Friday, November 22, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 23, 2002

      .

      HIGHLIGHTS #1265
      Friday, November 22, 2002
      Edited by Gloria

      MAZIE LANE
      HarshaSatsangh

      I had always heard your entire life flashes  in front of your eyes when you die.
      First off that one second isn't one second at all, it stretches on forever like an
      ocean of time.  For me, it was lying on my back at boy scout camp  watching
      falling stars, and yellow leaves  from the maple trees that lined our street,  or
      my grandmother's hands and the way her skin  seemed like paper, and the first
      time I saw my  cousin Tony's brand new firebird.  And Janie. And Janie. And
      Carolyn.  I guess I could be pretty pissed-off about what  happened to me, but
      it's hard to stay mad when there's so much Beauty in the world.  Sometimes I
      feel like I'm seeing it all at once  and it's too much, and my heart fills up like a
      balloon that's about to burst,  and then I remember to relax and stop trying  to
      hold onto it, and then it flows through me like rain, and I can't feel anthing but
      gratitude  for every single moment of my stupid little life.  You have no idea
      what I'm talking about, but don't worry, you will someday."

      ~Lester Burnam from "American Beauty"

      TIM GERCHMEZ
      NondualGems

      From "Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind"
       -- Shunryu Suzuki-Roshi (Soto Zen  Master)

      Without nothingness, there is no naturalness -- no true being. True being
      comes out of nothingness, moment after moment. Nothingness is  always there,
      and from it everything appears. But usually,  forgetting all about nothingness,
      you behave as if you have something. What you do is based on some
      possessive idea or some concrete idea, and that is not natural.

      For instance, when you listen to a lecture, you should not have any  idea of
      yourself. You should not have your own idea when you listen  to someone.
      Forget what you have in your mind and just listen to what he says. To have
      nothing in your mind is naturalness. Then you will understand what he says.

      But if you have some idea to compare with what he says, you will not  hear
      everything; your understanding will be one-sided; that is not  naturalness.
      When you do something, you should be completely  involved in it. You should
      devote yourself to it completely. Then you have nothing. So if there is no true
      emptiness in your activity,  it is not natural.

      Most people insist on some idea. Recently the younger generation  talks about
      love. Love! Love! Love! Their minds are full of  love! And when they study
      Zen, if what I say does not accord with  the idea they have of love, they will
      not accept it. They are quite stubborn, you know. You may be amazed! Of
      course not all, but some  have a very, very hard attitude. That is not naturalness
      at all.  Even though they talk about love, and freedom or naturalness, they do
      not understand these things. And they cannot understand what Zen is  in that
      way.

      If you want to study Zen, you should forget all your previous ideas  and just
      practice zazen and see what kind of experience you have in  your practice.
      That is naturalness.

      Whatever you do, this attitude is necessary. Sometimes we say nyu nan shin,
      "soft or flexible mind." Nyu is "soft feeling"; nan is "something which is not
      hard"; shin is "mind." Nyu nan shin means  a smooth, natural mind. When you
      have that mind, you have the joy of  life. When you lose it, you lose
      everything. You have nothing.  Although you think you have something, you
      have nothing. But when  all you do comes out of nothingness, then you have
      everything. Do  you understand? This is what we mean by naturalness.

      GREG GOODE
      DirectApproach

      Being good at debate and public speaking unfortunately doesn't prove much. You can
      convince an audience that you are right and the other person is wrong and (i) be
      wrong, and (ii) not be a helpful or skillful or loving teacher, (iii) be an egomaniacal
      asshole. It takes not only keen insight and quick wits to be good at debate, but also a
      strong and focused psychic energy. A "killer instinct" as they say in law and business
      also helps "defeat" opponents. And if the audience is initially on your side (as in
      satsang), it also helps.

      In the case of Jean Klein or other satsang teachers, it's like preaching to the choir. Plus,
      it is said to the attendees "Leave your mind and shoes at the door!" The satsang
      audience is usually made up of devotees, who are usually projecting attributions of
      perfection and ascendency onto the teacher in the first place. So the teacher can say
      about anything, and they'll swoon with moon eyes, "Yes, those words are coming
      straight from Consciousness!" Jean Klein was one of the best teachers, but it wasn't
      from his verbal messages. He wasn't half the rhetorician or dialectician his teacher
      Atmananda was, yet he was a kind, loving, open and gentle man, and taught in this
      way much more effectively. I never met Jean (have you?) but have read all his books
      (Atmananda's too) and talked to many of his former students. It's funny, some of them
      can hardly remember any dialogues or verbal interchanges at all. What they are left
      with is a kind, open, accepting presence.... Several of them have told me that this
      openness is what they consider to be his great gift...

      Shankara and the Dalai Lama trained long and hard in ahimsa and lovingkindness.
      They cultivated ethical, religious and spiritual and character virtues. All the debating
      skill in the world, without these qualities, makes one at best a shrewd barrister or a
      brainy drill sergeant, not a great spiritual leader.

      (Coming to you from both the U.S. Army Officer Corps and the world of professional
      academic philosophy, so I saw these excesses up close and personal!)

      Love,
      --Greg

      XAN
      MillionPaths

      The moment of awakening may be marked
         by an outburst of laughter,
      but this is not the laughter of someone
         who has won the lottery or some kind of victory.
      It is the laughter of one who,
         after searching for something for a long time,
      suddenly finds it in the pocket of his coat.

      -Thich Nhat Hanh
      Zen Keys

      NAMONAIJIN
      TheUnbornMind

      Small children,
      Watching the big kids play yearn to be like their older peers.
      So they imitate and copy
      Until one day they are out playing with the big kids.
      I believe that spiritually the same principle remains:
      Once Greatness is witnessed,
      Those all who see it will want to achieve it-- eventually.
      This is my Big Kid Theory...

      DIANA
      NDS

      HARSHA
      HarshaSatsangh

      We know the world through the mind. Sri Ramana used to
      say that mind is a wonderful power that arises from
      the Self and makes all this visible.

      The conscious mind is one manifestation of Kundalini
      Shakti. Ultimately, Mind, Kundalini, Shakti, Maya, all
      these mean the same thing.

      Jnana makes us aware that the rising of (Mind, Maya,
      Shakti)has a Source which is complete in It Self, the
      pure Sat-Chit-Ananda.

      It is because of the presence of Sat-Chit-Ananda at
      the core of our being, the whole world is starving for
      love, love or Ananda (joy or bliss) being the root
      nature. In one way or another, we seek this Ananda,
      either through material means or spiritual means which
      are also in a way not different than material means.

      I remember being at retreat about 23 years ago and
      talking to this woman in her 60s. She was divorced and
      actively looking for a man.

      I advised her to forget about finding love and all
      that nonsense and focus on meditation and
      Self-Realization and be free. I remember the pained
      look on her face and she said, "But I really need to
      have a man in my life."

      I was such a fool then.

      Love to all
      Harsha

      One can see the masks of others only through one's own
      mask. That is the sheer beauty of it.

      When one transcends one's own mask, others masks
      disappear as well.

      In the embrace of God, the true beloved, only God
      remains as Love ItSelf.

      Love to all
      Harsha

      JOSEPH RILEY
      Panhala

      God acts within every moment
      and creates the world with each breath.
      He speaks from the center of the universe,
      in the silence beyond all thought.
      Mightier than the crash of a thunderstorm,
      mightier than the roar of the sea,
      is GodÂ’s voice silently speaking
      in the depths of the listening heart.

      Psalm 93