Monday, January 6, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 8, 2003

      The Sacred Sites: http://www.sacredsites.com/index.htm

      Issue #1311 - Monday, January 6, 2003 - Editor: Jerry

      from The Way Station

      A wise man and a novice crossed paths in a forest. The wise man said, “Knock, knock.”

      Startled, the novice asked, “Who’s there?”

      After a silence the wise man said, “You.”

      Not comprehending, the novice asked,“You who?”

      The wise man pulled a bottle from his robe and said:“YooHoo, the delicious chocolate beverage.”

      The novice suddenly understood the value of product placement and celebrity endorsement in an overall marketing strategy.

      ...and other Fractured Koans: http://www.buddhajones.com/Humor/FracturedKoans.html

      from The Other Sytnax

       "Why do you dislike men so much, Delia?" I asked in my most
      cynical tone.
         "I don't dislike them," she assured me.  "What I passionately
      object to is our reluctance to examine how thoroughly indoctrinated
      we are.  The pressure put upon us is so fierce and self-righteous
      that we have become willing accomplices.  Whoever dares to differ is
      dismissed and mocked as a man-hater or as a freak."
         Blushing, I glanced at her surreptitiously.  I decided that she
      could talk so disparagingly about sex and love because she was, after
      all, old.  Physical desires were all behind her.
         Chuckling softly, Delia put her hands behind her head, "My
      physical desires are not behind me because I'm old," she
      confided, "but because I've been given a chance to use my energy and
      imagination to become something different than the slave I was raised
      to be."

      Page 10
      Florinda Donner

      Nitin G.

      The Buddhist Wheel of Life: Aesthetics of Suffering and Salvation

      The Buddhist Wheel of Life symbolically represents how all
      sentient beings, who have not practiced the Dharma and liberated
      themselves, are bound in a cycle of existences whose very nature
      is suffering. The symbolism is depicted through a series of
      pictograms that are meant to act as a powerful mnemonic device
      for both the serious practitioner and the layman. The Old Masters
      prescribe that one should think about this diagram and focus on
      it day and night so as to never forget its meaning. According to
      Shri Dharmakirti "One should intently and seriously contemplate
      the meaning of this wheel. If possible, one should put up a
      pictorial representation of it, if necessary in solitary retreat,
      until its significance sinks in. Once this happens, the wish to
      be free of this mindless suffering is spontaneous and constant.
      An apt comparison would be with a sick man, who while suffering
      from a chronic painful ailment, discovers after a thorough
      medical examination that the reason for his illness is some
      regular component of his diet. Such a person would immediately
      try to remedy the defect.

      The full article with illustrations may be viewed at http://www.exoticindia.com/article/wheeloflife/

      from Daily Dharma

      Sentient beings are primarily all Buddhas.
      It is like ice and water,
      Apart from water no ice can exist;
      Outside sentient beings, where do we find the Buddhas?

      Not knowing how near the Truth is,
      We seek it far away-what a pity!
      We are like a man who, in the midst of water,
      Cries in thirst so imploringly;
      We are like the son of a rich man
      Who wandered away among the poor.

      The reason why we transmigrate through the six worlds
      Is that we are lost in the darkness of ignorance;
      Going astray further and further in the darkness,
      When are we able to be free from birth-and-death?

      As for Zazen practice in the Mahayana,
      We have no words to praise it fully.

      The virtues of perfection such as charity, morality,
      And the invocation of the Buddha's name,
      Confession, and ascetic discipline,
      And many other good deeds of merit- All these return into THIS!

      Even those who have practiced it for just one sitting
      Will see all their evil karma erased;
      Nowhere will they find evil paths,
      But the Pure Land will be near at hand.

      With a reverential heart, if we listen to this Truth even once
      And praise it, and gladly embrace it,
      We will surely be blessed most infinitely.

      But, if we concentrate within,
      And testify to the truth that Self-Nature is no-nature,
      We have really gone beyond foolish talk.

      The gate of the oneness of cause and effect is opened; The path of
      non-duality and non-trinity runs straight ahead.
      To regard the form of no-form as form,
      Whether going or returning, we cannot be any place else;
      To regard the thought of no-thought as thought,
      Whether singing or dancing, we are the voice of the Dharma.

      How boundless the cleared sky of Samadhi!
      How transparent the perfect moonlight of the Fourfold Wisdom!

      At this moment what more need we seek?
      As the Truth eternally reveals itself,
      This very place is the Lotus Land of Purity,
      This very body is the Body of the Buddha."
      ~Hakuin Ekaku Zenji

      From the web site, Digital Zendo,

      from NDS News Service

      Roads less taken
      Po Bronson profiles 50 people who changed their lives

      Reviewed by Stephen J. Lyons
       Sunday, January 5, 2003

      What Should I Do With My Life?

      The True Story of People Who Answered the Ultimate Question

      By Po Bronson

      "I'd like to suggest an alternative 'success' story, one where, with each next, the protagonist is closer to finding that spot where he's no longer held back by his heart, and he explodes with talent, and his character blossoms, and the gift he has to offer the world is apparent."

      Tim Gerchmez

      Amazing sound recordings.

      Broadband recommended (for the higher quality recordings)...

      Mt. Iztacihuatal from Mt. Popocatepetl