Thursday, November 28, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29, 2002

      Fotini Markopoulou Kalamara is hailed as one of the world's
      most promising young physicists. See link at Gene Poole's entry.

      Issue #1271 - Thursday, November 28, 2002 - Edited by Jerry

      from Daily Dharma

      "Hello, dears:

      I have sat at the table and
      blessed the bird,
      Thanked the Unknown for
      fortune great and small.
      I laughed with the children,
      Snoozed off the mashed potatoes,
      And even sat on the balmy beach
      for a couple hours.
      The waves lapped my feet.

      Do you want to know what has been
      since the beginning of time?
      Just THIS! Just THIS!
      None else my soul hath known,
      None else is its rejoicing.

      Hope you all have had fine holiday!

      Eleanor Farjeon

      Morning has broken, like the first morning
      Blackbird has spoken, like the first bird
      Praise for the singing, praise for the morning
      Praise for the springing fresh from the world

      Sweet the rain's new fall, sunlit from heaven
      Like the first dewfall, on the first grass
      Praise for the sweetness of the wet garden
      Sprung in completeness where his feet pass

      Mine is the sunlight, mine is the morning
      Born of the one light, Eden saw play
      Praise with elation, praise every morning
      God's recreation of the new day

      from Live Journal

      Boston Charlie Time

      "Deck us all with Boston Charlie,
      Walla Walla, Wash., an' Kalamazoo!
      Nora's freezin' on the trolley,
      Swaller dollar cauliflower alley-garoo!
      Don't we know archaic barrel
      Lullaby Lilla Boy, Louisville Lou?
      Trolley Molly don't love Harold,
      Boola boola Pensacola hullabaloo!

      Bark us all bow-wows of folly,
      Polly wolly cracker 'n' too-da-loo!
      Donkey Bonny brays a carol,
      Antelope cantaloupe, 'lope with you!
      Hunky Dory's pop is lolly
      Gaggin' on the wagon, willy, folly go through!
      Chollie's collie barks at Barrow,
      Harum scarum five alarm bung-a-loo!
      Dunk us all in bowls of barley,
      Hinky dinky dink an' polly voo!
      Chilly Filly's name is Chollie,
      Chollie Filly's jolly chilly view halloo!
      Bark us all bow-wows of folly,
      Double-bubble, toyland trouble! Woof, woof, woof!
      Tizzy seas on melon collie!
      Dibble-dabble, scribble-scrabble! Goof, goof, goof!

      from NDS

      at the pebble beach
      red from friction with the sea
      strands an asteroid
      shipwrecked with a sense of me
      fearing what's perceived as void

      from Live Journal

      Don't give a damn

      all sense impressions appear in silence
      are born from silence
      are silence manifest from core to surface
      subside back into silence when their task is done
      and leave only silence

      even sleep appears out of the silence, woven from the
      silence and folds back into silence when you wake up

      but I wonder, what do I do with all this freedom ? Some
      things are so malleable. A friend of mine said he'd see
      the world. I said I'd read for 200 years and then let the
      world carry on it's own course and don't bother with the
      rest. I would like to and wouldn't like to shape things
      according to my own mind. I think I would like to but
      when it comes down to it, I can't be bothered trying to
      change or control things. Why should things go in my
      direction ? Why should I steer things according to
      whatever passing whim I have ? There are things other ppl
      can do better than I can, so why not let them do it ?

      Again the vampire allegory is useful. One person said:
      they're 300 years old and don't give a damn. That
      describes my situation pretty closely, give or take a few

      I keep thinking about Douglas Harding's wife who wandered
      the moors in joy after she read his old books and
      encountered the silence. I feel like wandering that moor
      too and just walk wherever the wind takes me.

      Uh well right now I'd like a real mausoleum and stone
      sarcophagus when I die and I'd like to go and play some
      TR2, the dark Opera House level. I like wandering around
      in the dark alone. Want some action. When my life lacks
      action, I habitually turn to that game and that level.

      from NDS

      Here is an article of interest from this month's
      Scientific American online magazine:

      "... The result was networks that do not live in space
      and are not made of matter. Rather their very
      architecture gives rise to space and matter. In this
      picture, there are no things, only geometric
      relationships. Space ceases to be a place where objects
      such as particles bump and jitter and instead becomes a
      kaleidoscope of ever changing patterns and processes."

      I think I'm in love...

      from NDS

      Conan O'Brien
      Talk Show Host

      I'm not one to brag, but I just might be the smartest
      person who ever lived. I was multilingual in the womb,
      and my brain, when submerged in a saline solution,
      displaces over eight liters. By comparison, Einstein's
      brain displaces only six liters and has a weird smell.
      Like Uri Geller, I can bend steel simply with my thoughts
      and, also like Uri Geller, my fame peaked in the late

      Although none of the above is true, it is a fact that my
      strength has always been my mind. It's not that I'm
      inordinately bright, it's just that my complete lack of
      physical skills and my quaint "chimney sweep" fashion
      sense, have, by process of eliminations, made my mental
      ability my main asset. I was always thought of as kind of
      "quick", and this quality saw me through four years at an
      accredited college and a career in comedy second only to
      Gerald Ford's. In short, if the first twenty-two years of
      my life taught me anything, it was that my meal ticket in
      life was going to be my mind.

      Maybe that's why I was taken aback when I was first told
      to "Stop thinking so much."

      These were the words of an improvisation instructor I met
      in 1985. I had just arrived in Los Angeles to take a job
      as a comedy writer and I was interested in doing some
      performing. So, I signed up for a class taught by a wise
      and charismatic woman named Cynthia Szigeti. Her words
      added an entirely new dimension to my life, and, I
      believe, ultimately made a big difference in my career.
      Were it not for her, I would be driving a bus somewhere
      and earning just about what I make today. (I really need
      to speak to my agent.....)

      Honestly though, Cynthia opened a door for me. When i
      entered her class, I was determined to blow everyone away
      with my wit and verbal agility. When asked to get up
      onstage and spontaneously create a scene with another
      actor, I was going to "write" everything in my head and
      thus, reveal my innate genius. I was going to use this
      advantage to spare myself any humiliation.

      But there i was, scheming away, and she barked out, "Stop
      thinking so much," from some where on the sidelines. I
      didnt know what to do. I didnt even know how to get off
      the stage without writing my exit.

      Cynthia could see that writing was a crutch for me. Real
      performing is much more fluid than the measured,
      carefully crafted job of composing. Writers draft
      outlines and plot plots. They write and rewrite. It's
      exactly as you see it in the movies and on television: We
      furrow our brows, crumple up pages, order Chinese food,
      and sexually satisy women in a way that no one else can.
      But this kind of overthinking in your brain is anathema
      to the process of thinking on your feet. Which is what
      performing is all about.

      Eastern philosophy teaches that our strength is our
      weakness and our weakness is our strength. My mental
      abiltiy was stopping me from reacting in the moment.
      Instead of thinking onstage I needed to be onstage. To
      really perform, you have to give yourself over to the
      fact that you dont know what youre creating until you are
      done. If this all sounds too Zen, well--I am at peace
      with that.

      On the show now,I sometimes find myself doing something
      odd when a guest is speaking; I shut up and listen. While
      once my instinct would have been to mentally race ahead
      to find a funny place, I instead listen to a guest and
      find the funny moment there. Or not. Unfortunately, we
      have a lot of archival footage of Conan O'Brien failing
      to say something funny. But my favorite moments on the
      show are when a joke dies an ugly death, because the
      recovery afterward makes the moment memorable. These
      recoveries dont always work, but when they do, the moment
      is so sweet that all mistakes tend to be forgiven.

      "Stop thinking so much" proved to be the mantra of my
      subsequent weird career. People ask me all the time how I
      wound up with my own talk show or how I managed to make
      it last nine years. The truth is I dont know. It's like
      asking someone, "So how did you get hit by a meteor?" My
      Late Night career has largely been the result of reacting
      honestly and spontaneously to people and problems around
      me. I dont know how I got here and I certainly dont know
      where I'm going. This is the essence of my philosophy,
      and coincidentally, the words to most Jimmy Buffet songs.

      Which finally reminds me of one last piece of wisdom I
      heard a running back say about football. He said that,
      despite the best planning and blocking, "The hole is
      never where it's supposed to be." What this man was
      saying is that real life is about reacting quickly to the
      opportunity at hand, not the opportunity you envisioned.
      Not thinking and scheming the future, but letting it
      happen and reacting. In this way life is a lot like
      football, right down to the part where you pat the ass of
      the man next to you.

      "Stop thinking so much." I still think about that
      today--in fact, I think I think about it too much. Which
      means I've learned nothing. Which isnt what I planned. So
      I guess that's okay.

      Conan O'Brien