Sunday, November 10, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 12, 2002

      * WHO AM I ?

      HIGHLIGHT #1253
      Sunday, November 10, 2002
      Edited by Gloria

      VIORICA WEISSMAN
      Million Paths

      * Who Am I translations courtesy of Professor Gregory

      To see reality is as simple as to see one's face in a mirror. Only the
      mirror must be clear and true. A quiet mind, undistorted by desires
      and fears, free from ideas and opinions, clear on all the levels, is
      needed to reflect the reality. Be clear and quiet, alert and detached,
      all else will happen by itself.
      ~~ Nisargadatta

       Q : How am I to reach perfection ?

      Nisargadatta :
            Keep quiet. Do your work in the world, but inwardly
             keep quiet. Then all will come to you. Do not rely on
             your work for realization. It may profit others , but
             not you. Your hope lies in keeping silent in your mind
             and quiet in your heart. Realized people are very quiet.

       from I AM THAT

      MANUEL HERNANDEZ
      A Net of Jewels

      Gems from Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj's Conversations

      "Spiritual maturity lies in the readiness to let go of everything. The
      giving  up is the first step. But the real giving up is in realizing that
      there is nothing to give up, for nothing is your own. It is like deep
      sleep--you do  not give up your bed when you fall asleep, you just
      forget about it."

      MARALENA
      NDS

      a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the NondualitySalon
      group.

        File        : /Abhishiktananda.doc
        Uploaded by : maralena <teawhiskers@...>
        Description : Abhishiktananda re: Nonduality and Christianity

      You can access this file at the URL

      I have just downloaded to the Nonduality Salon "FILES" a word
      document named: Abhisshiktananda:  Nonduality and Christianity.

      I am wondering if any of you are familiar with Swami Abhishiktananda
      (Henri Le Saux) (he was a Benedictine Monk who at one point came in
      contact with Ramana and the teachings of Advaita) ?  Any who would or
      could take the time to read it… I would be very appreciative, and
      would welcome your thoughts and/or comment of the possibility of
      such. The following caption was a small bit taken from the file.

      Abhishiktananda and the Challenge of Hindu-Christian Experience

      "What gnaws away at my body as well as my mind is this: after having
      found in advaita a peace and a bliss never experienced before, to
      live with the dread that perhaps, that most probably, all that my
      latent Christianity suggests to me is nonetheless true, and that
      therefore advaita must be sacrificed to it... In committing myself
      totally to advaita, if Christianity is true, I risk committing myself
      to a false path for eternity. All my customary explanations of hell
      and the rest are powerless against a reality that exists in a way
      unknown to me.... Supposing in advaita I was only finding myself and
      not God? And yet, it is only since I made the personal discovery of
      advaita at Arunachala that I have recovered peace and a zest for
      life."
      ~ Swami Abhishiktananda

      GILL EARDLEY
      Allspirit

      From: "Open Mouth Already a Mistake"
      by Richard Shrobe, ( Zen Master Wu Kwang )

      Don't Know is Closest to It

      For those of you that are new to our style of practice and
      Zen practice in general, I will now introduce you to the practice
      of "not knowing". Usually, people want to learn something, to
      know something. Zen practice actually moves in the opposite
      direction; from knowing to not knowing.

      This not knowing is represented in the classical Zen literature
      by a famous story about Zen Master Poep An. Poep An was one
      of the main figures of Chinese Zen during the T'ang Dynasty,
      which was the Golden Age  of Zen in China. He lived around 900
      AD. At the time this story takes place, Peop An was not yet a master.
      Making a Zen pilgrimage didn't mean the same thing as traveling
      means to us today because, of course, there were no airplanes,
      trains, or buses, just ox carts or foot travel, for the most part, and
      most of the main centers were in the mountains. So, the journey
      to call on the various Zen Masters was a rather arduous one.
      in and of itself, the hardship of travelling hundreds of miles over
      every kind of terrain, not knowing where you would sleep that night,
      or where you would find food, was a practice in facing oneself. This
      was a practice, as the old Zen Masters say, in "putting it all down."

      Poep An came to a particular monastery and greeted Master Ji
      Jang, who was to become his final teacher. Ji Jang asked Peop An,
      "You're travelling all around China; what's the meaning of your
      pilgrimage?" Initially, Peop An felt stuck and momentarily all thinking
      stopped. Then he said, "don't know". Ji Jang responded, "Not
      knowing is most intimate". Sometimes you'll see this translated as:
      "Not knowing is closest to it." So, Poep An decided, I'd better stay
      here and see what this guy has to offer.

      After spending some time at the monastery being introduced into
      this "don't know", Poep An decided he would continue on his
      pilgrimage. He told the Master, "Tomorrow I'll be leaving here to
      become a wandering monk again". Ji Jang said, "Oh, do you think
      you're ready?". Poep An said, "Certainly!" "Then let me ask you a
      question," said Ji Jang. "You are fond of the saying that 'that the
      whole world is created by the mind alone'. So, you see those big
      boulders over there in the rock garden? Are they inside your mind
      or outside?" Poep An said, "They're inside my mind. How could
      anything be outside it?" The Zen Master said, "Oh, well, then you'd
      better get a good night's sleep because it's going to be hard
      travelling with all those rocks inside your mind"! Peop An was
      undone and taken aback, and stayed there with this Master and
      finally attained great awakening.

      This one sentence, "don't know" or "Not knowing is most intimate",
      is very much at the heart of our practice. The word intimacy is also
      quite interesting. Closeness. Becoming one with something. Really
      being able to fathom something. And, of course, many of our
      difficulties come about by holding on to some conception of
      knowing, or some opinion, or some dualistic attitude that separates
      us from our experience. So, as we cultivate and enter into this
      attitude of not knowing, true intimacy becomes a possiblity, true
      at-oneness with our own experience and with the world that we find
      ourselves in.

      http://www.cizny.org/bookexcerpts.html

      XAN
      Million Paths

      The goal of fasting is inner unity.

      This means hearing, but not with the ear;
       hearing, but not with the understanding;
      hearing with the spirit, with your whole being...

      The hearing of the spirit is not limited to any one faculty,
       to the ear, or to the mind.
      Hence it demands the emptiness of all the faculties.
      And when the faculties are empty, then the whole being listens.
      There is then a direct grasp of what is right there before you
       that can never be heard with the ear or understood with the mind.

      Fasting of the heart empties the faculties,
       frees you from limitation and from preoccupation.
      Fasting of the heart begets unity and freedom.

      Confucius
      ~~~~~~

      IMO it is necessary to practise denial of the reality of Saguna,
      otherwise one is part of the dream lost in the dream.......ONS..Tony.

      ~ All that is necessary is to recognize that it is a dream, and to see through
      and beyond that to the neutral pure awareness in which it all takes place.
      Being for or against any aspect of it is what the ego-mind does. ~ Xan

      GABRIELE EBERT
      Sri Ramana

      If a man is free from all pairs of opposites
      and always lives in solitude [established in himself alone],
      he gains perfect wisdom even while in the present body
      and shines forth with great effulgence.

      ~~~~~~~~~
      Devikalottera, V. 79
      ~~~~~

      VIORICA WEISSMAN
      Million Paths

      "I write for those who have felt the truth in intuitive flashes as well as for
      those who must be argued into it by intellectual reasonings."

      Paul Brunton, Reflections on My Life and Writings, p. 125.

      A BOW TO PAUL BRUNTON

      I will always be grateful to Paul Brunton, for it was his first book that was
      also my first encounter with the spirituality of the East. I vividly
      remember how, more than a quarter of a century ago,  his Search in Secret
      India
      held me spellbound for weeks and months. I read it over and over
      again. The world it portrayed of holy men and sages seemed strangely
      familiar to me. His book laid the foundation for my subsequent lifelong
      professional and personal interest in India's spiritual traditions.

      Georg Feuerstein

      STEFAN
      The_Other_Syntax

      There is a jewel of perfect ecstasy of being who you are. You are at
      the level of consciousness that has the greatest pleasure and ecstasy
      you are capable of accepting. Regardless of what I tell myself, or
      what I have at times experienced, my greatest pleasure right now is
      to be penniless in a room in San Francisco writing this book.

      --Thaddeus Golas