Saturday, January 4, 2003

  • Christiana Duranczyk
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2003
      The variety of expression
      Nondual Highlights #1309
      Saturday, January 4, 2003
      Photo: Barbara Valuckas, Sept 11, 2002 United Nations peace talks

      As It Is, Volumes I, II Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche
      What we need to know is that our nature is an
      unconfined empty cognizance. Knowing this to be as it is.
      Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing,
      is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state.
      When not altering what is, allow it to be as it is.
      And the awakened state is now spontaneously present.
      Amazing, natural awareness is beyond thought.
      Vividly clear, there is no obscuration. Nakedly
      manifest, there is no delusion. Wide awake, there is
      no subject and object.
      The thoughtfree innate state is experienced in
      vividness. We do not have to think of it to discover it.
      The natural properties of rigpa are not conceptual.

      Jesus and nondual expression
      Jeff: Fasten your selt belts all you recovering Christians,
      I'll keep it short - just one run-on sentence.
      Jesus was unique in his ability to teach from from a
      dual perspective by offering prayer and worship to
      God as a separate identity, moving to the middle
      ground between duality and non-duality with his
      reference to himself as "Son of God", and finally into
      non-duality with, "The Father and I are One."
      Jerry: Thanks, Jeff. It could be said that Bernadette
      Roberts even described a further step, if you'd like to
      split the hair of oneness and nonduality:
      Jeff: Thanks so much. What a beautiful read.
      She teaches from telling her story so honestly. The
      parallels resonate in many stories by awakened
      teachers. They, and she, even use similar imagery
      about the phenomenon of light that is experienced as
      a prelude to the full merging into God, told by many
      teachers. The words I use are, "checkered light". I
      found this precise phrase used by Yogananda
      Paramhansa, my wife's guru, in his exposition on the
      Bhagavad Gita. When I read it, my heart soared.
      Roberts used something like "daggers of light".
      I really enjoyed the distinction that Roberts makes
      when she says that she didn't follow Christ, that Christ
      followed her. Awakening to Truth reveals Christ and
      his teachings in a non-relative, clearly non-dual way,
      but only after the revelation. When I opened the bible
      a few days after my awakening, it was alive with its
      clarity and precision, describing what I had received
      by such an incredible measure of grace. Amazing!
      Those who attempt to preach and teach with
      understanding often pluck out phrases, like found in
      the outline of Roberts work, such as, "there is nothing
      to seek, nothing to find" and such, but this truth is
      known in its spiritually informed context only after the
      Truth of Christ is known.
      The Boddhisattva and the Christian Mystics work to
      bridge the gap in understanding and object to the
      uninformed parroting that discourages those at, as
      Roberts, says, "the beginning of the journey."

      The Essential Solution and
      Transformation beyond the ego (Interview with Jesus Christ)
      "Jesus communicated methods of entering the
      Kingdom. He did not propose a new belief, but a new
      ". . .But when the mind looks at the Absolute it
      generates paradox because the Absolute is beyond
      the mind's duality -- [which is] the natural way the
      mind knows things at its present level of knowing. The
      only way to Know the Absolute is to become It, and
      this is a radical spiritual transformation, an individual
      direct opening beyond ego-mind. This is the
      essential solution. . . "
      M.T. You seem to imply that it is the ego that is
      J.C. Yes, in a sense. But it does not
      mean that the ego is some bad thing.
      The whole thing is just a mental construct, and the sacrifice comes naturally. But it does not come out of choice, for choice is also illusion. Rather it comes out of a seeing and hearing
      that is not a result of past or memory in a psychological
      sense. Love lacks a past to consider. An Awareness thatis choiceless does not arise from the past.
      M.T. You do not sound like the Biblical Jesus.
      J.C. I am not the Biblical Jesus. The Biblical Jesus never existed. However,
      I existed as Jesus. It is just that I am
      not confined by other minds, even within an
      historical context. The Truth is never in the past.
      M.T. I see. Well, getting back to the ego-self, if the
      ego-self sinks like a boat in water, is this not also the
      disintegration of the personality?
      J.C. In a psychological sense, it is the Higher Self that
      carries the ego-self. If the boat sinks and the Self is
      realized, then you can walk on water. If the boat sinks,
      and you are fused with the ego- self, you sink with it.
      The ego-self depends on the past and knowledge,
      and knowledge is always a limitation of Truth.
      Knowing is beyond time and knowledge. The
      ego-self is more like a tool for a semi-conscious
      organism in time-life, but it has become the life of a
      tool. Love is the greater power and the greater Life. I
      am not a philosopher, psychologist, or a theologian. I
      am more like a poet. I am not trying to prove anything
      . . . Truth cannot be proven. I am just presenting
      something, and the parables were my poetry in that
      time and place.
      M.T. If we are to see society or ourselves only as we
      are, rather than what we think we should be, what
      happens to progress and change? We see
      something we don't like and naturally want to make it
      J.C. The seeing is not a judgement but a
      discernment. True Action is also the Realization. It is
      Whole-Action that leaves no scar . . . like the parting
      of water that leaves no trace of separation. The ego
      always leaves its mark, a scar of separation, which
      then creates another problem, another dis-ease.
      There is not one problem in the world or in
      oneself that cannot be solved by returning to
      Wholeness, which is the Realization. At the source of
      all advancement in society or the individual, is the
      Seed of Wholeness. It is this Seeing that is sacred. It
      is Sacred-Seeing that is the true Ceremony of the
      Savior, the Christ-Mass. Merry Christmas.
      Art: chunk of basilica fresco

      Jerry hypothesised:
      Religions and controlling teachers assign values and
      use personal power to impose them. A very good
      example these days is Ken Wilber, who is a strict
      assigner of values and exaggerates his personal
      power of intelligence to impose them. When he
      teams up with Andrew Cohen, who uses his
      exaggerated personal powers, you get a heck of a
      magazine! This is why it is said (mostly by the Sufi's, I
      believe) that the real teachers are 'impossible' to find.
      There are no flags waving in that one's hand.
      Real Teachers are very easy to find by Real Seekers.
      The Sufis say that the Men (includes women) of
      'greatest wisdom remain hidden'. The alchemists too
      say, 'those that know do not speak'.
      Real Teachers find those worthy of transmission and
      do so INDEPENDENT of any need to engage in
      spirituality. This is because they are transferring
      qualities - not information.
      It is possible (just about) for us to prepare or enhance
      our potential receptivity to Truth. We do so by the
      company we keep, the words and activities we
      engage in, the efforts we make.
      If we are sincere in our efforts we may find the
      qualities we prepare are enhanceable into genuine

      Erich Haenseler   AdvaitatoZen@yahoogroups.com
      The ego of me is an illusion
      Look through my eyes and see yourself!
      Look through buddhas eyes and see yourself! Look through your eyes and see ... yourself!
      If you look with no mind you look through
      everyones eyes.
      You become the realized teacher,
      the successful student, the insane sociopath and the person reading this.
      Share your mind! Open your mind! Adopt a new viewpoint! Meet yourself in the mirror of illusion! Where is the mirror of illusion?
      Carlos Santana Album Cover Silver Dreams Golden Smiles
      Live Journals http://www.nonduality.com/lj.htm (read more)
      ~ seraphimsigris http://www.livejournal.com/
      Building a House with Dimensional Doors--Join Me?
      Friends, "if you could be magically whisked to any
      place in the world where would you go?"
      It strikes me to ask myself, and YOU if you will, what
      doors I would put in, if I could live in a house with
      doors leading to any place I wished in space or time.

      ~ whiskchick - The Zen-Within Community's LiveJournal
      The Four Agreements
      Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid
      using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip
      about others. Use the power of your word in the
      direction of truth and love.
      Nothing others do is because of you. What others say
      and do is a projection of their own reality, their own
      dream. When you are immune to the opinions of
      others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering.
      Find the courage to ask questions and to express
      what you really want. Communicate with others as
      clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings,
      sadness, and drama. With just this one agreement,

      you can completely transform your life.
      Your best is going to change from moment to
      moment; It will be different when you are healthy as
      opposed to sick. Under any circumstance, simply do
      your best, and you will avoid self-judgment,
      self-abuse, and regret.
      ~ From The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz

      thomas murphy see-what-is@yahoogroups.com
      Meet Thyself
      Self may be regarded as a catalog of images
      documenting the experience
      of a particular perceptual node
      now emergent within the swirling intelligence
      of the infinite field of awareness.
      The curator of this personal library
      is an organizing principle
      that first manifests a perceiving organism,
      then uses it to record, correlate, organize
      and finally reflect upon experience.
      It is infinite intelligence eternally doing its thing.
      The trick of reflection, of course,
      is to quiet ripples
      in the sensitive medium of attention
      so the exquisite rhythms, melodies and sensations
      of the cosmic symphony
      may be discerned.
      Don Juan refers to this as
      "polishing one's connecting link with intent."
      Whether it is regarded as intent
      or as infinitely intelligent awareness,
      the challenge is to "see,"
      regardless of the solicitations of the moment.
      This means not disturbing the medium of attention
      with a shimmering montage of recollections.

      Warriors perception
      "The basic difference between an ordinary man and
      a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a
      challenge while an ordinary man takes everything
      either as a blessing or as a curse."
      Tales Of Power Carlos Castaneda

      Look, the mirror doesn't lie, look at yourself until
      there's nothing you can't say is 'I.'

      You could think of it as the source being the center of
      ourselves at all times, and we reach out in all
      directions to explore but never really go anywhere at

      Selfless service - lamed-vov
      I don’t know what your destiny will be, but one thing I
      do know: the only ones among you who will be really
      happy are those who have sought and found how to
      serve. -Albert Schweitzer
      For a special example of the volunteer spirit, look no
      further than the Jewish legend known as lamed-vov.
      According to this tradition, there are always thirty-six
      people alive in the world who selflessly contribute
      their services for those around them (lamed-vov
      means thirty-six).
      These thirty-six people may be famous, unknown,
      rich, or poor, but they are genuine and caring human
      beings who always look for ways that they can help
      others. They do not know that they are one of the
      lamed-vov, and anyone who claims that they are a
      lamed-vov is not.

      James Twyman Peace experiment
      "Don't try to bend the spoon, because that's
      impossible. Just realize the truth, that there is no
      spoon." (From the movie, "The Matrix")
      The Great Experiment III: By February 9 we hope to
      have 100,000 trained Lightworkers who will use the
      tools from the Spoonbenders Course to create a
      wave of peace that will wash over the whole planet.
      We have hired statisticians in Israel to scientifically
      measure the impact of the vigil on that day, an
      attempt to show the powerful effect of this modality of
      prayer. I have also received an invitation to travel to
      South Korea a few weeks later to perform the same
      peace work. I will need you there as well. We are
      forming an amazing team of Peaceful Warriors, and I
      am honored to have you with us.

      Kindling the Inexhaustible Lamp
      Yuanwu (1063-1135)
      Leaving behind all leakages, day by day you get
      closer to the truth and more familiar with it. As you go
      further, you change like a panther who no longer
      sticks to its den - you leap out of the corral. Then you
      no longer doubt all the sayings of the world's
      enlightened teachers - you are like cast iron. This is
      precisely the time to apply effort and cultivate
      practice and nourish your realization.
      After that you can kindle the inexhaustible Lamp and
      travel the unobstructed Path. You relinquish your body
      and your life to rescue living beings. You enable them
      to come out of their cages and eliminate their
      attachments and bonds. You cure them of the
      diseases of being attached to being enlightened, so
      that having emerged from the deep pit of liberation,
      they can become uncontrived, unencumbered, joyfully
      alive people of the Path.
      - Taken from Zen Letters - Teachings of Yuanwu -
      Translated by J.C. Cleary and Thomas Cleary (1994)

      freyjartist --Zen saying
      The wild geese do not intend to cast their reflection.
      The water has no mind to receive their image.
      John Metzger - BuddhaJones Cinema
      Trip out, man, but my favorite is still
      "The Mystic Nature of Life: Good, evil and donuts"

      Enlightenment through dancing Inner Rave http://innerrave.org/view.html
      John Gorman and Katherine Munro
      Dance and meditation come together in the
      experience of absolute spontaneity! When we are
      completely in tune with the music, not a thought in our
      mind, and no idea where the next beat will take us,
      then we are in touch with our own spontaneous
      perfection. This is dance as a spiritual path to
      "In this moment, when past thought has gone and
      future thought has not yet come, do not reconnect to
      any thought... Be awake, vibrant, crystal-clear, fully
      present." - Tulku Urgyen
      Inner Rave dancer

      A bit of fragrance always clings to the hand that gives you roses. (Chinese proverb)
      Edited by Christiana
      Highlights/NDS Search: http://nonduality.com/search.htm
      Letters to the editors:NDhighlights-owner@yahoogroups.com