Saturday, November 16, 2002

  • John Metzger
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 17, 2002

                                 Nobody taking a bath in the famous Bavarian beer lake.

      NDhighlights #1259
      Saturday, November 16, 2002
      Edited by John

      Saktidassa and Jan B.   NDS

      S: It is all about purification and the gunas or modes. Foul language is
      the mind's way of speaking in a tamasic or rajasic mode. It is
      actually verbal violence. I must admit an occasional word or two
      slips out of my mouth, especially if I hurt myself etc.

      J: Wouldn't the absence of an interpreting mode that sees one thing
      as 'pure' and another as 'foul' qualify as 'equanimity'?

      S: One will normally find people who have a predeliction to foul
      language are absorbed in tamas and rajas. The vibrations are anti
      moksha and come from eating meat and absorbing negatives from other
      polluted sources.

      J: And whence came the notions to start defining one thing as 'pure' and another
      as 'foul'?
      Acceptance of it in childhood maybe?

      S: This is why sadhana is so important, never mind how non dual the mind
      thinks it is.

      J: Life itself is the only sadhana with plenty of reality tests.
      Difficult to see when the accepted childhood conditioning
      has exceeded a critical mass as then, the desire for separation
      from "ordinary life" is overwhelming.

      Gene Poole   NDS

      Al Larus   NDS

      diana   being one

      For those of you who've become enamored of
      Anthony de Mello.....the directions for subscription
      should be addressed to:  Scott Reeves ScottR@...
      From: Scott Reeves <ScottR@...>
      Subject: NOVEMBER AWARENESS LIST

      Dear Wisdom List Subscriber:

               Every other month we return to our roots and start a new Awareness List which is Anthony de Mello at his best. We originally founded the Spiritus Ministry to convey the wisdom of Anthony de Mello's Awareness to a small number of recovering alcoholics here in Little Rock, Arkansas.  By the time we had transmitted the last chapter, the list had grown to over 70 people just by word of mouth. So . . . to keep things going we started to scan in the little dialogues between the Master and his disciples from One Minute Wisdom . . . and the list has continued to grow through word-of-mouth to where today there are over 5,900 of you being charmed by the Master.

               The Awareness list that we started in July ends next Wednesday, and the September start is currently reading Chapter 26 of the 56 Chapters.  The new Awareness List will start on Sunday, November 17 , and if you have not read this seminal, life changing book, we urge you to join us in this spiritual adventure.

        If you would like to join us [send to above address with "November Awareness List" in subject line.  It will takes us a number of days to cut and paste all the addresses to the new list, but we expect to send Chapter One on Sunday evening November 17. Thereafter, we will send another chapter every other day or so until all fifty six chapters have been sent.

      New edition

      Nisargadatta : I Am That

       I was undeceived, that is all. I used to create a world and populate it.
      Now I don't do it any more. [Now I live] in the void beyond being and
      non-being, beyond consciousness. This void is also fullness; do not pity
      me. The mind ceased producing events. The ancient and ceaseless search stopped - I wanted nothing, expected nothing, accepted nothing as my own. There was no "me" left to strive for. Even the bare "I am" faded away.
      The other thing that I noticed was that I lost all my habitual certainties.
       Earlier I was sure of so many things, now I am sure of nothing. But I feel
       that I have lost nothing by not knowing, because all my knowledge was
       false. My not knowing was in itself knowledge of the fact that all
       knowledge is ignorance, that "I do not know" is the only true statement
       the mind can make.

      Brother Void   salon.com

      "Nothing has a stronger influence ... on ... children, than the unlived life of the parent."
      -- Carl Jung

      Some of us have children too early in life. Invariably, we lay our thwarted dreams and toxic disappointments upon their heads, hoping they will live the life we neglected to live. The rest of us figure, why not have our life first and then have the kids? We soon find, however, that this is not so easy. As the world grows more complex and the possibilities for experiencing things multiply, it becomes ever more difficult to work in enough living before the close of your baby-making years. Eventually, you realize that the only way to beat the clock is to live your life as furiously as possible -- which means starting earlier, moving faster and holding out longer. You've got to crank through travel fantasies, fringe lifestyles, multiple careers, extreme sports and designer drugs, and gorge yourself on liquor and sex as fast and as hard as you can. How else can you expect to get over yourself enough to really be there for your kids when it counts? So the next time you find yourself power partying, remember to ratchet it up another notch, because only when you live your unlived life will your children be free to live theirs.

      I binge for my kids.

      A Net of Jewels
      Ramesh S. Balsekar
      http://www.advaita.org

      November 16

      That mind which ceases to grasp at itself achieves its original pristine
      purity and becomes unborn and whole again.

      The man who has freed himself through understanding accepts whatever comes his way without any judgment and remains within the underlying unity that encompasses man and nature in the totality that is the universe.  He wanders through the enjoyment of all experience without becoming attached in any way, either positively to delights or negatively against sorrows, and thus remains free in all circumstances.