Saturday, November 9, 2002

  • Christiana Duranczyk
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 10, 2002

      Nondual Highlights#1252
      Saturday, November 9, 2002
      Edited by Christiana

      David Cheepen "Under the Rainbow"

      Wishing the world the courage to live in peace - michael read

      The realization of the Nondual traditions is
      uncompromising: There is only Spirit, there is only
      God, there is only Emptiness in all its radiant wonder.
      All the good and all the evil, the very best and the very
      worst, the upright and the degenerate -- each and all
      are radically perfect manifestations of Spirit precisely
      as they are. There is nothing but God, nothing but the
      Goddess, nothing but Spirit in all directions, and not a
      grain of sand, not a speck of dust, is more or less
      Spirit than any other.

      ~Ken Wilber

      Direct approach and subtle bodies

      This notion of subtle bodies is actually a standard
      teaching in Buddhism and Hinduism and plenty of
      Western esoteric teachings. It's central to the
      progressive path, where the student learns to
      dis-identify with one level at a time.

      And of course if the notion of identification makes any
      sense, then of course there can be identification at
      very subtle levels. Formal Advaita Vedanta (not
      satsang neo-advaita) makes provision for these
      levels, and gives ways to dis-identify at each level.

      But in the direct approach, *does* identification make
      sense when you look into it? In fact the relevant
      question becomes:

          Whose subtle body is it?
          Whose identification is it?
          If you strip away all the stuff taken as "mine,"
           including the subtle bodies and the identification,
           then what is left that *has* these things?

      If you truly strip away all this stuff from the one who
      *has* it, then that "one" has also been stripped away.
      So levels become a non- issue.

      Try it and see. This is the direct approach!

      Bobby Graham and Dan Berkow (snips from an interesting dialogue)

      Bob: This flash to me is the space between thoughts. A
      chain of thoughts will continue until for some reason I
      become aware of myself in the moment. As long as
      that lasts another chain does not begin. I call this the
      cessation of thoughts.

      Dan: Yes, there is a space between thoughts that has
      no quality of thought, nor time, nor movement.

      Thought arising doesn't really impede or obscure that
      space.

      It is only the attempt to have an identity within the
      passing thought-formation, that gives the impression
      of time, a being, an obscuration.

      It (space) neither arises nor departs, and has no
      dimensionality, no way to be measured.

      Choice can only be an image within an arising
      thought -- in the space between thought there is no
      choice to be made, or not to be made.

      And thought is not in the space between thoughts.

      And that space is all that is.

      There is no place that thought can occur, because the
      imagined place where thought occurs, is itself a
      thought construct (or "ignorance" as you called it
      earlier in this discussion).

      Bob: It is this taking things as separate that is a
      function of the mind. Just saying the words "things are
      not separate" does not stop the tendency to create
      dualism.

      Dan: I totally agree.

      Those words are a thought, and if there is an attempt
      to have an identification with or through that thought,
      that attempt is itself imagined separation.

      Bob: What gives me the greatest feeling of love in the
      conceptual world is the notion that there is way out of
      ignorance built within the structure itself.

      Dan: The way out is by not having a strategy for a way
      out (such strategy being ignorance).

      The structure dissolves, and that is the way out, by not
      having a way out (for "you" "I" am that dissolving
      structure) ...

      Bob: Involution is the process of going back through
      the sense of "I" to its source. To stop that process
      because of a conceptual logjamb is not necessary.

      Dan: It's not a process, for a process takes time.

      And time is of thought.

      And peace transcendent of I, you, and it, is
      momentary, is present, is timeless, now.

      Not of thought.

      That space between thoughts isn't a stance.

      It is simply "what is" unimpeded by a formulation of
      what it is, not involved in maintaining a relation to
      itself through perception and quality, through
      experiences of itself in time.

      Self Realization and liberation - subtle distinctions

      To put it more simply, with Self Realization, we have
      stillness of mind -- everything is recognized through
      knowing (Self).'

      With liberation, 'nothing is recognized', meaning
      'everything that is not you is recognized through
      knowing (Self).' There is memory of it (nothing) during
      the process of liberation -- that may, or may not,
      become amnesia-related and forgotten after the
      process -- or it couldn't be recognized.

      Fresh as the budding flower
      This fragrance, ever new
      clear water drops
      sliding down the leaves
      ground's thirst is quenched
      breathing in the morning dew.

      Banana plant flower (Stephanie Torbet)

      No Mirror Can Ever Shave

      By C. K. Anavema Reddy
      There is a small piece of conversation from the life of
      Sri Bhagavan which, as far as I am aware, has not
      been recorded. Though brief, it has remained very
      vivid in my memory.

      It was in 1940 that one day one of the devotees
      sitting in the hall raised the topic regarding the utility
      of reading books on religion and philosophy. In reply
      Sri Bhagavan said, "You wake up in the morning and
      look into the mirror and the mirror shows you that you
      have a growth and that you have to get rid of it. You
      may go on looking into any number of mirrors; every
      mirror will tell you the same thing, but no mirror can
      ever shave you. You have to shave yourself. Instead
      of wasting time looking into mirror after mirror it is
      best to start shaving after having looked into the first
      mirror and known the truth."

      "So also all books will tell you the same truth, perhaps
      in slightly different ways. Instead of wasting time
      reading book after book why not realize for yourself
      what was obvious from the very first book."

      Just remembered,
      to re-member
      it takes two.

      viorica weissman  MillionPaths@yahoogroups.com

      The Master of 'WHO AM I ?'

      Pursue the enquiry 'WHO AM I?' relentlessly. Analyse
      your entire personality. Try to find out where the
      I-thought begins. Go on with your meditations. Keep
      turning your attention within. One day the wheel of
      thought will slow down and an intuition will
      mysteriously arise. Follow that intuition,
      let your thinking stop, and it will eventually
      lead you to the goal.

                           &

      The Master of 'I AM' ness

      Delve deeply into the sense "I am" and you will surely
      discover that the perceiving centre is universal, as
      universal as the light that illumines the world. All that
      happens in the universe happens to you, the silent
      witness. On the other hand, whatever is done,is done
      by you, the universal and inexhaustible energy.

      viorica weissman  NamoRamana@yahoogroups.com

      We ought not question whence It comes : there is no
      whence , no coming or going in place : It either
      appears or does not appear. We must not run after It ,
      but we must fit ourselves for the vision and then wait
      tranquilly for it as the eye waits on the rising of the sun
      which in its own time appears above the horizon and
      gives itself to our sight.

      -- Plotinus

      My heart is so small
      it's almost invisible.
      How can You place
      such big sorrows in it?
      "Look," He answered,
      "your eyes are even smaller,
      yet they behold the world."

      ~ Rumi

      ("Whispers of the Beloved" by  Maryam & Azima Melita Kolin)

      Terry Murphy responds to Farishtah (snips) SufiMystic@yahoogroups.com

      Politics and selfless noninvolvement

      Farishtah : . What I am saying is that an individual can
      present *all* of the unvarnished facts to "voters" (as
      opposed to selectively chosen facts designed to influence
      and persuade people to take a certain position) and let
      them make up their own minds, while also having a
      personal position on an issue based on what seems
      to be fair for the community at large. The difference is
      in one's motivations -- whether egoic and for one's
      self, or whether selfless and for one's neighbors. In
      this, we do have semantically differing views of the
      definition of politics.

      Terry: I don't think that what you are envisioning is really
      possible. 'All facts' would be chaos; any presentation
      of facts is selective. I think that letting people make
      up their own minds involves not influencing them at
      all, except in terms of doing the right thing and acting
      on their own consciences. Selflessness encourages
      selflessness, not weighing gains. I think that 'selfless
      politics' is an oxymoron. No political gain is selfless.
      The whole point of life is to become selfless. While I
      don't agree that people can selflessly engage in
      political action, I do understand that people think they
      can and naively try to do so, and I sympathize. 'But I
      was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.'

      The Prophet said (Shah, "Way of the Sufi," p250):
      "More harm is done by fools through foolishness than
      is done by evildoers through wickedness."

      Does being a lawyer or 'working within the system'
      help us to reach ever higher and more selfless ways
      of being? I don't think so. Better to have no need of
      government, be aloof and be selfless, and let the
      state 'wither away,' unneeded and unwanted.
      However distant a goal that may seem to be at the
      moment. Any merits that we gain through political
      action are counterbalanced by the harm suffered by
      losers in the process.

      The person of 'spiritual nature' who appears to be
      actively involved is generally swept up in a very
      suppressive government which cannot tolerate
      individuals of integrity and inner freedom. Not in
      active politics based on issues.

      The truth is found in difficult times by the willingness
      of the spiritual to suffer, not pursuing political gain by
      the established means, or through any science and
      art of manipulation. Of course they are reluctant; but it
      is Truth which gains mightily from their individual
      sacrifice. Only in this way are the truly spiritual
      involved in politics.

      Here is a link:

      A well written and deeply researched article which
      rationally criticizes 'mass media', including the
      entertainment industry, and offers thoughtful insights
      concerning the present state of affairs.

      poems by Li-Young Lee

          Braiding

      Here, what's made, these braids, unmakes
      itself in time, and must be made
      again, within and against
      time. So I braid
      your hair each day.
      My fingers gather, measure hair,
      hook, pull and twist hair and hair.
      Deft, quick, they plait,
      weave, articulate lock and lock, to make
      and make these braids, which point
      the direction of my going, of all our continuous going.
      And though what's made does not abide,
      my making is steadfast, and, besides, there is a making
      of which this making-in-time is just a part,
      a making which abides
      beyond the hands which rise in the combing,
      the hands which fall in the braiding,
      trailing hair in each stage of its unbraiding.

      Li-Young Lee Book of My Nights

          Nativity

      In the dark, a child might ask, What is the world?
      just to hear his sister
      promise, An unfinished wing of heaven,
      just to hear his brother say,
      A house inside a house,
      but most of all to hear his mother answer,
      One more song, then you go to sleep.

      How could anyone in that bed guess
      the question finds its beginning
      in the answer long growing
      inside the one who asked, that restless boy,
      the night's darling?

      Later, a man lying awake,
      he might ask it again,
      just to hear the silence
      charge him, This night
      arching over your sleepless wondering,

      this night, the near ground
      every reaching-out-to overreaches,

      just to remind himself
      out of what little earth and duration,
      out of what immense good-bye,

      each must make a safe place of his heart,
      before so strange and wild a guest
      as God approaches.

      Philip Zaleski Ed. Parabola magazine- current issue on War

      The problem of course, is that war seeks to establish
      order through the harsh tools of disorder. Thus its
      unceasing nightmare quality. Is there any way to
      escape this darkness?

      The discipline of the Knights leaves us with hope, for
      if war has nobility, the noblest of wars is the inner war,
      waged against self-love and self-gratification. The
      highest of wars is the Self at war against the self. All
      of us will face, and some of us will participate, in the
      terrible conflicts of this new century. May we
      remember always that the best preparation for war is
      a heart at peace.

      New list for those who like quotations:

      Nondualgems

      Here's my nondual gem:

      "Yo, Gloria, go out and get me a dozen donuts,
      sweetheart. I'm hungry."

      Even in this dark and windy night
          everything is translucent.

      Light is dancing between the visible and invisible.

      Can you here the soft laughter echoing in the air?

      There is no source for this mirth,
          and so it must be my imagination.

      But if there is no source for this imagination,
          then it must just be soft laughter, echoing in the air.

      I say i am here, you say you are there.
          I wonder how this can be.

      What pours through you swoons in me.
          My blood runs through the veins that connect the galaxies -
          connect the galaxies with soft laughter,
          pouring through these imaginary veins with no source,
          like wine.

      I wonder how this can be -
          invisible pouring into visibility.

      So translucent in this soft laughter!

      I've lost the way back to sobriety.

      The little drops of wine I left to mark my way
          have apparently evaporated -
      laughing softly in the air on this dark and windy night.

      Having things be any different than they are has gone
      the way of wine drops that now connect the galaxies -
      the galaxies that laugh softly in the air, even on this
      dark and windy night.

      I wonder how this can be:

      I set out to find the God who laughs softly in the air,
      forgetting it was I dancing
      between visible and invisible, softly laughing.

      I talked to some people about non-duality. The first
      reaction was ... you mean the bad guys will not be
      punished? [In other words they themselves will not be
      rewarded in heaven for their suffering, for the ill that
      others have done to them?] You see people do not
      want to give up their stories. That is why "good
      guy-bad guy" type stories are so popular. That is why
      the concept of heaven and hell is so acceptable.

      What do you think most peoples day dreams are
      about? I still sometimes get trapped into day dreams
      where I have the power to right wrongs. Hang all the
      bad politicians and rescue the suffering masses. [You
      may understand it better if you live in Africa ... Here
      there is a great need for a superman or a spiderman!
      ... even if it is only in a day dream.]

      My past or my future do not bother me. It is the
      suffering that I see around me. It is like a magnet ...
      to escape from this 'story' is very difficult.

      'What is Truth?' (Pilate to Jesus.)
      Jesus answered with silence.

      Alexander Solzhenitsyn The Gulag Archipelago

      If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil
      people somewhere, insidiously committing evil
      deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them
      from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line
      dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every
      human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of
      his own heart?

      Kheyala: Adventures at Rasa Ranch #71

      11/09/02    "Close Call"

      The other night, the first rains that we've had for eight
      months or so brought with them such mighty winds
      that a two hundred foot pine tree snapped and came
      crashing down. Everything shook. When we grabbed
      our flashlights, we found that the (nearly two hundred
      foot) tree had come to rest with its very tip lying gently
      against the living room wall of our humble abode.

      *Whew!*

      Laughing Buddha smiles as tips of fallen tree gently caress the outside of Kheyala's home.