Wednesday, December 18, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 20, 2002
      Issue #1292 - Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - Editor: Jerry

      GLORIA LEE
      from NDS News

      Miracle, the Sacred White Female Buffalo Calf, was born on the farm
      of Dave, Valerie, and Corey Heider during the morning of August 20,
      1994. Not an albino, she is considered to be the first white
      buffalo calf born since 1933. Furthermore, she is extremely
      important to the religious beliefs of many American Indian tribes.
      The Lakota, Dakota, and Nakota Nations (known collectively as the
      Sioux) are considered her primary spiritual guardians and she plays
      a pivotal role in the fulfillment of their most revered prophecies.
      However, her place in the prophecies and beliefs of many tribes
      make her a highly sacred symbol to many of the American Indian
      Nations across the continent. She is seen by a vast number of
      people as a symbol of hope and renewal for humanity and for harmony
      between all peoples, all races, in our world today.

      ------------------

      The white calf changes colors over the first few years, to black,
      red, and yellow to include all races.

      http://www.homestead.com/WhiteBuffaloMiracle/MiracleEarlyYears.html

      GILL EARDLEY
      from Allspirit

      Stopping By The Woods On A Snowy Evening
      Robert Frost.

      Whose woods these are I think I know.
      His house is in the village though.
      He will not see me stopping here
      To watch his woods fill up with snow.

      My little horse must think it queer
      To stop without a farmhouse near
      Between the woods and frozen lake
      The coldest evening of the year.

      He gives his harness bells a shake
      To ask if there is some mistake.
      The only other sound's the sweep of
      easy wind and downy flake.

      The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
      But I have promises to keep
      And miles to go before I sleep.
      And miles to go, before I sleep."

      JOSEPH RILEY
      from Panhala

      On Being Called to Prayer
      While Cooking Dinner for Forty

      When the heavens and the earth
      are snapped away like a painted shade,
      and every creature called to account,
      please forgive me my head
      full of chickpeas, garlic, and parsley.
      I am in love with the lemon
      on the counter, and the warmth
      of my brother's shoulder distracted me
      when we stood to pray.
      The imam took us over
      for the first prostration,
      but I kept one ear cocked
      for the cry of the kitchen timer,
      thrilled to realize today's cornbread
      could become tomorrow's stuffing.
      This thrift may buy me ten warm minutes
      in bed tomorrow, before the singer
      climbs the minaret in the dark,
      to wake me to the work
      of thought, word, deed.
      I have so little time to finish (only I
      know how to turn the dish, so the first taste
      makes my brother's eyes open wide) -
      forgive me, this pleasure
      seems more urgent than the prayer -
      I take refuge in You
      from the inextricable mischief
      of every thing You made,
      eggs, milk, cinnamon, kisses, sleep.

      ~ Patrick Donnelly
      The Virginia Quarterly Review

      from Daily Dharma

      "The 'secret' of life that we are all looking for is just this: to
      develop through sitting and daily life practice the power and
      courage to return to that which we have spent a lifetime hiding
      from, to rest in the bodily experience of the present moment - even
      if it is a feeling of being humiliated, or failing, of abandonment,
      of unfairness."

      ~Charlotte Joko Beck

      from The Other Syntax

      When you see there are no longer familiar features in the world.
      Everything is new. Everything has never happened before. The world is
      incredible! Nothing is any longer familiar. Everything you gaze at
      becomes nothing! Things simply become nothing and yet they are still
      there.

      A SEPARATE REALITY
      Carlos Castaneda

      SAM
      from Million Paths

      Be careful.The moment you start talking you create a verbal universe,
      a universe of words, ideas, concepts and abstractions, interwoven
      and inter-dependent, most wonderfully generating, supporting and
      explaining each other and yet all without essence or substance,
      mere creations of the mind. Words create words, reality is silent.

      from I AM THAT, Nisargadatta

      MARKANDEYA

      Bhakti

      The scriptures tell us to love God with all our being, with every moment of our existence, more than family, wife and children.

      What is meant by this exactly?

      It is not a call to love our family less, no no, it is a call to love all more

      To love God first means to love all. God is the root, the trunk, and the flower of life, the All-In-All. The dictum to 'love God first and foremost' is a dictum then to love all.

      This means that we must not love our family less, but rather, we should love the whole of existence as our family. It is a call to love, this dictum.

      This universal love is called samarasya or samávesha, meaning 'same sightedness'. In this universal love there is no room to love 'this' more than 'that', nor is there any room to 'hate this' and to 'love that'.

      Sadhana will bear lasting and meaningful fruit only when one cultivates 'sameness' towards all. Sadhana will not bear fruit when 'selective affection' for only a few exists, nor will it bear fruit when hatred abides within.

      See yourself in others, for love, hatred, anger, jealousy, envy, desire, passion and greed are the same for all.

      As you feel, so too does your brother.

      As you need, so too does your sister.

      To love God foremost is to love all, is to love itself.

      Guru Om
      Markandeya
      4/22/02

      AL LARUS