Monday, December 23, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 24, 2002
      The Teide - same mountain, never looking the same.
      At the places where the pics were taken,
      the wind is the only sound.
      --Jan Barendrecht NDS

      Issue #1297 - Monday, December 23, 2002 - Editor: Jerry

      Highlights/NDS Search: http://nonduality.com/search.htm
      Letters to the editors:NDhighlights-owner@yahoogroups.com

      dg from Daily Dharma

      "(Jesus saw rich people putting their gifts into the treasury, and he
      saw a poor widow put in two small copper coins): 'Truly, I tell you,
      this poor widow has put in more than all of them; for all of them have
      contributed out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty has put
      in all she has to live on.

      Buddha: Giving is the noble expression of the benevolence of the mighty.
      Even dust, given in childish innocence, is a good gift. No gift that is
      given in good faith to a worthy recipient can be called small; its
      effect is so great."

      What gifts are we giving this season?  It is easy to buy a material gift
      with our "riches" - are there other gifts, that cost so little, but we
      guard so preciously, that we could also give? How about that relative
      who drives us batty with his complaining?  Can we give her a smile, an
      ear to listen to what she is really trying to say - perhaps a few words
      of kindness?  We all have someone in our lives who is "estranged" - can
      we make contact with them, give the gift of forgiveness? We do not have
      to list many examples; we all know in our hearts what the "two copper
      coins" are in our own lives, and the difficulty we have even with the
      thought of parting from them.  "Worthy" - hey, unworthy! recipients wait
      for our benevolence -  may we know the "great effect" of letting go. ~dg

      The quotes of Christ and Buddha are from the book, "Jesus and Buddha,
      The Parallel Sayings," by Borg, published by Ulysses Press.

      Blessings to all.  May peace and peace and peace be everywhere.

      MICHAEL READ
      from NDS News Service http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NDSN

      Homeless give Christmas check to officer

      Tuesday, December 24, 2002

      http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/Northeast/12/24/homeless.gift.ap/

      NEW YORK (AP) -- A police officer got a Christmas gift of $3,000 from homeless people who wanted to thank him for standing up for them.

      Officer Eduardo Delacruz was suspended for 30 days without pay last month after he refused a sergeant's order to arrest a homeless man found sleeping in a garage.

      In gratitude, organizations for the homeless put together the fund for the 37-year-old officer, his wife and their five children. Homeless people also contributed change scrounged from passers-by, money earned from recycling cans and bottles, even a portion of their welfare checks.

      "We just wanted to thank him by contributing however we could," said Joe Bostic, one of 30 former and current homeless men and women who announced the gift. "And a lot of us gave quarters, nickels and dimes."

      According to police, Delacruz told his superiors in the department's Homeless Outreach Unit that he would not arrest a homeless man on Nov. 22 because the man had nowhere else to go. The officer was suspended for refusing to comply with an order.

      Delacruz's attorney, Norman Siegel, said the officer was back at work Tuesday but was "very moved" by what the homeless did.

      The officer and his family "specifically asked me to say, 'God bless everyone, especially the homeless,"' Siegel said.

      J.P. POFFANDI
      NDS

      Check it out - from the depths of the heart - the Living Light of
      Love Sings.

      I love you - yeah you - like Nick Cage loved Cher.

      There's no time like the present moment to point and click:

      http://atomfilms.shockwave.com/af/content/atom_535
      "So what if his face is smeared with coal dust? The man can sing, especially to the dream behind the blinds. This lovely peek into the power of untouched fantasy does a heart good. ... The aria is performed by tenor Richard Margison."

      (Canadian made, of course)

      ---------------------

      And from Canada's own Neil Young - that Shining Being of Love
      and Honesty!

      "Heart Of Gold"

      I want to live,
      I want to give
      I've been a miner
      for a heart of gold.

      It's these expressions
      I never give
      That keep me searching
      for a heart of gold
      And I'm getting old.
      Keeps me searching
      for a heart of gold
      And I'm getting old.

      I've been to Hollywood
      I've been to Redwood
      I crossed the ocean
      for a heart of gold
      I've been in my mind,
      it's such a fine line
      That keeps me searching
      for a heart of gold
      And I'm getting old.
      Keeps me searching
      for a heart of gold
      And I'm getting old.

      Keep me searching
      for a heart of gold
      You keep me searching
      for a heart of gold
      And I'm getting old.
      I've been a miner
      for a heart of gold.

      ROB RABBIN
      from his newsletter

      Dear Friends,

      I am currently working on a new book, "Crimes Against Consciousness:
      A Spiritual Manifesto for Social Activism," with co-author Deborah
      Masters.

      We would like to invite you to participate in this project by writing
      a short essay  (300 words) describing a mystical experience you may
      have had, and what it taught you about the nature of reality.
      "Mystical experience" is our term for those times of deep, selfless
      connection with life, when you enter the Oneness and become All,
      wherein you are full and whole and wildly in love with creation. Some
      examples can be found on my website
      <http://www.robrabbin.com/epiph.html>, although feel free to write in
      any style and manner that best expresses your experience.

      We are going to print these pieces in a chapter called"Epiphanies."
      The purpose of this chapter is to show the universality of the
      experience of Oneness, and what this  shows us about the truth beyond
      the mind.

      We hope you will take the time to write and submit an essay for
      inclusion in our book! PLEASE send your full name and mailing address
      or fax number along with your essay, as we will need to send you a
      one paragraph release form for your signature.  PLEASE feel free to
      forward this request to anyone who might be interested in
      participating. If we get inundated with essays, we may spin off
      another book project, called "Epiphanies."

      Our deadline for these essays is January 15, 2003. For your
      convenience, submissions are happily accepted by return e-mail. We do
      reserve the right to edit for grammar and length, but you have our
      promise to respect the integrity of your writing.

      Everyone whose essays are accepted for inclusion in the book will
      receive a complimentary signed copy, upon publication.

      Thank you so much for your participation,

      Robert Rabbin
      Robert's new book, "Igniting the Soul at Work: A Mandate for Mystics,"
      is now available through bookstores and Amazon.com.
      (ISBN 1571742719; Hampton Roads, 2002, 143 pages, $15.95)
      ROBERT RABBIN
      "A Catalyst for Clarity"

      20 Sunnyside Avenue
      Suite A-118