Sunday, January 26, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 27, 2003

      Issue #1331 - Sunday, January 26, 2003 - Editor: Jerry (Today's regular editor, Gloria, is on vacation in New Orleans.)

      It just is.

      An open abyss,

      the source of wisdom

      ever alive.

      Life itself.
      Tevon Dubois

      KATHY Sufi Mystic
      Salutations to Thakur, Guru, and Ma!
      M.--"Thakur used to say that the jiva goes only as far as
      Bhava. But Godmen like Chaitanya Deva and Thakur could
      attain Mahabhava and Prema.
      The company of sadhus is essential, for without it
      nothing can be attained.
      And then, what an arrangement! Did Thakur only talk of
      the company of sadhus? No, he created sadhus for the good
      of others. Such was his consideration for the devotees,
      for the world!
      Sadhus are like the head of the body of society. They
      direct it. Just as the head is the most superior part of
      the body, similarly sadhus are the most superior part of
      the body of society. These people sacrifice their life
      for teaching society.
      Those who keep company the company of sadhus have to
      their credit the tapasya of their previous lives. That's
      how they have been able to realize the value of the
      company of sadhus.
      Sadhus are persons who try to live with God day and
      night, like an advocate living with his lawsuits or a
      doctor with his patients. Similarly, the sadhus live with
      Hold on to the company of the sadhus, the rest will
      By holding the sadhus one realizes God."
      i've been privileged in my life to meet quite a few real
      sadhus (=dervishes). people who cultivated inner
      closeness to god, and it was their sole motivation. but
      surprisingly, most of them did not keep the outward look
      and manners of what is commonly termed "sadhu". and most
      of those appearing and presenting themselves as sadhus
      and dervishes were this only in appearance...
      Dear Y... :),
      you raise a good point that, in my experience of the
      world, seems to be overlooked much too often. (And I must
      stress this musing has nothing to do with Kathy's
      original posting or with any particular group of people.)
      I have noticed - much too often for my taste - that even
      some of the most spiritually "e(n)volved" people (such as
      diligent meditators, yoga and spiritual teachers,
      preachers etc.) often seem predisposed to look for, or
      accept, wisdom only in very conspicuously "different"
      fellow humans (often elderly - preferably bearded -
      creatures of the male persuasion...). There are also some
      other easy targets such as beggars and vagrants (and of
      course exotic "natives" from everywhere but our natural
      habitat). But how many people even consider looking for
      wisdom and enlightenment - let alone *recognize* it - in
      the 14 year old denim-clad boy next door, or in a homely
      housewife in the supermarket - or (especially) in a
      sexually attractive woman in a cafe..? (And by that, I
      don't mean abstract and generalized surmising that there
      might be a beazel of wisdom hidden somewhere in
      "everyone": I mean paying attention to what a specific
      teenager or housewife or "babe" are saying or doing. I
      mean recognizing words of true wisdom they are spoken in
      a supermarket - not during a lecture or from a book;
      recognizing acts of enlightenment in the setting of a bus
      stop or a shopping mall - not during a "spiritual
      gathering". I mean wisdom without quotation marks.)
      I do not need an answer to that. But it is not a
      rhetorical question, either. I would just like to - most
      respectfully - suggest this question for intimate
      pondering of every individual on this list (and
      elsewhere) who feels inclined to do so.
      I used to go window-shopping in the area of town
      frequented by many vagrants and derelicts. I always give
      them money when they ask (or instead, food, if I'm
      carrying any), as that approach frees me from making any
      decisions about who deserves and who doesn't; such
      decisions are often contaminated with my ego's
      judgmentalness, especially when one would prefer to stand
      upwind... Some of these people are really burned-out, and
      some surprisingly clear guidance has come through them at
      :) some years ago, when my kids were quite small, a
      begger approached our car stretching his hand, at the
      trafic lights at the entry to jerusalem. obviously i
      handed him some of the loose change which is always handy
      in a car. a friend sitting next to me remarked scornfuly:
      "why did you give this young junkee money? he should
      work! it will only enourage him!". i turned to my kids
      and said: "remember well: if life brings someone to
      stretch his hand out to you for help - give whatever you
      can, no matter how he looks. in india they say: 'the
      giver should be thankful'." and then turned to my friend:
      "who knows? maybe we prevented some old lady's bag being
      snatched with those few shekels..." i was happy to find
      out recently that they remember and apply this advice...
      "god hides a treasure in a ruin" rumi
      Sometimes, God's Beauty pours out of another human being
      without a syllable being spoken, as a kind of heady
      fragrance. I've experienced this being near a little
      toddler at a gathering of friends, an elderly woman with
      what appeared to be early senile dementia under the
      watchful and protective eye of her husband at the
      supermarket check-out line, a teenage boy who some might
      describe as mentally "slow" who clears tables at the
      local diner, a handsome young man opening his mail at the
      post office -- all kinds of people in all kinds of
      situations. God is awake or asleep in everyone just as we
      are, God willing, awake enough to recognize Him in them
      -- as well as within ourselves.

      from Daily Dharma
      "To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to one's family, to
      bring peace to all, one must first discipline and control one's own
      mind.  If a man can control his mind he can find the way to
      Enlightenment, and all wisdom and virtue will naturally come to him."
      ~~Bukkyo Dendo Kyokai

      From the book, "The Teaching of Buddha," published by Kosaido
      Printing Co., Ltd. Tokyo, Japan

      Gloria Lee

      Mississippi John Hurt
      We are visiting my husband's "roots" on the edge of the delta
      country near Greenwood Mississippi, like meeting his 94 year old
      Aunt Delia, who still shells all the pecans from the big tree in the
      yard and has survived some of her 8 children. We drove out to the
      old "Lee land" in the hill country, past tiny towns like Avalon and
      Teoc, on ancient dirt roads. His brother Billy still has some of the
      land there where he plans to build a cabin. The site where their
      grandfather's house was, tho it burned down, had a delapidated
      little house where Billy said Lucille, the sister of John Hurt had
      lived till recently. Once in a while the big black limo of some
      record executive would pull up and ask to see where John Hurt was
      buried. I listened to his records back in the 60's when the blues
      was revived and played along with folk songs. It was a nice
      connection to discover his family and my husband's had all known one
      another. We drove out to the little cemetery in the woods. Poor
      blacks of that era had no real perpetual care like cemeteries, but
      buried their people wherever they were given permission to dig some
      graves on someone's land, which was the Lee's grandfather's family
      back then. John's is at the back of the path thru the woods, with
      some other Hurts, and is one of the few (out of maybe 30) to have a
      real headstone. I'm glad he had a chance to know some fame in the
      last few years of his life and that his music was appreciated, but I
      love that he played it anyway his whole life in obscurity just for
      the love of making music. I'll send some photos of his grave in the
      woods when I get back, but they cannot convey the isolation and
      obscurity of the surrounding area.

      For anyone who may not know who John Hurt is, see these links.

      New Orleans Choux Fritters
      1/2 c. butter or margarine
      1 c. water, boiling
      1/4 tsp. salt
      1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
      4 eggs
      4 cups vegetable oil
      granulated sugar

      Melt butter in boiling water, add salt and flour and beat vigorously. Remove from fire as soon as mixture leaves side of pan. Transfer to mixer bowl, cool slightly. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.

      Heat oil to 375 degrees, dip tablespoon first in oil, then in batter and drop batter on paper towels. Roll in granulated sugar and serve hot. Yield: 3 dozen.

      Natural Perfumery

      The real wonderful quality Patchouli that I just adore smells of forest and
      nature and good earth, like the smell of the forest floor after it rains.
      Rich, deep and full of Mother Nature.