Monday, January 20, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 21, 2003
      San Francisco Anti War Rally 1/18/03

      Reflections on what rallies

      by Christiana Duranczyk (NDS)

      Yesterday, while at work, I stood at a
      window on the fourth floor of the
      San Francisco Main Library watching
      what may have been 200,000 people
      pouring like lava-flow into the Civic Center.
      Marchers having walked several miles -
      for peace; against this war; and for racial
      and political civility in our land and
      government - slowly poured into the
      several block wide plaza spilling as well
      into the 'ordinary' space of all the
      surrounding blocks.

      Perched from above we watched a blank
      canvas slowly paint itself with multi-hues
      as Beings of intention. The day was clear
      and pleasant to the senses and so it seemed
      was the ambiance of the participators. As I
      walked amidst the crowd, listening to celebrities
      (Martin Sheen) speak and two peace divas
      (Joan Baez, Bonnie Raitt) sing, I was an
      anonymous traveler amidst the diversity of our
      species. And it was good.. both the anonymity and
      the inclusivity.

      Here amidst the vibrant presentation of the spectrum
      of individuality was also a more vibrant pulsation of
      That which does not divide. The singularity of Love for
      country, family, world beings, planetary environment,
      and diversity was the touchstone grounding
      awareness perceived. I wondered, what might it be
      like if someone took the podium asking for a few
      silent minutes beyond rhetoric, positions, intentions,
      and emotions to notice the core pulsation of what
      was unnamable yet palpably perceivable in that
      moment as grace.

      It seems many who are attending such movements
      are on the precipice of realizing that what is arising in
      them is more than ideas and feelings. What would it
      take to nudge a large collective over the perspective
      edge of duality into the aperspectival empty-full
      heart? That might be nondual activism.

      From "A Letter From The Birmingham Jail"
      Daily Dharma

      "But though I was initially disappointed at being categorized as an
      extremist, as I continued to think about the matter I gradually gained a
      measure of satisfaction from the label. Was not Jesus and extremist for
      love: 'Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them
      that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and
      persecute you.' Was not Amos an extremist for justice: 'Let justice roll
      down like waters and righteousness like am ever-flowing stream.' Was not
      Paul an extremist for the Christian gospel: 'I bear in my body the marks
      of the Lord Jesus.' Was not Martin Luther an extremist: 'Here I stand; I
      cannot do otherwise, so help me God.' And John Bunyan: 'I will stay in
      jail to the end of my days before I make a butchery of my conscience.'
      And Abraham Lincoln: 'This nation cannot survive half slave and half
      free.' And Thomas Jefferson: 'We hold these truths to be self-evident,
      that all men are created equal . . . .'

      So the question is not whether we will be extremists, but what kind of
      extremists we will be. Will we be extremists for hate or for love? Will
      we be extremists for the preservation of injustice or for the extension
      of justice? In that dramatic scene on Calvery's hill three men were
      crucified. We must never forget that all three were crucified for the
      same crime -- the crime of extremism. Two were extremists for
      immorality, and thus fell below their environment. The other, Jesus
      Christ, was an extremist for love, truth, and goodness, and thereby rose
      above his environment. Perhaps the South, the nation, and the world are
      in dire need of creative extremists."
      ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

      Fireceremony
      Live Journal

      Peace?

      this was going to be a long post about peace, of the personal and collective variety

      but as usual every time I think about these things

      I become

      convinced

      that when the self knows it Self fully
      and there is no sense of lack
      no hurt from the past
      no feeling of boredom or incompleteness
      no need to seek and grasp
      just wholeness and oneness
      and gratitude and acceptance
      and knowing

      peace of the lasting kind

      follows automatically

      violence only breeds violence, that's easy to see
      what you most want to avoid comes back at you despite your countless countermeasures and carefully planned strategies
      there is no safety to be found
      when safety is the intention

      but if you seek the source of the fear, the wants, the boredom, the need for protection, you'll see that there is indeed little to fear, little to seek, little to protect and everything to gain

      Kalemachka
      Live Journal
      "Let us abandon reason like a horrible mine. Let us throw
      ourselves into the pit of the unknown, not because we are
      desperate; but to simply enrich the bottomless reservoirs
      of the absurd."

      Fillippo Tommaso Marinetti...A Futurist
      Manifesto, circa 1910

      Petros
      Petros-Truth
      "The 'me' cannot give itself up. All that it can do is be quiet; and it
      cannot be quiet without understanding the whole structure and the meaning of
      the 'me.' Either that structure and the meaning can be understood totally,
      immediately, or not at all; and that's the only way; there is no other way.
      If you say, 'I will practice, I will gradually work at it till the me dies,'
      then you have fallen into a different kind of trap, which is the same 'me.'"

      -- J. Krishnamurti

      Kalemachka
      Live Journal

      Yes! That's it! Story of my life in a nutshell:

      "You were not really a monkey unless you were raised in an interactive monkey environment."
      -- Neuroscientist Mary Harlow

      Metaline
      Live Journal
      You are in my head