Friday, January 10, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 11, 2003
      HIGHLIGHTS #1315 - Friday, January 10, 2003 - Editor: Gloria Lee
      Highlights/NDS Search: http://nonduality.com/search.htm
      Letters to the editors:NDhighlights-owner@yahoogroups.com

      "What we do to  the lives and lands of others may ultimately
      determine the fate of our own."
      ~Guaraní shaman, Pa'i Antonio Moreira

      mudslide photo

      Steve Toth  Buddaway

      MOUTHPIECE

      The earth is fluent in life
           not words
      Trees don't go around bragging
           about how they make weather
      You have to watch the clouds
           forming above them & wonder
           what's up
      There are secrets the trees keep
           though their silence thunders
      The earth doesn't want the sun
           to shine everywhere
      so it covers itself with leaves when it rains
      Love lives in the sun
           Love lives in the shadows too

      When you humans were being
           driven from paradise
      it was your own minds that did the driving
      Your fall was from life
          to the knowledge of life
      but the plants & animals didn't go along
           They're living in paradise still
      Meanwhile the earth has learned to read
      It has eyes that are reading these words
           It has a mouth
           right under your nose

      When you cut the trees
           the floods come
      The water isn't absorbed deeply
           when it rains
      where the trees used to be
      It stays on the surface
           & runs off like a thief
           with the top soil
      The life's work of many a life washed out
           I may be dumb
      but I'm using the same words
           you are
      Love makes us listen
           even when we don't
           know the language

      Vanishing Forests, Endangered People

      An old Indian stands in the rain in northern Argentina, amid the charred ruins of his
      village. His name is Pa'i Antonio Moreira. Over his thin sweater two strings of
      black beads crisscross his chest like bandoliers, signifying that he is a ñanderú, a
      shaman of his people. They are among the last few Guaraní Indians in this country,
      part of a cultural group that once inhabited a forest stretching from Argentina to the
      Amazon. Now only remnants of that forest and its creatures and people are left.

      The night before, government men in forest-service uniforms torched the
      community's village. The l,500-acre tract of semitropical woodland where they
      lived is only a few miles from Iguazú Falls, the biggest waterfall in South America.
      Once sacred to the Guaraní, Iguazú is now overwhelmed by tourists. Moreira's
      village was burned to make way for yet another hotel. The next Indian village to
      the south is also gone, swallowed by the waters of a new reservoir. The villages
      beyond that are no longer surrounded by black laurel and ceiba trees, which
      sheltered the deer and tapir the Guaraní once hunted, but by silent forests of
      Monterey pine, imported from California and planted by a nearby paper company
      for its superior fiber content.

      The old shaman's kinsmen huddle around a fire, while the embers of their homes
      hiss and sizzle in the rain. The people descend from a stubborn band of Guaraní
      who refused to be evangelized when Jesuits arrived here 400 years a go. Moreira
      tells us that these ills curse the Guaranís world because white men ignore the true
      way of God. Only the Indian, he says, remembers how God intended the world to
      be.

      Then why, we ask, has God allowed the white man to triumph, and the Indian to
      suffer?

      He gazes at us from beneath heavy-lidded eyes filled with loss and compassion.
      "The white man hasn't triumphed," he says softly. "When the Indians vanish, the
      rest will follow." [...]

      "Finally, we stood with Professor Bedrich Magas of Chile's Magellan University at
      the tip of the Americas, looking out toward the growing polar ozone hole. Magas
      reminded us that the National Aeronautics and Space Administration had recently
      discovered destructive chlorine over the northern United States—just like that which
      was found over Antarctica only a few years earlier. It was a disturbing reminder of
      the warning of the Guaraní shaman: What we do to the lives and lands of others
      may ultimately determine the fate of our own."

      http://www.homelands.org/vanishing_forests.htm

      The Other Syntax

      So-Called Soul-Searching Questions

      Whenever I tried to ask any of them for help, they outright refused to have
      anything to do with me. They all argued that, without the necessary energy on my
      part, all they would do would be to repeat themselves, and that they didn't have
      time for that. At first, I found their refusal ungenerous and unfair. After awhile,
      however, I gave up every attempt to probe them, and I simply enjoyed their
      presence and their company. And I realized that they  were, of course, totally right
      in refusing to play our favorite intellectual game, that of pretending to be
      interested by asking so- called soul-searching questions, which usually have no
      meaning to us whatsoever. And the reason they have no meaning to us is that we
      don't have the energy to do anything about the answer we might hear, except to
      agree or disagree with it.

      Pg. 213 BEING-IN-DREAMING Florinda Donner

      MJ Gilbert  Along the Way

              ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `
              The surest sign of spiritual progress is a total
              lack of concern about progress.  There is an utter
              absence of anxiety about anything like liberation
              and a sort of hollowness in one's being, a kind of
              looseness and involuntary surrender to whatever
              might happen.

                                     - Ramesh S. Balsekar
              ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `
      "A Net of Jewels"
      Ramesh S. Balsekar
      Advaita Press, 1966

      "Winter in Maine" painting by Jeff Belyea

      Alan Watts on Nature of Consciousness

      So then, just in the same way as you don't know--you don't focus your attention--on how you make your thyroid gland function, so in the same way, you don't have any attention focused on how you shine the sun. So then, let me connect this with the problem of birth and death, which puzzles people enormously of course. Because, in order to understand what the self is, you have to remember that it doesn't need to remember anything,just as you don't need to know how you work your thyroid gland.

      So then, when you die, you're not going to have to put up with everlasting non-existance, because that's not an experience. A lot of people are afraid that when they die, they're going to be locked up in a dark room forever, and sort of undergo that. But one of the interesting things in the world is--this is a yoga, this is a realization--try and imagine what it will be like to go to sleep and never wake up. Think about that. Children think about it. It's one of the great wonders of life. What will it be like to go to sleep and never wake up? And if you think long enough about that, something will happen to you. You will find out, among other things, it will pose the next question to you. What was it like to wake up after having never gone to sleep? That was when you were born. You see, you can't have an experience of nothing; nature abhorres a vacuum. So after you're dead, the only thing that can happen is the same experience, or the same sort of experience as when you were born. In other words, we all know very well that after other people die, other people are born. And they're all you, only you can only experience it one at a time. Everybody is I, you all know you're you, and wheresoever all being exist throughout all galaxies, it doesn't make any difference. You are all of them. And when they come into being, that's you coming into being.

      You know that very well, only you don't have to remember the past in the same way you don't have to think about how you work your thyroid gland, or whatever else it is in your organism. You don't have to know how to shine the sun. You just do it, like you breath. Doesn't it really astonish you that you are this fantastically complex thing, and that you're doing all this and you never had any education in how to do it? Never learned, but you're this miracle? The point of it is, from a strictly physical, scientific standpoint, this organism is a continuous energy with everything else that's going on. And if I am my foot, I am the sun. Only we've got this little partial view. We've got the idea that 'No, I'm something IN this body.' The ego. That's a joke. The ego is nothing other than the focus of conscious attention. It's like the radar on a ship. The radar on a ship is a troubleshooter. Is there anything in the way? And conscious attention is a designed function of the brain to scan the environment, like a radar does, and note for any troublemaking changes. But if you identify yourself with your troubleshooter, then naturally you define yourself as being in a perpetual state of anxiety. And the moment we cease to identify with the ego and become aware that we are the whole organism, we realize first thing how harmonious it all is. Because your organism is a miracle of harmony. All these things functioning together. Even those creatures that are fighting each other in the blood stream and eating each other up. If they weren't doing that, you wouldn't be healthy.

      So what is discord at one level of your being is harmony at another level. And you begin to realize that, and you begin to be aware too, that the discords of your life and the discords of people's lives, which are a discord at one level, at a higher level of the universe are healthy and harmonious. And you suddenly realize that everything you are and do is at that level as magnificent and as free of any blemish as the patterns in waves. The markings in marble. The way a cat moves. And that this world is really OK. Can't be anything else, because otherwise it couldn't exist. And I don't mean this in a kind of Pollyanna Christian Science sense. I don't know what it is or why it is about Christian Science, but it's prissy. It's got kind of a funny feeling to it; came from New England.

      But the reality underneath physical existence, or which really is physical existence--because in my philosophy there is no difference between the physical and the spiritual. These are absolutely out-of-date catagories. It's all process; it isn't 'stuff' on the one hand and 'form' on the other. It's just pattern-- life is pattern. It is a dance of energy. And so I will never invoke spooky knowledge. That is, that I've had a private revelation or that I have sensory vibrations going on a plane which you don't have. Everything is standing right out in the open, it's just a question of how you look at it. So you do discover when you realize this, the most extraordinary thing that I never cease to be flabbergasted at whenever it happens to me. Some people will use a symbolism of the relationship of God to the universe, wherein God is a brilliant light, only somehow veiled, hiding underneath all these forms as you look around you. So far so good. But the truth is funnier than that. It is that you are looking right at the brilliant light now that the experience you are having that you call ordinary everyday consciousness--pretending you're not it--that experience is exactly the same thing as 'it.' There's no difference at all. And when you find that out, you laugh yourself silly. That's the great discovery.

      In other words, when you really start to see things, and you look at an old paper cup, and you go into the nature of what it is to see what vision is, or what smell is, or what touch is, you realize that that vision of the paper cup is the brilliant light of the cosmos. Nothing could be brighter. Ten thousand suns couldn't be brighter. Only they're hidden in the sense that all the points of the infinite light are so tiny when you see them in the cup they don't blow your eyes out. See, the source of all light is in the eye. If there were no eyes in this world, the sun would not be light. So if I hit as hard as I can on a drum which has no skin, it makes no noise. So if a sun shines on a world with no eyes, it's like a hand beating on a skinless drum. No light. YOU evoke light out of the universe, in the same way you, by nature of having a soft skin, evoke hardness out of wood. Wood is only hard in relation to a soft skin. It's your eardrum that evokes noise out of the air. You, by being this organism, call into being this whole universe of light and color and hardness and heaviness and everything.

      http://www.deoxy.org/w_nature.htm

      Mace Mealer  Illuminata

             Dreamtime

             A number of Dharma protectors
             stopped by my dreams the other night,
             all blood and fire and fangs.
             But when I went to get my fears
             to pay them, I couldn't find them!
             I can tell you,
             it was somewhat embarrassing!
             So I invited them in, and we
             had cocoa with lots of marshmallows
             and played cards most of the night.
             It turns out I knew most of them
             from the old days, so we told stories
             and had a grand old time.
             It seems they had been spending
             a lot of time using the old
             lookaway dodge back home
             to distract certain ChiCom gentlemen
             from the existence of some
             precious young ones who had
             pretty serious destinies to see through.
             It brought back memories to see
             them though, some had even
             been brought around by Paddy.
             Before dawn they had to go,
             but we promised to keep in touch.
             As they were leaving I got to thinking,
             these guys are just kids!
             Just how frigging old am I?
             and then I "remembered,"
             It's no wonder
             I creak when I walk.
             And then I woke up,
             creaking.

      Matthew Files  NDS

      More from my newest hero Ken Wilber:

           K.W.-Anybody can say *All things are one*, *All sentient beings
      possess Spirit*, *All things are part of a great unified Web of
      Life*, or *Subject and Object* are nondual. Anybody can say those
      things. The question, do you directly and actually realize that? Are
      you speaking with any sort of awakened authority, or are these just
      words to you?

      Interviewer- What if they are just words? What does it matter?

          K.W.- Well spiritual realities involve not merely statements
      about the objective world, but also statements of subjective facts,
      interior facts-and for those statements to be true when they come
      from your mouth, you must be directly in touch with those higher
      interior facts or else you are not being truthful, no matter how
      *correct* the words might sound. It is the subjective state of the
      speaker, and not the objective content of the words, that determines
      the truth of the utterance.

      True Vision

      "Joy has to do with seeing how precious things really are."

      —Pema Chodron

      Al Larus  True Vision

      In the wonderland of dreams
      you will get just what you want,
      a smiley on the front.
      At least sometimes, it seems.

      Joseph Riley  Panhala

      Morning Poem

      Every morning
      the world
      is created.
      Under the orange

      sticks of the sun
      the heaped
      ashes of the night
      turn into leaves again

      and fasten themselves to the high branches ---
      and the ponds appear
      like black cloth
      on which are painted islands

      of summer lilies.
      If it is your nature
      to be happy
      you will swim away along the soft trails

      for hours, your imagination
      alighting everywhere.
      And if your spirit
      carries within it