Monday, November 4, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 6, 2002
      Issue #1248 - Monday, November 4, 2002 - Edited by Jerry

      HARSHA

      Dear friends:

      Wishing you all a happy Dewali!

      On Dewali, in India, people light candles at night. It
      reminded me of this poem I wrote some time back...We
      are Like Candle Lights

      We are like candle lights
      shining on each other
      warming the air around us
      and wherever the wind of change
      placed our flame
      we would not do anything different.
      For those whom life has broken
      who hear the unspoken truth
      always from the Heart,
      no choice but to love
      however silently.

      Love to all
      Harsha

      -----------------------------

      Since we consider many possibilities, we can consider the
      possibility, that thoughts and imagination can come to a
      halt in love, and thus the notion of any and all
      possibilities can be undermined.

      Advaita is really about the end of all possibilities and
      being prior to all possibilities. When an Advaita sage
      says, Nothing ever happened ....this is what is meant...
      at least this is as far as words can go. It cannot be
      fully grasped by the mind because the mind is all about
      possibilities. So that is the paradox -- to see that
      possibilities may have an end and see it within the
      context of possibilities, as a possibility.

      We are not separate from whatever possibilities exist in
      our imagination. If the construct of "I" is investigated
      carefully in silence, self-awareness, and
      self-observation, all possibilities may still be
      possible, and yet can have nothing to hold on to. Just
      like a magnet that loses its charge no longer attracts
      iron specks, The "I" that merges in the Heart does not
      attract possibilities and whether anything is still
      possible becomes a moot point.

      When breathing in and breathing out are the same, and
      when becoming and being are one, that is the known as the
      joining of Shiva and Shakti. That is the consummation of
      love.

      The amazing thing is that the Lord of the Heart, The
      Heart of the Universe, reveals It Self as One's Own
      Being, The True Beloved.
      --Harsha

      Excerpt from Weaver's Wisdom:

      There is no baser folly than the infatuation  that looks
      upon the ephemeral as if it were everlasting.

      Amassing great wealth is gradual, like the gathering of a
      theater crowd. Its dispersal is sudden, like that same
      crowd departing.

      Wealth's nature is to be unenduring. Upon acquiring it,
      quickly do that which is enduring.

      Though it seems a harmless gauge of time, to those who
      fathom it,  a day is a saw steadily cutting down the tree
      of life.

      Do good deeds with a sense of urgency, before death's
      approaching rattle strangles the tongue.

      What wondrous greatness this world possesses-- that
      yesterday a man was, and today he is not.

      Men do not know if they will live another moment, yet
      their thoughts are ten million and more.

      The soul's attachment to the body is like that of a
      fledgling,  which forsakes its empty shell and flies
      away.

      Death is like falling asleep, and birth is like waking
      from that sleep.

      Not yet settled in a permanent home, the soul takes
      temporary shelter in a body.

      -----

      from <http://www.himalayanacademy.com/books/weaver/content.htm>

      STEFAN
      from The Other Syntax

      Expansion and contraction

      The basic function of each being is expanding and
      contracting.  Expanded beings are permeative; contracted
      beings are dense and  impermeative. Therefore each of us,
      alone or in combination, may  appear as space, energy, or
      mass, depending on the ratio of expansion  to contraction
      chosen, and what kind of vibrations each of us  expresses
      by alternating expansion and contraction. Each being
      controls his own vibrations.

      A completely expanded being is space. Since expansion is
      permeative,  we can be in the "same space" with one or
      more other expanded beings.  In fact, it is possible for
      all the entities in the universe to be  one space.

      We experience expansion as awareness, comprehension,
      understanding,  or whatever we wish to call it. When we
      are completely expanded, we  have a feeling of total
      awareness, of being one with all life. At  that level we
      have no resistance to any vibrations or interactions of
      other beings. It is timeless bliss, with unlimited choice
      of  consciousness, perception, and feeling.

      --Thaddeus Golas

      GT
      from The Other Syntax

      Redeploying Energy to Dream

      Every time he had an opportunity, don Juan pointed out
      that the  energy needed to release our dreaming attention
      from its  socialization prison comes from redeploying our
      existing energy.  Nothing could have been truer. The
      emergence of our dreaming  attention is a direct
      corollary of revamping our lives. Since we  have, as don
      Juan said, no way to plug into any external source for a
      boost of energy, we must redeploy our existing energy, by
      whatever  means available.

      Don Juan insisted that the sorcerers' way is the best
      means to  oil, so to speak, the wheels of energy
      redeployment, and that of all  the items in the
      sorcerers' way, the most effective is "losing self-
      importance." He was thoroughly convinced that this is
      indispensable  for everything sorcerers do, and for this
      reason he put an enormous  emphasis on guiding all his
      students to fulfill this requirement. He  was of the
      opinion that self-importance is not only the sorcerers'
      supreme enemy but the nemesis of mankind.

      The Second Gate of Dreaming
      THE ART OF DREAMING
      Carlos Castaneda

      AMRITA OSBORNE
      from Daily Dharma

      "'My enemies, like Buddha's very blessing, Bar my way to
      plunging into suffering, Determined as I am to do so. How
      can I be angry with them?'~Shantideva

      If we cannot bear the harm our enemies do to us and
      instead get angry, we are ourselves an obstacle to
      achieving an immensely postivie action. Nothing can exist
      without a cause, and there can be no practice of patience
      without their being people who wrong us.

      There are many opportunities for charity - so many in
      need. But those who make us angry and test our patience
      are relatively few, so when we encounter these rare
      enemies we should really appreciate them.~The Dalai Lama

      'Like a treasure found at home, Enriching me without
      fatigue, Enemies are helpers in the Bodhisattva life,
      They should be a pleasure and a joy to me.'"~Shantideva

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      From the book, "A Flash of Lightening In The Dark of
      Night," the Dalai Lama's commentary on Shantideva's
      "Way of The Bodhisattva," published by Shambhala.

      NATURE NOTES:

      MARK OTTER
      from NDS

      http://www.womensearlyart.net/idio/sound_efx.html

      SU GANDOLF

      The one show in this series that I've seen
      totally blew me away... the richness
      of life and nature in the himalayas is
      incredible. I had no idea.

      http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/india/