Sunday, November 3, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2002
      .

      "We can only wait here, where we are in the world, obedient to its processes,
      patient in its taking away, faithful to its returns.  And as much as we may
      know, and all that we deserve of earthly paradise will come to us."
      Wendell Berry ,  Full Quote: http://www1.ocn.ne.jp/~ikiru/berry.html

      HIGHLIGHTS # 1247
      Sunday, November 3, 2002
      Edited by Gloria

      JERRY KATZ
      NDS

      Comments relating to The Highlights are certainly welcome here (NDS), as the
      Highlights is not a discussion list. Many people write only the five editors
      when they have comments, and the larger public doesn't get to see those
      comments. Join NDS here: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NondualitySalon/>

      You are also welcome to write the editors and feedback is much appreciated.

      JERRY

      Mark McCloskey's report on his trip to Arunachala, with photographs, can
      be read at <http://nonduality.com/markmc.htm>

      "...nothing distinguished this place from the surrounding houses, stores
      and driveways. Beggars sat outside with outstretched hands, cows laid
      quietly near; people walked in and out, back and forth. No, I did not
      get any sense of any specialness about this place - perhaps this would
      be the true meaning of this trip for me."
      _________________________________

      XAN
      MillionPaths

      "Peace of mind"
      as a concept is,
      in many ways,
      misleading
      because the mind
      is rarely peaceful.

      The mind is, in fact --
      and by its very nature --
      characterized by
      movement and activity.

      Peace is, instead,
      the Background of Reality
      -- and Awareness --
      against which
      all the movement
      of the mind occurs.

      The question always is:
      with which do you identify?

      --Metta Zetty

      _________________________________

      MACE MEALER
      Illuminata

                    Grist For The Mill

          The more real one becomes
             The less the fictional
             maintain a tolerance for them.
             We hold our delusions close
             like a ragged blanket
             against the ethereal wind of truth.
             Knowing all the while
             that when one touches the other
             like fire and water
             both are dispelled
             into a timeless emptiness,
             and thus who does not fear
             joining the sky
             without wings.
      _________________________________

      JAN BARENDRECHT
      NDS

      When the earth was flat

      sun where is your boat?
      reading navigation books
      won't keep you afloat

      _________________________________

      VIORICA WEISSMAN
      MillionPaths

      The ego, in its desperation for survival, goes so far as to make even  the
      concept of itself - the idea of a limited, embodied person -  an object of
      thought, thereby creating the illusion that it has been apprehended.

      The seeker thus deluded might spend a lifetime scrutinizing and studying
      his  captive prize. But he must eventually ask, "Who is he that has so
      admirably apprehended the ego?"

      Thus will he see how his captive ego is a decoy only, and the real culprit
      exists still, strengthened even, by a new invisibility.

      ----by Ira
      from RAMANA SMRTI Souvenir
      _________________________________

      PETE SEESAW
      DirectApproach

      Realization

      Hi Greg:

      Despite my intention to end this thread and shut up because realization
      and knowing don't mix too well, your question is too revealing to be left
      unanswered.

      The un-brokenness is more a function of the "I" which comes and goes
      hiding realization, like sunlight hides the stars. The presence of the I point
      of view is necessary for many practical activities like holding a job. Of
      course, I'm talking about a narrowing of attention to relativity, memories,
      goals, datelines, etc. Once that narrowing is relaxed the symptoms of
      realization return. It's as if we realize all over again and the newness
      never wears out. Maybe a Hermit doesn't need to dust the I into action
      anymore, but that isn't the case for most westerners.

      Now, I want to underline again the purpose of this thread: There are many
      people who have realized and keep searching because they have been
      lead to believe in a too glorious, realization in which the 'I' sense fades
      never to return.

      What do you think?

      Pete
      _________________________________

      GREG GOODE
      DirectApproach

      Hi Pete,

      Actually, I like this thread! But if others don't like it, I'll let it die....

      I see what you're saying, and agree that the notion of realization shouldn't
      turn into an idealized expectation.

      As the word realization is used, it's both vague (murky, unclear) and
      ambiguous (used in many different ways). There is nothing that I think
      realization really is. But I can question the presuppositions behind the way
      the word is used.

      The presence of an "I" point of view. How is this different from the
      presence of the sound of a barking dog? Neither one is closer than the
      other. Neither one is more yours than the other. Maybe they differ in
      frequency, but heck, this stuff ain't math!

      I think you might be defining realization as the dropping of the "I" point of
      view. After which, that view might return.

      There are problems with such a definition of realization. It characterizes it
      as something psychological. It posits realization as a certain stream of
      thoughts. And this stream of thoughts just happens to lack certain kinds of
      thoughts -- ones that have a belief-component of an "I". But this definition
      leaves in place the one who has the thoughts, as well as the presence of
      other kinds of thoughts.

      This definition seems tantamount to saying "Wow, I'm no longer
      self-obsessed!"

      Love,

      --Greg
      _________________________________

      LEE LOVE
      from his website

      "We can say that Buddhist practice has two aspects: to constantly seek
      Truth and to go into the human world.

      "If you want to be a pianist, devote yourself to studying and practicing the
      piano. This is the mind that seeks Truth. But though you may eventually
      reach a lofty stage as a musician, it is not good enough. You have to
      descend into the human world as well. Your life, your presence, your
      personality must touch people's hearts directly. This means you have to go
      beyond being a pianist.

      "It is relatively easy to teach people to be musicians, but it is not so easy to
      teach them how to go beyond being a musician. If you would teach this to
      others, your mind must be based on compassion. When you teach, you
      have to pierce the human heart and take away the flag of ego. So your
      compassion must extend beyond the words you use. Then your
      penetrating words will teach and not injure."

       --Dainin Katagiri Roshi

      http://www1.ocn.ne.jp/~ikiru/
      ________________________________

      ERIC ASHFORD
      TrueVision

      Writing Poetry 3

      The rain has fell
      and the cloud it fell from
      has fallen upwards into the sky ocean.
      Now the ground is wet with the sky.
      If I look deep into any puddle
      I can see showery rain gods
      dancing their way into the past.
      Looking through this reflection,
      a wet poem is left
      as this moments footprint.
      Rain drops on blades of grass
      just suspended there
      like words before they are spoken.

      photo by Alan Larus
      _________________________________

      DAN BERKOW
      ConsciousnessIsAll

      (an oldie but goodie, reposted by Tim G.)

      Oy vey!

      Who's in charge here?
      Who's driving this nondual
         R.V.?
      I went up to the front of
         the R.V., and no one was
         at the steering wheel ...

      Someone told me he
         met the nondual movement
         on the road, killed it,
         and yet it multiplied!

      Help!

      Lost in the worst of all possible
         nightmares, a dream in which
         everyone claims to be waking
         up -- it's like the energizer bunny,
         it goes on and on ...

      Good thing you have a sense
         of humor about this, Jerry.

      I'm leaving the driving to you!

      A dream with no boundaries
         is a bit excessive don't you think?
      If it ever could have gotten started,
         someone might be able to
         steer it somewhere.

      Love,
      Dan
      _________________________________

      MATTHEW FILES
      GuruRatings

      The experience of reality, Union, Oneness, No-thing, pure awareness,
      the Awakened state, satori---so what?

      So many teachers in their incredibly naive and unconscionable  ignorance
      mislead their students by leading them to think that when  they realize this
      pure state of consciousness, of As-it-is, for a  moment, that they have
      realized something profound, great,  Enlightened. What a disgrace. Yes, in
      the very moment of that  realization, the now of that moment is eternal and
      the pristine,  stainless awareness of that moment is True. But to imply that
      that  carries over into the next moment, to actually certify someone as
      having attained that state as a constant, as a hallmark, as an  ongoing
      useable state is almost criminal. What really defines the  Awakened state
      is an Awakened Condition, stable over long periods of  time, like a
      lifetime, and Present at all times. The rare spikes out  of ego into
      ego-transcendence, as long as those spikes fall back into  ego again, which
      is the almost exclusive expression of such states,  is nothing but an isolated
      experience, one of the infinite number of  experiences every human
      being is always having. If the Awakened Mind,  Buddha Mind isn't
      always ever awake, always ever here, now, in every  moment unto
      forever, then it isn't what it is labeled as, and anyone  told that it is by the
      teacher, mentor, guru, whom they trust is  being robbed of integrity and
      possibility. Awakening is an ongoing,  unbroken, timeless spaceless, clear
      undefinable, lawful complex or  grid that is only recognizable over time
      and in space, never  otherwise. This tragic epidemic of so-called gurus
      passing the  mantle, knighting every student that has some temporary,
      even minor,  epiphany and who is smart enough to babble an intelligable
      non- dualistic dharma, is a great stain on contemporary spirituality and  the
      impeccable integrity of the vital living traditions of actual  Realization.