'Mission
      Impossible.'

        11. While handling guns in the hunting department ask the clerk if he
      knows where the anti-depressants are.

        12. In the auto department practice your Madonna look using different size
      funnels.

        13. Hide in the clothing rack and when people browse through whisper "PICK
      ME! PICK ME!!!!!"

        14. When an announcement comes over the loud speaker assume the fetal
      position and scream "NO! NO! It's those voices again!"

        15. Go to the fitting room and yell real loud....."Hey we're out of toilet
      paper in here!"

      Dan Berkow   Consciousness Is All

      I can't set out to do meditation, because I am then
      pursuing a thing I call meditation, or a state.

      I can't do nothing to meditate, because then
      my not doing anything becomes the thing I am pursuing.

      The same is true for understanding, or silence.

      Meditation then is nonpursuit of anything,
      in which nonpursuit is not avoidance of pursuing --
      the nonpursuit is one's natural condition,
      uncontaminated by concept-as-if-real.

      This objectless being involves no subject, nor subjectivity.

      This is peace. That nothing was ever done to
      anything by anyone or anything, nor ever could
      be.

      It is said that Buddha once indicated that if you have even just heard
      about the concept of Enlightenment, you are in the final 7
      incarnations prior to Realization. He was a meditator right up to and
      including his last lifetime before Enlightenment. There is a concept
      that goes something like " You are already Enlightened, and need not
      seek anything; you don't have to meditate, just look deeply at what
      is". Looking deeply at what is, is meditation. Don't be afraid to call
      it that, or be fearful of being a "seeker", or looking for or having a
      Guru, as if these things are something to be ashamed of. It's all a
      part of your spiritual evolution. And that has been going on for
      hundreds of thousands of lifetimes. Now, after millions of
      millenniums, you are in the last few hundred years of finally reaching
      your goal. And yes, you will then live happily ever after.

      Peace and blessings,
      Bob Rose, President,
      Meditation Society of America
      http:www.meditationsociety.com

      It won't be a surprise, the word "politician" is like the proverbial manna for
      the aficionados of anagrams:

      smart politicians - patriots in claims - minor capitalists
      honest politicians - halt! nice positions
      active politicians - tip: anti-social vice
      male politician - O, illicit apeman!
      lazy politicians - illicit zany soap
      president - nested rip
      honest president - serpent hedonist
      democracy is... - icy comrades
      government is.... - given monster

      dumb politicians - dim publications

      :-)
      Jan   NDS

      Realization is a word, a toy, that
      people like to throw around and play with,
      sometimes enthusiastically, sometimes not.

      Enthusiasm fades, as do all qualities attached
      to a human being, as does the formulation of
      "human being" ...

      Words are given about realization, not because
      there is any happening called realization,
      nor because something needs to be said
      about it.

      Words are given only because a word may dissolve
      a stuckness in concept-as-if-real.

      The truth of realization is neither an activity
      nor an event -- so the word realization
      is utterly misleading -- there is no realization.

      Generally, tendencies are moving along through time,
      forming a being "as if" -- on an ongoing basis.

      For the dissolution of the "as if" attempt, the
      conglomeration of hopes, fears, desires --
      for the ceasing of the intent to continue ...

      Well, that can't possibly be a space-time event.

      A word is a space-time event.

      Although there is nothing that can be said or
      done to be awake, to be who one actually is
      not existing within the imagined placement of
      an experiential locale --

      It wouldn't be correct to say "do nothing"
      or "realize there is nothing to do" --

      Either of those are merely a reaction against
      space-time activity, and so are also
      conditioned and conditional.

      This is why words are offered.

      Many will banter words around about day
      to day life events, or concepts about
      something they think occurs for someone
      as "realization."

      To know, such that one's knowing and being
      are one, and there is no knowing to have,
      nor being to express --

      That is a rare understanding, indeed.

      There is no form of knowing, being, or
      doing which is not included.

      This occurs beyond the relationship factors
      of day-to-day being, doing, and word exchange --
      without occurring or being perceived --
      yet not in any way a lack of something
      occurring or being perceived ...

      One could say "no subject or
      object" as "totality awareness of/as *is*"

      Thanks for sharing your inquiry.

      Dan Berkow   Realization
      Alan Kuntz replies:

      Well how about transformation?Is there a wish to be transformed?
      If not a wish or desire to be enlightened which is simply 3rd state self reflective self consciousness  for most of us I guess there wouldn’t be anything to realize.

      Realization is not a toy or a game..We all enter this game with motivation at least towards friendship, community .
      The word church means Dialogue
      and so in light of this list or other list we dialogue about the self and what self means and we talk about the many various selfs.Just let your selfs out and there will be a lot to realize and you might not even like it LOL.

      Dan replies:

      Transformation turns something into something else.

      Realization doesn't change something into something
      else.

      All somethings drop because they never have been.

      Including any experiential qualities that could
      be called "realizing" ...

      Yet your day to day life is not interfered
      with in any way whatsoever.

      Gill   SufiMystic

      Views on Incongruity

      Spend a little time thinking about incongruity; about deliberate incongruity.

      First consider the little-recognised fact that exposure to deliberate
      incongruity enables one to become used to new and unfamiliar things rapidly. New
      things often seem incongruous, however important they ultimately prove to be.
      The capacity to see beyond incongruity can be equal to the ability to adjust.

      Second, realise that incongruity, if you can become accustomed to encountering
      it, may stimulate your inner senses, and help them to work on a higher level.
      Most people do not allow themselves to face incongruity when it appears at
      random in their lives. They avoid it and thus rob themselves of the stimulating
      effect which it can have.

      From 'Knowing how to Know ' Idries Shah

      Updated website

      The February TAT Forum is now available at