Wednesday, January 15, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 16, 2003

      Issue #1320 - Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - Editor: Jerry

      Highlights/NDS Search: http://nonduality.com/search.htm
      Letters to the editors:NDhighlights-owner@yahoogroups.com

      Harsha
      NDS

      Nonduality by its nature does not involve rejection of
      duality.

      One starts where one already is, one travels where one
      already is, and one ends up where one already is, but
      this need not imply that there is never a journey from
      any perspective. In the journey of life, faith and
      trust in the Guru can play and do play a role. The
      Guru may be Jesus, or Krishna, or Buddha, or Ramana or
      someone of your choice. You need not have a social
      relationship with the Guru. The Guru is always the
      Self and is reflected in outer gurus.

      My teacher used to say that a real teacher is like an
      ice cube. He cools your consciousness and then
      disappears leaving no trace. Self-Realization is like
      that. It leaves no trace of the path, but road maps
      are drawn anyway. They are not bad, these road maps,
      so no need to discount them. They may not be perfect,
      but perfection is not required, because perfection is
      already inherent in us.

      A True Guru is like a bridge. One end of the bridge
      invites one to use one's energy and start walking
      (that is the method). The other end of the bridge
      invites one to rest (that is the goal). The last step
      is not easy and so there is the Guru existing as the
      bridge inviting us to take it. Faith and trust are
      helpful at some stage. To allow for that faith to
      flower is Grace. Guru is Grace.

      Once the bridge is crossed, the method and the goal
      merges and the bridge disappears in Pure
      Consciousness. The ancients called It Sat-Chit-Ananda.
      That being the Self-Nature or the Heart. Sat means
      that which is Self-Existence, Chit means Consciousness
      which is fully aware of ItSelf as Self-Knowledge.
      Ananda means that which is Self-Bliss. One monolithic
      whole described as three from the perspective of the
      mind, but One simultaneously. Fully empty of all
      things and yet Fullness It Self. That is the sheer
      beauty of It!

      One can enjoy words and philosophy and still remain
      indifferent to rigid positions and views. To be easy
      and natural is the way. What is easiesterst thing to
      do for you. Perhaps it's just breathing in and
      breathing out and blessing the whole cosmos with each
      breath.

      Love to all
      Harsha

      Avocado

      The Dharma is like an Avocado!
      Some parts so ripe you can't believe it,
      But it's good.
      And other places hard and green
      Without much flavor,
      Pleasing those who like their eggs well-cooked.

      And the skin is thin,
      The great big round seed
      In the middle,
      Is your own Original Nature --
      Pure and smooth,
      Almost nobody ever splits it open
      Or ever tries to see
      If it will grow.

      Hard and slippery,
      It looks like
      You should plant it -- but then
      It shoots out thru the
                      fingers --
      gets away.

      -- Gary Snyder, contributed to NDS by Joseph Riley

      Gill Earley
      Allspirit

      Four Reliances

      When Sakyamuni was about to enter nirvana, he said to the bhiksus,
      "From this day on, rely on dharma, not on people who teach it. Rely
      on the meaning, not on the words. Rely on wisdom, not on the
      working of the mind. Rely on the sutras that fully express the meaning,
      not on those that do not.
      http://www.shinranworks.com/majorexpositions/kgssVI-68_72.htm

      To abide in the dharma and not the person
      To abide in Sutras of Ultimate Truth and not in Sutras of Incomplete Truth
      To abide in the meaning and not the word
      To abide in Wisdom and not in Consciousness
      http://www.buddhistdoor.com/passissue/9602/sources/teach2.htm#t4

      Rely on the message of the teacher, not on his personality;
      Rely on the meaning, not just on the words;
      Rely on the real meaning, not just the provisional one;
      Rely on your wisdom mind, not on your ordinary, judgmental mind

      Michael Read
      NDS

      CASE 30. BASO'S VERY MIND

      Daibai asked Baso, What is the Buddha?"
      Baso answered, "The mind is the Buddha."

      Mumon's Comments:

      If you fully understand Baso's meaning, you are wearing Buddha's clothes, eating Buddha's food, speaking Buddha's words, doing Buddha's deeds, that is to say, you are Buddha himself. But Baso misled not a few people into erroring the principles of Zen. He does not realize that if we explain the word "Buddha" we must rinse our mouths for three days afterwards. If he is a man of understanding, he would cover his ears and run away hearing Baso say, "The mind is the Buddha!"

      Under blue sky, in bright sunlight,
      One need not search around,
      Asking around what Buddha is,
      is liking the stolen goods in one's pocket and declaring oneself innocent.

      The Journey
      Mary Oliver

      One day you finally knew
      what you had to do, and began,
      though the voices around you
      kept shouting
      their bad advice--
      though the whole house
      began to tremble
      and you felt the old tug
      at your ankles.
      "Mend my life!"
      each voice cried.
      But you didn't stop.
      You knew what you had to do,
      though the wind pried
      with its stiff fingers
      at the very foundations,
      though their melancholy
      was terrible.
      It was already late
      enough, and a wild night,
      and the road full of fallen
      branches and stones.
      But little by little,
      as you left their voices behind,
      the stars began to burn
      through the sheets of clouds,
      and there was a new voice
      which you slowly
      recognized as your own,
      that kept you company
      as you strode deeper and deeper
      into the world,
      determined to do
      the only thing you could do--
      determined to save
      the only life you could save.

      contributed by Gill Eardley to Allspirit

      Joseph Riley
      Panhala

      If It Is Not Too Dark

      Go for a walk, if it is not too dark.
      Get some fresh air, try to smile.
      Say something kind
      To a safe-looking stranger, if one happens by.

      Always exercise your heart's knowing.

      You might as well attempt something real
      Along this path:

      Take your spouse or lover into your arms
      The way you did when you first met.
      Let tenderness pour from your eyes
      The way the Sun gazes warmly on the earth.

      Play a game with some children.
      Extend yourself to a friend.
      Sing a few ribald songs to your pets and plants -
      Why not let them get drunk and wild!

      Let's toast
      Every rung we've climbed on Evolution's ladder.
      Whisper, "I love you! I love you!"
      To the whole mad world.

      Let's stop reading about God -
      We will never understand Him.

      Jump to your feet, wave your fists,
      Threaten and warn the whole Universe

      That your heart can no longer live
      Without real love!

      ("I Heard God Laughing - Renderings of Hafiz" by Daniel Ladinsky)

      Temple of Life
      We sat by the fire
      United in song
      Under the moonlight
      All night long

      We sang hall
      For the joy of it all
      And out on the water
      A caroling moon
      Sings just a sweet
      Heavenly tune

      There's peace in God's forest
      The temple of life
      Halleluyah
      Halleluyah
      We looked to the sky
      Deep into heaven's eyes
      Halleluyah

      And back in the city
      I'm losing control
      I need a place
      To ease my soul
      There's peace in God's temple
      The temple of life

      Halleluyah
      Halleluyah
      We looked to the sky
      Deep into heaven's eyes
      Halleluyah

      Halleluyah
      Halleluyah

      We looked to the sky
      Deep into heaven's eyes
      Halleluyah

      Halleluyah
      Halleluyah
      Praise your name, God
      Halleluyah
      We looked to the sky
      Deep into heaven's eyes
      Halleluyah

      Thank you, Jesus
      We praise your name
      Thank you Lord
      Halleluyah

      We looked to the sky
      Deep into heaven's eyes
      Halleluyah
      We praise your name, Lord
      We love you.... (fade out)

      Avril Lavigne, submitted to NDS

      Freyja
      NDS

      Walking the tightrope
      of more-better-new-improved
      Taking care not to fall
      into the pit of
      All is not as it should be

      J.P. Poffandi
      NDS

      Found on ancient Sumerian tablets:

      "The esoteric significance of the Nondual Waffle is to be found somewhere between the butter and the crust - between the syrup and the knife - between the Yum! and the Ah!"

      Nina
      NDS

      journey through an abandoned insane asylum

      I have often taken buildings as appearing in dream and imagination as
      clues to the inner structures.

      http://www.sundanceonlinefilmfestival.com/shorts01_03.html#

      Michael Read
      NDS

      {sent to me by my dear friend, jan. Thanks}

      Things It Takes Most Of Us 50 years to learn:

      The badness of a movie is directly proportional
      to the number of helicopters in it.

      You will never find anybody who can give you a
      clear and compelling reason why we observe
      daylight-saving time.

      You should never say anything to a woman that
      even remotely suggests you think she's pregnant
      unless you can see an actual baby emerging from
      her at that moment.

      The one thing that unites all human beings,
      regardless of age, gender, religion, economic
      status or ethnic background, is that, deep down
      inside, we ALL believe that we are above-average
      drivers.

      There comes a time when you should stop
      expecting other people to make a big deal about
      your birthday. That time is: age 11.

      There is a very fine line between "hobby" and
      "mental illness."

      People who want to share their religious views
      with you almost never want you to share yours
      with them.

      If you had to identify, in one word, the reason
      why the human race has not achieved, and never
      will achieve, its full potential, that word would
      be "meetings."

      The main accomplishment of almost all organized
      protests is to annoy people who are not in them.

      If there really is a God who created the entire
      universe with all of its glories, and he decides
      to deliver a message to humanity, he will NOT use
      as his messenger a person on cable TV with a bad
      hairstyle or in some cases, really bad make-up too.

      You should not confuse your career with your life.

      A person who is nice to you, but rude to the
      waiter/janitor, is not a nice person.

      No matter what happens, somebody will find a way
      to take it too seriously.

      When trouble arises and things look bad, there is
      always one individual who perceives a solution and
      is willing to take command. Very often, that
      individual is crazy.

      Your true friends love you, anyway.

      Nobody cares if you can't dance well. Just get up
      and dance.

      AgAyam pOla vakilaththi nuLveLiyAn
      sAgAdhAn sarva samansiddhan - drEgAdhi
      yAvatRum patRatRA nendRumama lansaliyA
      nAvanA nendRE yaRi

      Transliteration

      "(1)  He (the Self), the One (abiding) within and outside the universe, like
      the sky,
      (2)   He, the undying, He, the One equal to All, He, the Ever-Liberated -
       (3)  He, the One unattached to everything beginning from the body,
             He, the Ever-Blemishless, He, the Immutable,
       (4)  He is I," know thus.

      Translation

      of Sri Bhagawan's Tamil Atma Bodha verse 35

      Yours in Sri Bhagawan
      RK Shankar
      from the I Am list