Monday, November 10, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 12, 2002

      Artist: Anthony Padgett, London

      Sprach Zarathustra

      First Prize Showcase Winner
      50 x 50 x 50cms

      Stereolithography sculpture

      Not for sale £50,000 sponsorship from Land Rover

      “The quality of the final model is a testament to the capability
      of CopyCAD as a tool for creating STL files from laser scan data.”
      --Graham Tromans, Manager Rapid Product Development Land Rover.

      Stereolithography: The solid object is made by scanning an
      ultraviolet (UV) laser beam over the surface of a bath of
      epoxy resin. The resin hardens on exposure to the UV
      light. Once a layer is complete, the base plate moves
      down a little in the bath, and a new layer of liquid
      flows in over the top. Then the layer is drawn by the
      laser beam. Any loose or overhanging elements of the
      object are secured by supporting structure to prevent
      them drifting away. The supports are made by the same
      process and at the same time as the main object; the
      necessary computer code is generated automatically when
      the slice files are produced. At the end of the build,
      the base plate is raised in the bath to lift the object
      clear, and it is drained, washed, and the support
      structures broken away. The hardened resin is
      translucent, so interior structure is easy to see in
      stereolithography models.

      Issue #1255 - Monday, November 10, 2002 - Edited by Jerry

      VICKI WOODYARD
      from NDS

      Plugging into Life

      We put off plugging into the Source. We have many
      exemplars to whom  we look and point excitedly. "Look,
      there's Ramana Maharshi, there's  Nisargadatta, Papaji,
      etc." We are smug about knowing that we know  who is
      plugged in and who isn't. Meanwhile the Great Ones have
      just  gone on being eternally plugged in. What keeps us
      from knowing  ourselves as the one Self?

      Recently I wrote to someone about how it is when you are
      putting up  Christmas lights and have to work practically
      all day to untangle the  wires, replace missing bulbs,
      etc. If we don't go through the  necessary procedures,
      the tree will not look beautiful.

      Just so. We have to go through the necessary procedures
      of plugging  into the power source of Self. Sometimes we
      actually have to check  each thought to see if it's
      working or not. Tedious, yes.  Humility  and persistence
      really do count. Imperceptible changes add up.

      Most of us are far too casual about our inner work. We
      put off the  chores of checking each thought as it
      arises, of seeing every emotion  emerge and then slowly
      (and imperceptibly) ebb. The Great Ones know  that this
      is a planetary kindergarten and so they let us make daisy
       chains and hand turkeys to show that we are individuals.
      They also  give us bigger projects, such as coming to
      terms with suffering,  raising children, coping with
      crises and sitting alone in empty rooms.

      Ramana Maharshi used to sit and repair old books even
      though he knew  the Self. Then why is it that I don't
      want to be bothered with the  routine of my life? If I
      actually plug in to what I am doing on any  given day,
      the Light of all Life rushes into whatever it is. The
      biggies have all told us and it's time we got down to
      business....and  followed in their footsteps...whether
      barefoot, driving a semi or  doing bikram yoga. The
      method is not important--just that we get  plugged in.

      Vicki Woodyard
      http://www.bobwoodyard.com

      JOHN METZGER
      from NDS

      Brother Void

      "Only the hand that erases can write the true thing." --
      Meister Eckhart

      Sometimes you feel caught in a web of language, your
      identity defined by words you never chose and cannot seem
      to shake. Whatever the words -- hysteric, geek, slut,
      atheist, Gen Xer, Hispanic or just temporary departmental
      associate project assistant -- they work their way
      insidiously into the story you tell about yourself. To
      break free and rewrite your own story, you must first get
      in touch with the nausea at the heart of language. You
      can do this in the quiet of your own home, by following a
      few simple steps.

      Select the word that most binds your identity. With pen
      and paper, write it out in big block letters. Now, focus
      your eyes on the word you have written down and gently
      consider its claims upon you. At first, you may not
      notice any change. Remain focused. In time, the letters
      before you begin to swim. The word relinquishes all
      authority. It seems alien, its spelling almost random.
      With sickening speed, a chain reaction spreads through
      the whole language until its arbitrary structure
      stretches out before you, raw and meaningless. At this
      point, your own personal narrative, the text that is you,
      may begin to hemorrhage in big, wet chunks. The nausea of
      language is upon you.

      I am the text that I erase.

      Warning : I tried this with 'donut addict' but ended up
      eating the paper. John

      MARALENA
      from NDS

      Re: Anthony de Mello

      Dear Jan,

      http://www.spiritwalk.org/demello.htm

      Thank you again for your suggestion to view some of his
      writings. He  very much seems to be along the same lines
      as the other Monk I was  asking about. The above link
      took me to some of his works, and a  brief autobiography.
      I was saddened to see that his own Church Body,  after
      his death, dishonored his writings... even to the point
      of  wanting a warning put on the books that "Reading them
      could be  extreemly harmful to your faith". Amazing. That
      is hard to see  those who are in a place of spiritual
      leadership... to put forth such  an unloving example. If
      one believes or not...according to their  faith... I
      wonder if they recogonize how they are making their faith
       look in the eyes of those who are on the fence. Not a
      very good  light, I think. Not one of love. Anyway, thank
      you again.

      Love,

      Maralena

      GLORIA LEE

      Dear Maralena,

      Another Christian priest who was drawn to Eastern
      approaches was Thomas Merton, have you read any of his
      writings? His books are wonderful. There is really no
      conflict of religions when you get past concepts and into
      essence.

      This DeMello one turned up in the highlights archives:

      Mary quotes from ANTHONY DEMELLO'S

      "One Minute Wisdom"

      To a disciple who begged for wisdom
      the Master said, "Try this out: Close
      your eyes and see yourself and every
      living being thrown off the top of a precipice.
      Each time you cling to
      something to stop yourself from falling,
      understand that it is falling too......"

      The disciple tried it out and never
      was the same again.

      JAMES TRAVERSE

      (referring to the file at
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NondualitySalon/files/Abhishiktananda.doc>)

      Hello Maralena,

          Thank You.

          Like the author of the file you uploaded I have studied
      'Kashmir  Shaivism', the non-dual tradition, with Jean
      Klein (it was not called  by that name yet that is the
      one that best fits). I am also involved  with Yoga
      (http://www.beingyoga.com).

      Abhishiktananda's journey is the human journey of
      resolving/SEEING  the paradox of Life.

         To ask the question 'Who am I?' is dualistic (there is a
      questioner asking the question).

      To have absolute faith in Jesus is dualistic (there is
      one who has  faith).

      Yet both can be liberating.

      Enlightenment is SEEING the nature of Life/Truth. This is
      how  Abhishiktananda resolved the paradox - he understood
      that the paradox  of Life is that it is Singular and that
      it has dualistic qualities.

        The necessary step for Abhishiktananda's journey was to
      have this  dilemma as the greatest 'lesson' in his
      journey/quest.

      He realized the SingulaRity of Truth in that Truth is
      always  "_____ing" - it is Living, Flowing, Being - it is
      not the static  concepts written about in any of the
      wisdom traditions and yet each  wisdom tradition honours
      Truth. Truth is not a concept and yet we give  it a
      'name' to functionally be able to speak about It.

      The nature of Life is that it is simultaneously the
      journey AND  the destination (as Now is always 'now' and
      it is always changing or -  the 'quest' is 'the question
      is the answer').

      ~~~

      I find it interesting to note that according to the
      Cologne  Digital Sanskrit Lexicon, the Sanskrit word
      'Atman' means: to breathe  ; %{at} , to move ; %{vA} , to
      blow ;

        AND

         Brahman means:  n. (lit. `" growth "' , `" expansion "' , `"
      evolution "' , `" development "' `" swelling of the spirit or soul "'
      ........the Brahma8 or one selfexistent impersonal Spirit , the one
      universal Soul (or one divine essence and source from which all
      created things emanate or with which they are identified and to which
      they return) , the Self-existent , the Absolute , the Eternal ....

         And any English dictionary will tell us that - Spirit means:
      essence, to Breathe .... [Middle English, from Old French espirit,
      from Latin spiritus, breath, from spirare, to breathe.].

      ~~~

          I feel that the significance of the Breath cannot be overstated.
          It has the dualistic qualities of 'inspiration' and 'expiration'
      ('movement' and the 'stillness' of the natural pauses between
      inhalation-exhalation and exhalation-inhalation) AND the flow is
      'respiration' or "re-spiriting" .

      note:
      -  Hindu origin myth known as the "Breath of Brahman" (at the moment
      of origin all of the Universe, all matter and energy, existed together
      in total order and symmetry, called by scientists the "Great
      Singularity". Then the Universe exploded in the Big Bang, or
      exhalation of the 'Breath of Brahman').

      The Breath is Singular and its SPIRALS have the dualistic
       qualities of Movement and Stillness which each have
      their respective  dualistic qualities, AND, each of these
      qualities, Movement and  Stillness, have dualistic
      qualities...and so on...infinitely nested.

            Life is Breath.
            Breath is Life.

            Life is Love.
            Love is Life.

      ~~~

      I feel that the paradox is resolved in the understanding
      of  Marriage (or Yoga which means Union).

      A married 'couple' appears as two and yet the 'couple'
      can only be  when the two are TOGETHER - One.

      The 'two' are together in LOVE and it is only in Union
      that the  couple can produce something which is beyond
      themselves - that  'something' is the Child - You!

      ~~~

      In this same Spirit, Love is how Abhishiktananda resolved
      the  paradox.

      Love and Gratitude,
      James

      ANTHONY PADGETT
      received via email

      4 EVENTS JOINING ART, RELIGION AND POPULAR CULTURE.

                             1) Wednesday 13th November 2002, 7pm to 12pm

                                       "CLUB – RELIGION"

                    Inter-Religious Fancy Dress & Fashion Launch Party

                                            The Arts Café,

                                    28 Commercial Street, London, E1

      When politics and diplomacy fail then only art and
      fashion can unite the nations.

      By joining together items of clothing from different
      world religions artist Anthony Padgett hopes that fashion
      can contribute to world peace. He mixes New York Disco
      with calls to prayer from Mecca, Jerusalem, India and
      Tibet in "Disco Art Religion". There will be Communion
      Cake icing, Iconoclastic body painting and a fashion "Dog
      Sit".

      Anthony says "religion and disco are all about bringing
      people together in a celebration of life. The sacred and
      the secular shouldn’t be kept separate as they are both
      important. People are now more aware of other religions
      than ever but the great challenge is to learn how to
      relate to them. "Club - Religion" lets people explore
      religion through fashion, art and music."

                        IMAGES OF FANCY DRESS, CLUB RELIGION & RITUALS

                                          www.theism.co.uk

                                          MUSIC DOWNLOADS

                                www.geocities.com/anthonydpadgett/index.html

                              2) Sunday 17th November 2002, 11am and 1pm

                             "DISCO ART RELIGION SERVICE"

                                 Golders Green Unitarian Church

                                   31 ½ Hoop Lane London, NW11 8BS

                                 Tate Modern or Tate Unitarian?

                  As part of the 11am Golders Green Unitarian service Anthony will make a 15 minute address.

      Sir Henry Tate was a lifelong Unitarian (his father was a
      Unitarian Minister and he paid for many Unitarian
      churches) but what now for Unitarian art? Unitarianism
      has always been ahead of its time. It embraces multiple
      view-points in a non-dogmatic and free thinking
      perspective that is both religious and atheistic. The
      historical and current influence of Unitarianism on
      American and British government, education and art will
      be traced. Contemporary art and the inclusion of everyday
      life into art will be discussed along with examples of
      Anthony’s "Game of World Religious Art", and
      "Inter-Religious Electric Candelabra". Linking Global
      communities will also be discussed with reference to

                            Tim Berners-Lee, developer of the world wide web and a Unitarian.

                                                   Plus

                                       Disco Art Religion Service

                  1pm service will use art to break down dogmatism and find common ground. Including:

                                       Meditation with "GOD?" in neon.

                                      The lighting of the electric candelabra.

                                          Inter-religious fashion show.

                             Abstract expressionist Holy Communion re-birthday cake.

                             Tomb of Everyone and the resurrection of the Art Prophet.

                                             3) 9th December

                                     Talk On Art and Religion

                                 New York Studio School of Art,

                                  8 West 8th Street, New York, NY 10011

                                             4) Opportunities

       IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN EXHIBITING, PERFORMING OR HELPING AT FUTURE CLUB RELIGION
        EVENT AT UNITY CHAPEL (UPPER STREET, ISLINGTON, LONDON, N1) IN SPRING 2003 CONTACT:

                             Anthony Padgett, 14 Bromfield Street, LONDON, N1 OQA.

                                             Mob: 07812 799521

                                      e-mail: anthonydpadgett@...

                                           website: www.theism.co.uk

      (See Padgett's work at top of page.)