Friday, December 6, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2002
      .
      Solar Eclipse of December 4, 2002

      "The mind must learn that beyond the moving mind there is a background of
      awareness which does not change.  The mind must come to know the true self
      and respect it and cease covering it up, like the moon which obscures the
      sun during a solar eclipse."
      Gems from Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj's Conversations
      Manuel Hernandez on A Net ofJewels
      ____________________

      HIGHLIGHTS #1280
      December 6, 2002
      Edited by Gloria
      _____________________

      Mark Otter
      NDSN

      http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/barbour/barbour_index.html

      In a profile in The Sunday Times (October, 1998), Steve Farrar wrote:
      "Barbour argues that we live in a universe which has neither past nor
      future. A strange new world in which we are alive and dead in the same
      instant. In this eternal present, our sense of the passage of time is
      nothing more than a giant cosmic illusion. 'There is nothing modest
      about my aspirations,' he said. 'This could herald a revolution in the
      way we perceive the world.'" Cosmologist Lee Smolin notes that Barbour
      has presented "the most interesting and provocative new idea about
      time to be proposed in many years. If true, it will change the way we
      see reality. Barbour is one of the few people who is truly both
      a scientist and a philosopher."

      MJ Gilbert
      Along the Way

              Break the old pattern of present-moment denial
              and present-moment resistance.  Make it your
              practice to withdraw attention from past and
              future whenever they are not needed.  Step out
              of the time dimension as much as possible in
              everyday life.

                               - Eckhart Tolle

      Jerry Katz
      NDSN

      Man who claimed responsibility for "Bigfoot" legend in America dies at 84
      Thu Dec 5,10:18 PM ET

      SEATTLE - The man who used 16-inch (40-centimeter) feet-shaped carvings to create
      tracks that ignited the "Bigfoot" legend has died. He was 84.

      Ray L. Wallace's family admitted his role in the creature myth after his death Nov. 26
      from heart failure.

      Freya
      NDS

      Who's laughing "at" who anyway?  We laugh "in" delight and joy or at the absurdity of
      pain, not 'at' misfortune.  It's not about laughing and feeling pleasure at another's
      misfortune.  We're all in this together, and i mean, all.

      I do not enjoy seeing someone's joy squashed at every turn, no matter where it is
      perceived to another that joy comes from. I believe in the displaying of joy as a gift to
      the world, without being resented for it. There are those that like to judge this joy,
      search for ulterior motives, etc. and for some reason they have to hurt this expression
      of joy...the kind of joy coming from a benevolent sense of life....resting in the
      innocence of all....but, what do they know? They cant see it themselves, so that
      expression becomes suspect.

      It's not like i don't see how this squashing could also facilitate the return to
      innocence....by sacrifice. Is that how we want to do things? I don't.

      But, you see, ultimately, i and everyone else was born innocent and that is how "I" will
      remain forever.

      People punish each other, they negate, they degrade, they ridicule, they insult, they
      point out--unable to conceive that it is that person's best, their best in that moment.
      Perhaps the people who degrade....i suppose this is their best in the moment as well.
      People do things because of themselves, it has nothing to do with another.  It does no
      good to resent them they way they resent others.....it just perpetuates the cycle.  But, if
      there is an evil, then that is it.

      Ayn Rand wrote:

      "The evil of a cultural atmosphere is made by all those who share it.  Anyone who has
      ever felt resentment against the good being the good,  and has given voice to it, is the
      murderer of innocence."

      Wildlife Crossing

      A protester holds a dead oil-covered bird crucified on a cross in Santiago de
      Compostela, northwestern Spain, on Dec. 1 during a demonstration to demand the
      resignation of Prime Minister Jose Maria Aznar and Galicia Province  President
      Manuel Fraga. The protesters accused the government of failing to handle the crisis
      caused by the sinking of an oil tanker and the leaking of its cargo.

      Amrita Osborne
      Daily Dharma

      "When you think of the Buddha, his life and deeds, what comes to your
      mind? Which among his many qualities do you find most inspiring and
      worthy of respect? I asked this question recently to a group of
      Polytechnic students who I have been teaching in Singapore, and nearly
      every one of them answered, 'Compassion.' They were inspired by the way
      the Buddha treated everyone with gentle, kind-hearted compassion; even
      his rivals and detractors; even his cousin Devadatta who was fiercely
      jealous of the Buddha and tried on several occasions to kill him.
      Moreover, the Buddha's compassion extended beyond the human realm to
      include animals and all other beings, and he taught his followers to
      practice likewise. The first and most important precept in Buddhism is
      to try as much as possible to refrain from killing or harming any living
      being, even the tiniest of insects.

      Compassion is a quality desperately needed in the world today. If there
      could be more compassion in people's hearts and lives, if more people
      could develop the awareness that: 'Just as I do not like being hurt,
      others also do not like being hurt, so we should stop hurting each
      other,' then there would be far fewer stories in the news about war,
      terrorism and violent crimes. All the cruel things human beings do to
      one another are due to a lack of compassion. It is compassion that keeps
      us from harming others. My teacher, Lama Zopa Rinpoche, has pointed out
      that if we can develop compassion for all beings, then all beings are
      safe from being harmed by us. All beings, especially those around us,
      have nothing to fear from us, so indirectly our development of
      compassion brings peace to everyone. Imagine what the world would be
      like if we were all to develop such compassion!" ~Ven. Sangye Khadro

      -----------------------------
      From the explanations on the "Eight Verses of Thought Transformation,"
      from the web site, "The Amitabha Center,"
      http://www.singnet.com.sg/~fmptsing/d-8v.html
      ------------------------------
      Blessings to all.  May peace and peace and peace be everywhere.

      Joyce
      NDS

      Joyce
      HarshaSatsangh

      In the Zen garden at Three Wheels, London.
      ............is a hanging inscription on the viewing platform wall:

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Here in the garden

      do not ask who made it,

      or why, or when.