Friday, January 17, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 18, 2003

      Issue #1322 - Friday, January 17, 2003 - Editor: Gloria

      Light, Where is the light?
      Light the fire if you have the desire!
      Thunder, rushing wind, nothingness.
      Black night, black stone.
      Don't let your whole life go by in the dark.
      Evidently the only way to find the path is to set fire to my own life.

      ~Rabindranath Tagore

      from The Other Syntax list

      "liquid light" photo by Al Larus

                                                            Last Night
      Last night as I was sleeping I dreamt a marvelous illusion
      that there was a spring breaking out in my heart.
      I said, "Along what secret aqueduct are you coming to me
      Oh water, water of a new life that I have never drunk."

      Last night as I was sleeping I dreamt a marvelous illusion
      that there was a beehive here in my heart.
      And the golden bees were making white combs
      and sweet honey from my old failures.

      Last night as I was sleeping I dreamt a marvelous illusion
      that there was a fiery sun here in my heart.
      It was fiery because it gave warmth as if from a hearth
      And it was sun because it gave light and brought tears to my eyes.

      Last night as I was sleeping I dreamt a marvelous illusion
      that there was God here in my heart.
      God, is my soul asleep?
      Have those beehives who labor by night stopped, and
      the water wheel of thought, is it dry?
      The cup's empty, wheeling out carrying only shadows?
      No!  My soul is not asleep!  My soul is not asleep!
      It neither sleeps nor dreams, but watches, its clear eyes open,
      far off things, and listens, and listens
      at the shores of the great silence.
      It listens at the shores of the great silence.
                                                           ~ Antonio Machado ~

      by Joseph Riley

              ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `

              Deafened by the voice of desire
              you are unaware the Beloved
              lives in the core of your heart.
              Stop the noise,
              and you will hear His voice
              in the silence.

                           - Rumi

              ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `

      "Rumi - Whispers of the Beloved"
      Selected and translated by
          Azima Melita Kolin and Maryam Mafi
      Thorsons, London 1999

      from Along the Way by M J Gilbert

      fr

      http://www.puresilence.org/written_word.htm

      "This silence, this moment, every moment, if it's genuinely inside you, brings what you need. There's nothing to believe. Only when I stopped believing in myself did I come into this beauty. Sit quietly, and listen for a voice that will say, 'Be more silent.' Die and be quiet. Quietness is the surest sign that you've died. Your old life was a frantic running from silence. Move outside the tangle of fear-thinking. Live in silence."
      Rumi

      "Be quiet in your mind, quiet in your senses, and also quiet in your body. Then, when all these are quiet, don't do anything. In that state truth will reveal itself to you. It will appear in front of you and ask," what do you want?"
      Kabir

      "Empty yourself of everything. Let the mind rest at peace. The ten thousand things rise and fall while the Self watches their return. They grow and flourish and then return to the source. Returning to the source is stillness, which is the way of nature."
      Lao Tzu

      "Things that are real are given and received in Silence. God has been everlastingly working in Silence, unobserved, unheard, except by those who experience His Infinite Silence."
      Meher Baba

      "Be still, and know that I am (God)."
      Psalm 46:10

      "Thought comes to an end. Then there is that sense of absolute silence in the brain. All the movement of thought has ended."
      J. Krishnamurti

      "There is a silence into which the world cannot intrude. There is an ancient peace you carry in your heart and have not lost."
      A Course in Miracles

      "What exists in truth is the Self alone. The self is that where there is absolutely no "I" thought. That is called Silence. The Self itself is the world; the Self itself is "I"; the Self itself is God."
      Ramana Maharshi

      "No particular thought can be mind's natural state, only silence. Not the idea of silence, but silence itself. When the mind is in its natural state, it reverts to silence spontaneously after every experience, or, rather, every experience happens against the background of silence."
      Nisargadatta Maharaj

      "Whenever we moderns pause for a moment, and enter the silence, and listen very carefully, the glimmer of our deepest nature begins to shine forth, and we are introduced to the mysteries of the deep, the call of the within, the infinite radiance of a splendor that time and space forgot"
      Ken Wilber

      "There is nothing mind can do that cannot be better done in the mind's immobility and thought-free stillness.
      When mind is still, then truth gets her chance to be heard in the purity of the silence."
      ~Sri Aurobindo
      posted by Jan Sultan on Advaita to Zen

      Looking For A Monk And Not Finding Him
                  - Li Po

                  I took a small path leading
                  up a hill valley, finding there
                  a temple, its gate covered
                  with moss, and in front of
                  the door but tracks of birds;
                  in the room of the old monk
                  no one was living, and I
                  staring through the window
                  saw but a hair duster hanging
                  on the wall, itself covered
                  with dust; emptily I sighed
                  thinking to go, but then
                  turning back several times,
                  seeing how the mist on
                  the hills was flying, and then
                  a light rain fell as if it
                  were flowers falling from
                  the sky, making a music of
                  its own; away in the distance
                  came the cry of a monkey, and
                  for me the cares of the world
                  slipped away, and I was filled
                  with the beauty around me.

      posted by Gill Eardly on Allspirit

      Brain Helmet

      Often I dream while being aware of my physical surroundings
      which generally is unpleasant because
      physiologically in the sleeping state
      one is paralyzed.

      I've seen documentaries on this phenomena
      and throughout history this kind of dilemma
      was chalked up as interaction with demonic spirits.

      Interesting to note
      that when this alignment of consciousness & physical paralysis
      occurs to me
      I always sense some foreign presence...
      Usually in the form of an intruder breaking into
      the physical space I am sleeping at.

      This experience sucks
      even more so because of the fact
      I am literally physically paralyzed
      (thanks to the 'genius' of evolutional hard-wiring).

      This lovely experience happens regularly to me
      once or twice a month.

      I know I am not unusual with regard to having these types of experiences.

      Over time
      I actually figured out what is going on.

      There's a scientist from Canada
      (yeah Canada, he can't help it)
      who developed a helmet
      that emits electromagnetic waves
      that can be pinpointed and directed to specific areas of the brain
      to stimulate responses associated
      with particular brain regions.
      (true story look it up yourself)

      In the past
      when we didn't have the luxury of such
      amazing technology
      we would have to cut a person's skull open
      and poke various regions of their brain
      with a metal stick
      to observe what kinds of responses were possible
      from direct contact.

      For instance,
      we learnt that if you poked the visual regions
      of a person's brain
      they would see things that were not readily apparent
      to the people poking with the metal sticks...

      And such was the case
      with regard to different sorts of experience
      and perception
      with respects to different regions of the brain.
      (i.e. sound, sexual stimulation, etc.)

      Now this guy from Canada
      (a pseudo country, no coincidence)
      has taken this approach
      to a new level in that
      we can now prod our brains non invasively
      with an electro-magnetic helmet.

      Wow.

      One of the more interesting things he found
      while poking people's brains
      (electromagnectically)
      is that there is a region in all of our brains
      that when stimulated
      elicits an experience
      that there is an 'other' present in the room.

      Even when all the brain-poking scientists leave the room
      and poke
      the unsuspecting bearer of this new-age helmet
      can't but help but experience
      THAT THERE IS SOMEONE ELSE IN THE ROOM
      IN THEIR PRESENCE.

      Furthermore,
      I must inform you at this point
      that all people poked electromagnetically
      with this amazing brain helmet
      in the particular region of our brain
      that makes us respond to
      and experience some imaginary presence
      of an 'other'
      are also flooded with a sense of fear.

      In other words
      this magic button hard-wired in our brains
      that makes us experience the presence of 'another'
      is not pleasant at all.

      It is frightening
      to say the least.

      I have my own personal theory regarding this
      hard-wired button in all of our heads.

      It has to do with duality
      and the essential
      need
      an organism in a dualistic environment
      must possess in order to survive.

      And further
      furthermore
      I will somehow tie
      this intuition of mine
      into my regular dream experiences
      of dreaming my physical environment
      in a state of paralysis
      while some 'other' is breaking into my
      house as I struggle but cannot move.

      And further,
      further
      furthermore
      I may explain why this Canadian scientist
      who wishes to patent his amazing helmet
      and sell it to anyone who wishes to purchase it
      will never be allowed to sell it.
      (at least in the United States)

      David Bozzi
      [to be continued if I feel like it]

      pete seesaw wrote:
       You do have a lively imagination. But are you aware
       of the empty stage. Can you stay in your seat after
       the show is over, and for how long?

      A good question, Pete.

      I like to watch the final credits roll, even
      when no one else remains.

      I don't like it when the floor is sticky with
      spilled soda, though.

      Have you ever stayed until they tore down the
      building?

      Have you ever taken a ride in a time machine, and
      watched the buildings rise and fall,
      and the seasons go by in the blink of an eye?

      -- Dan

      from Advaita to Zen

      Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise.
      Seek what they sought.

      ~Basho

      from Adyashanti Satsang by Mazie Lane