Saturday, January 18, 2003

  • Christiana Duranczyk
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 19, 2003
      Nondual Highlights
      Issue #1322 -
      Saturday, January 18, 2003
      Editor note: having turned a corner where the stories
      of ordinary folks hold more vitality than scripture or
      words from pundits or sages, today's issue is simply
      a few... Life Stories.
      You are welcome to send me yours. Christiana

      Adventures at Rasa Ranch #100
      1/18/03 "The Big Numbo"
      Yesterday we took a family trip, an hour's drive down
      to the Office of Social Security. In the lobby it was
      Ananda's opinion that Zachary did not need a
      "numbo" and when we told her that she had one too,
      she asked if hers was five. She didn't have the
      faintest idea about what the government was, or even
      the United States for that matter.
      We stepped up to the counter with Zack's application
      all filled out and with his crispy, new birth certificate in
      hand, but we were lacking another required form of
      I.D. for the little guy. "Don't you have a hospital
      record?" the clerk asked us. "How about an
      immunization or doctor's report?" We shook our
      heads. He seemed to freeze, looking at us for a
      moment, and then asked us to excuse him. When he
      returned he was accompanied by a very
      professional-looking woman who had been seated at
      a desk in the back.
      "Maybe we can be exempt from these for our
      religious beliefs?" I asked her with my eyebrows up.
      She then informed us that a baptismal or church
      document would suffice. "We don't belong to a
      church," Jim said and I added, "We kind of do our
      own thing." She nodded and I could tell that, by then,
      the two of them were starting to get a kick out of us. I
      said, "We figured that if all this was for identification
      purposes we could just bring him in so you could see
      him." I held the baby up to the window and said, "This
      is Zack." "HI Zacky!!" Ananda suddenly burst forth
      and in such a joyous, high voice that the baby turned
      his head toward her and beamed like light rays
      shooting in every direction. We couldn't help it; Jim
      and I busted up in giggles.
      "Well," the woman said, "This is against policy but I'm
      the supervisor and I'm just going to sign it off.
      Everybody's been crazy," she continued, rolling her
      eyes up to the ceiling and shaking her head, "since
      September 11th...but sometimes you've just got to
      think outside the box." "Woooo!" I cheered. "All right!"
      exclaimed Jim, "We like that!"
      Finally, they told us that Zack would be receiving his
      card (with his "big numbo" on it) in about two weeks
      and we joked that we were sure he'd be waiting
      eagerly every day for it. There were smiles on
      everyone within earshot as we walked out, and even
      Mr. Serious, the security guard waved at us and said

      Two Livejournal.com entries
      Ken High Country  (username: kenhighcountry)
      A and I ate lunch today at our favorite local fish and
      chips bistro. There was a gentleman seated at the
      table behind me, who was eating alone. Since my
      back was to him, and his to me, I didn’t really see
      him, other than when we entered, and when he left.
      But, as he was leaving, we overheard the hostess say
      to him: Did you remember the squeaky Kitty?
      And he went back to the table he had been sitting at,
      and we were able to observe him leaving, holding a
      rubber squeaky kitty in his right hand.
      I know there are probably a few rational explanations
      for this, but I don’t want to hear them.
      You see, I find it neither odd nor strange that a grown
      man should choose to bring his squeaky kitty to lunch.
      In fact, A and I started discussing opening a
      restaurant where bringing a squeaky toy would be
      required. After all, some restaurants won’t admit
      gentlemen who are not wearing ties. Why not refuse
      to admit anyone not accompanied by a squeaky toy?
      We could even have a few that we would loan to
      patrons who forgot theirs. And the wait staff would
      always be required to carry a squeaky toy with them,
      to talk to the customer’s squeaky toys.
      And the more I think about it, the more I think it could
      catch on. After a while, Take Your Daughter To Work
      Day could be replaced by Take A Squeaky Toy To
      Work Day.
      I suppose that there could be some problems. At the
      movies, for example, it would be annoying if people
      squeaked them during the film. Though that would be
      a lot less annoying than people talking during the film.
      And then we would probably start to see the
      inevitable Squeak If You Love Jesus bumper stickers.
      And the annoying barroom braggadocio Oh yeah?
      Want to step outside and say that to my squeaky
      On the other hand, I think it would make our
      government kinder and gentler if all elected officials
      were required to carry a squeaky toy with them. The
      chair recognizes the squeaky bear from Indiana. Or
      our accidental president on TV, saying I think
      Saddam is lying. And so does Ducky. Don’t you
      Ducky? Squeak, squeak.
      Ok, scoff if you want. But when it sweeps the world,
      remember where it started.

      Christiana  (San Francisco Anti War Rally 1/18/03)
      Reflections on what rallies
      Yesterday, while at work, I stood at a
      window on the fourth floor of the
      San Francisco Main Library watching
      what may have been 200,000 people
      pouring like lava-flow into the Civic Center. Marchers having walked several miles -
      for peace; against this war; and for racial
      and political civility in our land and
      government - slowly poured into the
      several block wide plaza spilling as well
      into the 'ordinary' space of all the
      surrounding blocks.
      Perched from above we watched a blank
      canvas slowly paint itself with multi-hues
      as Beings of intention. The day was clear
      and pleasant to the senses and so it seemed
      was the ambiance of the participators. As I
      walked amidst the crowd, listening to celebrities
      (Martin Sheen) speak and two peace divas
      (Joan Baez, Bonnie Raitt) sing, I was an
      anonymous traveler amidst the diversity of our
      species. And it was good.. both the anonymity and
      the inclusivity.
      Here amidst the vibrant presentation of the spectrum
      of individuality was also a more vibrant pulsation of
      That which does not divide. The singularity of Love for
      country, family, world beings, planetary environment,
      and diversity was the touchstone grounding
      awareness perceived. I wondered, what might it be
      like if someone took the podium asking for a few
      silent minutes beyond rhetoric, positions, intentions,
      and emotions to notice the core pulsation of what
      was unnamable yet palpably perceivable in that
      moment as grace.
      It seems many who are attending such movements
      are on the precipice of realizing that what is arising in
      them is more than ideas and feelings. What would it
      take to nudge a large collective over the perspective
      edge of duality into the aperspectival empty-full
      heart? That might be nondual activism.
      Highlights/NDS Search: http://nonduality.com/search.htm
      Letters to the editors:NDhighlights-owner@yahoogroups.com