Monday, January 13, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 14, 2003

      Randy Simpson
      http://www.smallpebble.com

      A zen student thought that he had accomplished all that he needed to know. His teacher said he was not ready yet to teach, but he ignored him and taught anyway. Several years later another Zen teacher heard this renegade student giving a teaching and commented "one chopstick"

      Issue #1318 - Monday, January 13, 2003 - Editor: Jerry

      Tomas
      see what is

      effortless spontaneity

           What is happiness worth
           when you have to strive and labor for it?
           True happiness is spontaneous and effortless.
                --- Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

      Happiness is effortless spontaneity.
           inputs  =  sensation and intuition;
           outputs  =  thought and behavior;
           results  =  recollections and expectations.

      Transcendence is immediate;
      not remote.

      Inference and implication
      beckons perilous distraction
      entertained only under constraint.

      Every object and property of identity
      demands an appropriate scope.

      Only nothing is global,
      itself to be ultimately negated.

      In seeing as one-self
      time, extension and all that would be else
      shrink to nonexistence.

      All is one;
      one is all;
      all and one are nothing.

      We appear to be
      who we think we are.

      By that specification
      behavior ranges
      from imbecilic to paradigmatic
      when judged against a backdrop
      of randomly fractalizing experience.

      Take it or leave it.
      it matters not.

      One is who one is
      in the moment.

      ~ tomas

      Science will lead to spiritual evolution: Goodall

      UNI

      BANGALORE: Greater scientific knowledge would put the
      human being on the path to spiritual evolution and
      ultimately spiritual enlightenment, according to
      primatologist Jane Goodall.

      Speaking at a public lecture organised by the Kengal
      Hanumanthaiah foundation as part of the international
      symposium 'science and the spiritual quest' on Saturday
      night, she said that despite wars and violence,
      environmental degradation, poverty and social inequality,
      there was reason for hope. The ''human being's scientific
      brain, the resilience of nature and indomitable human
      spirit'' gave her hope.

      Dr Goodall was the first person to establish that
      chimpanzees had a complex social structure, made tools,
      ate meat and had relationships much as human beings do.
      ''they teach us that the lines between humans and the
      rest of the animal kingdom are blurred,'' she observed.

      Stating that human activity had pushed the chimpanzees to
      the brink of extinction, she informed that their numbers
      had fallen from about two million 100 years ago to just
      about 150,000 today. ''the solution to the problem lies
      in reducing poverty in the developing world and curbing
      the extravagant and unsustainable lifestyles of the
      rich,'' she said.

      Dr Goodall also chided the United States for its
      belligerence towards Iraq and India and Pakistan for
      their possession of nuclear weapons.

      Oxford University mathematics professor Roger Penrose,
      who spoke on 'Brain and Computers,' said that computer's
      ability consisted only of computation while the brain was
      capable of performing multi-dimensional functions.

      Prof Penrose, who is seeking to establish a physical
      basis for consciousness, observed that a new theory
      bridging the classical and quantum theories was needed to
      explain the workings of the universe.

      Rajya Sabha MP and member of the Atomic Energy Commission
      Raja Ramanna said India was compelled to acquire nuclear
      weapons and remained essentially a pacific nation.

      Founder of the Art of Living foundation Sri Sri Ravi
      Shankar said that over millennia India had not
      experienced any difficulty reconciling science and
      spirituality. Both were regarded as approaches leading to
      the goal of truth and enlightenment, he added.

      J.P. Poffandi
      NDS

      Fight Club

      Some prefer Neo (Keanu Reeves) from the Matrix as a
      prototypical image icon of the 'liberated man'.

      I kinda prefer the paranoid, schizoid self-anarchist Tyler Durden.
      :)))

      From the breathtakingly brilliant beautiful powerful WAKE UP love
      it or hate it film 'Fight Club' (1999) directed by David Fincher
      (Seven, 1995; The Game, 1997) based on a 1996 Chuck
      Palahniuk novel.

      Everyman Tyler Durden speaks thusly:

      "I see in fight club the strongest and smartest men who have
      ever lived -- an entire generation pumping gas and waiting
      tables; or they're slaves with white collars. Advertisements have
      them chasing cars and clothes, working jobs they hate so they
      can buy shit they don't need.

      We are the middle children of history, with no purpose or place.
      We have no great war, or great depression.

      The great war is a spiritual war. The great depression is our
      lives.

      We were raised by television to believe that we'd be millionaires
      and movie gods and rock stars -- but we won't.

      And we're learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed-off."

      Interesting essay by Adrienne Redd - Masculine Identity In the
      Service Class:

      http://www.criticism.com/md/fightclub.html

      A Taoist take on the film:

      http://strykerxbase.tripod.com/writings/taoism.htm

      And some heavy psychosocial grokking for the metacritic in all of
      us:

      "'Enjoy your fight!' Fight Club as a symptom of the Network
      Society"

      http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/sociology/soc080bd.html

      Viorica Weissman

      When I first came to Bhagavan, I saw a bright light, like the sun, and Bhagavan was in the midst of it. Later on I used to see a light between my eyebrows. Once I saw a big light come out from Bhagavan's head and fill the hall. In that light everything disappeared, including Bhagavan. Only the feeling of 'I' was floating in the luminous void.

      When I related these experiences to Bhagavan, he said:

       "Yes, such visions do occur. To know how you look you must look into a mirror, but don't take that reflection to be yourself. What is perceived by our senses and mind is never the truth. All visions are mere mental creations, and if you believe in them, your progress ceases. Inquire to whom the visions occur, who is their witness. Free from all thoughts, stay in pure awareness. Out of that don't move."

      Eternal Bhagavan , by Shantammal -

      from RAMANA SMRTI SOUVENIR

      Petros
      Petros-Truth

      Inquire always within oneself, not being taken in by any outward or inward
      object, thought, emotion, or belief. Inquire, "To whom does this apparent
      object appear? To whom do these thoughts appear?" and let the question be
      felt rather than heard as words.

      Pure Silence: Lessons in Living and Dying
      by Mark McCloskey

      Pure Silence: Lessons in Living and Dying, is an audio CD produced, written and presented by Mark McCloskey. McCloskey is a businessman (a seafood importer), married with two children, living in the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania area. The CD, consisting of eleven tracks, is professionally packaged, produced, and shipped. The first and last tracks match a professional female voiceover and instrumental music composed by McCloskey, smoothly and appropriately complimenting McCloskey's spoken text, which is the body of this work.

      From the CD liner: "The tracks on this CD were recorded as is: spontaneously. After spending some time abiding in silence I picked up a microphone and started speaking from my heart with all sincerity. There was no rehearsal; nothing was written beforehand. Rather, all the words arose from the Pure Silence of Being itself. I have merely spoken them to you with my own voice. The tracks were made over a period of 4 weeks in my home as I felt the truth well up in my heart. The real Author of these is the One Self, the One Spirit, that which has been called 'I AM'."

      This CD would be of value to anyone whose practice or simple pleasure includes listening to a speaker who comes from the silent place within. The CD may be ordered at McCloskey's website: www.puresilence.org. As of this writing, there is a link to some thirty minutes of sample tracks.

      --Jerry Katz