Monday, December 2, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2002

      Issue #1276 - Monday, December 2, 2002 - Edited by Jerry

      NDS News

      You are invited to join a new list. It is called NDS News. Here is
      the list description, followed by the URL:

      This group is dedicated to news stories bearing on nondual
      perspective. Send links along with brief excerpts which convey the
      spirit of the story. Stories could be found using Google News
      search engine http://news.google.com/ or any other news source.
      While this isn't a discussion group, if a story prompts discussion
      we wouldn't want to discourage it either. Also feel free to ask
      questions about searching for news stories, or suggest hints on how
      to search.

      MICHAEL READ
      from NDS News

      This is a real moving account of nd news.

      warning - those susceptible to crying jags should have hankies
      handy.

      ---------------

      ted turner - peace hero

      ask him, he'll tell ya!

      love this guy - michael

      ----------------

      JERRY

      http://www.crgazette.com/go_article/0,1336,46478%252D11,00.html?cks=0

      December is busy with world's celebrations

      By Sue Davis Smith
      The Gazette Saturday, November 30, 2002

      The start of Hanukkah on Friday marked the beginning of many
      seasonal days of celebration during the month of December.  Jews
      will celebrate Hanukkah through Dec. 7. Buddhists will then sit in
      meditation to honor Rohatsu on Dec. 8, the day that commemorates
      the enlightenment of Buddha.

      Next comes the end of Ramadan, Yule, Christmas and finally, at the
      end of the month, Kwanzaa.

      These are important days within several religious traditions (the
      exception being Kwanzaa, which is more of a cultural holiday).
      Holiday greetings and acknowledgment of a person's religion may be
      one way to get to know people of other faith.

      -----------

      Posted on Mon, Dec. 02, 2002

      God and the Boy Scouts For me, Scouting was never about belief in a
      particular religion or deity

      RICK WEISS Washington Post

      JAN BARENDRECHT
      from NDS

      Lately, there had been some weird feelings. So sir  Fritz visited
      an exorcist, who told him his ego had been infested  with woodworm,
      a nasty creature that would not stop until it had  gobbled up the
      entire ego! As sir Fritz managed to function  properly despite the
      intense fear, the exorcist suggested him to  seek help from a
      famous shackman, called Bucksing Mee Woo (BMW man  for devotees)..

      Bucksing Mee Woo started to diagnose sir Fritz: "Your ego  needs an
      upgrade first. It has to be made strong enough  to face the
      woodworm, so that it gets accepted as a  challenge to reject it.
      What you need is a cure with  concepts - ego woodworms despise
      them. To begin with, a  course on the constituents of the ego, how
      they  influence each other, and how to harmonize their random
      vibration using the cosmic scales as indicated by your  horoscope.

      Next, there has to be a boost of selfishness as without  that, it
      is impossible to know what is meant with a  spontaneous act of
      selfless profits. This requires a  course on the ego's higher and
      lower selves, and the  soul which is unaffected by them, and how
      the three are  on warfare in your body, which is why you are so
      obese:  to make room for three entities who like to have a  private
      place and a large battlefield as well.

      The higher self has to learn how to conquer the lower  self, and
      when that has been done, it can train the ego  woodworm to dig
      astral holes in the fabric of  multidimensional space-time, which
      will serve to perform  seeming miracles by hyperspace projection.
      In order for  this to have an optimized market value, a crash
      course  in advanced spiritual individuality is recommended.
      Graduating from this course will entitle you to use the  title of
      "gooroo, B.S.".*

      Then you'll be ready for the course in soul-stirring  events for
      professionals, to get the taste of what it  could be like when the
      soul controls more higher and  lower selves, the egos, and itself,
      and gets so  ethereally dense, that it spontaneously disintegrates
      into the subset of the overself which only knows the  supreme
      "above (no-)others".

      Please pay $1,010 for this diagnose and $5,500 for the  first
      course in "constituents of the ego", sir Fritz."

      Jan

      *B.S. = Bachelor of Science

      JERRY

      I'm looking for the most nondually correct way of saying Doing
      Nothing:

      How about, 'Neither Doing Nor Not Doing Neither Nothing Nor Not
      Nothing'

      AL LARUS

      'Neither Beyond nor not Beyond Neither Being nor not Being Knower
      Neither Knowing nor not Knowing Doer Doing Nor Not Doing Neither
      Nothing Nor Not Nothing' will at least help us to Remember nothing
      at least having no idea of Remembering or not Remembering neither
      not Remembering nor not Remembering Neither Nothing Nor Not Nothing

      JAN BARENDRECHT

      Movement an observed property of elementary matter and compound
      structures, indicates the possibility of friction, wearing, tiring,
      destruction, temperature rise etc. Doing is the illusive
      interpretation of friction, by a likewise illusive entity. Hence,
      doing is but the word from the dictionary, indicating a link
      between a doer and doing, the default way of expressing a
      subject/object relationship. When 1 is illusive, so is the other.
      The universe has no doer/executioner but the illusive "i" entity.

      GREG GOODE

      Several years ago, you only had to precede every word with a "not,"
      and it was enough. Like, "not-speaking, from not-Greg, to
      not-Jerry." Now, as if to avoid getting caught in the "not" stance,
      you've got to take steps to avoid it, while at the same time
      avoiding positive assertions and attributions. So now you've gotta
      say "Neither speaking nor not-speaking, from neither Greg nor
      not-Greg, to neither Jerry nor not-Jerry."

      (you know what...),

      --Greg

      SCOTT MORRISON
      contributed by Tim Gerchmez

      The True Path Is the One that Works

      There is some irony in the apparent fact that where honesty and
      clarity are most needed, they may seem so compromised, confused,
      and  elusive. In truth, there is no path, no road, and no separate
      one to  walk it. These are just a metaphors for reality -- the
      dharma,  satsang, how it is, how it works -- such that "the way" is
      also the  destination. Concerning this issue of spiritual awakening
      and  liberation, there are many people with varying degrees of
      purity,  skill, and understanding from both East and West, from
      traditional to  contemporary, who are essentially selling water by
      the river. There  is also sometimes a kind of subtle competition
      with other people who  are doing the same thing, and perhaps
      considerable alarm if someone  comes along who is giving the water
      away, to say nothing of those who  are telling people about the
      river. This may be inevitable, given the  dualistic nature of
      thought, as well as the mind's tendency to think  only in terms of
      its own motives and repeat belief and opinion prior  to
      investigation.

      At some point, for a variety of reasons, we may identify with a
      particular religion or organization or path, perhaps because, to
      some  degree at least, it offers some useful insights and/or group
      support.  Further, there may be a charismatic teacher, or peer
      pressure or  encouragement, or maybe we're just tired of looking,
      and here are  some people who seem to have at least some of the
      critical answers.  At a certain stage for many people, this process
      may be helpful, so  long as the motives of the student are pure and
      remain pure. It is  important to keep in mind, however, that even
      if it is uncorrupted,  no one designs a given "spiritual path" or
      methodology specifically  for you. At best, those means may reflect
      the insights and  understandings and patterns of the particular
      person or people who  put them together. However, ultimately,
      sooner or later, the real  question persists: What is "the true
      way?"

      The true way is, simply put, the one that works. No one else can
      find  it out for you. You must discover it yourself. Satsang, the
      dharma,  the truth that liberates, is not yours unless you have
      investigated  and verified it so thoroughly that there is no longer
      any doubt. Even  genuine mystical paths eventually deliver you to
      this point, and then  the rest is completely up to you. You must be
      the pure scientist, the  pure artist, and the pure mystic.
      Otherwise, some water-down, pre- packaged institutional version
      will prevail. You must look with your  own eyes, hear with your own
      ears, observe, and consider very  carefully with your own heart.
      Then, and only then, can you speak  with your own voice.

      The requirements are simple and non-negotiable: a rigorous,
      uncompromising, unrelenting and irreversable commitment to direct
      observation and honesty, as well as an absolute willingness to be
      transformed, completely, by what is discovered to be real and true.

      There is also one other that is most helpful, and a perfect and
      direct reflection of spiritual surrender itself: an unconditional
      willingness to support others in that process

      From There Is Only Now
      by Scott Morrison

      GENE POOLE
      from NDS

      For your research efforts:

      "I asked at the outset 'What is all this? What is all this stuff -
      all this experience that I seem to be having, all the time?'. I
      have now arrived at the answer that all this stuff is a grand
      illusion. This has not solved the problems of consciousness, but at
      least it tells us that there is no point trying to explain the
      difference between things that are in consciousness and those that
      are not because there is no such difference. And it is a waste of
      time trying to explain the contents of the stream of consciousness
      because the stream of consciousness does not exist."

      JOHN METZGER

      Thought for the Day

      I saw the movie, Bowling for Columbine. It is one of the great
      awareness wake  up calls of our era. Michael Moore addresses the
      fundamental issues of our  society in a beautifully curious and
      honest way.

      An extraordinary piece of work, it is the most highly attended
      documentary  ever made and the energy is probably just beginning.

      He shows the perspective of many things that we take for granted by
      going  across the bridge from Detroit into Canada to see what
      things are like there  compared to here in the U.S.

      This film shows in an innocently curious way so many things. Like
      Michael  Moore walking up to people's doors in Canada, turning the
      knob to see if the  door is unlocked, opening the door and asking
      if anyone is home, talking to  the people on camera about why they
      don't lock their doors. Turns out people  in Canada just generally
      don't even lock their doors.

      He finds that Canadians are all given free medical care. It
      provoked me to  talk to some Canadians, myself, and see what they
      thought. They basically sa id they'd be afraid to live in the
      United States because they wouldn't be  able to afford medical
      attention.

      Two hundred some odd murders per year in Canada, total, yet eighty
      percent of  all Canadians have guns. Eleven thousand murders per
      year in the United  States. How come? We seem to be pretty
      basically violent people in this  country.

      See this movie and start asking questions. It is beautifully
      provocative in  so many ways. Michael Moore is just a grungy,
      pudgy, sloppy lookin' guy  wandering around with a camera getting
      simple questions answered.

      He takes a couple of wounded Columbine kids to the local K-Mart
      store and  gets the K-Mart to stop selling bullets. Amazing.

      That's my thought for today: See this movie.

      Eman8tions
      Copyright © 2002  by John MacEnulty
      12/02/2002, St. Louis, MO

      Donations are very much appreciated
      and may be sent to
      John MacEnulty
      PO Box 1925
      St. Louis MO 63118
      or go to the website and use PayPal

      Subscription is free.  Email your request to
      Eman8tions@...

      New web site address:
      http://Emanations.net/

      Please feel free to forward Eman8tions
      to anyone you think will enjoy it or benefit from it.
      If you are receiving Eman8tions as a forward
      please feel free to subscribe for yourself.

      MICHAEL READ
      from NDS

      an excerpt:

      Dealing with the dualities is a great part of the struggle of
      practice. What are all those dualities about? Where do they come
      from? What makes us act like the moth flying into the flame,
      constantly recreating our selves, even though we know that it's the
      source of all our pain and suffering?

      THOMAS MURPHY
      from See What Is

      we're together now