Friday, February 7, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 8, 2003

      Why are you so afraid of silence,
      silence is the root of everything.
      If you spiral into its void
      a hundred voices will thunder messages
      you long to hear.

      (Rumi - 'Hidden Music' - Maryam Mafi & Azima Melita Kolin)
      from Sufi Poetry

      Issue #1343 - Friday, February 7, 2003 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      Gill Eardley  Rumi-Hafiz

      Unseen Rain
      by Rumi

      My work is to carry this love
      as comfort for those who long for You;
      to go everywhere You've walked
      and gaze at the pressed-down dirt.

      What I most want
      is to spring out of this personality,
      then to sit apart from that leaping.
      I've lived too long where I can be reached.

      Who says the eternal being does not exist?
      Who says the sun has gone out?
      Someone who climbs up on the roof,
      and closes his eyes tight, and says,
      --I don't see anything.

      ......With one silent laugh
      You tilted the night
      and the garden ran with stars.

      ~Rumi
      from 'UNSEEN RAIN'  Coleman Barks and John Moyne

      Anaand Supraath  Sufi Mystic

      The present is almost always a hell: you can prolong this hell only because of the hope
      that you have projected into the future. You can live today because of the tomorrow. You
      are hoping something is going to happen tomorrow -- some doors of paradise will open
      tomorrow. They never open today, and when tomorrow will come it will not come as
      tomorrow, it will come as today, but by that time your mind has moved again. You go on
      moving ahead of you: this is what dreaming means. You are not one with the real, that
      which is nearby, that which is here and now, you are somewhere else -- moving ahead,
      jumping ahead.

      And that tomorrow, that future, you have named it in so many ways. People call it
      heaven, some people call it moksha, but it is always in the future. Somebody is thinking
      in terms of wealth, but that wealth is going to be in the future. And somebody is thinking
      in terms of paradise, and that paradise is going to be after you are dead -- far away in the
      future. You waste your present for that which is not: this is what dreaming means. You
      cannot be here and now. To be just in the moment seems to be arduous.

      You can be in the past, because again that is dreaming -- memories, remembrance of
      things which are no more -- or you can be in the future, which is projection, which again
      is creating something out of the past. The future is nothing but the past projected again --
      more colorful, more beautiful, more pleasant, but it is the past refined.

      You cannot think anything other than the past: the future is nothing but the past projected
      again -- and both are not. The present is, but you are never in the present. This is what
      dreaming means. And Nietzsche is right when he says that man cannot live with the truth.
      He needs lies, he lives through lies. Nietzsche says that we go on saying that we want
      the truth, but no one wants it. Our so-called truths are nothing but lies, beautiful lies. No
      one is ready to see the naked reality.

      This mind cannot enter on the path of Yoga because Yoga means a methodology to
      reveal the truth. Yoga is a method to come to a non-dreaming mind. Yoga is the science
      to be in the here and now. Yoga means now you are ready not to move into the future.
      Yoga means now you are ready not to hope, not to jump ahead of your being .

      Osho

      Dear Fellow Reader:

      The February TAT Forum is now available at
      http://www.tatfoundation..org/forum.htm. This month's contents include:

      The Path (part 4) by Richard Rose | What Are You Looking For? by Bob Cergol |
      Both by Thought and Feeling by Franklin Merrell-Wolff | The Boundless Empty
      Field by Gary Harmon | Words... or Experience? by Bob Fergeson | Poems by Shawn
      Nevins | The Ultimate Career by Shawn Nevins | Humor | Reader Commentary

      Good reading wishes to you,
      The Forum staff

      Terry Murphy  Sufi Mystic

      Do not seek fame.  Do not make plans.
      Do not be absorbed by activities.  Do
      not think that you know.  Be aware of
      all that is and dwell in the infinite.
      Wander where there is no path.  Be all
      that heaven gave you, but act as though
      you have received nothing.  Be empty,
      that is all.
            The mind of a perfect man is like
      a mirror.  It grasps nothing.  It expects
      nothing.  It reflects but does not hold.
      Therefore, the perfect man can act
      without effort.

      from "Chuang-tzu: Inner Chapters" (feng/english)

      Dear Friends,

      Our Dear fellow poet and Zen friend, Michael Garofalo,
      has put the website up with the entire complete and edited versions
      of the 300 Missing Poems of Han Shan that b and i have been working
      on for many months now. If you'd like to take a peek, go to -

      http://www.egreenway..com/HanShan/oindex.htm

      We hope you enjoy!

      LoveAlways,

      Mazie & b

      ~~~~~~

      Han Shan and Shih-te
      Painting by Tensho Shubun
      Japan, 1460

      Han Shan was a Chinese hermit who lived in a world called Cold Mountain
      in the T'ien-t'ai Range that spans the coast of Chekiang Province, south of
      the Bay of Hangchow, in the late eighth or early ninth century. Mostly what
      we know of him originates from a mysterious intuition that is shared by that
      which is Free in all of us, and from a preface, written by a T'ang Dynasty
      official named Lu-ch'iu Yin, for Han Shan's collected Cold Mountain Poems:

      "He looked like a tramp. His body and face were old and beat. Yet in
      every word he breathed was a meaning in line with the subtle
      principles of things, if only you thought of it deeply. Everything he
      said had a feeling of the Tao in it, profound and arcane secrets. His
      hat was made of birch bark, his clothes were ragged and worn out, and
      his shoes were wood. Thus men who have made it hide their tracks:
      unifying categories and interpenetrating things."

      Lu-ch'iu Yin sent clean clothes and incense to Kuo-ch'ing Temple,
      near Cold Mountain, asking that the gifts be delivered to Han Shan
      and his friend Shih Teh. But on the approach of the messenger, Han
      Shan disappeared inside a mountain cave. Shih Teh vanished too.
      Lu-ch'iu Yin then asked the monks to collect any of the poems
      they left behind.

      Many claim that Han Shan was the incarnation of the Bodhisattva
      Manjusri. People say a lot of things, but Han Shan paid little mind
      to the opinions of dreamers and interpretations of myth-makers.

      Of his own poems he wrote:
      "Some might laugh at my poems,
      yet they are fine and fun!
      They need no commentary,
      nor any signatory.
      Why care if anybody reads
      them or not?
      I don't follow word laws,
      yet these poems have some light."
      -  Han Shan, Transliteration by Robert O'Hearn.

      Mary Bianco  NDS News

      Spirituality and Art

      By Jean Macleod le Cheminant
      Page 1 of 2

      Spirituality and ArtBeing inspired: it's something we've all tasted and want more of. It's "the touch of spirit on the body, a kiss we want with our whole lives," according to an ancient Persian song. Different traditions describe it in different ways: a moment of freedom, seeing more clearly, peace in the midst of a chaotic world. Whatever it is, it's a mystery that intrigues, tantalizes, and maybe even scares us.

      Every year artists in various media visit Hollyhock Centre, north of Vancouver, to practise their art in the company of others, while sharing some of its secrets and drawing inspiration from the beauty of the place. We met with several of these artists-a photographer, a dancer and storyteller, a musician, a Zen painter, and a singer--to discuss what spirit and art means to them.

      Opening the Path of Love
      Bruce Langhorne, or Brother Bru Bru as he's known on his hot sauce label, is an extraordinary musician, composer, and creator of Hollywood film scores. He assisted drummer Gordy Ryan at his workshop this year. Langhorne's recording credits since the 60s read like a who's who of North American music. He's perhaps best known for being the inspiration for Bob Dylan's classic "Mr Tambourine Man."
      "I have fingers missing on my right hand, which is a mixed blessing because it meant I had to find things to play that didn't rely on flash," says Langhorne. "That really helped me; it taught me the lesson that you're only partially your body. There's something inside, call it spirit, that transcends your vessel. When you open the path of love, whatever walks down that path for you, that's spirit."

      Al Larus  TrueVision

      The Blazing Pile

      This is everything I had within.

      Creeping and crawling
      under my skin.

      Cobwebs and dust,
      all swallowed by darkness.
      Its welcome did come.
      .
      This is written in the light
      of the pale pile gone.

      Now no smoke is here
      under a shining sun
      ,
      What is left is what is.
       It can be read by none.
      .

      Daily Dharma

      "It is very important to experience the complete
      negation of yourself, which brings you to the other
      side of nothing.  People experience that in many ways.
      You go the other side of nothing, and you are held by
      the hand of the absolute.  You see yourself as part of
      the absolute, so you have no more insistence of self
      as yourself. You can speak of self as no-self upon the
      absolute.  Only real existence is absolute." ~Kobun
      Chino Otokawa Roshi.

      From the article, "Earthquakes and Blossoms Appear,"
      published in "Buddhadharma," Winter 2002.

      Jerry Katz  NDS News

      NDS News may have arisen out of a discovered, but unarticulated resonance with the journalistic trend described in the following story. In the story below, McBride says, "As daunting as this may seem, there is great value in examining the religious beliefs of the individuals at the center of dramatic events. Through these people, we glimpse a universe endowed with meaning, waiting to be discovered."

      However, just as a degree from a school of journalism will not create a 'nose for news', a formal education in religious studies will not give a journalist an eye for the ineffable. Hence there could be value in the 'nondual journalist'. That is the one comfortable trekking in the intricate forests of religious traditions and practices, the one at home in the nondual core of major religions.

      There is a spiritual/religious side to news stories that is reported, and topics in religion and spirituality are reported as news. However, journalists could go deeper, which religious/spiritual study and practice would allow. On this list we  bring the spiritual side of news stories to light, with a dose of humor and irony. In this way we make a contribution to the development of spiritual journalism. Going further, I feel it would be valuable to submit articles on spiritual journalism.

      A Google search using keywords 'spiritual journalism' finds relevant links. These are all worth at least scanning:

      Thanks for being here,

      Jerry

      Seven Faiths
      Exploring religion in breaking news stories
      By Kelly McBride

      Over the last decade, religion and spirituality have gained a new foothold in American newsrooms.

      There is an element of faith in almost every news story and reporters are getting better every year at articulating this realm of life. When done well, there is great validity in this journalistic exploration. It invites the readers and viewers to chew on the themes of diversity, tolerance, collaboration, race, ethnicity and nationality.

      "Seven Heroes, Seven Faiths" read the headline. It was a simple piece of journalism, from a non-traditional news source, Beliefnet.

      It said so much. It gave equal time to the religious lives of each of the crew members who died on the Columbia. It documented that, in addition to the four Christians from four different traditions, there was a Hindu, a Unitarian Universalist and a Jew. It blended small details about each of the traveler's religious practices with a bit of theology from his or her religion.

      It was no surprise that journalists discovered the spiritual side of the Columbia Space Shuttle disaster early in the news cycle.

      Over the last decade, religion and spirituality have gained a new foothold in American newsrooms.

      There is an element of faith in almost every news story and reporters are getting better every year at articulating this realm of life. When done well, there is great validity in this journalistic exploration. It invites the readers and viewers to chew on the themes of diversity, tolerance, collaboration, race, ethnicity and nationality. In a world often divided by these differences, they tell the story of seven people brought together for a common purpose.

      Religion is after all a human quest for understanding. Although it is many other things, journalism too seeks to create understanding.When merely mediocre, stories about religion ring hollow in the public ear. When we misrepresent theology, generalize across varying sects, or paint with a broad brush when detail work is in order, we compromise our credibility.

      There is a temptation to gloss over the differences among the astronauts. It takes a particular skill with the language to accurately reflect the beliefs and practices of an individual or a faith community.
      While many journalists have the desire to delve into religious themes, they lack a basic understanding of how faith is practiced in everyday life. Likewise, journalists are lured into simplistic and inaccurate reporting on religious themes by the desire to create a world where differences -- rooted in ethnicity, gender and faith -- don't matter. That world doesn't exist.

      The astronauts didn't leave their differences behind as they boarded the shuttle. They brought them along in the concrete form of artifacts, special diets and religious mementoes, as well as in their very DNA.

      As daunting as this may seem, there is great value in examining the religious beliefs of the individuals at the center of dramatic events. Through these people, we glimpse a universe endowed with meaning, waiting to be discovered.

      Embedded in the saga of the Columbia and its seven doomed astronauts are themes as old as civilization itself, the pursuit of knowledge, the journey into the unknown and home again, the human aspiration to be close to God and the pride that accompanies accomplishment. Think of Eve and the apple, Icarus and his wings, the Tower of Babel, the Iliad and the Odyssey.

      Religion is after all a human quest for understanding. Although it is many other things, journalism too seeks to create understanding. By telling stories, we provoke our readers and viewers to see information in a new light, to ask new questions, to tolerate the ambiguity that comes with real life. We give the journey a name. We make it possible to join the travelers in their desire for enlightenment.

      Highlights/NDS Search: http://nonduality.com/search.htm
      Letters to the editors:NDhighlights-owner@yahoogroups.com