Thursday, November 5, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2002

      The meaning of life is to see.

      ~ Hui Neng

      (from Joseph Riley, Panhala)

      Issue #1279 - Thursday, November 5, 2002 - Edited by Jerry

      from The Other Syntax

      "A warrior could be injured but not offended. For a warrior there
      is  nothing offensive about the acts of his fellow men as long as
      he himself is acting within the proper mood."

      Journey To Ixtlan,
      Carlos Castaneda

      Warriors, bronze, 18", Emanuel Martinez  http://www.webpan.com/emanuel/

      RAM CHANDRAN
      Advaitin

      Namaste:

      I find this introductory paragraph of the book is an excellent
      summary of An Advaitic Explanation of Dreams!

      Instead of dreaming about dreams, we should learn to accept and
      convert the present world as heaven instead of treating it as hell!

      regards,

      Ram Chandran

      ----------------------

      Title of the Book: What is Spiritual Freedom  Author: Harold Klemp

      "You can make your heaven here and now. The more you understand
      this,  the greater your spiritual freedom.  Imagine you're locked
      in a tiny, dark room. Feeling sad and alone,  you lie down on the
      floor. Then you have a dream. In the dream you're  visiting with a
      friendly stranger. His face is pleasant, familiar.  He explains
      you've made this room of problems for yourself. You shut  and
      locked the door when you started pushing against these problems.
      However, he says you can get to the spiritual root of your
      problems.  The door can be unlocked and opened from the inside - if
      you know the  secret.

      "When you awaken, you see he is right. You unlock the door, pull it
       toward you, and step out... "

      Viuda, oil, 24"x30", Emanuel Martinez  http://www.webpan.com/emanuel/

      STANLEY SOBOTTKA
      from The Course in Consciousness
      http://faculty.virginia.edu/consciousness/

      Chapter 16.
      Love seeking Itself
      (updated Nov. 1, 2002)

      Most religions and spiritualities  teach the value, power, and
      necessity of love. What is the role of  love in Advaita? In order
      to answer this question, one must  distinguish between what the
      world thinks is love, and what Love  really is as seen by the jnani
      (the sage). According to the jnani,  Love is a term which can be
      used to describe Consciousness  expressing itself as the
      manifestation. In enlightenment, this is  seen directly (see
      Chapter 25).

      Ramesh has said, "The presence of separation is the absence of
      love, and the presence of love is the absence of separation". In
      the meditation for January 13 in A Net of Jewels (1997), he says,
      "It is only when you arrive at the deepest conviction that the same
      life flows through everything, and that you ARE that life, that you
      can begin to love naturally and spontaneously" and in the
      meditation for June 26, he says, "Love, not as an expression of
      separateness based on emotion, but as compassion, is that which
      holds the world together in Unicity. In Unicity we do not love
      others we ARE them." In From Seekers to Finders (2000), Satyam
      Nadeen says, "....my only definition of love is embracing whatever
      is, just as it is, and only because it is---without conditions that
      it be other than what it is". In As It Is (2000), Tony Parsons
      says, "All and everything emanates from silence and unconditional
      love." In The Wisdom of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj (1992) by Robert
      Powell, Nisargadatta Maharaj is quoted as saying, "When all the
      false self-identifications are thrown away, what remains is
      all-embracing love."

      Those who still see themselves as individuals are usually unaware
      of the transcendental love which even they are part of. Religion
      sometimes points to it, but since it is not a concept or rule of
      behavior, it cannot be packaged in a doctrine and taught.

      How is transcendental love different from worldly love?
      Transcendental love is always unconditional since it recognizes no
      change, and it is impersonal since it recognizes no person. It
      transcends all objects so it cannot be directed towards any object.
      On the other hand, since the perception of separation is the
      distinguishing feature of ignorance, worldly love is always
      dualistic, and hence is based on the desire-fear polarity. It is
      highly personal and can take the form of pleasure, completeness,
      joy, desire, loneliness, jealousy, possession, guilt,
      responsibility, need, identification, subjugation, or surrender. It
      is emotion or sentiment felt while perceiving separation and is
      thus in a different realm from transcendental love. However, since
      transcendental love is the background of everything in
      manifestation, even worldly love partakes of it while remaining
      largely unaware of it.

      Personal love relationships have also been called special
      relationships because they occur only between specific people in
      special circumstances. They are conditional and changing, but all
      are a form of bondage because they are always infected by power
      struggles (see Sections 11.3 and 11.4) and are invariably
      guilt-ridden (see Section 11.5). Furthermore, because they are
      barter relationships, they depend on the mutual satisfaction of
      expectations and demands. When these are met, there is temporary
      gratification, gratitude, and enhanced self-esteem, but when they
      are ignored or refused, there is dismay, rejection, and guilt.
      Because barter relationships can survive only as long as each side
      has, and is willing to give, something the other wants, many
      personal love relationships end in disillusion. Others, after a
      long period of partly met and partly disappointed expectations,
      settle down to resigned acceptance (not true acceptance, see
      Chapters 19 and 24). Still others, after surviving their initial
      specialness, approach the unconditional nature of transcendental
      love.

      In romantic love, especially as reflected in popular culture, the
      much sought "soul mate" is the perceived missing half of a
      perceived duality ("opposites attract"). Ironically, when the soul
      mate is finally found and possessed, the ego feels even more needy
      and incomplete. (Here, we shall speak as though the ego exists,
      while knowing that it does not.) It fears the loss of both the
      other and itself. Guilt is seen as a necessary part of this "love",
      both for its intensity ("love hurts"), and as a tool to manipulate
      the other ("if you really loved me you would......."). So as not to
      lose the other, the ego may become neurotically dependent ("I can't
      live without you") or remorseful ("please forgive me"), or make
      promises ("I'll never do it again"). And it may try to regain its
      lost self-esteem by inducing jealousy ("if you don't love me, I'll
      find somebody who will") or by belittling ("without me you would be
      nothing").

      A more exalted form of worldly love is identification with an
      object or person. This can occur in marital and familial
      relationships. It can also occur in bhakti, the practice of
      devotion and surrender to God or to a guru, which we shall discuss
      in Chapter 19. In identification with another, separation tends to
      vanish. When it extends to the entire human race, it becomes the
      universal love that was taught as a spiritual practice by Jesus.
      Identification with another is perhaps as close as we can come to
      transcendental love while still retaining a belief in separation.
      Because intuition is the link between separation and wholeness, it
      is intuition that gives us a sense of transcendental love even
      within the illusion of separation.

      Identification with another may be a result of nonlocality of mind,
      defined in Section 14.2. The feeling of closeness and identity that
      exists between many people may be more real than they suspect
      because two or more minds may actually overlap if their subtle
      bodies overlap, as was suggested in Section 14.2. Those who are
      able to sense auras can easily sense when one person’s aura expands
      to include another person’s. A very common experience among
      spiritual seekers is the feeling of peace and serenity that
      prevails in an ashram or other gathering of seekers. This
      experience is especially striking when one is enveloped in the aura
      of a powerful yogi like Master Charles of the Synchronicity
      Foundation. Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, the founder of Transcendental
      Meditation, has elevated it into a guiding principle, which he
      calls the "Maharishi Effect". This states that, when a group of
      people are meditating together, they create a harmonious, tranquil
      influence that is felt not only by the meditators, but also by
      anybody else in their vicinity. He has even formulated it into a
      quantitative principle by stating that the number of people whose
      mental states are harmonized by a group of people meditating is
      equal to one hundred times the square of the number of people
      meditating.

      Some spiritual teachers (e.g., Gangaji) speak of a single, profound
      experience of awakening that occurred while they were in the
      presence of their master. They call this phenomenon "transmission",
      and it might result from the overlap of subtle bodies discussed in
      the previous paragraph (see also Section 18.4). Other teachers say
      it happens more gradually over time. Ramesh has called it "magic",
      and some teachers (e.g., Francis Lucille) at times call it the
      "direct path", but this is only one form of the direct path (see
      Section 22.3).

      Madonna, oil, 9"x12", Emanuel Martinez  http://www.webpan.com/emanuel/

      In his 1993 book, The Self-Aware Universe, Amit Goswami has
      suggested that, if the brain has a quantum part, nonlocal mind
      might be an effect of a Bell-Aspect type of correlation (see
      Section 4.3). From this we might speculate that, if two people are
      initially in substantial mental agreement or alignment when they
      are in close proximity, their quantum brains might overlap, and a
      correlation might be established that could persist even if they
      become separated by large distances. Perhaps this correlation would
      then be experienced as love.

      Love, whether worldly or transcendental, always includes
      acceptance. Acceptance of Totality as it is in every moment is one
      of the characteristics of whole mind, as we shall see in Chapter
      19. Even in split mind, the more acceptance there is, the less
      separation and the more love (see Chapter 24).

      Ardent transcendental love can be present even while the perception
      of separation still exists. An example is the all-encompassing love
      for Truth by the Truth seeker (see Section 17.3). This is Love
      seeking Itself. (See Chapter 25 for a discussion of Love finding
      Itself).

      MICHAEL READ
      NDS

      A pastor was giving the children's message during church. For  this
      part of the service, he would gather all the children around  him
      and give a brief lesson before dismissing them for children's
      church. On this particular Sunday, he was using squirrels for an
      object lesson on industry and preparation. He started out by
      saying, 'I'm going to describe something, and I want you to raise
      your hand when you know what it is.' The children nodded eagerly.

      'This thing lives in trees (pause) and eats nuts (pause)...' No
      hands went up. 'And it is gray (pause) and has a long bushy tail
      (pause)...' The children were looking at each other, but still no
      hands raised. 'And it jumps from branch to branch (pause) and
      chatters and flips its tail when it's excited (pause)...'

      Finally one little boy tentatively raised his hand. The pastor
      breathed a sigh of relief and called on him. 'Well...,' said the
      boy, 'I *know* the answer must be Jesus...but is sure sounds like
      a squirrel to me!'