Wednesday, November 20, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 21, 2002

      Saint Makarios of the Desert

      Issue #1263 - Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - Edited by Jerry
      Home Page: http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      DAVID HODGES

      DHARMA PUNK

      There's an interesting article in yesterday's Salon about
      Noah Levine,  Stephen Levine's son. (Stephen Levine is
      the author of "Who Dies" and other  classic spiritual
      books).

      Noah Levine took a road through drugs and punk to finally
      end up seeing the  wisdom of his father and becoming a
      self-described Dharma Punk in San  Francisco.

      "With his shaved head, gold teeth and neck-to-navel
      tattoos [Levine] could  be standard issue street punk --
      until you notice that among the images  adorning his arms
      are those of Buddha and Krishna, and instead of "hate"
      and "love" tattooed across the knuckles of his hands,
      he's got "wisdom" and  "compassion." "

      The article is here:
      http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2002/11/19/noah_levine/index.html

      VIORICA WEISSMAN

      You may know all the right words, quote the scriptures,
      be brilliant in your discussions and yet remain a bag of
      bones. Or you may be inconspicuous and humble, an
      insignificant person altogether, yet glowing with loving
      kindness and deep wisdom.

      FIRECEREMONY
      from Live Journal

      Had a view to a white winter sky, some naked branches and
      the back wall of a red brick church. The view was lovely
      in its simplicity.

      On the bus home yellow street lights flooded the black
      asphalt like spot lights light a stage. The doors opened
      and one passenger exited the bus.

      On the way to the front door I checked the mail box and
      enjoyed the darkness and cold of the winter night. I'm
      beginning to like winter more and more.

      JAN SULTAN

      <http://oshoworld.com/e-books/ebooks.asp>

      [Free 240 Osho Books Online][Plenty to chew on!][Also
      sometimes a lot of  haystack to find the gems in :-)]

      The moon is one but it can be reflected in millions of
      lakes. Reflections differ, but the reflected is one.

      Mind is a mirror. When religion is reflected through the
      mind a Hinduism is born, or a Mohammedanism or a Judaism.

      When the religion is not a reflected one, when one comes
      face to face with reality without any mind whatsoever,
      when there is no mind between you and the truth, then
      there is born THE religion.

      Hassidism is THE religion. Sufism is THE religion. Zen is
      THE religion. They differ only in names; otherwise they
      are all the same. Their language is different but not
      their content. They all have looked at the moon, but they
      call it different names. Obviously, that is natural. But
      they have not been looking at the reflections. They don't
      believe in creeds, ideologies, scriptures, dogmas,
      doctrines. They know the truth, and when you know the
      truth there is no need of scriptures.

      You carry the scripture on your head when the truth is
      not known. Theories are substitutes, dead. Truth is
      always alive, eternally alive. It cannot be confined in
      words; the message is wordless. And you cannot come to it
      by somebody else because whenever there is a medium, it
      becomes a reflection. When your own mind creates a
      reflection, what about other minds through which you come
      to know it?

      One has to come in immediate contact, direct, heart to
      heart. Nothing should be allowed between the two: your
      heart and the heart of reality. They should respond in a
      deep resonance. They should meet and mingle and merge and
      there should not even be a curtain of words, knowledge,
      concepts. Only then, you know what religion is.

      Hassidism is religion, Judaism is just a reflection. Or
      you can say the same thing in other words: Judaism is
      just the periphery and Hassidism is the core -- the very
      core, the living soul, the very center. Buddhism is the
      periphery,  Zen is the core. Islam is the  periphery,
      Sufism is the core.

      And the core is one; peripheries are millions. On one
      center you can draw many concentric circles. You can go
      on drawing them; the center remains one.

      Greetings!

      If anybody else want's some fresh California Eucalyptus,
      I'd be more than  happy to send it out to you for the
      cost of shipping!

      (From one of the incense lists. Contact highlights editor
      for further info.)

      SERAPHIM
      from Live Journal

      Two Stories for the time before Christmas. Fire and the
      Ordinary Face.

      Here are two stories I find which seem to me to belong
      in the time before Christmas.... and the first indeed
      fits Channukah in its way as well maybe...but stories
      for this time and maybe you will find something which
      fits for you...

      The first is of the first of monks who went into the
      inner desert of Egypt... Abba Lot said to Abba Joseph
      'Father I keep the little rule I have as well as I can
      and observe fasting and silence and pray and meditate
      and struggle to order my thoughts...but I wonder.. why do
       I feel something is wrong...something is missing in my
      heart still...what more can I do?"

      The elder rose and lifted his hands to heaven and his
      fingers looked like blazing candles against the evening
      sky of the desert and he said

      "why not become wholly Fire?"  .

      Second: the ninetheenth century Russian novelist Ivan
      Turgenev dreamed of being in a peasent church in a
      village and thinking that man over there is Christ, but
      when the man in the dream turned his face it was 'a face
      like everyone else's. such an ordinary ordinary face
      suddenly I am afraid , I feel vertigo almost as I realize
       and come to my senses --a face like all mens faces--THAT
       is the face of Christ!"