Wednesday, November 6, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 7, 2002

      Issue #1249

      A wonderful two-part radio commentary on the life of
      Mahatma Gandhi...old, but clear and very interesting.
      Interviews with people close to him.~M

      by Francis Watson
      His Life and Philosophy I:
      His Life and Philosophy II:

      South Asia Books has their early winter discount flyer
      out right now, and one of my all time favorite books is
      on sale. It is the Bhagavad Gita with commentary by
      Mahatma Gandhi. His commentary is considered to one of
      the most revered of modern commentaries, along with S.
      Radhakrishnan's commentary. It is at a rediculously low
      price of 4.50.....that price is just nuts, and everyone
      would do well to get a copy of it. The number of South
      Asia Books is (573) 474-0116. Tell them you want to order
      from the 'Early Winter 2002' flyer, #137.....

      from Allspirit

      From: 'Going Home: Jesus and Buddha as Brothers'
      by Thich Nhat Hanh

      In East Asia, we speak of the human body as a
      mini-cosmos. The  cosmos is our home, and we can touch it
      by being aware of our  body. Meditation is to be still:
      to sit still, to stand still, and to  walk with
      stillness. Meditation means to look deeply, to touch
      deeply so we can realize we are already home. Our home is
       available right here and now.

      Jesus Christ practiced meditation. When John baptized
      Jesus,  he made it possible for the Holy Spirit to be
      born, or manifested,  in Jesus the human being. Then
      Jesus went to the mountain to  spend forty days in
      retreat. He practiced meditation and strength- ened that
      Spirit in order to bring about a total transformation.
      Although it's not recorded in what position he practiced,
      I am sure  he did sitting and walking meditation, and
      that he practiced looking  deeply, touching deeply, and
      nourishing the energy of the Holy Spirit  in him. Maybe
      he sat under a Bodhi tree like the Buddha.

      Jesus had the power to bring joy, happiness, and healing
      to others  because the energy of the Holy Spirit was full
      inside him. We have  the seed of the Holy Spirit in us.
      In the Buddhist circle we speak of  Buddhahood. We speak
      of mindfulness. Mindfulness is the energy  that helps us
      be still; to be present to look deeply and touch deeply
      so that we begin to understand and realize that we are

      Speaking to the Soul

      As I sat in my chair this morning, I was thinking of
      Ramana Maharshi  and how his presence is still felt by
      many people. This is because he  was speaking to the

      Speaking to the soul is something that all awakened
      beings do.  Having  seen through the illusion of
      separation, they transmit truth by just  being in the
      silence, at home in the Self.

      Completion comes first, not last. It involves conscious
      wholeness,  which has the power to heal. Too many
      would-be spiritual students  forget that the mind must be
      left behind.

      Speaking to the soul of someone means that no response is
      required.  Fullness is felt, accepted and returned in
      silence. Vibrations of  value don't come cloaked in
      noise. Words have their place, which is  as an
      instrument, but how many people use them like that?

      A realized being uses words to end your sentence of
      thinking you are  separate from him/her. They never
      expect a response, for that would imply incompletion. If
      and when you find a true teacher, they will be
      transmitting the whole truth and nothing but the truth
      and you will know it.

      Vicki Woodyard

      Greetings Vicki,

      Silence vibrating is Creation

      Silence flowing is Love

      Silence shared is Friendship

      Silence seen is Infinity

      Silence heard is Adoration

      Silence expressed is Beauty

      Silence maintained is Strength

      Silence omitted is Suffering

      Silence allowed is Rest

      Silence re-circled is Scripture

      Silence preserved is Our Tradition

      Silence given is Initiating

      Silence received is Joy

      Silence perceived is Knowledge

      Silence stabilized is Fulfillment

      Silence alone is.

      ~ Author Unknown ~

      The November issue of the TAT Forum is now on-line at

      "V. Krishnamurthy"
      Subject: Re: Gita Satsangh: Chapter 9 - Verses 7 to 10

      (from the Advaitin list)

      We continue our thoughts on Sloka 10.

      The declaration that the Lord is the Ultimate
      Agent-Provocateur of everything in this universe is
      indeed a difficult pill to swallow by those who want to
      swear by the Free Will of Man. The concept of Free Will
      in Hindu Philosophy is too subtle to admit of being boxed
      in a single pigeon-hole. Even in our day to day
      activities we come across incidents which bear testimony
      to the presence of a holistic objective in the powers
      that are beyond us. I myself could give you probably a
      dozen or so of incidents and sequence of incidents in my
      life and lives known to me, that speak very powerfully of
      The Power that is beyond us and that works our way
      through life as an ‘adhyaksha’ (cf. Gita IX – 10).

      But I found a graphic description of such an incident in
      quite an unexpected source. It is a book entitled
      ‘Miracles’ whose author I failed to note. I bumped into
      the book in a Library. It says that the following is a
      true story.

      Two American youngsters living 100 miles south of New
      York plan to spend a Saturday afternoon in a public park
      near New York along with some of their friends (living
      North of New York) who promise to join them at a
      specified time right at the entrance to the park. The
      plan is perfectly made, almost to the minute. But the
      two, on their way to New York meet, first with a tire
      burst (1), then half-way up with a hold-up (2) by no less
      than the sheriff of the area for speedy driving – both
      these incidents taking away two hours from their
      schedule. And then, after the hold-up, when they start
      the car, the engine refused to ignite (3) and this caused
      a further delay of another two hours or so because the
      cause was traced to battery failure. But since they were
      only 25 miles from the park they decided to give a try
      even after the delay, even though they fully knew that
      their friends might have given them up by that time. But
      soon after, they had to negotiate a long diversion of the
      route in view of a nasty accident (4) on the highway
      ahead of them. And this diversion delayed them as much as
      another hour, because they lost their way (5)!

      Thus there were five coincidences all working against
      them and when they finally reached the park it was late
      evening and in fact the park was closing its gates. Still
      they entered and wanted to look for their friends. The
      park was deserted since everybody had left. They were
      about to curse their fate and return to their car when
      they heard cries for help from a lake in the park.
      Rushing there they saw two boys almost drowning. They
      jumped in and being first-aid-certificate holders
      themselves they were able to save the two little boys of
      ten and twelve from certain drowning and death. They
      thought of the sequence of events that happened to them
      during the whole trip. A few minutes earlier they had
      thought that their journey was nothing but futile, and
      that their day had been spent in vain, but now it became
      clear it was not so; because if they had not arrived at
      that late hour near that lake, those two boys would have
      died by drowning!

      This is a true story. It appears the Almighty has a
      purpose for everything! (Sloka 10 !). Then what does it
      mean to say ‘udAsInavad-AsInaM’ (Sloka 9) ? This
      conundrum is the YOGAMAYA (VII – 25) of the Lord!

      praNAms to all advaitins

      Prof. V. Krishnamurthy
      My website on Science and Spirituality is
      <http://www.geocities.com/profvk/> You can access my book
      on Gems from the Ocean of Hindu Thought Vision and
      Practice, and my father R. Visvanatha Sastri's
      manuscripts from the site.