Friday, January 3, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2003

      HIGHLIGHTS #1308 - Friday, January 3, 2003 - Edited by Gloria Lee
      Highlights/NDS Search: http://nonduality.com/search.htm
      Letters to the editors:NDhighlights-owner@yahoogroups.com

      ____________________________________

      Jerry Katz
      NDS

      One thing interesting to see is where people are coming from. Almost everyone on these 50 or so lists (not everyone) is a caricature of him- or herself. Some take a part of their persona or personal power and blow it up like a balloon which has a message written upon it. The message is always the same. The seeker migrates toward the most magnetic balloon, not the message. That is not seeking. Rather, it is being drawn. Seeking is an intentional look at suchness. It's quiet and attentional.

      If a person is drawn toward another, that needs to be looked at, because a personal power could be involved in creating that draw and, in a sense, that is a violence, an abuse. Still it's good to keep company of others of like mind.

      If a seeker is drawn to personal power or to the fireworks of a personality, then one needs to be aware of that, going in. The same is true for the fireworks of personal experience. If one is drawn to spiritual or mystical experiences because of some wonder they seem to hold, then it is a dynamic of strong seduction that requires attention.

      What is the nature of reality? The Avadhuta Gita says, "If the yogi is always related to knowledge and perception, to duality and unity, how can he be free here? How can a yogi be natural and free from attachment here? He is the enjoyer of pure, stainless, and homogeneous Being. ... Where one knows nothing, there is verily no versification. The supreme and free One, pure of thought, absorbed in the consciousness of the homogeneous Being, prattles about the Truth."

      Reality is plain, stainless. It has no draw on anyone. It is not magnetic. Personalities and experiences are magnetic or repelling. Facing reality is a quiet attentional gesture neither toward nor away from anything. Everything else is prattle.

      Jerry

      ____________________________________

      Mark Otter
      NDS

      A little prattle poem:

      Judgement seeds the cloud of judgement rain.
      I seem to seek my source again.
      I fall and fall and still I fall
      Though soil and roots and oak trees tall
      Do slow the downward motion -
      I still will find the ocean.

      ____________________________________

      V.Srinivasan
      Advaitin

      "Peace IS Presence Love IS Ineffable" wrote:
      dear friends,
      does anyone know of a Living Sage alive in the flesh Presently?
      i appreciate all your help...

      Namaste ,

      Everyone in this group is a sage, the closest but looks farthest one
      for you is the real you... Its up to you to bring out the sage in you
      or look at the sage in others...

      I can search for a friend or a parent or a spouse or a Guru
      outside...but its the very me which has to bring out those qualities
      in me to realize it..

      Pranams
      V.Srinivasan
      ____________________________________

      Jerry Katz
      NDS

      Jerry (jerry@...) has sent the following story to you
      from seattlepi.com.

      Hundreds pray and chant for peace on New Year's Eve
      As the last rush-hour traffic of 2002 whirred around Green Lake
      last night, hundreds of men, women and children gathered at the
      water's edge to take time out for peace.

      * Read the full article at:
      http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/102361_medidate01.shtml

      Keep track of what's happening around the Northwest, the nation
      and the world at http://www.seattlepi.com/ -- updated as news
      breaks.
      ____________________________________

      Terry Murphy
      Sufi Mystic

      from Master Ni's 'Hua Hu Ching' (in "The Complete Works of Lao-tzu")

      forty-eight

          "Venerable Teacher," said the prince, "I now understand that there are
      two approaches to true spiritual cultivation.  One is the affirmative
      approach which accepts and includes everything with a positive
      attitude.  From an ethical point of view, it means expanding universal
      virtue to all, regardless of any external condition.  This is different
      from the relative, affirmative attitude that is expounded by religions and
      which includes some things or people and excludes others.  According to the
      Universal Way, the affirmative approach excludes nothing.
          "The other approach to spiritual cultivation involves the denial of all
      things external to one's own true nature.  This includes the denial of all
      creations, all individuality, and all conditions.  Only by denying these
      things can you unveil and unfold layer after layer of illusion.  Finally,
      after all the layers have been peeled away, one comes to see the integral
      universal truth.
          "This may seem paradoxical, but the attitudes of affirmation and denial
      amount to the same thing.  We accept all and deny all at the same time.  If
      you deny all that is external to your true nature, you eliminate all mental
      entanglement and contamination and thereby raise your spirit and achieve
      crystal clarity.  But the same thing happens by accepting all things
      without any partiality toward one particular thing.  Both aspects are
      equally important, like the right and left hands.  In this way *yin* and
      *yang* assist each other in order to transcend duality and achieve integral
      awareness.
          "All of a person's viewpoints, concepts about life and religious
      convictions are a manifestation of his energy.  If one's mind is strongly
      conditioned, it is as if one measures everything with a crooked ruler; he
      can never measure anything accurately.  If one's aim, however, is to know
      the truth, then one must straighten and refine one's measuring instrument,
      for if the instrument is faulty, one cannot perceive reality precisely.
          "When the nervous system of a human being is restored and refined, one
      becomes calm and objective.  One can then see clearly and discover that
      although there is diversity in the universe, there is unity behind that
      diversity.  One may intellectually learn, understand and accept the unity
      of the universe, but this is very different from arriving at the unity
      through personal spiritual purification.  Struggling to achieve unity is
      not as natural as the spontaneous experience of and participation in unity
      itself.  One cannot perceive the unity of the universe in terms of subject
      and object and still call it unity."
          "Kind prince," said the master, "to the Universal One there is nothing
      to call unity and nothing to call diversity.  There is nothing to call
      subject and nothing to call object.  These are merely labels created by the
      dualistic mind."
      ____________________________________

      Frances Hunter
      Daily Dharma

      "Many sensations come, many thoughts or images arise,
      but they are just waves of your own mind,
      To realize pure mind in your delusions is practice.
      If you try to expel the delusion it will only persist the more.
      Just say, "Oh, this is just a delusion."
      And do not be bothered by it." ~Shunryu Suzuki

      From the book, "Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind," published by Weatherhill, Inc.

      kaleidoscope
      ____________________________________

      When you see a truck bearing down on you, by all means jump out of the way. But spend some time in meditation, too. Learning to deal with discomfort is the only way you'll be ready to handle the truck you didn't see.

      -Bhante Henepola Gunaratana, "Mindfulness in Plain English"

      Copyright Wisdom Publications 2001. Reprinted from "Daily Wisdom: 365 Buddhist Inspirations," edited by Josh Bartok, with permission of Wisdom Publications, 199 Elm St., Somerville MA 02144 U.S.A, www.wisdompubs.org.

      ____________________________________

      Gill Eardley
      Allspirit

      Dear Fellow Reader:

      The January TAT Forum is now available at
      http://www.tatfoundation.org/forum.htm.

      [ Editor's note: If that link won't work for you, try the main index, and look for latest forum #8]
      http://www.tatfoundation.org/index.htm

      This month's contents include:

      The Path (part 3) by Richard Rose | Who Am I? by RF Hay | Listening Attention
      Commentary by Bob Fergeson | Little Book of Life and Death reviewed by Gary
      Harmon | Do We Have to Give up S-E-X? from The Zoo Fence | Poems by Shawn Nevins
      | The Natural Koan by Shawn Nevins | Inspiration of Hopelessness by Bob Cergol |
      Humor

      We hope you'll find them inspiring.
      The Forum staff

      ____________________________________

      image from the TAT Forum

      Terry Murphy
      Sufi Mystic

      from "The Way of Chung Tzu," trans Merton:

      *Where is Tao?*

      Master Tung Kwo asked Chuang:
      "Show me where the Tao is found."
      Chuang Tzu replied:
      "There is nowhere it is not to be found."
      The former insisted:
      "Show me at least some definite place
      Where Tao is found."
      "It is in the ant," said Chuang.
      "Is it in some lesser being?"
      "It is in the weeds."
      "Can you go further down the scale of
          things?"
      "It is in this piece of tile."
      "Further?"
      "It is in this turd."
      At this Tung Kwo had nothing more to
          say.
      But Chuang continued, "None of your
          questions
      Are to the point.  They are like the
          questions
      Of inspectors in the market,
      Testing the weight of pigs
      By prodding them in their thinnest parts.
      Why look for Tao by going 'down the
          scale of being'
      As if that which we call 'least'
      Had less of Tao?
      Tao is Great in all things,
      Complete in all, Universal in all,
      Whole in all.  These three aspects
      Are distinct, but the Reality is One.

      "Therefore come with me
      To the palace of Nowhere
      Where all the many things are One:
      There at last we might speak
      Of what has no limitation and no end.
      Come with me to the land of Non-Doing:
      What shall we there say -- that Tao
      Is simplicity, stillness,
      Indifference, purity,
      Harmony and ease?  All these names leave
          me indifferent
      For their distinctions have disappeared.
      My will is aimless there.
      If it is nowhere, how should I be aware of
          it?
      If it goes and returns, I know not
      Where it has been resting.  If it wanders
      Here and there, I know not where it will
          end.
      The mind remains undetermined in the
          great Void.
      Here the highest knowledge
      Is unbounded.  That which gives things
      Their thusness cannot be delimited by
          things.
      So when we speak of 'limits,' we remain
          confined
      To limited things.
      The limit of the unlimited is called
          'fullness.'
      The limitlessness of the limited is called
          'emptiness.'
      Tao produces both renewal and decay,
      But is neither being nor non-being.
      Tao assembles and it destroys,